Which Category Does PLG Fit Into Now?
  • I've noticed that the former Crown Heights & PLG category is now just labeled Crown Heights, so should PLG-related posts go on the Flatbush/Midwood/Ditmas Park category now? After all, we're the northern tip of Flatbush and just share a Community Planning Board with Crown Heights.
  • Do you think PLG will survive as a distinct neighborhood in the minds of the majority?

As a result of the increasing similarities with Crown Heights (socio-economic, not architectural....) I view PLG as a fading identity.
  • I can add a PLG category if there is enough interest, or I can add back PLG to Crown Heights - which is preferable
  • i vote to leave PLG with Crown Heights. 

i live at the southern edge of Crown Heights near the Crown Heights-PLG border. i venture into PLG more often than deeper into Crown Heights anyway (especially to take the Q train).
  • Brooklynian-
    Creating a seperate PLG section may resolve the issue here, but I have observed PLG disappearing from maps and newspaper articles.

For those unaware, the neighborhood is now getting a wave of young people similar the one that was priced out of Prospect Heights in 2008, and western Crown Heights in 2010.
  • DNA.info doesn't have a separate section for it. It tends to lump news for it under the Crown Heights/Prospect Heights section. (I think Prospect Heights should be split off from Crown Heights in terms of news coverage, but that's another story.) :)
  • For the time being I'd leave it with Crown Heights. The Flatbush/Midwood board is pretty slow, and I find many people on the CH board have at least some relationship to the neighborhood.
  • IMO a separate section for Prospect Lefferts Gardens might be best. Combining it with Flatbush would make the most sense historically, because the neighborhood IS in Flatbush, but we've been associated with Crown Heights on this list for years, so adding us back to CH would be perfectly acceptable.

As a homeowner in PLG for nearly 40 years I can't agree with Whynot's statement that "As a result of the increasing similarities with Crown Heights (socio-economic, not architectural....) I view PLG as a fading identity"–IMO we've VERY different from Crown Heights for numerous reasons.

• Does anyone here regularly reference Wingate as a place?

neighl

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/neighbor/neighl.shtml
  • bobmarvin said:

IMO we've VERY different from Crown Heights for numerous reasons.

i.e. Historically landmarked brownstones.

• RE: Wingate; it's apparently named after the high school, but I've always considered it the part of East Flatbush that's in CB 9.
  • homeowner said:

For the time being I'd leave it with Crown Heights. The Flatbush/Midwood board is pretty slow, and I find many people on the CH board have at least some relationship to the neighborhood.

Agreed. It's not really about nabe boundaries or if it's is called this or that -that is a whole 'nuther argument and disscussion that everyone is welcome to have but it's not the issue at hand here. For the purpose of this message board it is more useful to have it grouped together. Unless the the amount of posts for PGL match the ones for CH then we will make it it's own group. In the end your post will get more views and comments if it is located in a high traffic group like the CH board. And that is really what you want right now, to have people looking and talking about your stuff not missing it because it's in a slow-traffic area.
  • And again regarding "Wingate"; I don't think that name was widely used by residents while Prospect Lefferts Gardens (sometimes shortened to Lefferts Gardens, or just Lefferts) IS the commonly used name for my neighborhood. 

In any case, since PLG is the northern tip of Flatbush it CAN'T be part of Crown Heights since that neighborhood was in Brooklyn, before that city annexed the rest of Kings County in 1894. There's still that brass strip in the Botanic Garden showing the dividing line between the City of Brooklyn and the Town of Flatbush.
  • When I last checked, a person who closely resembles those who previously lived in Prospect Heights and western Crown Heights was spotted dancing her way thru PLG into Ditmas and Flatbush.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/43814/are-you-ready-flatbush-and-ditmas-park-here-she-comes#Item_13

Hold on, I'll check 1010 News to see if anyone has called it into their Traffic Report.

...hell, its 2014, let's just check Google traffic.

• That video is a bit behind the curve, @whynot_31. That demographic has been making inroads for a little while. I see them daily at the Prospect Park train station. :) 
  • And very cute she is, but in that video Olivia only danced as far south as the Maple–Midwood block of Flatbush, clearly in PLG.

That last Flatbush tollgate has been in Prospect Park, instead of at Flatbush and Winthrop, for nearly 100 years, so the way is clear for anyone to freely dance, stroll, ride, or drive down Flatbush.
  • I agree that there are people like Oliva, ahead of Olivia....

But she is headed your direction!

• "For those unaware, the neighborhood is now getting a wave of young people similar the one that was priced out of Prospect Heights in 2008, and western Crown Heights in 2010" 

Nothing new; 40 years ago I was one of the wave of young people priced out of Park Slope (I was 29 when I bought my house). The big difference is that with house prices so damned high the current crop of YP are all renting apartments.
  • @bobmarvin I think it would be great to get some more PLG-specific posts. I'm leaning toward separating it out into its own category now unless anybody is strenuously objecting.
  • The only problem with a PLG-only category might be that Brooklynian is relatively unknown here. Our local Lefferts Yahoo list is widely used and it may be too late to start a similar service. FWIW I'd use it
  • Personally, I'd prefer to have them lumped back together, if for no other reason than I live south of the Parkway, and so PLG news is often just as relevant as news from further east or north of the Parkway.
  • @mcpoet good point - easier to access posts rather than splitting it out.
  • homeowner said:

For the time being I'd leave it with Crown Heights. The Flatbush/Midwood board is pretty slow, and I find many people on the CH board have at least some relationship to the neighborhood.

Bring them to me!!  Ditmas Park needs people talking - and maybe PLG people will start posting and then other people will....Crown Heights gets all the posts.  :-/
  • Don't be afraid to drum up some business!

I recently had 500 business cards created for $15, and have been passing them out to store owners and customers at bars.    Yours could say PLG or Ditmas Park!

Business Card-1
  • 24 Comments here v. 1 (my original post) in the Flatbush category. I think PLG should stay here, although I would really like the category to revert to it's previous name.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions