Major fire in Turner Towers on Eastern Parkway at about midnight Thursday night. Thick black smoke and flames pouring out of an apartment on the back on the building, about 2/3 of the way up. Many fire trucks on the scene. 
  • Turner Towers = 135 Eastern Parkway

Apt 12-C was source of fire.     Smoke and water damage is present on adjoining floors 

No injuries known at this time.

Media is reporting it went to 3 Alarms.    
  • One EMS blog is reporting a 3 alarm fire with people trapped. Several firefighters being treated for injuries on the scene. There is currently an NYFD helicopter doing slow laps around the bldg at low altitude. Very loud.
  • Resident of the building reports:

-Fire is extinguished.

-There are no known injuries. 

-Extensive smoke and water damage to apartments on floors 11, 12, and 13 located near the C line. 

-Red Cross is on scene, and is offering shelter to residents of apartments that are no longer habitable. 
  • I live in adjacent building and around midnight or a little earlier heard explosions, glass shattering and flaming debris falling into courtyard we share with 135. Never seen more fire trucks and police in one place ever. Haven't heard of any injuries at this time. Our apt reeks of smoke and debris is still hitting our windows.
  • I live in adjacent building and around midnight or a little earlier heard explosions, glass shattering and debris falling into courtyard we share with 135. Never seen more fire trucks and police in one place ever. Haven't heard of any injuries. Debris still hitting our windows.
  • BhifIyAIIAAouXj-1

photo embedded in tweet by @AlwaysActions, taken at approximately 12:20 AM
  • Photo of the response fleet.
  • Photo on the morning after:

The brown stuff is icicles, caused by water used to fight fire.
  • I can't imagine what the effected residents are going through. Losing your home and your largest investment in one event must be devastating. 
  • Nightmare.  Exacerbated by being out during the harsh winter. 
  • 4 apartments received significant damage:   11C, 11D, 12C, and 12D.

All other apartments have received the OK from FDNY to move back in.   
    ...but many have "less significant" smoke and water damage. 
  • I own an apartment in a building like this and I always assumed my property insurance would cover all damage. I just checked my policy and I have 50k in building property protection and 40k in personal property protection. For something like this that would probably not be sufficient. Scary. Hope the people affected are able to rebuild.
  • Video of fire before most FDNY units arrived: 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152038579312663
  • So glad no one was hurt. My heart goes out to the families that were affected, so sad.
  • @tf_135_EP welcome! Your photo didn't load correctly at first but I think I fixed it.
  • @ErinKeithEtta welcome to Brooklynian! Glad to hear you are OK.
  • @ErinKeithEtta: Sorry to hear about the smoke damage to your apartment, but glad to hear it was not worse. By the way, it is often necessary to hire a professional to clean smoke out of an apartment. If you need a reference, ServPro is really good: http://www.servpro.com/ They cleaned up my cousin's place after a fire.
  • It is now one week later.

While their apartments are legally able to be occupied, the residents of three nearby apartments are now seeking places to stay for the next approximately 4 months while contractors repair their apartments.

The apartment that was the source of the fire, 12-C, is not inhabitable and repairs can not begin on it until the insurance companies for all of the damaged apartments do investigations.   These investigations are in addition to the one being conducted by FDNY.

Inbox me if you know of a landlord looking to do a short term rental. Cash (aka no lease) is ok.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook