best egg sandwich in the hood?
  • So far the best I've had is at the deli counter at Compare Foods.  But they're not open in time for my morning commute.

The bodegas scare me a little-- any of them frying up some magic?

• Deli at Prospect and Franklin is my current go-to, across from Roscoe's. Nice guy, good sandwich, $3.50 w/ bacon and cheese.
  • The bagel place on St. Marks just east of Franklin is very good.
  • Lincoln Station. Great egg sandwich, although its a little high-brow.
  • The magazine shop above the 7th ave Q train stop, all the way in the back. I used to go there often when I worked crazy hours. CHEAP! And interesting characters in there"
  • Cafe Allegra on St Marks and Franklin is amazing. Bacon egg and cheese on an everything bagel beats many others I've had in the city. If you want a classic bacon egg and cheese on a deli roll, hit up Shorey Deli on Lincoln Pl and Franklin.
  • ...The bodega's scare you?

I think Shorey's Deli (Franklin and Lincoln) has a good egg and cheese on a roll...although I don't know if I've ever ordered that at a bodega and not been pleased with the results...
  • Thanks all!  On your recs, I tried Allegria's sandwich (solid) and the deli on Prospect (solid as well.)  Lincoln Station's I've had, and it's fantastic, just a little out of my way in the morning.

Someone should open a hip, single-item breakfast sandwich place.  I think it would be a hit.

• Brooklyn Sub on Bergen and Washington is great. I recently tried a fancier one at Wedge and was thoroughly impressed as well. Avoid Olde Brooklyn Bagel Shop on Vanderbilt at all costs. They've yet to correctly make my order in roughly six attempts.
  • Have you tried Nostrand Avenue Bagels between Dean and Atlantic?  They're fairly new, but I've gotten a few bagel sandwiches from them and they're solid.  Bagels are all made in-house.  I'm not an egg guy, but the other ingredients I've had have all been quite good.
  • Thanks all!  On your recs, I tried Allegria's sandwich (solid) and the deli on Prospect (solid as well.)  Lincoln Station's I've had, and it's fantastic, just a little out of my way in the morning.

Someone should open a hip, single-item breakfast sandwich place.  I think it would be a hit.

Didn't About Time become Taste Buds and try just that? I know their hours weren't great but it seemed that neither was the foot traffic into the shop...
  • Yes, they tried that and upscale sandwiches in general.

As a result of their "pretty well executed" business, I concluded that a business which provided space to eat and relied merely on breakfast and lunch can't succeed.

I believe that such a business needs to offer dinner, beer and/or delivery in order to survive.  

• I don't know; I went in there for lunch one time, and it took forever for the guy behind the counter (who I think was the owner) to make me a simple sandwich. We had a conversation about sodas in which he revealed that he'd never had and was wary of trying Manhattan Special espresso soda, although they stocked it.

The sandwich was only okay. I didn't go back. 

I don't think the business model was the problem! 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Tagged