Purity Diner - Closed by Health Dept.
  • After a city health department inspection Tuesday, the Purity Diner was ordered closed. Here's the report - pretty damned foul --
    =======================
    Violations from 08/10/2010 Inspection
    Tip! "Critical" violations are displayed as items 1-7 here; were in red print in DOH report

Violation points: 76

Establishment Closed by DOHMH. Violations were cited in the following area(s) and those requiring immediate action were addressed.

Sanitary Violations
    1) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
    2) Appropriately scaled metal stem-type thermometer or thermocouple not provided or used to evaluate temperatures of potentially hazardous foods during cooking, cooling, reheating and holding.
    3) Live roaches present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
    4) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
    5) Hand washing facility not provided in or near food preparation area and toilet room. Hot and cold running water at adequate pressure to enable cleanliness of employees not provided at facility. Soap and an acceptable hand-drying device not provided.
    6) Insufficient or no refrigerated or hot holding equipment to keep potentially hazardous foods at required temperatures.
    7) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
    8) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
  • noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • if im not mistaken the same guy owns the park slope diner on 5 ave and that new green cafe thing three doors away
  • I ate at the Purity Diner 2 years ago and it was disgusting. Every time I walk by that place, I gag. This was just a matter of time.
  • Sloperson wrote: I ate at the Purity Diner 2 years ago and it was disgusting. Every time I walk by that place, I gag. This was just a matter of time.

:roll: They've been around for years and years.....
  • I remember when they were on Union & 7th. They were a dump back then as well. Which was a shame because the original owners ran a quality restaurant.

the only redeeming factor they had, is they were right across the street from the methodist emergency room.
  • Gross. :pukel: :pukel: :pukel:
  • Park Slope Diner and Green Kitchen are owned by the same family.
    They are in no way connected to the Purity Diner at all.
  • eggcream wrote: [quote=Sloperson]I ate at the Purity Diner 2 years ago and it was disgusting. Every time I walk by that place, I gag. This was just a matter of time.

:roll: They've been around for years and years.....

I agree with both of you.
  • Purity was nowhere to be found in that joint.
  • Okay purists, they are not affiliated in any way.
  • can't one have pure dirt?
  • What's with all the Purity hate, I thought it was everyone's favorite PS diner! And so if it isn't, what is?
  • What's the connection with Little Purity? I actually like that place.
  • Purity seems to have managed to reopen in record time.
  • kind of an ironic name...
  • Subject: Park Slope eateries

Jeez I've eaten there a few times and thought it seemed fine! Unlike that pit Park Cafe on 7th near Berkeley.

Why cant someone open a decent diner/informal american restaurant. Clean, pleasant atmosphere. Is that really beyond the capabilities of people? WTF?? The only thing approaching it was the old second street cafe of several years ago...
  • eat here all the time (and have never been sick) so I was really disguisted by this. i feel really bad for the staff there - most of them are extremely sweet and this is obviously going to have an impact on their tips.
  • 8thandPrez wrote: What's the connection with Little Purity? I actually like that place.

They share the same menu and I think the same owner.

Little Purity is my favorite breakfast spot. I am concerned that since they share the same owner, they probably share the same violations. Shit runs downhill.
  • Blah I don't like LP as much as I liked Purity. Honestly though I don't think there are any really great diners around here. Anyone have any suggestions for anything below Prospect Ave?
  • Daisey's? I think Donut's pretty great, too.
  • i like the o ne between 8/9 st on fifth ave myself
  • I like Dizzy's, at the corner of 8th Avenue and 9th Street. It's dinerish but doesn't have the feel of a greasy spoon establishment like Purity.
  • Dizzy's is the reason I keep ending up at Donut. Yeah, it's fine, but a 45 minute wait for pancakes?
  • I go to Dizzy's for The Onion. Other than that, I can't stand all the loitering people outside blocking the entire corner and the subway entrance. I guess they own the concrete.
  • Go to DAISY'S DINER ON 5TH AVE rated a by the health dept buzz has it best diner there is around here

don't forget is a diner so don't expect gourmet :)

their delivery is outstanding 7/24

• Wait a second. Is this even true? No. The Purity is open right now. Anyone bother to call and check?

Why are you posting a health inspection notice that is 6 months old?

Nevermind, I just realized this whole post is 6 months old. I thought this just happened.

• This is a 6 month old thread that was bumped by this person promoting daisys.

• Daisy's is one of my least favorite diners in the area. The food is fine, but the people there seem so unhappy and miserable like it's some sort of lost island of the damned. But I like that it's named after a dog.

I like Donuts, now that my Grecian Corner is gone. Maybe we should do a rating the diners of PS post?

• My theory as to why the people of Daisy often have the "lost, island of the damn feel" is because it attracts the people who play Bingo on 5th Ave. After the Bingo game (that happens at least twice a day) it's time for a meal and a linger at Daisy.

• So you noticed it too Veets? I don't know about your theory though. The 5th Ave Diner is closer to the bingo place, and better than Daisys. Wouldn't they likely go there?

In general, if employees are unhappy its usually because of their employers, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I didn't get the sense they resented the customers (service was fine), just that they resented being there or being alive.

• I usually don't get that depressing vibe at Daisey's myself. The manager is pretty cool. Now, the checkout lines at C-Town, different story for a different thread.

I dunno. I love eating at Daisey's and getting the vibrations from the F train going underneath.

• Piano.. I have lived her 30 years and the Bingo crowd has been going to Daisy (even before it was that name) for 30 years and many of those people have been playing Bingo there for 30 years. I think the service is fine in Daisy (and the other diner as well). The vibe is not depressing exactly and the people woking there are doing a decent job.

• For me.. the strange is the the clientelle. But.. Hey.. I eat there so I am part of the "problem."

• Well I haven't been there in a couple of years, so maybe they've cheered up. I never had any problem there with anything. But the workers always seemed so sad it was palpable.

• Daiseys has been closed by the health department in recent memory too...I like the place between 8/9 street on fifth

• I believe that's the The 5th Ave Diner you're thinking of that you like. That place is very good, though I've only been a couple of times. On Menupages.com it's the top-rated diner in the Slope.

• If you're in South Slope a good little diner just opened not long ago- Express Coffee Shop on 5th ave and 23rd st. A real mom and pop place which seems to be very clean and the food is good and cheap!

• Looks like an entity called "L. A. BURRITO III INC."  has applied for a kitchen inspection at this address. 

The L.A. Burrito locations in williamsburg and bushwick have middling reviews:

• Nice. That is definitely worthy of its own thread!

I wonder if the chain is going under, and the one is Prospect Heights on Underhill and Dean is next:
  • actually, i believe it's the prospect heights location that's going to become a burrito bar. THe application was for 43 underhill. sorry -- i hadn't realized this conversation was about park slope. Anyway, I created a new thread for the L.A. Burrito bar: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/43891/purity-diner-to-become-burrito-bar

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook