South of EP: The church at Rogers between Carrol and Crown is next to go
  • readers, it is going to be a big one!

Brownstoner wrote: It looks like the Crown Heights development boom is finally making it south of Eastern Parkway with a planned five-story residential building at 267 Rogers Avenue between Carroll and Crown streets. New building applications filed last month show a 112,256-square-foot building with 165 apartments. The architects are Think Architecture and Design PLLC.

The property is part of the St. Ignatius Catholic Church complex next to Medgar Evers College, and demolition applications have already been filed to knock down the church’s community hall (pictured). As far as we can tell, the actual church building will remain. Public records indicate the church still owns the land, but the site may have changed hands recently since the building permits list an LLC as the owners.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013/11/big-apartment-building-planned-for-crown-heights-south-on-church-lot/#comments

No privately owned green space seems safe.

• Curbed's picked it up too:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/11/13/crown_heights_church_to_be_razed_replaced_with_apartments.php

And unlike Brownstoner, it's saying the church itself will be demolished as well. Kind of a sad fate, but I hadn't realized it'd been boarded up and that three years ago its parish was merged with St. Francis of Assisi. The grounds used to be rather beautiful.

• Catholic parishes are having a hard time keeping members.

I imagine it is very tempting for the diocese leadership to look for buyers of some of these properties, without ever giving the remaining members a voice.

• In some parallel universe in my mind, all the storefront churches on Rogers unite their congregations, join with St. Francis to renovate the church, raise the roof, and move in. The storefronts no longer needed for churches become shops and restaurants.

I know reality works differently, but man, that would be nice.

• It's also that the neighborhood is made up of different religions, not as many Roman Catholics. Lots of Baptists and Pentecostals and lots of Haitian houses of God in the area. So, like many of the synagogues in the area, the building outlasted the congregation.

• Yes, but I too like GRWD's world.

If I am correct about his/her world, the building and the property would belong to those who wish to worship god, in whatever way their faith prescribes.

In GWRD's world, the grounds would resemble the chapels that served the various military bases I grew up on as a child: Whenever a different faith needed to use it, they adapted it as needed:

-In most cases, religious leaders from the surrounding areas held the services. In some cases, the same military chaplin adapted his speech and attire to match those of his audience's expectations.

-I was about 10 when I learned that the Jews would throw a sheet over the crucified Jesus, because -one day- they forgot to remove it before the Catholics were to hold Saturday evening mass.

-I assume in GRWD's world, his association of worshippers would not need to outbid private developers.

Yes, the world at Rogers and Carol is far different.

• whynot, You're 80-90% right.

There's still capitalism in my mind's parallel universe - it's a parallel universe, not a total fantasy.

Ideally, St. Francis would've just sold the air rights, and the "Worshippers Association, LLC" would've put up a 10-20 story tower somewhere nearby (similar to what St. Philip's did on the corner of Throop and Lafayette). They'd get rid of the fence and let the spacious grounds become a privately owned public plaza, getting them an FAR bonus. And the storefront churches (who would've bought the buildings back in the day for pennies on the dollar, obviously) would hire a savvy real estate attorney that lets them make the most of their tax-exempt status, so that the whole thing actually makes some sense.

But I digress.

• I love portable air rights!

Attn Aspiring Bar Owners:

In addition to having a future base of comparitively wealthy customers, this area may now be completely devoid of houses of worship, allowing you to open bars in locations within 200 ft.

Attn Opportunist Storefront Churches-

You could rent a nearby storefront, to position yourself for a large donation from an aspiring bar owner, so you will move.

With skill, you could do this without having any actual worshipers! Repeat as necessary to earn a good living!

• Readers, this development is one of the Big Developments happening in western Crown Heights in 2014 that we will watching closely. To learn about the others, see this thread: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/37490/the-big-6-developments-in-western-ch-in-2013-the-big-11-developments-in-2014#Item_29

• This morning's walk indicates that demolition has yet to begin. I am actually watching this site, in part, because I wouldn't mind buying a old pew for personal use.
  • Just adding a photo of the other structure that will be torn down, the former community hall:

267-291-rogers-avenue

The church can be seen to the left.      

Does anyone know if they have already stripped the church of things I would consider valuable:    the bell?     The stained glass?     Was there a marble alter?     

Also, adding a link to the architect:   http://think-arc.com/

The firm does not have rendering of this site up yet, but their other projects are pretty high end.    
  • It looks like things are about to get going here... a solid construction fence is going up around the property.
  • So something that was once visual pleasing will become another crapitecture eyesore

• Damn it, this means my chance to score a less than full length pew for $30 is probably toast.
  • goldemi1 said:

So something that was once visual pleasing will become another crapitecture eyesore

I'm a fan of historic architecture but I've always thought that this building and lawn take away from the neighborhood. The architect hired on this new building employs some very innovative designs. They are night and day compared with the architect hired to design the building replacing the Savoy Theater on Beford and Lincoln Place. I'm looking forward to seeing this one sprout!
  • If one looks closely, one can see the roof to the community hall has already been removed.

• I live across from this church, on Crown St, and have been sadly watching the roof removal for the past few days. Among many other things, I'm worried that the demolition will be complete before all is set to begin building, leaving me with a huge hole to stare at a la Franklin Ave/Eastern Pkwy. Can anyone decipher this building plan for me? Worried about the red print and the all-caps "DISAPPROVAL" language.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?passdocnumber=1&passjobnumber=320613813&requestid=4&restore=1

While it wasn't an architectural wonder, it was nice having some green space to look at across the street. And the old building was built in 1927, I think? Been trying to find a picture I found online years ago after moving to Crown Heights -- the old church and my apt bldg were the only buildings around in 1929.
  • It means that the building they planned to construct needs to be somehow modified before it can be built.

Note, they can demolish the present structures under the existing demo permit.

They will likely tweak the design to make DOB happy.

Here is a list of the open permits on the site: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PermitsInProcessIssuedByBinServlet?requestid=7&allbin=3033846
  • Thanks, whynot. They had a rummage sale last summer, and, like you, I was hoping for a cheap pew! No dice, no pews in sight.
  • Not sure if the Diocese of Brooklyn does the same as the Diocese of New York which removes all the fixtures and furnishings from closed churches and stores them in a warehouse for future use in another church.
  • I also live right across from this. Very saddened that we will be losing this historic church and green space. My living room view has been this church for almost five years. Sadly, my new view will be someone's living room in an apartment that probably is pricier than the Plex. Additionally, if there is rooftop access, we will have to deal with the noise from parties. Not to mention the loss of car parking.

The church is over 100 years old and was built in 1909 or 1910. They celebrated their 100th anniversary of the church not too long ago. The Franciscan friars who ministered to the church withdrew about two years ago. I think this was the start of shutting down or consolidating the parish with another one.

• Priest and parishioner shortages are often to blame.

Hopefully we get a rendering of the new building soon. 165 apartments will bring a lot of new neighbors.
  • Looks like all the plans have been approved. Still 165 units, parking and a fitness center. No design info is out there but they will have terraces on some units. I agree with vaportrail that the architect has good designs… hope we get something interesting.
  • @Esperanza welcome! Sorry to hear about this.
  • For those following this one, the developers posted a image of the new building at the site.
  • Do you have the site address?
  • 267 Rogers

• I snapped a picture of this rendering yesterday afternoon as well.  Not looking forward to these yellow accents, but I have to admit, it could be much worse.  
    Esperanza, I feel your pain.  While my windows don't look out to the church, I walk my dog around this block every morning and always have appreciated the open space, nice big trees, and quiet.  I cannot image what our relatively peaceful block will be like with 165 units worth of new people moving in!  I guess we can be happy that there doesn't seem to be retail planned?  
  • McChloe,

I think I recognize your dog:) So I am sorry you'll lose the space for it.

Thanks for posting the pic, I generally avoid the worksite as I see it during the daylight hours. Whole heartedly agree it could've been much, much worse. The Mirador, on their Website, is such a testament.

I think the architects learned from the Plex's mistake, no one has rented their space in the over two plus years it's been completed.

Stay warm all!
  • Steeple no longer erect. It can now be seen on what remains of roof.

• The bells are also on the front of the church porch area. Looks like the artists have given some urban exterior design. I was wondering how long that would take.
  • Can't help but think that the former parishioners of this chuch must be feeling especially sad to see the steeple in its present state. It has been there for several days, and it really needs to be taken down fully, out of respect for what that building used to be.
  • Steeple still present, resting on its side.

Now present are excavators and dumpsters.

• They've started tearing down the walls, heard them going at it earlier this afternoon.
  • Church is gone and they're starting on the church hall. I suspect it'll be gone by the end of the evening. Odd that the church is being torn down on Good Friday of all days.
  • Excavators work quickly.

Only the back wall of the church remains.   The community hall looks about 60% down.image

• This photo was taken from the same place.

The back wall of the church can be seen behind the excavator on the left. The rest of the church is rubble.

The excavator on the right now sits on the rubble of the community hall. No walls remain.

• Seems slow going. The work crew is actually going thru the rubble and picking out any mental. Recycling perhaps?

I was talking with my super about this area, and an older person said that the community hall had been the old police precinct at one point. The church bought the land and simply built the church next door. Any validity to this?
  • Most construction sites sell anything of value, and pay different rate to dispose of different kinds of debris.

re: the police pct, sorry, I can't verify that for you, but I can supply some aerial photos of what the site now looks like:

Photos used with permission.

Note, the steel seems to be arranged along the Rogers Ave edge.
  • Thanks for the pics. I wonder how someone got on the roof of our bldg. Didn't know that was accessible. Interesting.

The supers I spoke with have been here since the 80s and 90s, so I suspect the person he spoke with was one of the old timers who'd lived here for ages, might be a good amount of validity.
  • whynot_31 said:

And THIS is why new church plants are renting space in NYC public schools. 
  • In addition to providing spaces for worship, these places also provided spaces for book clubs, AA/NA mtgs, scout troops, and the like. It should be interesting to see how those needs are met.

Meanwhile, all of the salvageable metal and bricks now appear to be gone. It appears it is now time to dig a hole for the foundation.

• I saw the EPA folks out taking samples about a week and a half ago. Perhaps the only hold-up now is the results.
  • I just saw the digger breaking down. They must've gotten the results from the EPA.
  • Took this during that super foggy morning a week or so ago. It looks like something from a horror movie!
  • Sooooo, never mind about the picture, looks like it didn't post. Maybe it's too creepy for the internet?
  • It may have been merely too large. You can't upload highdef photos.

BTW, I believe the excavators have started the next phase: Dig a hole for the new building's foundation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook