Struggling bodega corner of Franklin and Park Pl is again for lease. What should replace it?

• 718 Franklin

This traditional bodega looks like it is getting a major upgrade.

Construction guy says nothing will be kept, and that it will be upscale when it returns in a few weeks.

• Are the same people coming back or new ones? I was told by a neighbor that the Dominicans had been priced out....I always liked them and would be sad to see them go.

• Being that today is the 1st of the month, it would not surprise me if the tenants were new.

Construction guy was not interviewed well by me....

• Wow. This block will soon be completely gentrified.

• I'll try to get post a post renovation photo in a few weeks.
  • Oh no. Where will I get my cheap tall boys of Coors Light?

• Well, the owner (Maria) and her husband have reportedly already opened a replacement location in Bed Stuy.

...but I am sure you don't need to go that far for Coors light.

• just to give readers some perspective, here is what the storefront next door, 720, used to look like, and looks like now:

Present:

photo: brooklynexposed

past:

photo: brownstoner

• Rumors are swirling that this former bodega, located on a really high profile corner in a neighborhood that will be EVEN MORE DIFFERENT A YEAR FROM NOW, may become a bank branch. I do not know how valid these rumors are.

...anyone know the owner of this building?

• Update: A friend who knows the owner states that it is going to return as more upscale bodega/deli, one which is actually operated by the owners of the building. It is not going to be a bank.

• Oh, that's good, it was/is one of the few bodegas on my way to the train.

• Have any of you posters that are around Franklin during the day, witnessed construction on this storefront since it was cleaned out?

It does not seem to be listed on any realty site, which makes the account I heard from my friend about the owners taking it over and doing something with it themselves, seem credible.

• ^ walked by mid-afternoon today and the door was open, the northern wall was stripped down to bare brick, and there was work going on inside.

bare brick definitely doesn't make me think "bank branch"

• Has had anyone had a chance to look in on thier progess recently?

• <--- responds to self

Sept 20: I got a chance to look in today. It seems as if a new cement floor has been poured, in addition to exposing the brick.

• But they didn't say what they were going to make? My money is on "slightly nicer bodega"

• oops you already confirmed that's what it was going to be. Well, I stand by my prediction then.

• I hope it has a lot of take out, prepared foods.

I would also like a few stools, so eating inside while looking out the window is possible.

• October 13, 2013

Display shelving was being assembled and trucked in today.

Lots of fun with Birch plywood!

• Now open.Not fully stocked, still needs an awning. They have those chrome racks, and it wouldn't surprise me if they stock Carrs crackers.
  • Looked pretty depressing and uninviting when I walked by this weekend. Hopefully they're just starting and more work and refinement to come.
  • I'm with you, work is happening very slowly.

The storefront still needs an awning, and they still had some vacant shelf space this weekend.

• New to the site but wanted to mention something about this corner store - I've been about four times - two times I've had conversations with the nice, very polite man behind the counter about what he has casually been referring to as some kind of imminently catastrophic event, that he alleges will take place on April 4th of this year. He theorizes that it's got something to do with "the Jews," whom he claims run the world, and are unfurling some plan that eventuates in the collapse of the US dollar, and as such the global economy as it exists today, civilization, etc... I've had similar conversations with a billion other people in the city so I'm not exactly foreign to the experience of waxing conspiratorial with my fellow man (playfully or otherwise), but I'm concerned nonetheless. Anyone else experiencing these talks or do I just preternaturally invite this kind of stuff?
  • I guess some people seem friendlier than others and invite conversation. All kinds of conversation.

My favorite conspiracies are the ones that come up unexpectedly from really kind, genuine neighborhood people that you already chat with. It starts off like "why yes, this weather sure is great", and "oh sorry, go ahead and pet him, my dog is really friendly", and "oh, that's good that the deli is open so late" and then you're like "man, I guess I didn't know that about the Jews".

That being said, there's still enough time to transfer some of your money into foreign currency before April 4th, you know, just in case.
  • That's interesting to know.  I'm Jewish, I think I'll go in and chat with him until he starts telling me the conspiracy, at which point I'll look surprised asking "how did you find out about our plan?!  It's true, we're finalizing the last details, and moving all our money to a secure account which will be the only one that is safe.  If you want, I can hold your money for you until April 5th."

• Ms Whynot is Jewish, but I am not.

It amazes me that she would not tell me.

Returning to the bodega, does it now appear fully stocked?
  • lifeofjangus, goldemi,

While messing with the guy sounds funny, I think that the boring, but ultimately the kindest thing to do would be to tell the guy not to worry. If he's stuck working in the store all day and doesn't get out much to interact with people besides "hi, here's your change" he may well have convinced himself that the conspiracy is true and when April 3rd comes around, he will be very anxious for no reason.

Do the right thing. If you want to have some fun, make a bet with the guy that the conspiracy is not true. When April 5th rolls around, you'll have a laugh with him and get a free soda or something.
  • grwd, i was joking of course. Your idea is the rational fun one.  I more or less just feel sorry for the paranoid conspiracy theorists. Especially when the day comes and goes and they have to (maybe) actually question their beliefs. 
  • That's a good tactic. I've been generally cordial with the guy because he's nice, and he claims that he drinks a Coors tall boy every single night before going to bed. In some strange way it's probably better that he's so open about his conspiracy theories, otherwise who knows what kinds of heinous thoughts he could be harboring behind that friendly smile.

As far as how well-stocked the place is, it's looking better every couple of weeks. They asked me what beers I liked to drink and I told them cheap ones, but I'm sure they'll have the usual selection of Magic Hats/Stones et al - haven't checked the back fridges lately. 
  • Just bought a bottle of water here (come in from time to time though the shelves are still not fully stocked) and the owner casually used the n-word in conversation.  I won't be back.  I miss Ray (the owner of the previous establishment).
  • Sounds like a genius.  He sets up in Crown Heights and has crazy Jewish conspiracies that he freely shares with customers, and uses 'nigger' openly?!  This doesn't bode well.
  • I am just pointing out tomorrow is April 4th; This all may be moot.
  • I'm running in there yelling "the banks exploded! Money is worthless!"
  • grwd said:

My favorite conspiracies are the ones that come up unexpectedly from really kind, genuine neighborhood people that you already chat with. It starts off like "why yes, this weather sure is great", and "oh sorry, go ahead and pet him, my dog is really friendly", and "oh, that's good that the deli is open so late" and then you're like "man, I guess I didn't know that about the Jews".

Ha.

I work at 7 WTC.  Which 9/11 Truthers have long had a serious boner about for whatever idiotic reasons. Whenever the "where do you work?" question comes up, I'm happy when people just say, "cool" or "ok" or whatever else.  Because whenever the response is "oh, really..." or "interesting..." I know I've encountered another one of those morons and that it's time for me to begin shutting down the conversation so I can get away from them.
  • Happy April 7th.

I believe we are all still here.
  • I dunno.  You smell that fire coming?   Beginning of the end, just a few days late.
  • I wish to state that the photo used in the above listing speaks volumes about the business savvy of the outgoing proprieter:

Who would go in there and buy upscale items, when there is so much competition in the area?
  • Not sad about it. I found the deli across the street to be much better and has delicious sandwiches. Let's hope, whatever opens, it's not another Mexican restaurant! (Half joking)
  • Yes, needless to say, one can go to the newly remodeled deli on literally the other side of the street without the issues visible and described:

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44167/710-franklin-at-park-pl-is-becoming-a-deli-grill-park-place-deli/p1

• Not surprised. That place always looked half closed, and storing their beer in the window—in direct sunlight—was enough to make me never go in.
  • I lived on Park and Franklin for 5 years.  We loved that place -- went almost daily.  Great beer selection -- weirdly great.  Sad to hear.
  • This version of it has only been open a year.

I assume you loved the prior green awning version that came before it (seen on far right of photo)

owl-thistle-720-franklin-ave-072711
  • The most recent incarnation was definitely amateur hour.  

It looked modern, but they lacked basic staples and didn't really have anything special that would make me want to go in.  I'd stop there on occasion for beer when I was picking up from Silver Rice because it was the only place on the way.  
  • Here's a photo of the inside:

If I was passing by and new to the neighborhood, I would not expect to see such a nice interior in light of such an ugly exterior.

Also, one can see that there is not much stock in there. Not only are shelves empty, but the shelves that are filled are filled with the same few items.

Maybe he lacked the funds to stock more items and renovate the exterior?

The day the store at 710 opened, it probably took most of the few customers this one had.
  • I've lived on Park & Franklin for over 5 years and never even bothered to enter this establishment. I am still desperately hoping for a bagel shop.
  • Franklin briefly had bagels in the form of Cafe Allegria

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/37981/cafe-allegria-closed-bagels-for-st-marks-near-franklin-june-2013/p1

My sense is that it closed for reasons other than demand. IE If someone was to open a "real" bagel shop in the area, it could do well.

There are bagels available at the local bodegas and coffee shops on Franklin, but they are not "real". They don't yet meet the demand.

...one can not eat in and choose from 14 varieties of cream cheese.
  • A real bagel shop (a la Bergen Bagels!) would be amazing.
  • whynot_31 said:

This version of it has only been open a year.

I assume you loved the prior green awning version that came before it (seen on far right of photo)

owl-thistle-720-franklin-ave-072711

correct!

...also, doesn't Pulp and Bean have fresh bagels daily with a million shmears?
  • P&B does not compete with Olde Brooklyn Bagel on Vanderbilt, Bergen Bagel, Lula Bagel or Nostrand Bagel.

...It also does not offer seating, or bagelwiches.
  • Although not a bagel store per se, P&B on the south side does offer seating and have some very tasty bagels and lots of cream cheese to chose from.
  • Hopefully this store will be re-leased and filled with something new by June 1.

Until then, we wait...
  • June 1st has come and gone.   Still it sits.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19099705/718-Franklin-Ave-Brooklyn-NY/

Awaiting a chain store able to sign a long lease?      Quizno's are you reading?
  • Quizno's would never generate the kind of sales needed to pay the rent and bills. At $7000/mo rent you would need to gross about $6000/wk to pay for supplies, rent, bills and take home a little in salary. I have a friend who used to own a Blimpie and his best days he did about  $500 and that came out to about 100 sandwiches a day. And that's only $3500/wk.
  • Ah... Blimpie.  Where have they all gone?  I liked them so much better than Subway!
  • There is still a Blimpie near my work.  It is very small and a footlong sandwich is about $12, with many fewer toppings offered than Subway.  Not sure how it pays any bills.. it's almost empty even at lunchtime..
  • A small chain, like Blimpie, doesn't have the economies of scale required and their remaining locations end up "circling the drain".

A big chain, like Quiznos or Subway, has a better shot. A nearby upscale place that focuses on sandwiches (Cafe Forte, I am looking at you) seems to be doing ok.

Retail and boutiques seem to be a really bad idea.
  • The fact is that Quiznos is franchised and by the time they take their cut there's not a whole lot left for the franchisee. And since all stores have to look the same the furnishings have to come from Quiznos and they're not cheap. A sandwich shop like that wouldn't last long at all. I know of two Quiznos stores that have closed and ever since they dumped the talking kid in their advertising nothing much has been seen from them.
  • I know that Quiznos and Coldstone are two of the riskiest franchises.  It's amazing how often one will open and then close in 1-2 years..
  • Many bars and restaurants face a similar fate.

I don't think there are enough of us (or that we are wealthy enough) to get a Hot and Crusty location.

http://www.seamless.com/food-delivery/hot-crusty-lexington-ave-new-york-city.7052.r
  • Out of all chains, I think a Chipotle would probably do well and be the least despised by new and old residents.
  • I do not believe we have the ped traffic that a Chipolte would require.

They are able to sell those burritos for $8 because they sell thousands of burritos at each location.

• Quizno's would never generate the kind of sales needed to pay the rent and bills.

Thank God.

Of all the things that could go in at that location, I'd have a hard time thinking of something worse than a Quizno's/Subway/Blimpie/etc.
  • I wonder if a liquor store would work. It would capitalize on the present whiskey crazy, by stocking whiskey almost exclusively.

Stock boutique brands.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook