Walgreens coming to Empire Boulevard?
  • The Q at Parkside has the scoop.  This is great news (if this pans out); whoo hoo!
    Know that big laundromat that recently closed on Empire Blvd, between Washington and Bedford? It's gonna be a Walgreen's. Good news? Well...there's a Rite Aid right around the corner on Bedford, but yeah, for some folks this will mighty convenient.
  • I was wondering if the picture of this location was where the Bond Bakery used to be located?

• No, the Bond bakery building is nearby on Flatbush;  this isn't it.   The Bond Bakery building is becoming a gym.   http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38848/planet-fitness-replaces-phat-albert

The laundry is actually on Empire, to the east of McDonalds.

• Thanks. It was on Empire and Flatbush as I recall.The aroma still persists in my memory.
  • NB: The apartment complex in the background is Ebbets Field Apartments. 
  • Well I guess my memory is fading.I recall the building  right across the street from the subway having Bond Bread carved into the building. I remember Ebbets Field when the Dodgers played there. I was still living there when the apartments were built though.
  • whynot_31 said:

I came to Brooklyn and "earth" too late to have smelled it.

Too bad I also missed out on that. However, if you walk up Franklin, you may still get a whiff of spices from the nearby spice place. 

That Google street view is making me anxious for sunny, warmer days like that to return! :) 

Well I guess my memory is fading.I recall the building  right across the street from the subway having Bond Bread carved into the building. 
    Yes, the Prospect Park subway station is across the street.
  • Sometimes I try to recall the stores that were on Franklin Ave. But I can't remember the exact location of each one. My old Apartment building is still there on Carroll Street, but they took away the bushes that were in front.It was such a great neighborhood to grow up in.
  • Whynot, Franklin Avenue had a butcher, a fruit and veggie store, a poultry store, two stores that sold chocolate candy, two bakeries, several candy stores, two pharmacies, a toy store, an A and P, a deli called Ben and Sol's on the corner of Franklin and President, a children's clothing store called Kameo, a shoemaker, an appetizing store where you bought fresh pickles out of a barrel for a nickel, and Franklin Manor where people had weddings etc.I am sure I left quite a few things out.
  • an appetizing store where you bought fresh pickles out of a barrel for a nickel
    This makes me think of Fairway! (Now that would be a great addition to the neighborhood.) 

• old brooklynite,

Stores like that are rapidly returning to Franklin Avenue.

Here's a few really old photos of the intersection of Franklin and Eastern Parkway you might have fun with:

1237051_10151752443515753_724576525_n.jpg

• Whynot,
    I am old but not that old lol. I have lots of pics from my childhood taken on Carroll St.I really should scan them. It was great back then.The gardens were free as well as the museum. When you couldn't find what you wanted in the neighborhood, downtown Brooklyn had lots of department stores.
  • Downtown Brooklyn is becoming an economic engine once again.

...but I doubt the gardens or the museum will become free again in my lifetime.

At age 45, I'd like to think I have about 40 years left in me.
  • I am sure you do. Did you know that P.S. 241 was once a highly rated school?
  • PS 241 location:

data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,dw-X5HjmJAiE18Hyns53peVJCRZTHsXMO1p1qxCsqhABeVZPy25fxJQ1zSiF_XPeUzvLan31-pfL_Xzs39hnIybfA46jATqJLrtP6pDVUAhTiYc5ud9txrg1bmc

Yes, as the neighborhood changes, so do the schools.

I've been watching the area pretty closely over the past year or so.   I think the biggest impact in the near future will come from the redevelopment of the Sea Crest laundry site (FKA Erasmus Laundry)

• I am sure you do. Did you know that P.S. 241 was once a highly rated school?

How long ago? 

I went to PS 241 when I was a kid; it served me well. :) 

Back to the upcoming Walgreens, I wonder whether it will move into the existing structure or whether the old one will be torn down. That building needs some structural repairs. I remember seeing holes in the ceiling both inside the laundromat and in the parking area in the rear.
  • whynot_31 said:

old brooklynite,

Stores like that are rapidly returning to Franklin Avenue.

Here's a few really old photos of the intersection of Franklin and Eastern Parkway you might have fun with:

When I was a kid (walking to school at P.S. 241), I remember seeing the last remnants of the Franklin Avenue trolley tracks being dug up. This was in the 80s.
  • If they tear the laundry building down, I would expect them to build a much taller residential/commercial building in its place.    We haven't heard about that.   

Hence, I predict they will repair the old building.
  • Mug,
    I finished 6th grade at P.S. 241 in 1963 and it was a very good school. My brother attended there when it actually went up to 8th grade.
  • I remember when they covered the tracks and the cobblestones on Franklin with pavement.Where did you live?
  • I remember when they covered the tracks and the cobblestones on Franklin with pavement.Where did you live?

When the tracks were being removed, the cobblestones were also removed; the street was then paved over.

I grew up (and still live) right near where the future Walgreens will be on Empire Boulevard. :) 
  • I had to take the bus across the st from the subway station on Empire to get to Lefferts Jr. High.I really hated that school.
  • Bump.

I noticed the red sign from the realtor this morning. Now I wonder whether Walgreens is coming after all or did that fall through?

By the way, the laundromat that used to occupy 73 Empire Boulevard has a sign up that it's coming soon to a location a few doors down (closer to the nightclub).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Tagged