Monday Evening NYPD Helicopter Flying Low - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

Monday Evening NYPD Helicopter Flying Low

edited April 2014 in Prospect Heights
Over Saint Marks, Vanderbilt. Hard to see beyond the rain clouds, but low and loud. Any idea why?

• They're circling around Newswalk (535 Dean) right now.  Three cops with flashlights are searching under the cars parked in the city lot across the street; another patrol car is searching the garage under the Newswalk building. 
  • According to Gothamist:

Escape Perp | 620 Atlantic Ave Brooklyn, NY | 4/7/2014 6:40 p.m.
  • There was more than one helicopter. Lots of cops on underhill too.
  • Cops just came into the house I'm at in Fort Greene. Checked the house for him. Apparently he's wearing handcuffs and jumped over a small fence before getting away
  • edited April 2014
    Here's the full MNS "burst":

4/7/2014 6:40 p.m.|-73.9752303,40.6831182|Escape Perp |POLICE| 620 Atlantic Ave <br> Brooklyn, NY|BROOKLYN: *ESCAPE PERP* 620 ATLANTIC AVE, PERP M/B ESCAPE FROM RMP STILL HAVE THE CUFFS. LEVEL 1 MOBILIZATION CALLED IN REGARDS (c) [MNS257]|1396910402|MNS

Which I understand to mean that a male, black escaped from a police vehicle while still wearing handcuffs.

• edited April 2014
    I suspect Darnell Thomas will be pretty quickly caught.

....Given the circumstances, he seems at high risk of being "roughed up a bit" in the process.
  • edited April 2014
    He picked a nasty night to run. You can't make fools of people and not be prepared for a bit of payback. Not gonna be pretty
  • What exactly is criminal mischief?
  • The NYPD generally don't like it when their incompetence is exposed. But them again they've shown some restraint lately. Seriously, how does a handcuffed criminal get out of a cruiser and run around for 5 hours?
  • Any updates?
  • Nope, nothing here. 

Off topic, but does anyone have a hacksaw that I could borrow?  Also, some aloe salve.. my wrists are killing me. 

• dac, I'm afraid I don't. However I know a great place you could lay low and chill out until people calm down. 

On topic: Apparently he is still on the lam.
  • Well, a handcuffed man managed to escape police custody during a heavy rainstorm and is still on the loose.  I'm sure that precinct has a lot of 'splaining to do.