New Development coming to Dean between Franklin Classon
  • The creators of Brownstoner and Brooklyn Flea are involved in this development project:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304023504577321873455083222.html

• Just in case the link doesn't work:

By JOSEPH DE AVILA

Brooklyn entrepreneur Jonathan Butler specializes on chronicling the ins and outs of the borough's residential and commercial real-estate market on his blog Brownstoner.com

Enlarge Image

Philip Montgomery for The Wall Street Journal

The industrial building at 1000 Dean St in Crown Heights, above, will be part of a new renovation project.

Now Mr. Butler is trying his hand at a large commercial real-estate project of his own in an underdeveloped section of Crown Heights, Brooklyn.

Mr. Butler, also a co-founder of the Brooklyn Flea, and his partners have acquired three adjacent industrial properties measuring a total of 155,000 square feet on Dean Street.

They plan to renovate the buildings and make them into mixed-use office space to house a mix of small businesses like Internet start-ups, food makers and light industrial manufacturers.

Construction on the $30 million project is expected to begin in a few weeks and is scheduled to be completed in nine to 12 months.

"We hope there are 400 or 500 people working there in a couple of years," Mr. Butler said.

In addition to the work space, one section of the property will be used for cultural events and another section will have a food and beer hall that will feature food vendors from the Brooklyn Flea, a flea market held on weekends in Fort Greene and Williamsburg. Mr. Butler envisions that the 9,000-square-foot food hall will have five or six different food vendors.

"Hopefully, it will be a way for our food vendors to graduate from the Flea to having their own restaurant," Mr. Butler said.

The main building that will be used for office space and manufacturing was built during the 1920s. For the past three decades it has been used as warehouse. Before that it was used as a service station.

The project is situated in the industrial patch of Crown Heights where there has been little commercial investment but is surrounded by new residential real-estate development and a growing population that work in creative fields.

That made the site ideal for adding a mixed-use office building to cater to Brooklyn's jewelers, furniture makers and artists, said Alicia Glen, managing director of Goldman Sachs Group Inc.'s GS -1.65% Urban Investment Group, a partner with Mr. Butler that has committed $25.5 million toward the project.

"We think we are making a smart, long-term investment by supporting this sector in this neighborhood," Ms. Glen said.

The project still faces challenges. There aren't any comparable spaces in this corner of Brooklyn that offer the types of nontraditional office space like Mr. Butler's project. It is unclear what type of demand this space will receive.

But Mr. Butler was able persuade BFC Partners, the builder of the Toren luxury condominium in Downtown Brooklyn, to sign on as a partner and to handle the renovation of the building.

Mr. Butler "convinced me that there is an untapped potential for this type of space," said Don Capoccia of BFC Partners. Similar types of creative office space are being used in cities like Montreal and Auckland, he added.

"This is a market that is manifesting itself in cities around the world," Mr. Capoccia said. "I don't see why we shouldn't be investing in this in New York."

Write to Joseph De Avila at joseph.deavila@wsj.com

• Just in case the link doesn't work:

By JOSEPH DE AVILA

Brooklyn entrepreneur Jonathan Butler specializes on chronicling the ins and outs of the borough's residential and commercial real-estate market on his blog Brownstoner.com

Enlarge Image

Philip Montgomery for The Wall Street Journal

The industrial building at 1000 Dean St in Crown Heights, above, will be part of a new renovation project.

Now Mr. Butler is trying his hand at a large commercial real-estate project of his own in an underdeveloped section of Crown Heights, Brooklyn.

Mr. Butler, also a co-founder of the Brooklyn Flea, and his partners have acquired three adjacent industrial properties measuring a total of 155,000 square feet on Dean Street.

They plan to renovate the buildings and make them into mixed-use office space to house a mix of small businesses like Internet start-ups, food makers and light industrial manufacturers.

Construction on the $30 million project is expected to begin in a few weeks and is scheduled to be completed in nine to 12 months.

"We hope there are 400 or 500 people working there in a couple of years," Mr. Butler said.

In addition to the work space, one section of the property will be used for cultural events and another section will have a food and beer hall that will feature food vendors from the Brooklyn Flea, a flea market held on weekends in Fort Greene and Williamsburg. Mr. Butler envisions that the 9,000-square-foot food hall will have five or six different food vendors.

"Hopefully, it will be a way for our food vendors to graduate from the Flea to having their own restaurant," Mr. Butler said.

The main building that will be used for office space and manufacturing was built during the 1920s. For the past three decades it has been used as warehouse. Before that it was used as a service station.

The project is situated in the industrial patch of Crown Heights where there has been little commercial investment but is surrounded by new residential real-estate development and a growing population that work in creative fields.

That made the site ideal for adding a mixed-use office building to cater to Brooklyn's jewelers, furniture makers and artists, said Alicia Glen, managing director of Goldman Sachs Group Inc.'s GS -1.65% Urban Investment Group, a partner with Mr. Butler that has committed $25.5 million toward the project.

"We think we are making a smart, long-term investment by supporting this sector in this neighborhood," Ms. Glen said.

The project still faces challenges. There aren't any comparable spaces in this corner of Brooklyn that offer the types of nontraditional office space like Mr. Butler's project. It is unclear what type of demand this space will receive.

But Mr. Butler was able persuade BFC Partners, the builder of the Toren luxury condominium in Downtown Brooklyn, to sign on as a partner and to handle the renovation of the building.

Mr. Butler "convinced me that there is an untapped potential for this type of space," said Don Capoccia of BFC Partners. Similar types of creative office space are being used in cities like Montreal and Auckland, he added.

"This is a market that is manifesting itself in cities around the world," Mr. Capoccia said. "I don't see why we shouldn't be investing in this in New York."

Write to Joseph De Avila at joseph.deavila@wsj.com

• I'd be impressed if he pulled this off:

Likewise, I'd be impressed if he can fill the place with small companies quickly.

...I like being impressed.

• 12 months is super-aggressive, yes, but I think when it does open he'll find tenants. If you read the Brownstoner post, he works out his reasoning, and I think it's sound. I will tell you that as a "creative professional" in the area currently working out of my home, I've been looking into coworking/small office spaces, and there is nothing like this nearby. If this were opening today, I would very very seriously consider moving in.

• I agree, there is an unmet need for office space for small firms of all kinds. ...there are economies of scale to be gained from co-locating.

The NY Observer has written a similar piece:

http://www.observer.com/2012/04/mr-brownstoners-crown-heights-creative-hub-is-but-the-first-of-goldman-sachs-investments-in-the-hood/

I can't say I've ever had access to $30M (in cash or credit) to wonder how I would spend it, but I'm certainly cheering him on....

Mr. Butler and his partners have paid $11 million for a former Studebaker Service Station on Dean Street in Crown Heights. They plan to convert the 155,000 square-feet of space into a commercial mixed-use development that will house artists and assorted creative types as well as a food hall—a $30 million project, to which Goldman Sachs’ Urban Investment Group will contribute $25.5 million. BFC Partners, the developer behind Toren, is also involved in the deal

Lots of big names and, hopefully, expertise!

• Construction begins!

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2012/05/blogging-1000-dean-getting-started/?stream=true

Goal: A four-story, 160,000-square-foot complex is swarming with a mix of technologists, artists, writers, jewelers, small food producers, etc.

• I am -- like Garnett -- cautiously optimistic about this food court and beer place. I love good food and I love good beers. But, of course, I don't want to see the people who put their sweat and tears into transforming Franklin Avenue pushed out by developers outside of the area. it sounds destinationy...which is good and bad.

• This commercial development seems to be betting that the area will support even more upscale businesses than it does presently.

This is likely based on the large number of local properties that have recently changed hands, and changing image.

Yes, the same people who helped create this "new image" are likely to feel that they have lost control of it, and now must adapt to new forces and leaders.

....people who invest $30M aren't here to follow.

• Oct 18, 2012

The facade work appears done, and looks really good.

Now, let's see if they can do the mechanicals and throw up some interior walls quickly.

• No photos?

• Imagine the above photo, sans scaffolding. Building has a new skim coat of cement, which has been painted white. The Studebaker engraving has been returned to its original glory.

On occasion, you will see a guy walking a brown 45 lb dog by it that looks like the one my avatar....

• Today, I took somewhat random photos of the block of Dean St located between Classon and Franklin, because I have become convinced the 1000 Dean Street development is going to be part of a radical transformation of the block over the next 5 years.

If anyone bought a property on this block in -say- 2000, they are doing well now.

The 1000 Dean Building:

• The part of Franklin closer to Atlantic desperately needs this. It's been largely untouched by the flourish occurring closer to Eastern Parkway.

• I suspect that the Bedford-Atlantic men's shelter is partially to blame for this area's "hesitation".

I am optimistic that the 1000 Dean project will cause folks to overcome the hesitation.

• Only a matter of time before that shelter becomes a YMCA, no? Didn't Markowitz secure a few million to put towards its conversion?

• Epicly-

Yup. Markowitz scored some $ for its conversion, but first the city needs to do things like decide whether it will move the shelter that occupies the relatively small front portion of the building, and figure out if the converted facilities could still be used as "Disaster Surge Housing".

The massive drill hall presently has such a designation, and is largely dormant in part for this reason.

As a result, I would not count on a conversion anytime soon, and believe the surrounding blocks will change despite it.

• The city has committed $14 million to converting the unused portion of the armory, and an RFP process is underway to determine a plan and a developer.

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/166887/leaders-hope-to-convert-brooklyn-armory-into-community-space

Exterior work has been ongoing at the armory since around the time the RFP was announced.

Of course, this doesn't necessary mean anything. But it might mean something. I'm optimistic, especially with 1000 Dean and other recent developments in the immediate vicinity.

• 1000 Dean is supposed to open in the summer 2013, and I would give it an additional six months to be fully occupied.

So, around this time in 2013, there will hopefully be substansial pressure on the city to develop the Bedford-Pacific armory. However, I don't expect the shelter for single men to be relocated to another neighborhood.

I expect 1000 Dean to fill up quickly, especially if it is able to offer cheaper rents than the nearby work share places. ...this is a central part of its advertising pitch.

• Part of the disadvantage of the Flea is that vendors have to constantly move their stuff, because the venues are only available on the weekends.

By providing a permanent location, 1000 Dean will allow small vendors to have a permanent space in the "mall".

By making so much space available, it may temporarily increase supply to the degree that commercial rents on Franklin plateau. It will certainly cause more people to walk further. ...Presently the foot traffic drops off North of St. Marks, this development will change that.

It may also bring peds South from the 'hoods on the other side of Atlantic.

• This thread discusses the food court and beer hall that is to be associated with this project, and located nearby: http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/899-917-bergen-street-a-soon-to-be-food-court-and-beer-garden-smorgasborg

• Was just going to post that. Very interesting to see what's happening to the warehouse buildings

• RE the rectangle that is bounded by Bergen, Classon, Atlantic and Franklin....

I think the warehouse buildings will be brought back to life in a different form first.

I am already seeing construction on the small empty lots.

Next, I expect to see the auto salvage yards and bus depots be cleared out and housing constructed.

Then, we will see conversions of the taller warehouses and light manufacturing spaces.

• Not sure that all the bus depots will go. One is the home of Monsey Bus Lines, the commuter line between Hassidic communities upstate and those in Williamsburg and CH. And those folks use those buses religiously (no pun intended). Not sure that the combination of cheaper land and possible development costs is an offset for time and gas getting those charter buses into the city every day.

• I'm thinking the buses would continue to live in Brooklyn, but somewhere less glamorous.

...In my opinion, where Foster Ave intersects with Ralph Ave seems economically right.

• Construction update: 1000 Dean now has new windows throughout.

...the workers have "closed the envelope" and are now busy working inside.

• As expected, the economic opportunities are leading the owners of nearby buildings to cash in; 964 Dean is a multistory building on the same block.

After a brief renovation, it would make 18 residences, complete with high ceilings.

CB8 wrote: On January 3, there will be a community forum on the Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) application for 964 Dean Street for conversion of the manufacturing property to residential use.

Come hear the specifics of the project at the next Housing/ULURP Committee meeting of Community Board No. 8.

Thursday, January 3, 2013, 6:30pm

Photo: Property shark

• Once one of these goes, I predict the rest will follow in short order.

• Yup. However, we will have to wait until March to find out whether they will get a variance. It was to go before CB8 tonight, but was postponed until March.

• CB8 would have to be completely stupid to not grant it.

• As a result of being present in the mtg as I type this, I decline to be really elaborate. Suffice it to say, not everything makes sense.

• I had the chance to look at the 1000 Dean St site today.

The windows are complete. Rough electrical, plumbing and HVAC is in place.

The work men are busy constructing the interior walls. It looked as if sales people were showing prospective vendors (aka renters) around. Suffice it to say, this photo taken a few months ago is rapidly becoming very dated:

• Here's the pitch being given to prospective tenants of 1000 Dean:

1000 Dean Street brings all the best Brooklyn ideas in creative work space together in one building. Featuring fully renovated modern open plan white box offices with all new electrical, plumbing, roof, HVAC, elevator systems, and fiber optics, 1000 Dean is the only BKLYN building with a full service food, coffee, beer hall and bar under the same roof.

Located in the affordable, emerging and historic Crown Heights neighborhood, 1000 Dean is two blocks from Atlantic Avenue and 4.5 to 8.5 blocks to the A,2,3,4,5,C and S trains. Bus lines in every direction including direct to Williamsburg up Bedford Avenue and south to the Flatbush area. A low-rise community of houses and small buildings, Crown Heights North boasts a new generation of restaurants, bars and quick fine food, supported by hardware, cleaning and child care services, with reasonable residential rents.

1000 Dean gathers shared work, private office, production and collaborative spaces in one place. On the ground floor, where East Williamsburg’s 3rd Ward is creating a food incubator facility, two entrances serve both Dean and Bergen Streets. A nine-thousand square foot beer hall, coffee house and outdoor garden with several varied food outlets as well as a private room is being developed, soon to be the largest and most comfortable gathering place in the neighborhood, serving tenants with meeting, eating and drinking space.

Tenants seeking interconnections with their neighbors will be able to access a building-specific intra-net that will include a listing of area resources.

Launching 1000 Dean as a fine creative work space building requires a holistic approach, sharing gathering and working spaces while supporting the success of its tenants in a safe, comfortable modern environment.

http://www.aptsandlofts.com/rentals/1000-dean-street-unit-varies-brooklyn-ny-11238

Move-in is 4/1/2013. Rent for a unit is $18,333, but the site doesn't state how big a unit is, or how long the minimum term is....

• whynot_31 said:

As expected, the economic opportunities are leading the owners of nearby buildings to cash in; 964 Dean is a multistory building on the same block.

After a brief renovation, it would make 18 residences, complete with high ceilings.

CB8 wrote: On January 3, there will be a community forum on the Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) application for 964 Dean Street for conversion of the manufacturing property to residential use.

Come hear the specifics of the project at the next Housing/ULURP Committee meeting of Community Board No. 8.

Thursday, January 3, 2013, 6:30pm

Photo: Property shark

Curbed and other media have recently run articles on the effort. It seems the Cb8 Housing Subcommittee recommended that the variance be granted, and it will soon go before the full CB 8 board.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/03/08/artists_want_crown_heights_warehouse_as_livework_space.php

...a few more variances like this, and anyone buying a property in the manufacturing district should be able to successfully argue "Me Too!"

Hence, this is turning into a big windfall for the owners of the nearby autobody shops.

• There were people living in that building illegally as long ago as 2006 - I recognize the big rock out front that they used to tell people to look for when coming to their parties. So it's very much the DUMBO model of "artists' squats turned condos" - only without Two Trees.

And I would take that aptsandlofts.com listing for 1000 Dean Street with a grain of salt, because I'm on the "notify me when you're ready for tenants" email list for that building, and I haven't heard a peep.

• Yes, being that the square footage of the units in 1000 Dean is not listed, it seems as if this may be some exploratory fishing at that price range for potential renters in this and other developments.

Prime the pump.

• Here's the original advertisement for the 1000 Dean Street site, created by the realtor to woo potential buyers:

http://www.masseyknakal.com/listingimages/setup/pdf/634449579119428540_Setup.pdf

I post it because I think most people don't realize how big this building is from the street, and it has aerial photos, measurements and the like.

...It is really big!

• Looking close to finished on the Dean St side today. All new glass, and a new archway entrance peeking over the construction fence.

Attached files image
  • Oh and btw the new brownstone directly across the street at 1003 Dean is in contract at $1.3MM.

Not bad for a block that's frightening to walk after dark (for now).

• Here's a photo taken of last weekends' (4/5/2013) crowd at the Smorgasborg:

Photo: Brownstoner

If everything goes as planned, a similar size crowd will be attracted to Dean St. every weekend, starting Fall 2013.

• Time to install the A/C Units on the roof of 1000 Dean:

Please be advised that Dean Street between Franklin and Classon Avenues will be closed due to the operation of a crane and hoisting of equipment on Tuesday, Aprill 30, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

If you have questions, please call Skylift Contractor Corp at 718-609-1860.

• Has 1000 Dean released an estimated date of when they'll be fully operational?

• I have not heard a date, but I have heard a season: "Fall"

This ad for renters says the sites would be available 10/1/2013: http://www.aptsandlofts.com/rentals/1000-dean-street-unit-varies-brooklyn-ny-11238

• today, May 10, 2013:

Brownstoner has confirmed the above move in dates, and provides some more details, and interior pictures:

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013/05/1000-dean-street-progress-report/#more-113911

• I might spontaneously combust once the beer hall is finished. A new cheese place? Several new resteraunts on the way? 3 floors at the Studebaker building? Sigh, this is gonna be a rough second half of the year for my ever expanding gut.

• Sad, but someone tagged the side of the building already in red graffiti. Makes me so angry when I see tags on businesses or apartments. Cafe Rue Dix got hit two or three times consecutively on their new windows. Shame.

• As this place gets closer to opening they will no doubt increase their security.

...as a result of being white and visible from a long distance, it will always be a tempting target.

• There seems to be actually two places that will serve alcohol at this venue:

1. The food court that is on Bergen, which will serve beer and wine.

2. The venue that is to be run by 3rd Ward Culinary, in the 1000 Dean St bldg.

Each will be able to host large events. The 3rd Ward space alone will have 2 bars within it, and (depending upon how it is configured) could legally host 487 people. When staff and security is included, it might exceed 550 people....

The 3rd Ward developer has stated there will be parking for hundreds of bicycles, and most of his present customers at his other location do not come via car.

He will seek a 3AM closing time for the main bar, which would serve all comers, not just those who have bought tickets to the events. The event space bar would close earlier, 2AM.

3rd Ward alone believes it will hire around 240 workers: hospitality and security.

Expect a hiring fair in the late summer....

• to put those capacity #'s into perspective, Bowery Ballroom legally holds around 550 people--including the balcony.

• So, we're getting a club?

• The owner appeared to avoid saying the word nightclub.

I walked away feeling that he is about to get permission to use this space in a variety of ways.

It could host weddings, non-profit galas, retirement parties, etc.

He clearly stated he expects to have events "5 or 6 nights a week", and hopes that business is good enough to sustain the full 240 staff members he predicts.

• Cover story in this week's NYC Epoch Times headlined "Tech Space Elusive in Brooklyn" should warm Jon Butler's heart:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/118406-no-space-for-tech-companies-in-brooklyn/

Granted 1000 Dean is supposed to be light-industrial focused (though by that definition, companies like MakerBot would fit in both categories), and is outside the Brooklyn Tech Triangle (not by much - the map in the print edition ends at Barclay's Center)...but the stats presented:

Of 23.3 million sq ft of office inventory in the Triangle (Dumbo / Navy Yard / Downtown) - only 1.33 million sq ft is currently vacant

523 "innovation firms" in the triangle, creating $3.1 billion output in 2013 - 20% of the companies are less than 16 months old

makes me wonder if the nearest adjacent industrial areas - Gowanus and Crown Heights West - aren't ripe for office conversions as well as light industrial?

• 1000 Dean, and most of the Crown Heights industrial area, isn't really a good spot for commuters, being closest to the S and C trains. A growing tech company would probably think twice before locating somewhere that'd essentially eliminate the possibility of hiring anyone commuting from Queens, Long Island, or NJ.

• Folks coming from Queens or LI could take the LIRR to Nostrand and then have a short walk over to 1000 Dean. NJ is harder, but you could do PATH to WTC and then the 4 or 5 to Franklin. Its not great if you are coming from other than the PATH communities, but it given the tech folks in Hoboken and Jersey City, its not horrible.

• There are several buildings nearby which have been carved into small work spaces for artists and tech geeks.

I believe they do well.

• July 25:

Aptandlofts seems to have an exclusive on renting out these properties, and their site is now advertising what some of the individual spaces in 1000 Dean will rent for:

http://www.aptsandlofts.com/rentals/1000-dean-street-unit-204-brooklyn-ny-11238

http://www.aptsandlofts.com/rentals/1000-dean-street-unit-224-brooklyn-ny-11238

http://www.aptsandlofts.com/rentals/1000-dean-street-unit-323-brooklyn-ny-11238

http://www.aptsandlofts.com/rentals/1000-dean-street-unit-351-brooklyn-ny-11238

The rents seem pretty reasonable.

The ads continue to state that occupancy will be possible as of Oct 1.

...1300 sq ft in a recently renovated building with good foot traffic and amenities = $2700 a month.

They state they are willing to consider 1 - 5 year leases, which makes me wonder just how large of an annual increase is part of the 5 year options. If the last 5 years are anything like the next 5, I would really consider these.

Note: No, I don't work for Brownstoner or 1000 Dean, or Aptsandlofts

• On track for an Oct 2013 opening, the pre-opening press is now running at full steam:

http://gothamist.com/2013/07/28/photos_brooklyn_flea_founder_is_ope.php#photo-1

^lots of photos^

• The Real Deal is a staple of those in real estate:

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/07/29/jonathan-butlers-crown-heights-commercial-complex-begins-leasing-today/

Here we go!

Note: The Brooklyn Flea and the beer hall are not expected to open until 2014, the hype is over the office spaces coming on line.

• October 9, 2013

3rd Ward seems to be in major financial trouble:

http://observer.com/2013/10/brooklyns-creative-community-3rd-ward-shutters-without-warning/

http://gothamist.com/2013/10/09/3rd_ward_abruptly_shutters.php

This makes me believe that the venue planned for 1000 Dean is in trouble as well:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130605/crown-heights/bushwicks-3rd-ward-brings-experimental-test-kitchen-crown-heights

....um, know anyone who might be interested in several thousand square feet of new commercial space in Crown Heights?

• i was just about to post. this is such a bummer. very sad for those employed by 3rd ward and those who wont be reimbursed. plus, crown heights really lost out- that culinary space wouldve been amazing.

• I wonder if the Culinary space will be affected -- maybe it was a separate capital project or entity? Jonathan Butler seems like a really shrewd guy who would REALLY make sure that his proposed tenant is solid...but I am sure we will learn more as time goes on.

• Hopefully the culinary space and commissary kitchen idea aren't dead. There are plenty of other successful well-run such kitchens all around NYC, and I'd think Jonathan & team can partner with them to open a Brooklyn location on Dean St.

This was one of the aspects of the building I was most looking forward to. And if the guys behind 3rd Ward are as poor at running a business as commenters elsewhere seem to say, maybe this is a good thing

• I suspect the folks that are running 1000 Dean will be ok; Commercial leases often require a substansial deposit.

They will keep this deposit, and then work their butt off to fill this space with a new tenant. The loss of 3rd is going to hurt; To use the language of a suburban mall, 3rd Ward was going to be an "anchor tenant"

• I'm also curious about whether the NYC Economic Development Corporation will be able to recoup any of the $1.5M it pledged to the Kitchen Incubator.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/35/5/dtg_3rdwardkitchen_2012_02_10_bk.html

Hopefully, that money was not paid in advance, but was instead to be paid out over a period of time as the venture matured.

• The more that gets out about the owners, the more it seems like they were a terrible choice.

Maybe they were reallllllly holding out that revenue generated from 1000 Dean would help them out of their situation. But also, they just seemed like selfish, trainwreck individuals.

http://freewilliamsburg.com/3rd-ward-members-will-not-get-refunds-owner-had-history-of-being-an-unorganized-slumlord/

• It does raise the question "Did the NYC Economic Development Corporation conduct due diligence before making this award, or was this award political in nature"

Marty Cooks Up Food Incubator

Bushwick's 3rd Ward—an artists' collective—has been tapped by the city's Economic Development Corp. to launch a million-dollar business incubator catering to Brooklyn's burgeoning food entrepreneurs, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz will announce tonight in his State of the Borough speech. He had served up the idea during last year's address and has said the space must be in a high-unemployment neighborhood, such as Bedford-Stuyvesant, Bushwick or East New York. The plan requires authorization from the mayor.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20120201/INS/120139972

Also, it has been quite sometime since western Crown Heights was a "high-unemployment neighborhood, such as Bedford-Stuyvesant, Bushwick or East New York".

I'd really like to read the specifics of how they were going to use the kitchen incubator in a way that benefitted the demographics this money was DESIGNED FOR, and how 3rd Ward successfully argued that they had the skill set to deliver these services.

I don't know if you ever went to the 3rd Ward site in Bushwick, but I took a woodworking class there a few years ago, and let's just say they were not providing NYC's long term unemployed or underemployed with programming.

A reputable, established non-profit such as FedCap seems like it would have been a better choice for the intent of EDC funds: http://www.fedcap.org/programs--education/vocational-training

• P.S. Sonja (the writer for DNA.info) and I read each other's work.

To me, it seems clear my jabbering provided her the base for the short piece she published today: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20131015/crown-heights/test-kitchen-space-at-1000-dean-limbo-after-3rd-ward-closure-bushwick

Hopefully she will be able to get some actual answers if she does another piece in a few weeks.

• The Observer did some digging, and wrote an obituary:

http://observer.com/2013/10/what-happened-to-3rd-ward/

Brownstoner staffers-

For obvious reasons, you have given this story little to zero coverage. Please let us know what you can, when you can.

Thanks,

whynot_31

• Nov 1

An Brownstoner article discusses progress at the site, but makes no mention of 3rd Ward's disappearance.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013/11/1000-dean-street-now-renting-small-office-spaces-targeting-january-occupancy/

I suspect the silence stems from ongoing litigation.

• Do you think it will be easy or difficult to find another group to run the test kitchen/incubator or whatever 3rd Ward was in charge of?

• They need to find a new anchor tenant. It is an attractive enough venue that I am sure several organizations are interested.

The question is, do they have the $?

....an organization that comes to mind is the School for Visual Arts Continuing Education program.

http://www.sva.edu/continuing-education

I think it would do well here.

• Jonathan Butler talks about the plans post-3rd Ward. And he says the beer hall is expected to open in March with four Flea/Smorg vendors. http://commercialobserver.com/2013/11/3rd-ward-1000-dean/

• 3rd Ward falling under is probably the best thing that could happen to 1000 Dean. Finding a new anchor tenant is a minor setback, but better than the business of, what seem to be, reckless and irresponsible business owners.

• To reduce chances of a repeat failure, I'm sure the next tenant will be vetted VERY closely by the lawyers and CPAs employed by 1000 Dean.

However, I am not as optimistic that NYC EDC will be able to apply this lesson as quickly.

• Epiclylaterd said:

Do you think it will be easy or difficult to find another group to run the test kitchen/incubator or whatever 3rd Ward was in charge of?

EDC is about to see ....they have now issued a new RFP for the project:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20131119/crown-heights/city-seeks-central-brooklyn-test-kitchen-after-3rd-ward-closes

Thanks Sonja!

• Readers, this development is one of several developments happening in western Crown Heights in 2014 that we will watching closely. To learn about the others, see this thread: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/37490/the-big-6-developments-in-western-ch-in-2013-the-big-11-developments-in-2014#Item_29

• Franklin Roadhouse? And if they're going to cash in on the hype of neighborhood tenants, couldn't they take the time to spell Barboncino correctly

• I have the sense that the people who create the flyers are not the same as the actual agents, and know very little about the neighborhood. They just use old material.
  • She might not be an anchor tenant, but she is one that will bring in a lot of foot traffic....--> Laurie Cumbo who began her term in the new year as the representative for Prospect Heights, Crown Heights and Fort Greene in 35th District Councilmatic District. Council Member Cumbo's district office will be located at 1000 Dean Street between Classon and Franklin Avenues. <---
  • Some more news about EDC's test kitchen RFP in DNAinfo:
    The building will host Councilwoman Cumbo's district office, and Berg'n Beer Hall will open in March.
  • They launched a new website today: http://1000dean.com/

While it is a cool website, it sure does list a lot of "availability". They appear WAY behind filling this space by their original Spring of 2014 prediction.Vacancies = money not earned.
  • "Today, redevelopment work is wrapped up at the property, and the building is set for a spring debut. Inspections and occupancy permits are the only hurdles left to overcome. 

Already, the building is nearly 30 percent leased."

Is that a lot or a little, at this stage?

• Based on the amount of press that tell us how great the office space is, I'd say they aren't resting.

More today:

http://www.bkmag.com/2014/03/04/crown-heights-goes-commercial-1000-dean-gets-the-brooklyn-flea-and-a-beer-hall/
  • whynot_31 said:

I'd be impressed if he pulled this off:

Likewise, I'd be impressed if he can fill the place with small companies quickly.

...I like being impressed.

I wrote that in April 2012.

It is now April 2014, and they have received their TCO. Tenants can begin moving in today.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2014/04/1000-dean-street-opens-today/

Elapsed time 24 months.
  • They are allowing local economic development groups to use the space for free.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/43993/people-who-think-the-area-can-support-more-economic-development-are-meeting-on-april-24th#Item_3

"By the way, have we mentioned that there is space available for lease in this new building we are presently in"
  • Today, I got to wander around the building a little.

Unlike the floors above, the first floor of the building is a giant, unpartitioned space.

I fear that they will be unable to secure a large tenant, and that it will simply become the winter home of the Brooklyn Flea.

This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook