What is happening to Hooti Couture?
  • Does anyone know why the quality of goods in this once pretty decent vintage shop has gone downhill. There is no vintage jewelry, just rows and rows of plastic beads, and cheap jewelry you buy at Pink Stone, trays of rings for $10 only in here they go for $15 each? Plastic fake stone stretch bracelets for $20?. And not much vintage, mostly used clothing from H&M and GAP, some pieces going for more than in store when brand new! With a bunch of great vintage shops on 5th, why would anyone shop here?
  • I have to say about the (probably) four times I went in there, everything I found that I liked had something major wrong with it.  A missing belt, a giant stain, a hole.

I once bought (a great--I wore this thing a lot) "vintage" dress (not at Hooti, somewhere else.)  After I got it home I did some more investigation.  It was from H&M.  The tags had been ripped out, but enough remained so that I knew.

This faux-vintage is not restricted to Hooti.  Caveat emptor!
  • bkchickie said:

This faux-vintage is not restricted to Hooti.  Caveat emptor!

agreed. I've seen a similar phenomenon with some items on the sale rack outside of one vintage shop in the Village.

I like going into vintage shops especially to find clip-on earrings. My ears never have been pierced, and finding clip-on earrings (let alone those that are comfortable) is difficult. 

• bkchickie said:

My ears never have been pierced, and finding clip-on earrings (let alone those that are comfortable) is difficult. 

You do know that many jewelry stores will convert pierced earrings to clip-ons, right?
  • No, I didn't know that! Which ones?

• Sorry, I didn't see this comment until today.  I know that there is at least one jewelry store by my office, Greenwich Jewelers on Greenwich Street in lower Manhattan that advertises that they do this.

I'm betting that they're far from the only ones who do this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Tagged