• I heard like 8 million fire trucks and ambulances in the neighborhood last night. Was I just imagining it?
  • Nope, I heard it also although I have no idea what the source of the ruckus was.
  • I just did a cursory check of Firewire and MNS, and didn't see anything that closely matched.

However, these sites only cover major fires/incidents/crimes, so there may have been something that was quickly handled.
  • This may be unrelated but driving around Kent and Franklin, 2 separate blocks had debris that wa burnt out. Like two separate (and rather large) street fires were started and then put out by the time I passed.
  • Is there some fire ritual related to Passover? I ask because yesterday morning I was driving east on EP and there was a large dumpster in front of 990 that was on fire. I saw young men walking over and throwing things into it, but couldn't tell what they were burning. The police were present. About 1 1/2 hours later when driving back home there was a fire truck present and the firemen appeared to have doused the fire and were raking through the dumpster to make sure everything was out. I assumed this was some sanctioned event since the cops were standing around just watching.
  • There is a fire ritual related to Passover.   Orthodox Jews burn food that is leavened, and therefore not allowed in the house during Passover.   Here are photos of the sanctioned dumpster fire in front of 770 Eastern Parkway: 

However, this is unlikely to be the source of fire truck and ambulance activity...
  • Massive police activity last night on 4th Ave between 54th & 55th in Sunset Park. Looked like the whole precinct was there. As I was parking my car, it sounded like a huge fireworks explosion for about 4 minutes. I could not locate the sound in the pouring rain. Nothing on DNAinfo or Gothamist. Are all these reports related?
  • whynot_31 said:

There is a fire ritual related to Passover.   Orthodox Jews burn food that is leavened, and therefore not allowed in the house during Passover.   Here are photos of the sanctioned dumpster fire in front of 770 Eastern Parkway: 

However, this is unlikely to be the source of fire truck and ambulance activity...

I'm assuming this is what I saw. We were driving through a more Hassidic area and it would explain why I couldn't find it on the Gothamist map. Thanks for the info!
  • salix said:

Massive police activity last night on 4th Ave between 54th & 55th in Sunset Park. Looked like the whole precinct was there. As I was parking my car, it sounded like a huge fireworks explosion for about 4 minutes. I could not locate the sound in the pouring rain. Nothing on DNAinfo or Gothamist. Are all these reports related?

The sound you heard was discussed here:
    http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44017/what-is-that-noise-over-park-slope-at-1020pm#Item_6

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Tagged