The Sea Crest linen site, 46 Crown St.

• Located at 46 Crown St, Sea Crest Linen has occupied a large site for decades. Though originally slated to close back in Sept 2013, the plant closed a few weeks ago.

Behind, it leaves a large site which is close to the museum, Prospect Park and other attractions....I don't think a factory will be opened in its place.
  • I used to run past this site with my dog regularly. Along with many industrial sites in this area, it is definitely ripe for redevelopment.
  • The site has been a laundry for a really long time.Prior to becoming Sea Crest, it used to be the site of Erasmus Laundry, with a smoke stack so old that they took off the top "E" and the "R" for safety reasons.http://forgotten-ny.com/2013/07/smokestacks/
  • The chimney can be seen in the center of the black roofs. All of the single story buildings with a black roof are part of the property.

Lots of alternate addresses
    42 44 48 56 58 60 62 64 Crown St
    902 904 906 908 910 912 914 Franklin Ave
  • I'm shocked that the business was open this long. I'm also surprised the spice factory in the next block is also still standing.I used to pass by this site every day on the way to elementary school. You can smell the laundry substances in the air.
    Behind, it leaves a large site which is close to the museum, Prospect Park and
      other attractions
    The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is also right down the street.
  • If I am understanding this correctly, two parties had liens on the property (Central Laundry Service Corp and GE Capital), and these liens were satisfied on 12/12/2013.

...given the financial shape of Sea Crest Linen, I suspect that some entity (i.e. an investment firm) paid off these liens in exchange for control of some the corporation's assets. Sure beats foreclosure....
  • A little more digging indicates that Central Laundry Service Corp seems to be the same entity as Sea Crest Linen:

At this very moment, several lawyers are working their butt off to get the legal affairs in order to the degree that the assets can be sold.

Pssst: The linen trucks and the equipment aren't very valuable in comparison to the land.
  • I'm not surprised it was in business that long. There is a huge demand for industrial laundry services for things like restaurants, hotels, hospitals, etc. You'd be shocked at how many places use these laundry services even in the neighborhood.
  • As a result of its massive size, this site has been added to the list of the "big developments coming to Western Crown Heights" that I watch closely:

There are two large developments in the immediate area of this site, which will add to the impact.   

The repopulating of Tivoli Towers:

The redevelopment of 931 Carroll:
  • The entire lot and all the buildings were bought for $14.25M.    It looks like Cornell Reality will be handling the development of whatever is to come....  http://cornellrealty.com/

This morning crews were on site removing the old industrial equipment left over from the laundry.

No demo permits yet...  
  • Thanks. Given the market, It would not surprise me if they were pouring a foundation next Spring.

• Today, I learned that 931 Carroll has sold, and was where Sea Crest used to repair its trucks. 

@dmiami2 do you know how many build able sq ft is allowed at the 46 Crown St site? 
  • I don't know off hand but technically this "site" is 3 separate lots.   I'd guess they need to combine the lots and reset on FAR etc. especially if they are looking for a large development.  I think one of the lots was acquired from the city fairly recently actually.   

This area is zoned R7 so i think they'd be able to go big with all that space.   Which would be in context in this particular area.

Also, the site on Carroll was bought by the same people.
  • Today, I was able to talk to one of the lead guys in charge of getting scrap metal out of the site. He reports the new owners take possession tomorrow, and that he removed a dryer and two 60' washers successfully. The washers sold for about $150k each, and are now in route to their new home: An industrial laundry in Las Vegas.

A third washer could not be sold, and will be sold as scrap and parts. "When the folk lift lifted it, it bent." It is pictured below.

This company will get the low value scrap:   

This is what a 60' long industrial washer looks like, as it is being attacked by guys with cutting torches:image

• This motor, belt, wheel assembly is one of several that turns the drum.     The drum is about 15' diameter, as depicted by the guys standing by it in the photo above.image
  • A system of racks (like one sees at the dry cleaners) used to be suspended from the blue beams. It has been removed and sold for a "pretty good price".   

This is the folk lift that barely fits underneath the ceiling, that bent the 3rd washer to the degree that it could not be sold as a unit:image

• The site is zoned R7A, which is defined here:

Which means that (unless it gets a variance) it can not be as tall as nearby Tivoli Towers or Ebbets Field.  

The only way I expect it to get a variance would be if the developer agreed to include affordable units.   

[DeBlasio, are you reading this?    You've said you'd like the city to have more affordable units.] 

If the site were to get a variance for affordable units, it could use the high floor, market rate units to subsidize the lower floor affordable units.   The market rate units would be high enough that they would get lovely views of BBG, Prospect Park, and Manhattan. 

Even if they build as of right (as zoned), they can still create a lot of units on this site, in a very nice neighborhood with lots of amenities.
  • What about environmental impact that this has had or soil composition? I used to walk by it when it was operational and saw them hauling the solution they used for cleaning. Always wondered what was in it (and if it safe, especially when clothes were drying).
  • Soil testing is part of the DOB approval process.

A part of me is glad that Sea Crest is out of business, because it means the city finally got (or will be) paid for the outstanding water bills.

Sea Crest was said to owe over $1M in water bills, and the DOB won't issue demolition or building permits if they have not been resolved.

I suspect the bills have already been paid during the foreclosure/bankruptcy process that allowed the guy I spoke with to purchase and remove the equipment before the new owners took possession.
  • Just to get our minds thinking about what the upper floors of a mixed unit building in this location might fetch:

• Let's hope that some of this might be affordable housing mentioned in an earlier comment.

Thanks for responding about the soil / environmental impact.

Though I am glad the City will get there money, I grieve for those who lost their jobs. I used to see folks going to work in the morning. There are fewer and fewer industrial jobs for folks who were trained in them. And the current economy is still unforgiving.
  • Curbed covered it as well.      ...my work here is done.     I "started" the story in January..   Lots of eyes are on the site now.

• Just adding DOB links

Note, we have several BINS to watch.   None of the BINS have any demolition permits YET.
  • I am VERY curious to see what happens with this site - I would think things should start moving quickly in the near future.  Is this area zoned for a high rise?
  • Please see my post on May 6th. Thanks.
  • Ahhhhh got it - looks like approximately 7 stories is as tall as it could be - but could still be ALOT of apartments given the size of the lot. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook