Brooklyn Back When - Open Thread
  • Good morning friends
    Lol my Easter post somehow wound up above this one & I posted the above on Easter!!!
    Hope you all had a nice Easter.
    We went to NJ to visit with relatives
    Lots of food & laughs.
    Weather is nice today
    Enjoy!!
    :)
  • Good morning friends
    "Happy Easter" enjoy & rejoice

Judy the pix are beautiful
    Crystal looks beautiful
    Sal is a handsome little man
    Everyone have a great holiday
  • Lol now post is below too?
  • Hi-been so busy since I retired..dental appt. today..tomorrow I take Jessica to the Doctor..then Thursday I have a doctor's appt....temps drop 20 degrees today-will be in the 50's but I'll take it....LOL..Patsy-did u watch DWTS last night? it's getting better every week..love Danica and Meryl..but James was great too! Terry..glad you're okay...isn't it the scariest thing-those tornado watches? get them all the time in the Chicago area...well have to get ready for my dental appt...have a nice day everyone............
  • Hi Anna
    Love Dwts.
    it does get better every week!
    Enjoy your day, dentist & all
  • good night sweet dreams
  • good morning friends

windy today, but nice..
    everyone, have a nice day!!

• Hi everyone Beautiful day here in Florida. spent the day with Judy and Richie Catalano. 
    Hope all is well..
  • Good morning friends
    Nice day again
    Enjoy!!
    No big deal, but posts are dated March instead of April??
  • Shock of all shock, two nice days in a row. That has been pretty rare here in Florida this spring. I have been pretty busy of late. The Nondenominational Christian Worship Service group has been using me a lot. Also spent my first shift as a dispatcher on the Sun City Center Security Patrol. When the NCWS has services at Nursing Homes or Assisted Living places, it really warms my heart to be able to share Gods love with those people. Some of the residents are pretty much with it but some are in sad shape. But when we sing old favorite Hymns it brightens up their faces and makes me feel like I am accomplishing something important and worthwhile.

Anna, get use to be very busy during retirement. Especially in the beginning. You get to do a lot of the things you have been putting off while working.

Patsy did you color & hide Easter Eggs this year? Carol and I still color them but do not hide them since we would probably forget where we hid them!!!!

To all the rest of you, enjoy spring weather when it hits your area.
  • Hi Warren
    We did not color eggs this year
    Definitely next year when grandson is
    Older. I miss the days of egg hunts with
    The kids. I'm so glad I have Gavin to do this with In the coming yrs (God willing)
    I thinks it's wonderful the volunteer work you are doing. Helping others & brightening their day. God bless you. Hope Carol is well
    Send regards
    Enjoy your day!!
  • Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone had a great Easter...

warren.....you are so wonderful to be spending your time making others feel so loved

Hi Patsy, Anna, Debbie and Terry

Have a great day
  • Hi All

Warren
    What was the name if the movie house on 16th street or 15th street years ago.   One was the Globe.  What was the other one and if there was another one.  I thought I remember you posting about them along time ago.
    Love what you are doing with the nursing  and assistant living people.
  • Hi Judy
    Hi cuz
  • Good night sweet dreams

Patsy were u on 6th avenue today???  The old neighborhood??
  • Terry, The Globe was on 15th Street just above 5th Avenue. There was a theater called the "16th Street" which was on 16th Street below 5th Avenue. We called the 16th Street "The Itch". It was pretty dirty. There was also a small theater on 6th or 8th avenue called the Minerva. Of course all those theaters including the Avon and Prospect are closed. The Sanders on PPW and 14th-15th Street is still open and it has a different name.
  • Thanks Warren

Good Morning All....
    Happy Friday.
    Have a great Day
  • Hi-Warren-God bless u for all the kind work you do..you're right-I love retirement because I have so much time to do all the things I didn't have time to do during the day...LOL...been decluttering the apartment a little at a time..took Jessica to her doctor's appt.on Wednesday-everything is the same..Brandon will be here when he decides to come..Praying it will be soon!!!  Watching Justin tomorrow night..weather is getting nicer everyday...feels like Spring...enjoy your weekend everyone and if I become a Grandma by Sunday I'll let you know.....bye
  • GOOD NIGHT SWEET DREAMS

IS THE Christening this weekend for Gavin???  Post photos Patsy
  • Hi guys
    Just watched the movie "Frozen " with my daughters. Movie is awesome.
    Hi cuz. yes Gavin's christening is tomorrow.
    Than 30 people to have dinner party for him at Vesuvio's.
    Was not in the old neighborhood since I went with you to St. Anna's reunion last year. Why do u ask? Do I have a double walking the old neighborhood streets?
    Lol
    Photos will be on Facebook
    I have to learn to post them on here
    Soon.

Hi Anna
    Enjoy Justin.
    Weather here has been nice too.
    Hello to all & enjoy the rest of your weekend.
  • Good Morning and Happy Sunday

Have a great  day 
  • Patsy
    Sofia Pica said she saw u on 6th avenue.  Maybe it was someone who looked like you..

Have a great Christening.  God Bless Gavin today and always
  • God Bless Gavin on his Christening Day!!!!

Patsy...I also watched Frozen....loved it....my grandson didn't want anything to do with it...lol

Hi everyone...have a great day
  • Went to the cemetary yesterday ...can't believe my mom is gone two years already. Love and miss her so much everyday.

• Hi guys
    Christening was beautiful
    Dinner party was awesome
    Great day!! We're very thankful.
    Hi cuz
    Yes I saw Sofia but on 6th ave in bay ridge.
    She was driving by when I was walking with some friends
    Hope you're having fun in Fla
    C u soon xx

Hi Judy
    2 yrs went by quickly. May she be dancing with the angels.
    I look at your mom withy mom everyday in the picture you sent me.
    I love that picture!!
    Xx.

Everyone, enjoy your night
  • Hi-Patsy-watched Justin Saturday night....had so much fun...Judy-I know how u feel-this Sunday it will be 16 years since my Mom passed..it seems like yesterday...you never get over it...well, I'm still on baby watch..Jessica is due on Thursday and the wait is killing me...LOL...will keep u posted...have a great day..........
  • Picture this ladies. On April 20 it was 59, yes 59 years ago that my father passed away. April 20, 1955. Six months before that, Oct 6 1954, my Mother passed. That will be 60 years ago come October 6, 2014. They were so young, 51 and 54 years old. They really just began to enjoy life. Finally could afford vacations and not have young children to worry about. They did not have much of a chance to enjoy their grandchildren. A very smart man told me one time that death is part of life! He also advised me to concentrate on the good times with my parents while they were alive and healthy. He said "do not mope around and only think of their illnesses and passing." I have tried very hard to do that. All my brothers (two of them) and my sister died in the past few years since I moved to Florida. They lived here as well. The brothers on the West coast of Florida and my sister on the East coast of Florida. I am the only sibling left. We did get to spend some time together in our late years and thank God for that! Memories are wonderful and we should try and concentrate on the good memories...Too bad we can't do smiley faces any more. This would be a good place for one.
  • Beautifully said Warren

Patsy...glad the Christening was so beautiful.....post some pics!!!

Anna.....Waiting to hear the good news

Have a great day
  • Hi guys
    Cast is off (that's the good news)
    Bad news, it is still very sore
    Dr said my age, it will be a couple of months until it feels really good.
    He suggested physical therapy.
    I will look into that. Not thrilled though.
    Hope everyone is good.
    Debbie, hope you feel better.
    Looking forward to breakfast on
    Thursday. Will call you later.
    Enjoy your night, people

• Hi-Good news everyone-Brandon Peter Krinner came into the world last night at 10:53 PM-he's a little peanut...6 lbs.15 oz-18 1/2 inches..but pink, healthy and with a full head of hair!   LOL.. my kids were all bald when they were young so I am thrilled!  Nothing like having a new baby in the family...I'm so excited!  talk to u soon.....bye
  • Good morning friends
    Congrats Anna
    Nothing more exciting than a new baby
    Is right!! Enjoy!!

Everyone have a great day
    Stay dry
    Lots of rain here
  • Anna....Congratulations on your new grandson......how is your daughter feeling?

Have a great day.......horrible rainy day here...
  • Hi Patsy....I had the surgery on my wrist and elbow two months ago and some days it's still so sore, especially when it rains. The doctor said it will take a while to feel completely better.

This weather is so horrible out, haven't stopped raining all day.

Keep dry.....
  • Hi all. Been going crazy because I have shingles!! Omg the pain.....thank god it's easing up now but this last week has been hell!

Judy I can't believe 2 years have passed already, then again I can't believe my mom will be gone 10 years in June

• What did I do, only half my comment posted!! Grrrr

Patsy I'm feeling a little better thanks for checking on me

Anna congratulations on your new grandson. Enjoy him.

Warren I hope you're doing ok I heard Florida was getting hit hard with rain.

Terry home sweet home for you tomorrow lol
  • thanks everyone for the well wishes..Jessica is doing okay-last minute c-section but shes felling better-she's going home tomorrow already..saw her and the baby this morning..been raining here since Monday-it could be worse-it could be snow..LOL Debbie-I heard shingles was very painful...always something right...heard the east coast is flooding (even in the panhandle of Florida) my son is in North Carolina on business and I heard they had tornado watches..my brother sent me pics of the new house-the walls are up and the roof is going on this week...things are starting to move fast!  well, got to go..........talk to u soon
  • Oh Debbie....wow I also heard they are painful...hope you feel better real soon.
  • Hello All,
    1st of all-Debbie, several years ago Carol had shingles. It must be taken seriously. Carol's were on her face and traveled right near her eye. They got her medication in time which kept it from affecting her sight. Since then, we have both had the Shingle shot which will help prevent, maybe, future episodes.

We in the west coast, central part of Florida, have not been hit with the serious rains. They are predicting storms later today and tomorrow. The Panhandle is on the Northwest coast of Florida and that area is subject to all kinds of wild weather. They were hit with 22 inches of rain yesterday. Hard to even imagine that much rain.

Judy & Patsy, I heard lifting a few glasses of booze helps heal painful wrists etc:. At least it may help you forget about the pain!

Anna, It is the duty of all grandparents to spoil their Grandchildren rotten!! Good luck!
  • I am home sweet home Debbie
    Feel better.  Yes they say shingles very painful.
    Anna congratulations, nice to hear some happy news these days.
    Judy it is hard to believe Loraine is gone two years. I remember going to visit her for her birthday when she was sick. What I remember most is her on 27th street when we were kids..
    Warren my cousin Rosa's son is is the service and he is in Afghanistan right now but his wife and baby live on the base in Pensacola and it is so bad there with this rain.  I left Wednesday and it was beautiful.  Yes we must concentrate on the good memories in our life with all our loved ones.  those who are gone and those we still have..

• Good morning friends,
    Welcome home Cuzzies
    Will talk with you soon xx
    Everyon, enjoy your weekend!
  • Welcome home Terry

Anna hope your enjoying your new grandson

Debbie feel better

Hi Warren and Patsy

Have a great weekend
  • Hi All
    Hope your day has been geat
  • Terry, you got out just in time! Rain came yesterday (Friday) afternoon and it was a deluge. Not as bad as the Panhandle but parts of Tampa and other low lying areas in the whole area have been hit hard. It is still raining now (Saturday morning) and they are expecting it off and on all day. Tampa got 3" yesterday. Parts of Pinellas got hit as well. We got 2" yesterday in Sun City Center.

Anna, you are used to the snow, get used to the rain when you move down here. We get plenty of Sunshine but when it rains, watch out!

Tomorrow I have light duty. Just have to run the Communion service here in our Adult Community.

All the rest of you, enjoy your weekend.
  • Good morning friends
    Happy Sunday
    Enjoy your day!!
  • Good morning everyone-cloudy day today..but in the 70's & 80's by the end of the week..can't wait..going to Jessica's everyday this week to help her out..taking them to the baby's 1st checkup tomorrow......want to wish my Mom Happy 16th Anniversary in Heaven...you are loved and missed.....talk to everyone soon.......
  • Hi all.....

Thank you, yes the shingles are very painful. I had them on my hand, wrist n finger. Thank God it's better but still hurts some. Just glad it wasn't worse.

Warren that had to be so scary for Carol having them on her face. The medicine does work fast to stop it from spreading if you catch it quick.

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend
  • Good morning friends
    Hope everyone is well.
    Enjoy your day!!
    Anna enjoy the baby & May your mom
    Be dancing with the angels.
  • Thank you Patsy...Been with Jessica every day since yesterday helping her out..baby has his nights & days mixed up...we can all relate...LOL...my son is in North Carolina & will come home to see me and the new baby this weekend....going to be 80 tomorrow and 85 on Thursday..took Jessica and Brandon to the nurse yesterday..they went on Friday & he lost 10 ozs since his birth (they say that's normal to lose some ozs) well, we had a good laugh...he put on 1/2 a pound in 3 days!  in between everything else, I'm still decluttering the apartment and officially vacate the apt. on June 30th...my brother sends pictures and the house is coming along really fast!  walls are up and roof with shingles is on already and it's only been 3 weeks..there is a possiblility I will be moving the beginning of July if this keeps up!  Patsy-what did u think of DWTS?  Didn't care for the guest judge but I think all the dancers are great this year!  well, better say goodnight, talk to u in a few days!........Bye
  • Hi Anna
    Glad all is going well with family & the
    Move!! Dwts I love this is best season for sure due to changes & adding new things to the show. Judge Abby Lee Miller
    Is very honest & a great dance coach.
    I watch a show called Dance Moms which is all about her & her students & dance career. ( 3 seasons already).
    She tells it like it is, but to mess with Maks,
    Bad move. We all know he does not hold back. I enjoyed Mondays show with her.
    Weather here is nice too!
    Enjoy your day & talk to you soon.

• Good morning friends
    Enjoy the weather & your day!!
  • Good morning all
    Patsy did u get my email I can't shop June 7th have two parties.
    Hi my little Gavin xoxoxoxo
    Yes Warren got out just in time and I brought the nice weather back here it has been great
  • Howdy all!

I hope that life in God's Country remains really good for everyone.

Weather here in St Paul has been kinda cold for this time of year but we're enduring it and looking forward to nicer weather.

• Good afternoon friends
    Hi cuz
    Yes I read it last night
    You will be missed :(
    If date changes or another is planned I will let u know.
    Love you & Gavin sends xox

Hi Richard
    Hope u are well
    It's raining today & will rain tomorrow
    Enjoy your day!!
  • Good morning friends
    TGIF & happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there'.
    Enjoy your weekend!
  • Hi all
    Prodigalson  we have been lucky has not been cold since I got back from Florida. I brought the warm weather back here.  lol
    Oh Patsy
    I wish they would change the date I am going to miss being there with u guys..
    Have a great Mothers Day All

• Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing good.

To all you Moms out there....have a wonderful Mother's Day

• Good morning friends
    Enjoy your weekend!
    Cuz I sent you an email
    Love you & will talk to you soon!!
    Everyone have a great day!!
  • Ohh great finally found all of you!!
    Its been so long.....just read back this page ....Congratulations Patsy, Judy and Anna on your handsome little guys!! Im gonna be a Grandma again in July cant wait .....they dont want to know what it is yet!! Im so upset still that we lost Freddy and my ANTHONY and Tommy Reilly!!
  • OMG is that the Long Lost Jim back on here .....and where the heck is Pinto??
  • Thank you everyone at Brooklynian for keeping this site going ....you guys all rock!!! So do the few of you who have been posting to keep it going!!
  • mothers day photo: Mothers Day md10.gif

To All the Beautiful Moms here or no longer here .... <3
  • Suzie.....so good to see you back on......Congratulations on becoming a grandmother again....have a wonderful Mother's Day
  • Hi Suzie!!
    Great to see you back on here!
    Stay awhile & visit with us.
    Have a great Mother's Day & congrats on your new grandchild. Is it Vinny & his wife's baby?
  • I wonder if Jim will come back on
    Soon?
  • Can someone please put directions on this blog for me on how to post pictures?
    Thank you :)

• Just click this little blue icon:   imageupload.

It is to the top left of the comment box.
  • Good morning friends
    Hope you all have a great Mother's
    Day!
    Enjoy :)
  • Thanx so much Whynot
    I will give it a try later on
    Have a great day!!!
  • hi everyone happy mothers day,congrats to all the new borns,and there families.anna how,s retirement going.the old globe was a second home to us.i remember coming out of ps 146 on Fridays after school,and I guy would be handing out card board flyers,and if you got the right color flyer,you would get into the globe for free,but we knew Eleanor longo,who worked at the globe as a matron,so we always got in for free,and she would give me and my older brother john,a big bag of popcorn.so many Saturday mornings there.and anna having a hobby in retirement is a good option.but you will find your own path.ok every one take one day at a time,and do the best you can.take care bobbyc
  • Hello and Happy Mothers day to all you wonderful Mothers.

Bobby C . I do not know if that was the same mean matron who would check your ticket stubs and if it was the wrong color (meaning you already saw the whole show) she would throw you out! Since I am so much older then most of you, it was probably a different time and a different Matron. The show consisted of Two feature films, a couple of serials (like superman or batman), several cartoons and the coming attractions. They would change the ticket colors at the box office, timing it with a complete showing of all of the above. The Avon was a little more lenient. The Prospect cost a little more then the Globe and Avon so we seldom went there on Saturdays. The Prospect was a lot nicer though and they had an organ. The Organ would pop up and you would follow the bouncing ball on the words on the screen as you sang along! Before my time the Prospect had Vaudeville and some people who became big stars later in their careers played the Prospect. Believe it or not there was a sign painted near the top of the side of the Prospect which said "Talking Movies-Air Conditioned."
  • Gavin now 5 months old
    My little prince

Thank you again Whynot.
    It was so easy
  • Hope everyone enjoyed their day.
    Brunch with the kids was great
    Went to Cebu restaurant here in bay ridge& dinner was good too!!
    We had ravioli in sauce, meatballs, salad & fresh Italian bread from the Italian deli a block away. My hubby helped cook & he & the kids did the cleaning up.
    Relaxing now & watching tv.
    Enjoy your night

• Sorry, picture came up 3 times
    Lol
  • Hi Warren
    Hi Bobby
    Love the stories
    They bring back nice memories.
  • Happy Mothers Day Ladies
  • Why is only half my post showing? Oh well. I hope everyone had a great day. 

Sue glad you're back. 
  • Good morning friends
    Weather is beautiful
    Lots to do today
    Enjoy!!
  • Patsy...Gavin is so adorable....so big already

Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day
  • Hi guys
    Thanx Judy!
    He is something else,
    Everyone, enjoy your day!!!
  • Welcome Back Suzie
    Hi everyone
    Good night sweet dreams
  • Good morning friends
    Enjoy your day!!
  • Hi Everyone ....Patsy ...Gavin is so handsome...they are so precious! I hope everyone enjoyed their Mother's Day. Hi Terry and Debbie.....I dont really come on the computer anymore ....I do everything on the Iphone....times are changing so fast! Hi Jerry and Jeanette
    Have a Good night Everyone ...

sunsets photo: Sun Rise 855065782_28c3c04b4e.jpg
  • Hi everyone-been so busy-helping with the new baby, and I was with the kids this weekend- my son came up from Central Illinois to see me and his new nephew and we all went out for breakfast for Mother's Day...had a doctor's appt today but will go see Jessica and Brandon tomorrow-taking a trip to the mall just to get out of the house for awhile...hi Bobby C-since I've retired  I'm out 7 days a week...LOL..and when I move to Florida I'm quite sure I'll really be busy..the DelWebb community has 200 social clubs and a travel club so I think I'll find something to do...LOL...Suzie-I'm so glad you're back on..please stop by and see us more often!!! Whatever happened to Pinto and Jeannette? Hi to Terry,Debbie, Patsy (sorry to see Charlie White leave on DWTS), Judy and Warren...talk to u soon..good night.....................
  • Good morning friends
    Hope you all enjoy your day!!
  • Hi Anna
    Glad all is well with the new baby & family.
    Charlie was not one of my faves on Dwts
    Val & Danica are gone but my second fave
    Couple Derek & Amy are still in it.
    I am rooting for them to win!
    Hi everyone
    Enjoy your night!
    We have lots of rain heading this way over the next 2 days.
    Stay dry.
  • Good Morning All
    Have a great day.
    Big wedding this weekend
    Jonathan now finished his second year in law school
    The wedding is for his roommate and April's roommate from college.
    They have been good friends since college.  They all studied (yeah) in Italy years ago for a semester. Time is going too fast.
    Hi little Cuzzie Gavin I love ya and before you know it Gavin will be in college.  lol
    xoxoxoxo
  • Good morning friends
    Hi cuz
    Enjoy your big weekend.
    Gavin sends xox to you & the Cuzzies.
    Today Gino & I are married 22 yrs.
    Doing dinner & movie tomorrow night.
    Everyone, enjoy your weekend!!
  • Patsy, Congrats, enjoy your anniversary celebration. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, Carol & I will be celebrating our 54th anniversary comes June.

Suzie, welcome home!!!

Anna, aint retirement grand???

Hi Judy, Debbie, T-Bone and the rest of our faithful contributors.
  • Hi guys
    Thanx Warren
    54 yrs. God Bless
    I hope you & Carol have many more.
    Hubby & I are staying home tonite,
    But tomorrow it will be dinner & a movie.
    I want to see Godzilla in 3D
    I loved that movie when I was a kid.
    The new version looks good.
    Remember the old movie the mouth &
    Words were not in sync?
    We are picking up tix tonite, b/c the lines will belong since the movie just came out
    Today.
    Everyone, enjoy your weekend!'
  • Hi -beautiful day out but in the 40's..we had snow yesterday...went to Justin's kindergarten graduation last night..it was the cutest thing!  Brandon is changing every day-almost 3 weeks old already...Warren-retirement is the best!!!  going out with friends today for lunch...Congrats Patsy on your anniversary-have fun tonight!  everyone enjoy the weekend.........talk to u soon....................
  • Happy Anniversary Patsy and Gino.....have a great time tonight

Have a good time At the wedding Terrry

Hi Anna, Warrren, Debbie, Suzie, Richard and Bobby

Beautiful weather out....enjoy!!!!
  • Hi guys
    Beautiful day!
    Thanx guys for the congrats.
    Anniversary was quiet dinner at home

We did a yard sale on the block today.
    Went well
    Got rid of a lot of stuff & made some $$$
    Always fun, but a lot of work.
    Going to see Godzilla tonite & out to
    Dinner.
    Enjoy your night
  • Hi again
    Let me say Godzilla was really good.
    I enjoyed all 2 hrs of it.
    I would see it again.
    Completely different ( & much better)
    Than the original.
    It was so good that Godzilla got everyone in the theatre clapping & cheering him on
    At the end!!

Dinner was delicious.

Went to peppinos Italian restaurant
    Here in bay ridge. I love that they play
    Italian music all night.
    Hubby & I had cold antipasto &
    Spaghetti shrimp marinara.
    DELICIOUS.......
    Have a great night!
  • Hi guys
    Happy Sunday!
    My grandson Gavin had his first taste of food today. He was introduced to sweet potato. My daughter Natalie made it with a sweet potato In the purée machine.
    He didn't like it that much.
    We all watched his reaction. Not too happy.
    Lol
    I will try to post picture of him eating it.
    He will probably like fruit better.
    He took a spoonful & shook his head & shoulders. Too cute!!!
    Cooking now.
    Have a great night!!