A resident of Crown Heights is profiled in The Post
  • Maybe she's got two or three bedrooms. If the landlord was offering 60K for her to get out it sounds like a big place.She needs to get a roommate or a second job. $1256 is not a lot of money in today's market.
  • Yes, many people are likely quite envious of the amount she is paying, but not the PERCENT she is paying.

I think she is a pretty typical example of those leaving the neighborhood.
  • comment from brownstoner sums it up:  

translation: “I want more space than I need, and below-market rates, while someone else shoulders the financial burden, in one of the most expensive cities in the world, in a nice neighborhood, while working a retail job.”

Priorities girl. I’ll be she also blows any discretionary income on lots of clothes and cocktails. No pity. Move to a studio in Queens.

• The article specifically states she lives in a 2 bedroom. Given this I feel zero sympathy for her - get a roommate and split the 1256 rent. To live in that location for 628 is a STEAL!!!
  • A follow up story in a few months would be interesting.

Will she:

1.   Get a roommate?    (is one allowed on her lease?    Will she be evicted for this?)

2.   Get a better job?

3.   Take the $60k and move?

• goldemi1 said:

comment from brownstoner sums it up:  

translation: “I want more space than I need, and below-market rates, while someone else shoulders the financial burden, in one of the most expensive cities in the world, in a nice neighborhood, while working a retail job.”

Priorities girl. I’ll be she also blows any discretionary income on lots of clothes and cocktails. No pity. Move to a studio in Queens.

Nowhere in the article does she say she wants anyone else to shoulder the financial burden. And if she's been here in this "nice neighborhood" as long as it sounds, long before gentrification, it wasn't so "nice". But it IS home. Her priority doesn't seem to be "blowing any discretionary income on lots of clothes and cocktails" as you assume, because nowhere in the article do we read that, but simply to remain in the home she's known for so many years where she lived with family. Your suggestion that she move to a studio in Queens is one echoed by many of the new residents in the neighborhood where many of us have called home for 10, 15, 20 or more years, and seems not only insensitive, but disrespectful. And how long before Queens rents are impossible to afford as well?

Any extra income I have is "blown" on thrift store clothes, I only drink water, and in the backyard of my apt I grow some of my own food. But I (struggle to) continue paying my bills because this is my home. Why should she or I (or anyone else) have to move to Queens (and continue moving)  when wealthier people decide to move into a formerly undesirable neighborhood and raise rents to over twice what they were not that long ago?

One thing I do agree with is that anyone who lives in a 2 bedroom apt in NYC who can't afford it should do like the rest of New Yorkers and get a roommate. Or two.  
  • However, if someone offered me $60,000 I'd move to Florida and buy a house, the hell with neighborhood pride. :)
  • Tenants who are paying market rate often believe that they are covering the costs of the rent stabilized tenants.

In my view, this belief is usually exaggerated.

-The rent stabilized apartment is often far less well maintained than the market rate ones, and this accounts for much of the relative costs.

In other instances, the apartments are of the same quality and the market rate tenant is unable to come to terms with the fact that they paid a price based on current market conditions, and the "deal" received by the long term tenant is no longer available.

I view this as being similar....

At work, employees who started years before me are able to join the pension plan. Newcomers are not able to join it, no matter how long they stay.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook