Question about Prospect Park off leash situation
  • Hi all. I never took my dog to the park during off leash hours. Are there areas where I can take her where we can just play ball without interacting with other dogs? She has been attacked twice in a dog park in Manhattan and this has made here very freaked out around other dogs. If she is off leash and playing with me she won't approach another dog but is not happy when one approaches her. Is this possible or should I just forget Prospect Park? Thank you!
  • Here's some info about Prospect Park off-leash areas, times and rules. The areas are big enough that you should probably be able to keep your distance from other dogs if it's not too crowded.
  • You can also connect with Fidobrooklyn.org.  They are a great resource for pet owners and information on off-leash rules and restrictions.  They may be able to help you find a good spot or even help your doggie get over her fear.  

Here's Fido's page about where off leash is allowed:
    http://www.fidobrooklyn.org/offleash/offleashwinter.html

I am not sure but I think Mt. Prospect Park is much smaller and has off leash and also in the park behind the JHS on 5th Avenue.  

Good luck.

• I might suggest Mount Prospect Park anytime other than off-leash, if your pup needs a little alone time. Just.keep your eyes open for the occasional police car to avoid a ticket but usually you won't have any problem there and your pup will have a good open space to run and play ball with minimal chance of encountering other dogs.
  • Just let you dog run wild, pee on benches and poop on playground equipment.  That's what everyone else does.
  • I might suggest Mount Prospect Park anytime other than off-leash, if your pup needs a little alone time. Just.keep your eyes open for the occasional police car to avoid a ticket...

Please don't do that. It shows a lack of courtesy to the other people who use the park.
  • You can try behind the Brooklyn Museum, the huge parking lot is where I have seen dogs running around, though not overly crowded. The fence borders the Botanic Garden.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook