HELLO HEALTHY NIBBLES (formerly Caribbean Flavor)
  • 1. They have seats and tables.

2. Their lunch special is BANGING! Lots of food for $5.

3. A Trini, Guyanese, and Jamaican chef. (I asked) So you're getting 3 styles of West Indian Food.

Good times.

Attached files image
  • Caribbean Flavor

707 NOSTRAND AVE

Brooklyn, NY 11216

Phone: (718) 774 7677

• btween sterling and park!

• We tried it for lunch. The jerk is spicy, but not dry. The peas and rice were nicely flavored with coconut milk and the $5 lunch is almost enough for two meals. I'll definitely go back. I'd say they are one of the better places on Nostrand.

• Press:

The brand new restaurant offering Caribbean cuisine opens its doors at Brooklyn. Caribbean Flavor features Lunch Specials which includes curry, stew, seafood, vegetables, sides, chicken and pork served with fried rice or white rice or peas, etc.

Caribbean Flavor’s breakfast menu includes dishes like Salt Fish, Fry Potato, Fry Okra, Bhagee, Fish Cake, Cassava Ball, House Special Fried Rice, Cow Heel, Veggie, etc. The restaurant serves Chow Mein, Goat Curry, Oxtail Stew, Fried Chicken, Pepper Shrimp Seafood, Bunjal Pork (curried) and much more. Caribbean Flavor is opened all the days from 7 AM- 12 AM.

photos and quote: http://blog.whereyoueat.com/brooklyn/grand-opening-caribbean-flavor-in-crown-heights/

• Just notice the sandwich board ad for $6 dinner special.

• My sense is that it is tough to make a profit at these price points.

This place is going to need to sell A LOT of food to make a profit.

• Its not that far off of the other Caribbean places and they seem to do alright :wink:

• Yes, the nearby blocks present this restaurant with lots of established competition.

So far, he seems to be going against the competition head on. As pointed out about, his strengths are the quantity of food you get, and the ability to eat in. This may allow him to steal some customers from established places.

...further increasing the chances that the established places go out of business when their present lease expires, and they are faced with an increase.

It would be interesting to see whether the overall demand for Carib Food on Nostrand is presently increasing or decreasing.

• Another reason these guys win...

Unlike all the other West Indian spots on Nostrand..they are open on Sunday. And they run that $5 lunch special on the weekends!!!

• Ok Ok fine! I'll give them a go and post my findings.

• Any decent vegetarian offerings? I like the sound of a $5 lunch special.

• ehgee said:

Any decent vegetarian offerings? I like the sound of a $5 lunch special.

yep...curry channa and potato, pumpkin, cassava, ackee, spinach..lots of veggie stuff.

• I just stopped in here for dinner on Wednesday and liked it so much that I had to go back for more on Thursday. Their food is fresh, delicious, and the price is more than right! I especially enjoyed the rice & peas with curry sauce on top + jerk chicken.

I was talking to one of the very sweet & friendly owners, who told me that things are going pretty well, but that they are still trying to get the word out about their business. They just had new menus delivered on Monday and their daughter set up a Yelp page yesterday. So if you have eaten there and would like to show some love, here's a link to Caribbean Flavor on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/caribbean-flavor-new-york

• And it appeared to be closed today.
  • Looks like they cleared out the stove and counters
  • I think the next restaurant should not try to compete with existing West Indian places, all of which may be serving a shrinking demand.
  • I would suggest southern Indian, which has many fans and zero representation (!) in the borough at this time.
  • And, now we have new entity coming to the site:

The entity seems to have been created back in January:

• Healthy Nibbles...perhaps it will be similar to this vegan shop over on Flatbush? http://www.yelp.com/biz/healthy-nibbles-brooklyn
  • wow. oh well. so long carribbean flavor. your lunch specials were tasty while they lasted. but HELLO HEALTHY NIBBLES!! If this is the same spot from Flatbush, I'm excited :D 
  • I noticed the door open today so I walked in and asked the person inside about it and they said they will have "lots of organic dishes, juices, things like that". She said they are going to try to open by the end of the month.

It looked quite nice on the inside.
  • On Sunday, I noticed that windows with custom lettering declare "Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch"

...which made me believe that this stretch of Nostrand is about to get a venue with table service and a focus on Brunch.

I don't believe they have put in a liquor lic application, but if they do, this could be an additional signal of the variety of dining they hope to provide. 

• Photos of the Healthy Nibbles location at 305 Flatbush:

HealthyNibbles_V1_460x285 

ny-healthy-nibble

• What a lovely store! I hope that our Healty Nibbles will be similar!
  • I am pleased because the owner appears to have experience running a successful restaurant.     The place on Flatbush has been open for years.

I do not believe either of the recent venues at this location (Caribbean Flavor, Joey's Lunchbox) came to Nostrand with similar accomplishments and resources.

• Two pictures from the Nostrand storefront! Looks nice so far!
  • To upload a photo, press the icon that looks like this: 
    imageupload

• From DNA Info:

"Mery Gueye runs the Flatbush Avenue wrap, salad and smoothie shop Healthy Nibbles and she's set to open a second location in Crown Heights by the end of the month.

Gueye originally ran a frame shop on Flatbush Avenue at Prospect Place. She turned half of it into a restaurant in 2011.

The new
    restaurant will serve many of the same things as the original Nibbles,
    with one difference: breakfast foods. The new spot has a separate
    kitchen that will allow Gueye to make pancakes, waffles and in-house
    baked goods.

She plans to open Meme's Healthy Nibbles by May 20."

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140507/crown-heights/more-health-food-yoga-coming-crown-heights-may
  • Rachel at DNAInfo should give us a share of her tiny salary.
  • well but no - she may have used the board for inspiration, but she did her own reporting and tracked down and talked to the owner. That's already a serious cut above the reporters who used to work for Prospect Heights Patch. 
  • I agree.    I look at us as finding stories that would be interesting.   Rachel (and her predecessor, Sonja)  then put in actual work.   I like ghost writing.   I after all, write behind an avatar. 

I have also met Rachel and Sonja on several occasions, and both seem to have a sense of humor.   

Now, we don't have to wonder whether the new place will be a source of pancakes for Nostrand.

We can confidently state to Nostrand: Pancakes are coming!

• Yay for more pancakes....but I'm pretty sure that the Spanish diner on the corner of Nostrand and Park has been serving up pancakes for years...lol
  • No doubt.   ...but hopefully Nostrand is hungry for more

736 Nostrand, JC Mar
    Screen shot 2014-05-07 at 10.49.18 PM
  • Spanish diner breakfasts are the best. Very happy to have ours, on Kingston. But back to Nostrand. Chop Chop Grub Shop also serves pancakes, all day, though I haven't tried them yet.
  • Meme's pancakes seem like they will be geared toward "wholesome, natural, organic" customers. 
  • Maybe it's time to start planning a Brooklynian pancake crawl.
  • Stranger things have happened.
  • whynot_31 said:

Meme's pancakes seem like they will be geared toward "wholesome, natural, organic" customers. 

Yeah their old store on Flatbush was super crunchy...it was great!!
  • Curious that articles about the Flatbush location have the owner as "Mary Walker"
    Whereas the DNA.info article about the Nostrand location has her as "Mery Gueye" while also stating that she's the same person behind the flatbush location. 

I mean, I realize that women's last names sometimes change and that Mary and Mery are easily variants on the same name. Just curious if there's been any sort of change in ownership. Many of the Yelp reviews on the Flatbush location rave about the food and the prices but complain about a sour unfriendly woman running the place. 
  • I don't put a lot of faith in Yelp reviews, because a lot people are unfriendly and are then treated unfriendly in response, and then have no awareness of "why that just happened like that".

My bias is that if she made enough money from the Flatbush location to open up a new location, she must be doing something correctly.

...She must have a customer based of some kind.

Nostrand has a lot vegetarian restaurants. It should be interesting to see if some of the existing vegetarians have the means and preferences that match her offerings.
  • JC Mar (also known by its prior name "El Sabor Latino" or simply to the corner boys "El Sabo La") has the best Spanish diner breakfasts around. I knew it was the bomb because many years ago when I moved in, my contractors swore by that place. Contractors and cops can suss out the best food even in the sketchiest of neighborhoods.

That said, Healthy Nibbles should be a good addition. Many of the local vegetarians are Rastafarians and Yorubans, and it will be interesting to see how open Nibbles will be to that population. Certainly the juice spot a couple of doors down has most of them on lock as it provides inexpensive vegan and vegetarian fare in addition to natural juices.
  • Rachel responds:

"Glad you liked my story about Healthy Nibbles. Mery Gueye seems like a really cool lady. Nostrand is lucky to have her!

And no, I won’t part with any of my tiny salary! :)"

"Maybe I’ll see you at the CB8 meeting tonight? Stay dry today!

Rachel"
  • Spoke to the owner at the Flatbush location (and she seemed very nice!) --- she said the nostrand location will be open this weekend!
  • She is clearly going for the AM coffee crowd.

I wonder if she will offer table service for busier times, like weekend brunch.

• For anyone who hasn't been there, it's hard to see, but that space is pretty big
  • It looks really nice! Very elegant. And  it is a huge space, so it ends up significantly "updating" that stretch of Nostrand Ave. Maybe we will have flower boxes to look forward to.
  • Good deal.  That Flatbush location has been open for a long time, and it seems to have morphed from an ice-cream place into a vegan restaurant over the years.  I occasionally get a sandwich there, and the food and people are nice.  It seems like the space sharing has been working out for both businesses.

• Went in for breakfast this morning.  The space is beautiful, the owner is really nice, and I had a great ginger-y kale juice that almost made me forget I was drinking vegetables.  I am intrigued by the vegan ice cream so I will have to return.  Happy that they're there.

Unfortunately, reading this thread has made me hungry for JC Mar, so tomorrow's breakfast promises to be much less healthy than today's.
  • This place looks great!! Great service, good drinks, nice ambiance and high chairs for babies on the way...woo hoo!!!
  • I went to Meme's Healthy Nibbles on Wednesday, and had a wonderful wrap (the "I Am Thankful, which had hummus, avocado, lettuce, carrots and other delicious things) and a cupcake that I found out was vegan after the fact (it was delicious). As I was sitting at one of the cozy tables, baby carriage at my side, I found myself thinking that Meme's would not be out of place in Park Slope. The vibe is nice, the cafe is beautifully designed -- fresh flowers! food served on china! nice bathrooms! cheerful staff! -- and I wish the owner much success. And perhaps the message that she might want to put a planter in front of the cafe! :)
  • Well it's been open for about 7 or 8 days so it already beats Joey's Gourmet Lunchboxx's record
  • And it also bears Kaffe JAC, which I have never, ever seen open.
  • The owner has agreed to put Brooklynian cards on her counter.image

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook