1095 Bergen to become a bar?

• 1095 Bergen, near Nostrand.   It was recently listed for sale:

At this point, it is basically a garage:

xy_14E561BE-4B59-4060-B159-C7D3AF4B8C4B_631_421 

xy_54861405-F7CE-4B65-8641-568BFCB82204_631_421

photos:   loopnet link above

However, someone would like to make it into a bar, called Bar Bertrand, complete with a Full liquor lic and a sidewalk dining/sitting.  

Please be advised that the SLA & Sidewalk Café Review Committee will meet on Monday, April 7, 2014 at 6:30 PM at CNR-Center Light Health Care Centerwhich is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places). 
  • This would be a really neat venue for what sounds like (from the name) a French-ish style bar/bistro? Maybe? Please? :)
  • If they show up on April 7th, I will let readers know if they sound like they have their act together.

• Although I've never really liked bars, I've come to enjoy the variety of places we have in our neighborhood now because I've met so many cool neighbors since they all popped up. I moved here almost 15 years ago, and for a few years it was really difficult to meet anyone, we had no coffee shops, no restaurants to speak of other than chinese/fast food, and just a few unappealing bars. So I am grateful that we have so many choices. But ANOTHER BAR?? <groan>. There are soooo many other businesses our community could benefit from. Still...having so many cool bars seems to help attract more people to a neighborhood, so maybe others will be inspired to open some new, different types of businesses here.
  • It'll be interesting to see what they do with the structure. Seems like an odd space for a sidewalk café to me, though. Not quite the corner and not even set back, like the storefronts across the street.
  • The new owners are experienced bar developers and connected with Brooklyn Flea. this will be great relaxing bar next to the garden.

This building has sat empty for about 10 years so whatever it takes to make it come alive is welcome. I heard it was last a Chinese Rest. notorious for serving up local cat meat. Before that a neighboring bank carriage house.
  • The proprietors appeared before the CB8 subcommittee on May 5, and received its support.

Tonight, they appear before the larger CB8 board, and it is expected to support the application as well.    

This place would have a total of 44 interior seats. 
  • We need one of these bars to open closer to Eastern Pkwy on/off Nostrand! This one looks like it will be about a 15 second walk to Nostrand Avenue Pub...
  • But if they are able to use that garden space...WOW! That would transform that whole block!
  • They initially requested permission to use the garden space, but then withdrew that request to prevent any potential objections.

...when their lic is up for renewal, I expect them to request support to add the garden.    This would be two years from when the SLA actually issues the initial lic. 
  • jfinks, I shudder to pass on word about this place because the garden is very popular with screaming drunks past 4am, but have you looked at The Butterfly Lounge?  I've never been there, but it sounds like everyone has a blast.  It's on St. Johns just west off Nostrand.
  • jfinks said:

We need one of these bars to open closer to Eastern Pkwy on/off Nostrand! This one looks like it will be about a 15 second walk to Nostrand Avenue Pub...

This new one will be right on Nostrand, closer to EP:
    http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38309/storefront-next-to-niahmah-on-prospectnostrand/p1

And, there is Q Bar near Syd's sandwiches.
  • whynot_31 said:

jfinks said:

This new one will be right on Nostrand, closer to EP:
    http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38309/storefront-next-to-niahmah-on-prospectnostrand/p1

And, there is Q Bar near Syd's sandwiches.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that one opening up in a month or two.
  • As means and preferences shift, so do the variety of places to drink.

There's also Butterfly Lounge.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38087/butterfly-lounge-on-826-st-johns-btwn-rogers-and-nostrand/p1
  • there will soon be this bar/restaurant in spitting distance as well, on rogers and prospect place: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38572/99-rogers-at-prospect-place/p1
  • She says it will have a view of the garden. So I guess they are putting in windows on the east wall. Nice if they serve drinks during the daylight hours. I am hoping to make this my hangout.