Crunch vs Eastern Athletic
  • I am a member of Crunch and it serves my purposes well with the exception of the late yoga classes and the lack of a pool. Thinking of joining EA on Eastern Pkwy. Would love to hear Pros/Cons as I weigh my decision.
  • Both are overpriced, but EAC is a LOT less crowded and feels less 'clubby.' EAC runs promotions every once and a while so I'd wait until one of those rolls around before switching over, if you decide to go that route.

The one downside to the EAC are due to its location in an old building it shares with a synagogue--it has old building issues (elevator and hot water sometimes don't work) and it shuts down early (5:30 pm or so) on Fridays and doesn't open until 1:30 pm or so on Saturdays.
  • I've belonged to both and I can say that I think Crunch is much better, hands down. I am able to go at off times, so I never have to deal with a crowd. But I pay $78/month at Crunch and was paying $115/month at EA and think crunch is a much better gym with better group classes.
  • Unless you like to swim. The EAC pool is a terrific option and it's usually easy to get a lane if you want to swim laps.
  • Reviving an old thread with news that Eastern will be replacing its basketball court with a space for more equipment. The basketball court at Eastern was one of the few things that I enjoyed as a member there.Eastern goes the generic route and will now be just like any other club with lots of machines, i.e. like Crunch.
  • I agree that the basketball court was one of my favorite aspects of Eastern Athletic. Kind of disappointed that I just renewed my membership now. The machines that they have aren't ever full anyways and the top floor cardio machines are almost never used. I don't understand why they would remove the basketball court.
  • The place is certainly not known for its customer service (check any list of reviews), but I would think if they're removing something they offered when you renewed, you should try to get your money back.
  • The machines on the top floor never get used because the breathing/air there is really, really bad.  Not sure what it is, but after about five minutes on a machine up there I would feel like I was going to die (no such issues on lower floor).

Anyhow, at over $100 a month, it's vastly overpriced for a place with substandard equipment, tired and perpetually grungy facilities, inconvenient hours, and an elevator that is frequently out of service.
  • novanglus said:

The machines on the top floor never get used because the breathing/air there is really, really bad.  Not sure what it is, but after about five minutes on a machine up there I would feel like I was going to die (no such issues on lower floor).

Anyhow, at over $100 a month, it's vastly overpriced for a place with substandard equipment, tired and perpetually grungy facilities, inconvenient hours, and an elevator that is frequently out of service.

I wonder if there's mold.  I was recently up on the roof of the synagogue/gym building, and I know that there are roofing issues.  Maybe that's what's causing it?

I wouldn't pay over $100/mo for membership there.  Wow, that's a pretty insane price, and I write this as someone who is a member but not a fan of, Crunch.  Maybe when EA was the only game around, but nowadays there's the Crunch on Flatbush, and another location further east.

Just as an aside, I think that since the Crunch further east in Brooklyn has opened, it's taken a huge chunk of demand off of the Flatbush Crunch.  There were times last year when I could barely move in that space, but this year, things seem pretty low-key.
  • For people over 30, EA is $125/month or $1500/year. They claim to have a three-for-two year extension program for annual members once a year, i.e. you pay $3000 for three years. With the news that they want to wipe out the basketball court with a plan to get new equipment in there, I don't think you'd want a long-term commitment to this gym.

Regarding the air on the floor with the weight room and aerobic machines, I've noticed a leak on days when there is heavy rain. There's a huge puddle in the weight room. Somehow this is less of a priority than more machines.

I would ask the manager Len to explain some of this, but he is not helpful at all. If anyone wants a lesson on how not to interact with customers, go in to EA on a day when he is working.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook