LaunchPad Changing Focus
  • I was looking to put up an art show at LaunchPad in the coming months and contacted Zane to secure a date after I noticed their website had very little going on for May (it's always booked up) and nothing on the calendar past May. Sadly the response I received was that LaunchPad are no longer doing events and will be re-purposed this summer. I asked about what the future holds but did not get a response, anyone know what is going on with the space? I'm sad it will no longer be a meeting place in the community. I went to some really good things there over the years from readings to crafting to live music to community acupuncture. 

Does anyone else have an ideas for somewhere to host a group art show as well? It could be up for as little as one night (with the day or prior night for set up).
  • Try Five Myles Gallery, on St Johns near Classon.
  • Thanks whynot, I sent them a message. A little digging found they were taking submissions in February for summer events though, but fingers crossed.

Any idea what the future holds for LaunchPad?
  • The owner, Mike K, views this place as his "gift to the community", and does not need to break even on it.

It concerns him that it is not packed or appreciated to the degree he would like.

...not sure what would make him feel he was "doing the most good"
  • Global Square, an art collective which will open on Dean Street next fall, is taking submissions now for fall shows: http://gsquare.org/futureartists

They're also giving tours of their space under construction and seem to be eager to begin using it - perhaps it's worth asking if they'd host you as a summer pop-up show, even in their half-finished space?
  • It should be interesting to see whether this new entity:

A. Impacts a bakery very close by, Lily and Fig.

B. Is open enough that it must comply with DOH regs re: venting, a commercial oven, inspections, etc.
  • Mike Fagan (whynot_31), you never cease to amaze me. Every time I am convinced you are the biggest jackass I've ever encountered, you manage to outdo yourself.

Please discontinue misquoting me and pretending that you know anything about my business or personal affairs.

-Michael Kunitzky
  • @superhero 

You may also want to try Meta Gallery:   http://www.google.com/#q=gallery+1160+St+Johns+Pl,+Brooklyn,+NY

It is located over and St. Johns and Kingston, and the owner (Ron Taylor) seems to let it out on occasion.

• I thought he was just going to use the space as a studio for his foray into documentary film-making? 

Is that incorrect, Mike K?

Could always go to Shoestring Press on Classon and Bergen. The guy in charge there, Lane Sell, I think would be happy to host an art event.

• "A rotating assortment of BK17 breads sells for $9.50 to $12.50 per loaf at Bklyn Larder on Flatbush Avenue."

Wow! What's in the dough? Gold? LOL
  • @clayfilms -

I had forgotten to update this thread afterward, but fear not:

The owner of Bk17 realized that 721 Franklin Avenue was not a good fit soon after the DNA Info article was published, and changed plans in Mid June.     

No word as what is next for the space, but it is safe to say it won't be expensive bread.

• If anyone wants extremely good fresh-baked bread, including olive breads, rye with caraway seeds, baguettes, and several other varieties, D'Vine Taste on 7th Avenue in the Slope bakes its own breads daily. I alternate between rye and olive, which cost $5.00 and $6.00 respectively.

The shop also carries any number of other delicious goodies, including various Lebanese delicacies.

So here I am, a mod, posting off-topic. If anyone objects, I'll delete my own post and slap myself on the wrist.
  • We in Crown Heights can get some pretty good bread from Compare Supermarket, or from Bread Alone at the GAP Greenmarket.

BK17 was presumably going to pay the asking price of $4k a month for the first floor:

Which, frankly, is a lot of bread.    Bakeries have a hard time paying that kind of rent, and getting all of the permits required to actually "bake" in a residential neighborhood.   Many decide to do their baking in less expensive areas of the city, and then just supply retail locations that they do not manage.

721 Franklin has a nice backyard.   I don't know that it will go to the highest bidder, but if does, it would not surprise me if the winning bidder was an entity that would make use of it. 

• whynot_31 said:

@clayfilms -

I had forgotten to update this thread afterward, but fear not:

The owner of Bk17 realized that 721 Franklin Avenue was not a good fit soon after the DNA Info article was published, and changed plans in Mid June.     

No word as what is next for the space, but it is safe to say it won't be expensive bread.

Cool. I'll miss Launchpad. Their crawfish boil back in the day was epic and I their open mic nights were always a great time. 
  • whynot_31 said:

We in Crown Heights can get some pretty good bread from Compare Supermarket, or from Bread Alone at the GAP Greenmarket.

BK17 was presumably going to pay the asking price of $4k a month for the first floor:

MET on Nostrand has started stocking bougie "Bread Alone" bread on their shelves. Good stuff but under $4 a loaf...i think
  • ---> Cool. I'll miss Launchpad. Their crawfish boil back in the day was epic and I their open mic nights were always a great time. <---<br />

I attended a few of their story nights, and liked them. The popularity of LaunchPad seemed to drop off as the area got lots of coffee shops, bars and other venues that held similar events, and as a lot of the almost-broke-artsy types were priced out.

LaunchPad seemed to cater to a shrinking market.
  • I think LaunchPad's market was and is very much still around.  I also think the idea of everything there being free was wonderful.  However, people are very busy, and free activities get brushed aside.  By the time the request for donations came it was too late.  I also think people resent being told what to donate. However, if people pay for things ahead of time they are more likely to show up to get their money's worth.  People's flaking out also made it difficult to lead groups and activities there.  If it had been set up more like Brooklyn Brainery I think it could have been more successful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook