Select Bus Service and other changes on Nostrand Jan 2013+

• Citibike receives ZERO subsidy. That was a well publicized fact when it opened. It is privately owned (with required payments to the city) and was privately funded. It is the only mode on your list that actually contributes to the cities coffers, not drains.

This is false. Citibike receives zero public subsidy. But the Citibank advertising deal subsidizes the overall operations of the program. If that deal were not in place it would be impossible for the service to operate. And if you look at what has happened with that program, the minute the announcement came out that Citibike was in fact, not as profitable as expected, the first response was discussions of ways in which the governement could step in and keep it affordable and afloat.

It's deeply subsidized by private dollars, but because that money comes above the line in a private company, its impossible to compare to other public transit options. What we can glean from this however, is that it is not the self-supporting operation that its PR staff would like you to believe, nor does it necessarily stack up favorably to other forms of publicly used transportation from a balance sheet perspective.
  • DOT recently published this snazzy video about its work maintaining the streets.

This thread seems the right place for it:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152140794327887&id=166279802886
  • DOT has been busy on the stretch of Nostrand in Bed Stuy:
    10366233_909072695784819_2240184525476184110_n
  • The building on Sterling near Nostrand is going to have big balconies, like the other Hello Living buildings.

I understand they are a "bonus area" that doesn't count toward the building's FAR, but I don't like how they look.

http://www.helloliving.com/development/hello-sterling/

I liked the rendering below more than what is actually being build.

whynot_31 said:

whynot_31 said:

The Hello Living building is now as tall as it is going to go, and they will soon close the envelope:

Construction seems to be well under way at Hello Living’s tenth development, 834 Sterling Place, between Nostrand and Rogers in Crown Heights. Developer Eli Karp started building the six-story, 46-unit development at the end of last year, and now all six stories are up. New building permits from the DOB say the building will have 40,585 square feet of residential space, 23 parking spaces behind the building, and 29 bike racks inside.

Today, I found a rendering of what it is supposed to look like when complete:

834 Sterling Place

A new ground-up construction of a 5 story Steel & Concrete on Metal Deck building with 46 luxury unit Condominiums with parking lot located at Crown Heights, Brooklyn.

Total SQ. FT. 60,305

Structure: Steel & Concrete on metal deck

Year of Completion: 2014

Project Summary: 6-stories 60,000 sq. ft 43 units Condo Building

Company name/Owner: HelloHousing

http://www.nebglassmetal.com/sub/usneb/project25.htm

Note, the design may have changed since this rendering was created.

• Long time reader, first time poster. I walked past Hello Sterling yesterday and it appears work has stopped for some time. Does anyone have an update on the progress? I would have thought they would have had the envelope sealed by now and been far along with the interior finishes. 

-Adam Dahill 
  • Welcome Adam.

I have this week off, and was able to able see workers in there today.

I also saw new trees at the SBS stop in front of Lula bagel:

• Yes, lots of new trees were planted in the area. Saw a great deal on Brooklyn Ave and they look great on Nostrand. Anything we can do to clean up the curb appeal on Nostrand is appreciated.  If only we can do something about the litter which is everywhere.
  • My hope is that as the storefronts become filled again, their occupants will sweep in front of their stores.

Tickets from the city sometimes encourage such good behavior.
  • homeowner said:

Citibike receives ZERO subsidy. That was a well publicized fact when it opened. It is privately owned (with required payments to the city) and was privately funded. It is the only mode on your list that actually contributes to the cities coffers, not drains.

This is false. Citibike receives zero public subsidy. But the Citibank advertising deal subsidizes the overall operations of the program. If that deal were not in place it would be impossible for the service to operate. And if you look at what has happened with that program, the minute the announcement came out that Citibike was in fact, not as profitable as expected, the first response was discussions of ways in which the governement could step in and keep it affordable and afloat.

It's deeply subsidized by private dollars, but because that money comes above the line in a private company, its impossible to compare to other public transit options. What we can glean from this however, is that it is not the self-supporting operation that its PR staff would like you to believe, nor does it necessarily stack up favorably to other forms of publicly used transportation from a balance sheet perspective.

I don't think anyone at Citibike was trying to mislead, Homeowner. I think we need to revisit what I am referring to as a subsidy. An investment by Citibank is not a subsidy. It was a calculated business investment to advertise as the lead sponsor. The expect a return on this money and it costs the taxpayer zero dollars.
    Put in another way, the MTA sells advertisements on the subway, this is not a subsidy, but a revenue item, similar to fares. Even with this, the subway requires public subsidies.
    So let me be more specific. Citibike requires zero public subsidy from the tax payer. This is something that no other form of public transportation can claim.
  • I'll accept your position that advertising dollars are not a subsidy, if you accept the fact that the what the current operation shows is that Citibike's current business model is both flawed and unsustainable. Citibike is not making money and the current two options being discussed are 1) a significant fare increase to cover operating losses or 2) a public subsidy to offset operating losses. Its great to claim no subsidy is required, but then I think you have to also acknowledge that the business model doesn't work and is unlikely to work over time (there isn't going to be a slowly increasing usage pattern) and that any changes will likely result in either another form of public transportation that is so costly as to be available only to a limited population (like ferry service in NYC) or the program receiving a subsidy in order to have it continue to operate.
  • I'll accept your position that advertising dollars are not a subsidy, if you accept the fact that the what the current operation shows is that Citibike's current business model is both flawed and unsustainable. Citibike is not making money and the current two options being discussed are 1) a significant fare increase to cover operating losses or 2) a public subsidy to offset operating losses. Its great to claim no subsidy is required, but then I think you have to also acknowledge that the business model doesn't work and is unlikely to work over time (there isn't going to be a slowly increasing usage pattern) and that any changes will likely result in either another form of public transportation that is so costly as to be available only to a limited population (like ferry service in NYC) or the program receiving a subsidy in order to have it continue to operate.

Um, you might want to include a third option. 3) additional private investment. 

• While I wouldn't call it a "subsidy", Citibike does receive free spaces throughout the city for its docks.

This means that if they ever were to actually make money (and/or its execs were to be paid a really good salary), portions of the public would be upset.

....or at least jealous.
  • The "West Indian Market" on Nostrand between Eastern Parkway and Lincoln place is being torn down right now.  There seems to be a fire sale on whatever fresh veggies are left.  
  • Wait, the triple s???? Oh no! I loved that place!
  • The fact that today is not the end of a month makes me hopeful that this is the same proprietors reinventing their business, rather than being merely priced out.

I haven't been in there often, but are the owners are Asian, perhaps Korean?

That is a big, sought after space.
  • I don't know if it's called the Triple S, we just called it the West Indian Asian market on This side of Eastern Parkway.  I wish we had known it's actual name, that would have saved some time.  I too thought the owners might be Korean.  He didn't seem all that depressed, but I don't know any details.  This winter they stopped being 24 hours.  I don't know how that factored in to the decision.  Also recently the Met Foods started closing later. 

It is a nice big space.
  • It was called Triple S.   It is likely worthy of its own thread.

Few things, after all, are not.

• What is interesting to me is that it seems like building owners/landlords are driving different dynamics onto Nostrand.

For example, the former Beauty World building had/has 3 storefronts available: the original Beauty World, a former nail salon, and a barbershop. The landlord has clearly rented out to higher paying tenants, and Beauty World will be a de Zayas bar/cafe, the nail salon was replaced by a hair salon for hipsters, and the former barbershop space is now up for lease. The barbershop, interestingly, re-located right across the street, with signage related to a sneaker store.

So, one landlord/building owner is going all-out "new" Nostranders -- and another landlord/building owner is taking in or recruiting traditional but upscaled businesses for "old" Nostranders. Just an observation, at this time...
  • I suspect the PSF rates are pretty similar, and suspect that Nostrand will begin to serve not only new residents, but the pent up demand of long term, home owning, middle class residents who shopped elsewhere because the avenue offered them very little.

Sneakers might appeal to both groups.

Upscale barbers might appeal to the latter group.
  • Unacceptable. Not one working ticket machine at Fulton & Nostrand. Not one!!

• Tragic SBS accident today. Despite the fact the article says Fulton and Bedford, my sib posted on FB about walking past the scene immediately after the accident. According to that post it took place on Bedford between Halsey and Hancock.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/woman-crushed-bus-retrieve-phone-article-1.1943178
  • I'm always amazed at people who jump on to tracks to get their cellphones. I guess some people do the same with busses too. Honestly why didn't she get the drivers attention? Also would it have been possible for the driver to see her had he checked her mirrors?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook