Operation Impact to Return to Crown Heights
  • I'm all for more police protection in CH, but "Operation Impact" rises to the level of true stupidity when FOUR officers spend their time writing summonses for stuff like walking a dog without a license (happened to me last week). I don't think this was the "impact" folks had in mind! I'm not complaining about the ticket - I didn't have the dog's license on at the time, so shame on me. But these guys are wasting everyone's time by spending their time on petty stuff like this. How about solving some REAL crimes?!
  • Its called the "Broken Windows" Theory, address the little stuff and it Impacts the larger issues in the Community. I'm curious, what made the Cops even stop you in the first place. I don't know of any pet checkpoints. I can't see Police Officers stopping a Law Abiding dog walker, and demanding a license.
  • I like the new rookie cops. They seem to make a real effort and most certainly make me feel safer walking home at night.

I know they are underpaid, but crying doesn't help. They knew what the deal was and they chose to do it regardless, so please stop crying now. There certainly are non-monetary benefits to being a cop. I just hope it all works out for them and that they really do make a difference here, God knows we need it.
  • Athenee wrote: I like the new rookie cops. They seem to make a real effort and most certainly make me feel safer walking home at night.

I know they are underpaid, but crying doesn't help. They knew what the deal was and they chose to do it regardless, so please stop crying now. There certainly are non-monetary benefits to being a cop. I just hope it all works out for them and that they really do make a difference here, God knows we need it.

Stating the opinion that cops should be paid more is "crying"? Please. Don't be so insulting.
  • Thanks apollonia! I don't think Cops are "crying" either, just trying to make an honest living while trying to support their family. It's kind of strange that garbage men in the City make more then Police Officers, don't you think? Cops don't take the job to get rich, but they should be able to atleast provide for themselves. Do you think theres a correlation between the low wages and the recent uptick of Police Corruption cases?
  • i say hi to the new cops every day while walking my dog w/o her license and nothing's happened so far...
  • "I'm curious, what made the Cops even stop you in the first place. I don't know of any pet checkpoints. I can't see Police Officers stopping a Law Abiding dog walker, and demanding a license."

I was walking down Albany Ave., one block from the home I own. I crossed to the East side of the street to walk across the Albany Houses parking lot and into the park at Troy Avenue, where I've walked my dog countless evenings. As I crossed, four cops were standing with another guy, 20-something, who was just standing there. I walked by with my dog, and one of the cops said, "Excuse me, is that your dog?" I said "Yes." He said "Does he have a license?" I said, "Yes, but it's in my house." He said, "Do you have identification?" I said "Yes" and gave him my driver's license. He just walked back to his patrol car. I turned to the other guy standing there and asked him what was going on. As it turned out, HE was also being given a ticket for not having a license on his dog. But the thing was, he didn't HAVE a dog with him! He was complaining becase apparently, before I arrived, the cops saw him walking with some other guys and a dog, and wanted to question him (or them). The cops apparently let the other guys AND the dog go, and detained this dude to give him a ticket for an UNLICENSED DOG! One of the cops said to him, "See, we're being fair. We're giving him (meaning me) a ticket for the same thing we're giving you one for." The guy and I commented to each other how silly the whole thing was. Mind you, I didn't see ANY of the previous events occur. I simply crossed the street with my dog, walked past the cops, and got stopped. The cops gave us both tickets. I just took mine and walked away to walk my dog. The other guy was still complaining, and one of the cops muttered something about his "attitude." That was it.
  • Get this: I was getting huge last week at the gym. This copper just walks in as I'm benching like 320. He says to me "Excuse me sir, do you have a license for those?" I flexed my biceps, ripping my skin tight tank top. "Oh these ol' things? I didn't know I needed to register them." Cop gave me a summons for failing to register a lethal weapon.

Operation Impact has gone too far. :wink:
  • scooterjackson5 wrote: Get this: I was getting huge last week at the gym. This copper just walks in as I'm benching like 320. He says to me "Excuse me sir, do you have a license for those?" I flexed my biceps, ripping my skin tight tank top. "Oh these ol' things? I didn't know I needed to register them." Cop gave me a summons for failing to register a lethal weapon.

That was a good one! :)
  • Subject: Fred and Ginger

A few years ago, during a previous Operation Impact, I was walking down Nostrand Ave. on a hot Summer afternoon, drinking a D&G Jamaican Ginger Beer. A marked police van stopped in the crosswalk I was about to enter, blocking my way, and two cops got out. Since there was a brown paper bag around the bottle, and since the bottle was brown, they were convinced I was in possession of an open alcoholic beverage. This belief was strengthened when I showed them that it was D&G Jamaican Ginger Beer. "See, I knew it was beer!" one of them said.

Later I used to think of these two cops as Fred and Ginger.
  • scooterjackson5 wrote: Get this: I was getting huge last week at the gym. This copper just walks in as I'm benching like 320. He says to me "Excuse me sir, do you have a license for those?" I flexed my biceps, ripping my skin tight tank top. "Oh these ol' things? I didn't know I needed to register them." Cop gave me a summons for failing to register a lethal weapon.

Do you have your tickets to the gun show?
  • Oh dear Lord. I'm all for more cops, but not the silliness. The Broken Windows theory makes sense when you're talking about turnstile jumping or graffitti, but ticketing someone who doesn't own a dog for an unlicensed dog? That's ridiculous. That guy had a right to complain, but he was wasting his breath on the two morons who ticketed him.
  • "It's kind of strange that garbage men in the City make more then Police Officers, don't you think?"

It's not so strange. Sure, I would think cops would make more than garbagemen and -women, but for one, sanitation removal is an important job. You'll find out how important if there's ever another strike (and I was here for the last one, in the 1970s). Secondly, the Sanitation union leaders obviously did a better job of forging a contract than the PBA did. It's not so strange.
  • lilbangladesh wrote: Oh dear Lord. I'm all for more cops, but not the silliness. The Broken Windows theory makes sense when you're talking about turnstile jumping or graffitti, but ticketing someone who doesn't own a dog for an unlicensed dog? That's ridiculous. That guy had a right to complain, but he was wasting his breath on the two morons who ticketed him.

Sometimes they also want an opportunity to run someone's ID to make sure there are no outstanding warrants on them. So an unlicensed dog, open container, or even jay walking can be used to stop someone, run a quick check and then either ticket them or let them go. I think a lot of these tickets get thrown out by the judge anyway or entail a small fine.
  • "Sometimes they also want an opportunity to run someone's ID to make sure there are no outstanding warrants on them. So an unlicensed dog, open container, or even jay walking can be used to stop someone, run a quick check and then either ticket them or let them go. I think a lot of these tickets get thrown out by the judge anyway or entail a small fine."

Exactly. I think that's what was happening here (I'm the dog walker who got the ticket). It seemed pretty clear the cops were MOST interested in "checking out" the other guy who didn't have a dog. As a result, I'll have to waste a day going down to court to (probably) watch the thing get thrown out, thereby wasting my time and everyone else's. It's not the worst thing that ever happened, but it sure as hell is pretty ridiculous. Some "impact."
  • Ben wrote: I think a lot of these tickets get thrown out by the judge anyway or entail a small fine.

I would argue that making someone take time off work to go to court is a punishment right there. Most people I know who have gotten bogus tickets of various sorts end up paying them, as it is easier/cheaper than going to court when you figure in lost income, the hassle, etc.
  • What kills me is that all of the things that some of you people are complaining about are things that are on the books. They are illegal so you are supposed to be stopped and given a summons. Its not new. They just have been to lenient over the years so when it actually happens we are surprised. Don't walk your dog without a licence, Don't drink in the street, Don't smoke weed in public, This is what the community asked for and this is what you got. There were people complaining about the dogs in CH so now look, they are stopping people with dogs. When you complain about the drug dealers they investigate them and try and put them in jail but when its your son, daughter, nephew, niece or relative the law is not suppose to apply to you. I think I've made my point. Its always the cops are harassing us. NO we do stupid things and the cops have the right to stop us when they see us doing stupid things. I'm tired of all you boys and girls who keep crying wolf. Do the right thing and you won't get into trouble. If there were no cops then where would we be. OH PLEASE PEOPLE.
  • sorry kwac, there is no "correlation between the low wages and the recent uptick of Police Corruption cases?"

please read up on the wall st journal. white collar crime happens everyday and these people make millions upon millions.

just ask any employee of merrill lynch or citigroup, where stanley o'neal and chuck prince raped and pillaged the company, made off with exit packages of about $160mm and $30mm apiece and left the company in financial ruin.

now hard working employees who have nowhere near the financial means as o'neal/prince find themselves out of jobs and foreclosing on their homes.
  • Anonymous wrote: What kills me is that all of the things that some of you people are complaining about are things that are on the books. They are illegal so you are supposed to be stopped and given a summons. Its not new. They just have been to lenient over the years so when it actually happens we are surprised. Don't walk your dog without a licence, Don't drink in the street, Don't smoke weed in public, This is what the community asked for and this is what you got. There were people complaining about the dogs in CH so now look, they are stopping people with dogs. When you complain about the drug dealers they investigate them and try and put them in jail but when its your son, daughter, nephew, niece or relative the law is not suppose to apply to you. I think I've made my point. Its always the cops are harassing us. NO we do stupid things and the cops have the right to stop us when they see us doing stupid things. I'm tired of all you boys and girls who keep crying wolf. Do the right thing and you won't get into trouble. If there were no cops then where would we be. OH PLEASE PEOPLE.

Read for content. Not only was the OP ticketed (ok, so he should have had a license on him; but wait, shouldn't the license be on the dog collar? I don't own a dog so I'm confused) but another person was ALSO ticketed WHO DIDN'T OWN A DOG and was only walking with someone who had a dog. The dog walker was let go but HE, the NON-DOG OWNER was ticketed. How stupid is that?

It's one thing for the police to ticket us when we're being stupid, but it's overkill entirely when the police start being stupid and ticket us for crimes we haven't committed. This is the sort of harassment that people were concerned about when Operation Impact started, but we had been crossing our fingers and hoping for the best.
  • Anonymous wrote:
    Exactly. I think that's what was happening here (I'm the dog walker who got the ticket). It seemed pretty clear the cops were MOST interested in "checking out" the other guy who didn't have a dog. As a result, I'll have to waste a day going down to court to (probably) watch the thing get thrown out, thereby wasting my time and everyone else's. It's not the worst thing that ever happened, but it sure as hell is pretty ridiculous. Some "impact."

MOD NOTE: Hey guest poster/dog walker/ticket recipient:
    :D
    Can you register an account so I can PM you? I had an enquiry about your story and don't know where to send it . . .
    THX
  • I am not sure that a police officer should make more money than a garbage man. Rookie cops are underpaid, yes, but they chose the job regardless, so my assumption is that if the job creates financial hardship they would not have chosen it in the first place based on financial calculations. Once they have been on the job for a while, they earn a lot more: One of my friends is a commanding officer and he makes around 140, my other friend a sergeant who makes around 90. Thats good money!
    Having said that, even on Wall Street a lot of people start out with a low salary, and their jobs have no deeper meaning at all. I, for once, make good money in my industry, but I am left working much longer hours than most other people and my job has no soul. There is no satisfaction on a deep and meaningful level in what I do. In my job, I have never rescued someone, helped someone, been there for someone who was in distress or saved somebody's live. I envy those new cops, because unlike me, they can make a real difference and that's a lot to be proud of.
  • i can't stand cops, but they're definitely underpaid. besides the magnetism of a culture of bullyhood, that's one of the reasons we find so many unprofessional meatheads in the force.

does anyone think the "broken window" theory holds too much weight? if you go to many international cities, the walls are covered with graffiti and people drink in the streets. shit, soho has a lot more graf than franklin ave.
  • Just a couple FYIs/BTWs...

The crow's nest thingy is back on Nostrand down near Secrets.

In the early evening (before 8pm) there are cops EVERYWHERE on Nostrand north of Eastern.

They seem to be pushing the broken windows thing. I see a lot of stop & check things. I've also seen considerable pushing on things like double parking, which seems to take people a bit by surprise, seeing as that it is practically a national pastime on Nostrand, haha.

Anyway, carry on.

Oh and just a couple things tossing around in my head regarding police salaries. My opinion is that they start too low and should be raised. Period.

I don't like the arguments about them having to buy equipment and uniforms. Many professions have to do this, the police are not unique, and even get off lightly compared to some. I've buddies who are mechanics, and the amount of money they've had to spend on tools is unbelieveable, over $10k. Ditto for a guy I know who is a painter, and one that does flooring. It is just a requirement of the job.

I also don't like the argument that they don't always get free transit. I've NEVER gotten free transit to and from work, and that argument just doesn't cut it with me. Getting to and from work is a requirement of any job, and it is just something you have to do. If a cop can get it for free, then that is great and I would support that. If he can't and has to pay like the rest of us, then I'm not going to play the violin for him on that one.

Finally, I shudder when I think about paying some of the cops I have met more. But I also recognize that if we want to attract and employ the kind of cops I would *like* to see, the initial salary has absolutely GOT to come up.
  • i've seen foot patrols on classon. has the zone expanded?
  • mr. met wrote: i've seen foot patrols on classon. has the zone expanded?

No. The footposts on Franklin will cover Classon just as the posts on Nostrand will cover New York.
  • Anonymous wrote: "I'm curious, what made the Cops even stop you in the first place. I don't know of any pet checkpoints. I can't see Police Officers stopping a Law Abiding dog walker, and demanding a license."

I was walking down Albany Ave., one block from the home I own. I crossed to the East side of the street to walk across the Albany Houses parking lot and into the park at Troy Avenue, where I've walked my dog countless evenings. As I crossed, four cops were standing with another guy, 20-something, who was just standing there. I walked by with my dog, and one of the cops said, "Excuse me, is that your dog?" I said "Yes." He said "Does he have a license?" I said, "Yes, but it's in my house." He said, "Do you have identification?" I said "Yes" and gave him my driver's license. He just walked back to his patrol car. I turned to the other guy standing there and asked him what was going on. As it turned out, HE was also being given a ticket for not having a license on his dog. But the thing was, he didn't HAVE a dog with him! He was complaining becase apparently, before I arrived, the cops saw him walking with some other guys and a dog, and wanted to question him (or them). The cops apparently let the other guys AND the dog go, and detained this dude to give him a ticket for an UNLICENSED DOG! One of the cops said to him, "See, we're being fair. We're giving him (meaning me) a ticket for the same thing we're giving you one for." The guy and I commented to each other how silly the whole thing was. Mind you, I didn't see ANY of the previous events occur. I simply crossed the street with my dog, walked past the cops, and got stopped. The cops gave us both tickets. I just took mine and walked away to walk my dog. The other guy was still complaining, and one of the cops muttered something about his "attitude." That was it.

It warms my heart to know that cops are out there fighting crime! Damned dog walkers!
  • Athenee wrote: I like the new rookie cops. They seem to make a real effort and most certainly make me feel safer walking home at night.

They should be paid a living wage.

When you take into account the cost of living in the New York area, NYC cops are lower paid than most cops in the USA...before overtime. NYC cops put in more overtime than the cops in Mayberry so they may come out ahead.
  • Yesterday afternoon on Nostrand between Lincoln and St. John's Place, there was a slew of cops. So far as I could see, only one guy was being arrested, and that arrest was as quiet and calm as could be with no resistance on the arrestee's part. Twenty cops to arrest one guy seemed a tad overkill to me.
  • Is there anything you don't have a comment on?
  • lilbangladesh wrote: Yesterday afternoon on Nostrand between Lincoln and St. John's Place, there was a slew of cops. So far as I could see, only one guy was being arrested, and that arrest was as quiet and calm as could be with no resistance on the arrestee's part. Twenty cops to arrest one guy seemed a tad overkill to me.

Why do you care?

The cop probably put over the radio that had an arrest and requested an a car for transport and a supervisor. The radio for the 77/79 is very busy and it's not always possible or neccesary for every footpost to transmit what they are doing so you end up with extra cops going over there. A police presence is not only to affect an arrest but also to ensure officer safety. Nostrand Ave is a busy street with alot of big mouth street lawyers who think they need to get involved in every arrest that is made. There are also people who believe or not just don't like the cops and throw shit out of windows or from the roofs above.

I highly doubt there were even that many cops there. You remind me of the Dane Cook bit about when there are "a thousand fireman here".
  • Anonymous wrote: I'm all for more police protection in CH, but "Operation Impact" rises to the level of true stupidity when FOUR officers spend their time writing summonses for stuff like walking a dog without a license (happened to me last week). I don't think this was the "impact" folks had in mind! I'm not complaining about the ticket - I didn't have the dog's license on at the time, so shame on me. But these guys are wasting everyone's time by spending their time on petty stuff like this. How about solving some REAL crimes?!

the dog license check isn't really a new thing - you probably have just gotten lucky in the past. happens a lot in redhook and midtown - from what i know, so probably other places, too. sorry!
  • I can understand, say, a group of five or six cops making an arrest. But there were ten cars and twenty cops. I actually counted because the scene looked really bizarre to me. It took me a while to even figure out what it was about until I found the one guy that was under arrest. The guy being arrested was very calm and not resisting, though he did have a "WTF? Why are there twenty cops arresting me?" look on his face.
  • Maybe he was Wanted for Murder, did you ever think about that? You always have a negative comment on everything. Instead, why not try being thankful that theres men and women out there working hard to protect you and other members of the community. You must be a real miserable person!
  • It wasn't a negative comment. It was _a_ comment. I just mentioned it because it looked weird to have so many cops arrest one calm and non-resisting person. AND I figured that one of y'all might have an explanation for the weirdness.

Silly me to expect that you wouldn't jump down my throat for it.
  • He was calm and compliant because he was surrounded by twenty cops after the first four cops chased the guy all the way down Nostrand Ave for a robbery. They put a foot pursuit over the radio and cars starting racing to get there. During the chase he attempted to discard a loaded .45 that was recovered by the pursuing officers.

He has since been identified by six robbery victims.
  • ParadeRest wrote: He was calm and compliant because he was surrounded by twenty cops after the first four cops chased the guy all the way down Nostrand Ave for a robbery. They put a foot pursuit over the radio and cars starting racing to get there. During the chase he attempted to discard a loaded .45 that was recovered by the pursuing officers.

He has since been identified by six robbery victims.

Thanks for the details, ParadeRest. Sounds like a smart way to do it - overwhelm him with numbers so he doesn't resist and no gets hurt. I'm glad he was caught!
  • I think this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't. What happened to the "Where are the cops?" posts of yesteryear? I guess I could always use the search.

It does seem like a bit silly scene to come upon, but I for one would much rather have too many than not enough. Although I do find myself shaking my head a bit when I walk out and see SEVEN officers in the half block between my house and Ital Shak. But hey, whatever. If that is what it takes, then that is what it takes. I'd rather have seven cops there than one mugging.

I think.
  • Another thought on the dog license patrol...
    When I lived in the 79 and we got impact officers, one stopped me and asked if I had a dog license. I did, but it wasn't on her collar. He warned me that officers would be asking for them. My guess is that they're trying to crack down on people who illegally breed and/or fight pit bulls. Not long after I was stopped, some neighbors of mine had a pit bull fall into their yard from the roof of an abandoned building behind their house. It was severely injured and nearly missed their young son. The guy that arrived at their door to claim the dog was so scarily hostile that they were terrified to report him. Obviously, he knew where they lived. Apparently he was breeding dogs in the building and feeding them on the roof. So, yeah, it might seem like a nuisance, but there's a reason for requiring dogs to be licensed. And hey, if they only stopped people walking pit bulls, lord knows what kind of an outcry there would be.
  • Yeah keep shaking your head Daver. If it wasn't for the Police, you and Bangledesh would not be living the "HOOD". There were very few Pioneers back in the early 90's, and the few that did move into the hood, didn't last very long. I'd love to see the both of you holding hands, strolling down Nostrand ave 10 Years ago!
  • King without a crown wrote: Yeah keep shaking your head Daver. If it wasn't for the Police, you and Bangledesh would not be living the "HOOD". There were very few Pioneers back in the early 90's, and the few that did move into the hood, didn't last very long. I'd love to see the both of you holding hands, strolling down Nostrand ave 10 Years ago!

You are a very angry person. And your reading comprehension skills seem to be lacking.
  • King without a crown wrote: Yeah keep shaking your head Daver. If it wasn't for the Police, you and Bangledesh would not be living the "HOOD". There were very few Pioneers back in the early 90's, and the few that did move into the hood, didn't last very long. I'd love to see the both of you holding hands, strolling down Nostrand ave 10 Years ago!

This is the second time that I've posted this today:

Huh?

Seriously, Huh?
  • I find it interesting that after reading 100's of "mugging threads" in the past few months, that some people on this board, have now decided to complain that theres too many Cops. Now, when the Police lock up these criminals, members of the Community have somehow found fault in which the Police handle these situations.
    By the same token, most of the Precincts in the City are shorthanded for several reasons already discussed on this board. If you happen to live in a Precinct that is benefitting from Operation Impact, why not support your Cops? The 77 pct had one of the largest increases in overall Crime City Wide. So while some may shake their head at what seems to be an over response to the Crime wave, there are still several Communities in the City, that are suffering with minimal manpower and no extra Cops in site.
  • dude, KWAC,

DAVER AGREES WITH YOU.

(and i agree with him.)
  • "I do find myself shaking my head a bit when I walk out and see SEVEN officers in the half block between my house"

That doesn't sound like agreement to me
  • King without a crown wrote: "I do find myself shaking my head a bit when I walk out and see SEVEN officers in the half block between my house"

That doesn't sound like agreement to me

did you read the whole post? He said exactly the same thing that you did.
  • Personally, I would love to see seven cops between my house and Brower Park, or my house and anywhere that I regularly walk. Send 'em on east if they're such a hassle.
  • Oh shoot, I didn't mean to misinterpret Daver's post-- I realize he wasn't saying they are a hassle. I have been walking up and down Nostrand Avenue now for eight years. It's not a pretty street, but I've never personally encountered any problems. However, I see pretty open, brazen gang related stuff near my house a lot these days. I would like nothing better than a regular post at the corner of Bergen and Kingston, or on my block, or even at one of the entrances to the park. I was one of the people crying out for better police response and more police in general. Now we've got them. It's a little disheartening to see them criticized for actually carrying out their jobs.
    Hmmm...maybe there should be some happy medium in between operation impact and an understaffed department.
    Oh right! A vital, well-paid, well-trained police force! Imagine--then the rookies could be spread throughout the city and partnered with experienced officers. They could spend a good amount of time getting to know a neighborhood, instead of being dropped into one en masse with the knowledge that their assignment will be over in six months. Ah, but I do digress and begin to repeat points already made (I think even by me) in the earlier pages of this and other threads. Sorry.
    Unless it's actual police brutality you're witnessing, I don't see the point in criticizing.
  • Agreed. Crybabies.
  • He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar...
  • Who, Don Knotts?
  • Why are you guys so annoyed by too many cops? I don't get it. I personally feel more than anything SAFE when I see a police officer in this neighborhood.
  • Actually, we're all agreeing that we don't see the need to complain about the added police presence.

Little Red Menace-- thanks for making me guffaw out loud. :lol:
  • LittleRedMenace wrote: Who, Don Knotts?

No!!! KWAC is! Forget it, the moment is gone.
  • You're a pretty funny guy Mr. Rest!!!
  • Geesh, does ANYONE read for contact anymore? I wasn't complaining. I'm happy to see the police presence on Nostrand (did people totally miss the complimentary post I made about the police on another thread or do they, like KWAC, assume what I was actually going to post instead of reading it?) and even like that I've seen them on my street. I was just commenting on a situation that looked really odd to me and posted for an explanation. Which was quite adequately answered by ParadeRest once he stopped being snotty.
  • lilbangladesh wrote: Geesh, does ANYONE read for contact anymore?
    No, but I do read for content.

lilbangladesh wrote: I was just commenting on a situation that looked really odd to me and posted for an explanation. Which was quite adequately answered by ParadeRest once he stopped being snotty.

When was I snotty? I give to you the same advice I give to people who don't like sex and violence on the t.v...If you don't like it don't watch it and in this case if you don't like my posts then don't read them. It's pretty simple. If you see a little picture of Barney Fife then just close your eyes and scroll down the page a little that way you can avoid all snotty comments I send your way.
  • lilbangladesh wrote: Geesh, does ANYONE read for contact anymore? I wasn't complaining. I'm happy to see the police presence on Nostrand (did people totally miss the complimentary post I made about the police on another thread or do they, like KWAC, assume what I was actually going to post instead of reading it?) and even like that I've seen them on my street. I was just commenting on a situation that looked really odd to me and posted for an explanation. Which was quite adequately answered by ParadeRest once he stopped being snotty.

Lilbangladesh, I have followed this thread from the beginning, and I don't know what you want to accomplish with this post.

Even if your original post about the 20 cops was not meant to sound like a complaint, I'm afraid that's what I took away from it. Your next post on the topic came off as though you were defending your criticism of the police rather than clarifying that you were merely surprised and inquisitive. (OTOH, you were responding to KWAC, and I know you guys have a history, so I can understand if you were more heated than you meant to be.)

My point is, many of us do look at the context of your posts and still find that the emotions we took from them are not, apparently, what you intended. Sometimes your posts read as if you are angry or annoyed or even attacking other posters. This may not be your intention, but if someone misreads you and responds accordingly, maybe you should give them the benefit of the doubt and explain your original meaning, rather than assuming they're just being snotty.
  • You're spot on. That's the beauty of the internet. You can't tell what I actually intend, so you assume. Emoticons don't do the job.

I apologize, ParadeRest, for calling you snotty.

And I wasn't complaining. I had never seen such an absurd scene (to my eyes) and I was wondering why it would play like that. Otherwise, I have no issue with the cops on Nostrand. These poor buggers deserve a break because they're rookies.
  • Ok, just because you've never seen something, doesn't necessarily make something "absurd". That scene you witnessed, happens to take place every day in the City, you just happen to live in one of the more violent neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Therefore, you're going see people chase Robbers while in their pajamas, you will see Domestic Violence in your building and you will see Cops arresting violent felons. So you better get used it! Your disingenuous apologies on this board I find to be quite nauseating, and refering grown Men and Women who risk their lives day in and day out to "POOR BUGGERS" is also quite offensive! Maybe it's time for a voluntary "Time Out" from this Board, as your sentiment doesn't seem to be appreciated here!
  • lilbangladesh wrote: You're spot on. That's the beauty of the internet. You can't tell what I actually intend, so you assume. Emoticons don't do the job.

I apologize, ParadeRest, for calling you snotty.

And I wasn't complaining. I had never seen such an absurd scene (to my eyes) and I was wondering why it would play like that. Otherwise, I have no issue with the cops on Nostrand. These poor buggers deserve a break because they're rookies.

You do appear to rub people the wrong way and have a knack for saying the wrong thing. Even though I "get" you, I suspect that I'm rare. You may want to take think twice before pressing the submit button.
  • You're probably right, filmlover.

Unfortunately, there seems to be nothing I could say that won't set KWAC off. He takes offense at everything I say, no matter what it is. This is a guy who yells at me when I say something POSITIVE about cops and even when I'm agreeing with him.

Just look at the source, is all I ask.
  • King without a crown wrote: Ok, just because you've never seen something, doesn't necessarily make something "absurd". That scene you witnessed, happens to take place every day in the City, you just happen to live in one of the more violent neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Therefore, you're going see people chase Robbers while in their pajamas, you will see Domestic Violence in your building and you will see Cops arresting violent felons. So you better get used it! Your disingenuous apologies on this board I find to be quite nauseating, and refering grown Men and Women who risk their lives day in and day out to "POOR BUGGERS" is also quite offensive! Maybe it's time for a voluntary "Time Out" from this Board, as your sentiment doesn't seem to be appreciated here!

Hey Pot! The Kettle is calling!
  • I think the "Time Out" will be perfect for you two. You guys can renew your wedding vows, and reminisce about the good ole days growing up in Martinsville.
  • King without a crown wrote: I think the "Time Out" will be perfect for you two. You guys can renew your wedding vows, and reminisce about the good ole days growing up in Martinsville.

• What a bunch of babies! There have always been criminals, and there will always be crime (and police). You people are obsessed with it. At least KWAC and ParadeRest have excuses - they're cops, it's their life! The rest of you really need to move on.
  • Anonymous wrote: What a bunch of babies! There have always been criminals, and there will always be crime (and police). You people are obsessed with it. At least KWAC and ParadeRest have excuses - they're cops, it's their life! The rest of you really need to move on.

Actually KWAC is a cop groupie. And I totally agree, the moving on/ignoring it method has _always_ worked so well for crime in the past.
  • daver wrote: [quote=Anonymous]What a bunch of babies! There have always been criminals, and there will always be crime (and police). You people are obsessed with it. At least KWAC and ParadeRest have excuses - they're cops, it's their life! The rest of you really need to move on.

Actually KWAC is a cop groupie. And I totally agree, the moving on/ignoring it method has _always_ worked so well for crime in the past.

No, not a "groupie". I know this to be a fact. KWAC is indeed a cop.
  • ParadeRest wrote: [quote=daver][quote=Anonymous]What a bunch of babies! There have always been criminals, and there will always be crime (and police). You people are obsessed with it. At least KWAC and ParadeRest have excuses - they're cops, it's their life! The rest of you really need to move on.

No, not a "groupie". I know this to be a fact. KWAC is indeed a cop.
    Cool. I always wondered since he seemed to be in a neither deny nor confirm mode, and figured that would out him. I might not always agree with you guys, but I certainly respect your service in the community, so thanks!
  • this thread has taken some interesting twists & turns
    but to bring it back to the original topic for a moment...

at the 77th precinct council tonight, Cosgrove gave figures citing the success so far of Operation Impact.

sorry, i didn't take notes but the gist of it was that perpetrators are being apprehended (many with prior records), guns are being confiscated (one incident: a 14 yr old & a 15 yr old, both armed on nostrand at 1:30 am) and the feeling at the precinct is that the program is having its desired effect.

Cosgrove mentioned 2 things that the community can do to help.

the first is, if you are a victim of a crime, report it and if you report it be willing to assist in id-ing your attacker if they are apprehended. it can be (admittedly) a tiresome chore but it is essential to getting these people off the streets and keeping them from victimizing someone else. policing can only do so much, without the community's support the system will break down.

the second is... the community's support. if you like what you see, take a moment to say something; drop a line to commissioner kelly, mayor bloomberg, etc. and let them know that operation impact is appreciated and working. again it's up to us to make things happen.

and
    Cosgrove will be at the next Crow Hill Association meeting:
    Tuesday 2/19
    7:30 PM
    Haitian-American Daycare Center
    1491 Bedford Ave
    (at Bedford & St. John's)
    if you have issues, questions or just want to say thanks,
    come on by
  • Thanks for "outting" me! Now when are you and Bangledesh going to come out of the closet with your online romance that has recently blossomed?
  • It doesn't take a sherlock holmes to realize that "newbie" and "bugger" cops make a difference. Keep the peace and let us know how we can bring these swines to sweet justice. For real!
  • If I might put on my mod pants for a moment: I think the stuff about not assuming the worst when someone questions something you post is *wonderful* advice. And everyone PLEASE remember to keep it nice.

Oh, and it's not a good idea to post personal details about other users, like what they do for a living or who their secret lover is (:)) without knowing for sure that it's okay with that person that you do so, okay? It seems like it wasn't that big of a deal to KWAC here (King, correct me if I'm wrong) but you never know how someone's going to feel about or how they might stand to be impacted by having identifying or personal info posted by others.
  • King without a crown wrote: Thanks for "outting" me! Now when are you and Bangledesh going to come out of the closet with your online romance that has recently blossomed?

Yer a funny guy. I'm still playing your song on my tiny violin.

For the record, I didn't "out" or post personal details about anybody, I just manipulated the situation a tad to induce an outing by someone else. If you truly wanted to stay hidden in the I-can-neither-deny-nor-confirm mode, I apologize for inducing.

Oh wait, you must be talking about ParadeRest's secret online romance... OK, carry on then.
  • apollonia666 wrote: If I might put on my mod pants for a moment: I think the stuff about not assuming the worst when someone questions something you post is *wonderful* advice. And everyone PLEASE remember to keep it nice.

Oh, and it's not a good idea to post personal details about other users, like what they do for a living or who their secret lover is (:)) without knowing for sure that it's okay with that person that you do so, okay? It seems like it wasn't that big of a deal to KWAC here (King, correct me if I'm wrong) but you never know how someone's going to feel about or how they might stand to be impacted by having identifying or personal info posted by others.

So I probably shouldn't reveal that daver is NOT really made out of Legos.

Ooops! :wink:
  • Um, so, just bring up that nearly lost point...
    Has anyone else noticed better patrolling in the precinct in general? It's a totally subjective observation, but it seems like I see more patrol cars and police on foot more often over here in the east side of the precinct. I'm guessing this is because the presence of the impact officers in the heart of the precinct frees up the regular patrols. Even though it sounds like Underhill and Washington could really use some uniforms on foot, it also sounds like the 77 has been responding to muggings super fast, and even managing to apprehend some of the perpetrators. Big ups.
  • patrol car parked on prospect, by the shuttle station when i got home around 10:30 monday night. pair of cops (on foot) on Franklin south of EP when i was walking home from a friend's around 11 last night.

glad to see them.
  • In general, I am definitely seeing more patrolling. Although presence has been heavy from time to time on Nostrand in the year I've been here anyhow. But I'm more regularly seeing many patrol cars, and cops on foot. It is rare at this point for me to get from the subway to St. Johns without seeing a cop. I don't see them doing a lot recently, but they are definitely there.

And before I get jumped. Again. I'm not complaining. It is fine. And I think the presence alone is a deterrent. And I'm not asking them to be doing anything different than what they are doing. Just commenting. Making an observation.

And did I mention that I wasn't complaining?

P.S. Park slope sucks.
  • daver wrote: P.S. Park slope sucks.

Screw Flanders.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=daver]P.S. Park slope sucks.

Screw Flanders.

Blame Canada.
  • sweet tea wrote: [quote=Carnivore][quote=daver]P.S. Park slope sucks.

Screw Flanders.

Blame Canada.

Love stinks. (yeah yeah.)
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=King without a crown]Do you think the Law is eroded when people are alllowed to Double Park in front of their Church whens theirs a service?(Dean st-6th-Carlton), (St johns Plc-Utica- Schenectady ave) Do you think alternate side of the street cleaning affords people to legally double park?(everywhere) Do you think School Teachers should be allowed to park inside of the School yards where they work?(Sterling Plc-Albany ave)(schenectady-Lincoln pl) Should Postal Employees and Firemen be allowed to park on the sidewalk? (post office St Johns Pl -Troy ave)(firehouse Opp 500 st johns pl) Should Drug store owners be allowed to park and drive on the sidewalk in front of their stores? (Bedford ave-Eastern pkwy) Should people be allowed to Park in the safety zone (front of 35 Eastern Pkwy) Should Parks Dept Employees be able to Park their private vehicles in Parks? (Brower Park) Should recruiters for the military be allowed to park in No Standing Zones? (Eastern pkwy-Utica ave) Should the supervisor for MTA be allowed to park on the Median of Eastern Pkwy?(Eastern pkwy-Utica) The point is, and I can go on and on and on............Theres too many cars in the City and too little places for them. Some people abuse their privileges, while others never do. If a War is to be started, then everyone is fair game!

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no and NO! Park legally or get a ticket.

Cops too.

If they're responding to an emergency, they should be able to park wherever they need to. But if they're parking their private car, they should have to look for a spot like everyone else. Cop cars on the sidewalk or in front of a hydrant, or blocking a crosswalk, or double-parked, or whatever are no less of a hazard or inconvenience than any other car. It's not a matter of a "war." If there's no emergency, it's just laziness and entitlement, and shows total disrespect toward the community these officers are supposed to be protecting.

The fucking guys are expected to take bullets for like $30 k a year. Imagine living on $30 K a year in New York City!

Let them have a little perk, fucksake.
  • Lo Kee wrote: The fucking guys are expected to take bullets for like $30 k a year. Imagine living on $30 K a year in New York City!

Let them have a little perk, fucksake.

Please. They knew the salary going in. Besides, you are _way_ behind the times. Academy is $40-43k now, first year is $42-46k. That is before overtime and moonlighting type gigs, which can net quite a tidy sum.
  • I have awakened a zombie thread to state,

"Things have gotten better, but still aren't that good"

Patch wrote: There has been another gunpoint robbery in the Franklin Avenue area.

A 32-year-old woman walking on Park Place, when, at the corner of Classon Avenue, three men came up to her and asked to borrow her cell phone.

She was trying to find the phone when one of the men demanded her wallet, showing her a black gun in his waistband and saying, “I’m not playing, give us your wallet."

The woman handed it over and the men fled. The robbery took place on Saturday, July 21 at 1:54 a.m.The report said.

This is at least the seventh strong-arm mugging the area between Underhill and Bedford avenues this year:

- On June 20, a 22-year-old man was pistol whipped and his wallet, cell phone and iPod taken at St. Johns Place between Franklin and Bedford avenues.

- On June 13, a gunman held up a couple on Eastern Parkway, using a gun to hit the man in the head and making off with their wallets and a cell phone, according to a police report.

- On May 4, a 30-year-old man was held up by a gun-wielding thief on St. John's Place near Washington Avenue, with the gunman making off with his backpack containing more than $1,000 in clothing and electronics.

- On Feb. 28, a gun-wielding man stole iPhones from women as they walked near the corner of Underhill and St. Marks avenues.

- On Feb. 12, a 35-year-old man turned the tables on a would-be thief by grabbing the gun from him during a mid-afternoon robbery attempt on St. Charles Place near Franklin Avenue

- And on Jan. 24 a 25-year-old woman was walking on St. Johns Place between Bedford and Franklin avenues when a ski-masked-wearing man jabbed a "gun-like object" into her back and stole her backpack and wallet.

- In addition, on Jan. 18, a man was bashed in the head with a metal cane while fighting off four muggers on Bergen Street.

http://prospectheights.patch.com/articles/woman-robbed-at-gunpoint-at-park-place-and-classon-avenue

• According to the Journal, a revamped version of Operation Impact is coming back to eight precincts in the city, including the 79th in Bed-Stuy. The rookie cops will now be paired both with veteran cops and with community leaders such as block association presidents and clergy. Plus they'll be partnered up while on patrol, walk a beat, and receive new training. Sounds like some good changes to me. http://online.wsj.com/articles/nypd-to-roll-out-revamped-operation-impact-plan-1401418520  
  • According to the Journal, a revamped version of Operation Impact is coming back to eight precincts in the city, including the 79th in Bed-Stuy. The rookie cops will now be paired both with veteran cops and with community leaders such as block association presidents and clergy. Plus they'll be partnered up while on patrol, walk a beat, and receive new training. Sounds like some good changes to me. http://online.wsj.com/articles/nypd-to-roll-out-revamped-operation-impact-plan-1401418520  

Strange that they don't even mention which 8 precincts are included in this revamped version of Operation Impact... curious if the 77th is included. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook