796 Franklin, near EP. The former location of JamRock kitchen
  • Sept 23:

This space seems to be still for rent. If I felt like working really long hours, for really low pay, I would open a sandwich shop here.

....I think it has enough foot traffic and visibility to support a Quiznos.

• Nov 14:

A burrito place is rumored to be in the works.

• According to the DOH website, "El Barrio Burritos" has applied for an initial kitchen inspection at this address.

• I will tell my source that s/he was correct, 6 months in advance of the DOH application.
  • According to the DOH website, "El Barrio Burritos" has applied for an initial kitchen inspection at this address.

How long does it typically take from kitchen inspection till opening?

• The length of time between when one requests an initial inspection, and when DOH shows up and looks at your kitchen is usually about 8 weeks. 

Sometimes it is longer, because they are backlogged. 

Needless to say, you don't want to fail and have to wait for them to come back.   This inspection is about plumbing, venting and electrical.

After that, you can open.
  • This place is one of 11 "Mexican themed" restaurants open (or in the process of opening) west of Nostrand in Crown Heights.

For the heck of it, we listed them all here:

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/43891/purity-diner-to-become-burrito-bar#Item_13
  • Looking in the window recently, it looks like there's been some good progress on this one. I'll predict a late June opening.  

Hurry up, please.  I want my burrito.
  • The burrito place coming to Nostrand, near Lincoln, has also been showing signs of progress.

It could be a photo finish.
  • Today! The sign may be hard to make out, but it looks like it will be called El Barrio Burritos.

photo
  • Excited for this place, and think it would do well.  Was hoping for an down to earth authentic feel, but things like wraps and smoothies kill it a little, as well as desserts like key lime pie and mud pie.  

Will still try it.  

In other news, Vincente's hookah/mexican up the street looked open yesterday on my drive back home.

• The prices look really good!
  • Ugh, give me burritos! Want!
  • What I really like about El Barrio is that they have a totally different style of food than Chavela's; I don't see it taking away from Chavela's business at all. When you want a burrito, you want a burrito!
  • One request not on the drinks menu:  horchata por favor!  the real stuff, not concentrate.
  • The owner reportedly owns several other burrito places, so he may be tied to a model.

...a successful model.
  • I heard they'll be serving "Bay Area"-style burritos. As delicious as Chavela's and Guero's both are, neither offers real California-style Mexican food (i.e., burritos!). El Barrio should do very well in that spot.
  • I second the call for horchata!
  • Now Open.

However, I am presently out of town.

Someone should utilize this opportunity to write a review.
  • The few times I walked by on Saturday, there was a steady stream of 5-10 people waiting inside.

So I went in for dinner, around 7:30 I think.  Walked in to what was around 8 people waiting, with tired/cranky looks on their faces.  I imagined given they just opened, they were running slow and figuring things out, so expectations were managed.  After ordering, a customer asked how much longer for his veggie burrito.  He told me he'd been waiting almost 20 min!  Mine came out within 10 total min total, and I felt the glare of others who had been there before me for some time, still waiting.  

The worker (owner?) apologized to another woman that was waiting, as her order had been messed up, and he offered her a free drink.  She didnt even look at him, and just shook her head 'no'.  Dear amateurs, if you go on opening hour, expect kinks.  Come with patience, otherwise go elsewhere.  The worker did the right thing.

Overall it was as good as could be expected.  I wont write a 'review' as it was just one time on opening day (not even their official opening I dont think).  

My one gripe would be the tattooed aging rocker working in back.  He often seemed distracted, dancing, or talking, instead of cranking on the burritos.  When there are 11 hungry people waiting and staring (that was the peak while I was there), shut the eff up and appear as though you're working your ass off.  
  • I went in Saturday night as well.  Took about 30 minutes.  Same for others there at the time.

They had good traffic, but this wasn't beyond what they will likely have many other weekends each year.  They'll need to figure out where they can make their processes more efficient.  Looked like they probably need an extra hand or two in the kitchen.

The burrito was solid but nothing special... which is fine with me given how much closer they are than Taqueria Maya (on Vanderbilt) where I currently go for burritos.  I look forward to trying more of the menu.
  • They are so busy tonight that they are estimating over an hour for delivery.

Every restaurant on Franklin, except Island CZ, has a visible line.
  • Clearly, we need MORE restaurants. :) 
  • It does make it easy to argue that:

1.  The business mix is lagging in meeting the area's changing preferences and means.

2.  Those commercial landlords just might get the "exorbitant" rents that are keeping storefronts on Nostrand vacant.  

• Well, I know that at least 3 of the new businesses on Nostrand came to us because the rents on franklin approached $10,000/month and it was easier to start up on Nostrand, despite the renos that needed to be done. So I have great hope that over the next half if 2014, that a lot of new places and stores will set their sights on the 'relatively' affordable Nostrand...
  • $10,000/month?!?!? wow. well that explains why foreign accent had to close and merge with the barber shop across the street. 
  • To be clear, the $10,000 a month was for storefronts on Franklin Ave. I am not sure what storefronts on Nostrand are going for at the moment...
  • Mike Dunlap wrote:

I went in Saturday night as well.  Took about 30 minutes.  Same for others there at the time.

They had good traffic, but this wasn't beyond what they will likely have many other weekends each year.  They'll need to figure out where they can make their processes more efficient.  Looked like they probably need an extra hand or two in the kitchen.

The burrito was solid but nothing special... which is fine with me given how much closer they are than Maya Taqueria Maya (on Vanderbilt) where I currently go for burritos.  I look forward to trying more of the menu.

Tonight, Ms Whynot and I tried it. My burrito had chicken and a bunch of other stuff, and hers was a veggie one.

We liked that they were not dry.

We wanted them to be spicier.

We usually eat our burritos in the wrappers to prevent spillage, but these came in an aluminum container. ...we adapted.

We look forward to comparing these burritos to the soon to open place on Nostrand at Lincoln.
  • We tried them the other night. I had "naked" burrito (no tortilla), my husband had regular burrito in red tortilla. Burritos were very good--delicious chicken, beans, guacamole, tomato, etc. Everything tasted fresh and chicken was grilled nicely. Staff was friendly and service was quick.

Hubby's burrito came with chips & salsa. Chips were OK--well salted and not too greasy.

BUT... the salsa was awful. No chunks and no spice. Like thick tomato juice.

We enjoyed our relatively inexpensive, filling burritos but we advise you to open a jar of your favorite salsa at home to accompany your tacos and burritos!
  • This place is getting ripped in its Yelp reviews so far. Only 2 of 5 stars overall...

http://m.yelp.com/biz/el-barrio-burritos-brooklyn
  • I actually really like the food there.  They just need to improve their customer service/promptness.  Hopefully they can get it together before it starts to negatively impact their business.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook