Brooklyn Back When - Open Thread
  • Sweet potato on his face
    & hands in the bowl when he got a chance.
    I just love him soooooo much!!
  • Good night sweet dreams
  • Hi All Hope All Is Well

• Good Morning All Have a great day
  • Good morning friends
    Weather is nice
    I have some errands to run
    Hope everyone enjoys their day!!
    :)
  • Hello Friends!

I am amazed at some of the changes taking place in God's Country such as:

Bushwick wasn't always that way but it's good to see the diversity.  Hopefully, some  day this will happen in East New York where I grew up.

The weather here in St Paul has greatly improved (finally!). But the sad thing for me is that the regular season for high school baseball & softball has ended.  Scholastic sports remains my favorite form of entertainment.   Sadly, there have been great cutbacks in Summer league sports and we are still awaiting word as to whether any funding for this type of activity will be found.  Got my fingers crossed that it will be!

Everyone please have a wonderful day!   :)
  • Good Morning All, Weather here has been perfect for several days. Warm & Dry.
    Patsy, Sweet Potato on the hands and face are cute. It's when they get other stuff on their hands I do not find it so funny! Years ago, I was watching one of my Grand daughters when she was 2 or 3. She fell asleep on my lap. At that time she was having a problem keeping her bladder in check. When she fell asleep, she peed. All over me!!! She is now a college grad and I have not teased her about that episode in a long time. Guess I will wait until her boy friend is around and embarrass the hell out of her.

We have 7 grandchildren ranging in age from 22-10. My youngest son & his wife were here at our place several months ago with his 2 children. They are 10 and 13. My daughters daughter graduated from Stockton State College in NJ last May. My oldest sons eldest boy will graduate (hopefully) from John Jay Forensic College in the fall. Enjoy the heck out of your grandchildren because they age so quickly that they are adults before you know it.
  • Hi guys
    Hi Richard!
    Fingers crossed for funding you guys need for your sports, etc.
    Hopefully it will all work out.
    Hi Warren
    Hope you & Carol are well.
    I had my babies pee on me & my son
    Was great for peeing In my face during changing. Lol
    My grandson has already partially peed in my face while putting on clean diaper. I
    Have to learn to change him quicker.
    We need to enjoy all our moments with our
    Loved ones.
    Life goes by too quickly!!

Anna,
    Happy to see Max & Meryl win DWTS
    Max finally won after being on for 13 seasons.
    Hope all is well.
    How is Justin & Brandon??
    Kisses to the boys

Everyone, have a great night!!
  • Gavin in his christening outfit
    One piece with hat. Too cute!!
  • Hi-been so busy with Jessica and Brandon the days just fly by..want to wish my daughter, Tina, a very Happy Birthday today!!! funny story-last week at Justin's graduation-the teacher would call out the student's name and read off what they want to be when they grow up-teacher, policeman, fireman-my grandson said he wanted to be a dancer on Dancing With The Stars...only out of the mouths of babes...LOL...Brandon is getting bigger (and hungrier) every day..he's a regular nightowl!!! keeps my daughter up all night (every 2 hours)..I keep telling her this will pass but she doesn't believe me!!! 86 yesterday & today..on the way home from Jessica's house (which is 25 miles away) in a bad storm with golf ball size hail..my car got a few dents but it was the craziest thing to go through..well, getting late, enjoy the rest of the week everyone........talk to u soon..............
  • Good morning, friends
    Hi Anna
    I wrote to you on here about Dwts
    Don't know if you saw the post or not?
    It is right above.
    Hope all is well.
    Everyone have a great day!!
  • Sweet dreams, people
  • Hi

Patsy...Gavin got so big, he is adorable

Glad everyone is doing good

So sick of all this rain

Have a great Memorial Day weekend
  • Good Morning on this cloudy, Misty and rainy day
    Patsy I am happy Max won but she is on my nerves.  I think she had an advantage being an ice skater. I said get a room.  She was all over him. Just did nt like her so much.
    Anyway my little cuzzie is getting so big.  xoxoxoxo

Hi Warren,Judy, Anna , Debbie and Prodigalson

Did I forget anyone??  OK off to taking Mia to school and to the gym...Have a great day
  • Good morning, friends
    Hi cuz Xxox to Mia.
    Will call u soon.
    Hi Judy
    Thanx & he is getting so big so quickly!!
    Send a big hug to Sal for me.
    Say hi to Bobby!
    My daughter Toniann is taking her last exam today & she is done with her first year of college. Boy, did that go by quickly!!
    She received a 3.5 GPA award & she also received most improved player on her softball team. So proud of her!
    Weather not so nice. I hope tomorrow is better, we have a bar b q to go too.
    Fingers crossed.
    Everyone, have a safe & great holiday weekend!
  • I suspect you folks may enjoy this video about Brooklyn Back When:

• Hi Whynot
    Thanx & enjoy your weekend.
  • good morning, friends :)
    weather seems to be better today. what rain we had last night!!
    lightening, thunder, the whole ball of wax!!
    geting readuy to go to a frineds bbq in S.I.
    looking forward to it!!! mutual friends o mine, millie & carol's.
    i will see the crew today!! looking forward..
    everyone, enjoy your day & holiday weekend!!
  • tried to post pix from glitter-graphics
    did not work
    oh well!!!
    judy, i need u to walk me thru it please.
    i did it the way i used to, but it is not working.
    thanx :)
  • Hi cuz
    Max & Meryl had some kind of chemistry together. Yes she is an Olympic gold medal skater, so she had an advantage.
    Biut they were good!!
    Max has always been my favorite thru all the seasons I watched DWTS,
    He is a great dancer & can we say
    HOT!!!
    Lol
  • Good morning, friends
    Weather is beautiful today!!
    Enjoy!!
  • Good morning all....

Happy Memorial Day weekend.

I can't believe my oldest, Kati, is graduating college next week!!  She was accepted into Hunter College's mental health counseling program to earn her masters.  I'm a proud mama lol My youngest, Samantha, just turned 18 and my son, Kevin, finished his freshman year in college....times flying!!

Patsy I didn't realize your anniversary is on Samantha's birthday....Happy belated anniversary.  I also love Pepinos!!

Anna enjoy the new baby :-)

Hi Judy, Terry, Warren and all......
  • Hello All,
    Remember please, this used to be "Decoration Day" when people decorated the graves of loved ones lost in battle. As "Memorial Day" we do a lot of celebrating with bar-b- cues, picnics etc:. That is all fine as long as we remember the true meaning of the day and at least set apart a part of the day to remember & "Memorialize" our departed heroes. Our Dedication here at our Independent Living facility will be at 10:am. I have been chosen to do the benediction as well as lead the group in singing "America The Beautiful". Enjoy the day & cherish the memories......
  • Happy Memorial Day friends
    Hi Warren
    Yes, I have already said my prayer today for the departed heroes.
    We must never forget!!
    I know you will give a great benediction!
    God Bless you Warren.
  • Everyone have a great & safe holiday!
    My grandson Gavin is going to a Mets game today with his parents & another couple who actually invited them & their baby daughter. They have tix (VIP) seats where they can eat inside or outside & private bathrooms. They will be up close & personal to the field.
    Gavin will be wearing his Mets outfit!
    I will post some pictures later.
    Enjoy your day'
  •  Hi-Happy Memorial Day-waiting for Jessica & Brandon to pick me up for a BBQ at Steve's aunt's house (Steve is working & will meet us there) it's a beautiful day out today Patsy-I do love Maks & Meryl..it was a great season this year!!  Congrats to all the graduates this year!  Time goes by so fast!!!  heard from my brother-swimming pool is going in right now...and starting to look on line for my new bedroom furniture!  getting pretty excited!!! don't know how I'm going to leave my grandkids but I have to be strong and know they'll come visit me!   well, talk to everyone soon..stay safe............ 
  • Hi Anna
    Enjoy all the good things coming your way!'
  • Gavin outside house getting ready to go see the Mets.
    Hope they win today!
  • (Maybe by next year, he will grow into the cap on his head.
    Lol
  • Good Morning on this cloudy, Misty and rainy day
    Patsy I am happy Max won but she is on my nerves.  I think she had an advantage being an ice skater. I said get a room.  She was all over him. Just did nt like her so much.
    Anyway my little cuzzie is getting so big.  xoxoxoxo

Hi Warren,Judy, Anna , Debbie and Prodigalson

Did I forget anyone??
  • That post was from the other day I guess it never went through  lol  Or did it.???
  • Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Have a great tuesday
  • Good morning all.....

Morning Terry, you're always up with the birds lol

Patsy, Gavin looks too cute :-)

Anna sounds like your new home is moving along.

Have a great day all....
  • Good morning friends
    Lol cuz that did post the other day.
    I'm like to myself, I read that already.
    Thanx, Deb. He's getting so big so quickly!
    I'll call you about brunch this week.
    Everyone, have a great day!!!!

• Hi Everyone,

Patsy...Gavin is so adorable in that Met's outfit......

Anna...sounds so exciting for this new chapter in your life.

warren....nice to see you and Carol so active in your community

Debbie ...Congrats to Kati and your other two.....time goes by so fast

Terry....your granddaughters are getting so big, they are so beautiful

Have a nice day....I am going for a massage tonight, part of my Mother's Day gift...can't wait
  • Good Morning All
  • THE REAL PARK SLOPE REUNION

SEPTEMBER 6TH

1PM

THE YACHT CLUB

MANSION AVENUE

STATEN ISLAND, NEW YORK

35 DOLLARS A HEAD

FOOD, SODA, CAKE AND COFFEE

DRINKS START AT 2.50  MAYBE 3.OO DOLLARS

TEE SHIRT INCLUDED..IF YOU ARE COMING NEED YOUR SHIRT SIZE

PLEASE DON'T WAIT TOO LONG TO DECIDE,  WE ARE LIMITED AT THE YACHT CLUB.

WE HAD TO TURN PEOPLE AWAY THE LAST ONE THERE.

September seems so far away but I have to leave deposits and start doing tee shirts.

We have about 75 so far that are coming

IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WE NEED TO SEND THIS TO LET ME KNOW OR JUST PASS IT ON...THANKS

BE T
    HERE OR BE SQUARE
  • Good morning friends
    Hi cuz
    Will send you $$ this week.
    Love ya xx.

Rain coming this way.
    Stay dry & enjoy!!
    Have a great day, everyone!!
  • Good morning, friends
    Enjoy your day!!
  • THE REAL PARK SLOPE REUNION

SEPTEMBER 6TH

1PM

THE YACHT CLUB

MANSION AVENUE

STATEN ISLAND, NEW YORK

35 DOLLARS A HEAD

FOOD, SODA, CAKE AND COFFEE

DRINKS START AT 2.50  MAYBE 3.OO DOLLARS

TEE SHIRT INCLUDED..IF YOU ARE COMING NEED YOUR SHIRT SIZE

PLEASE DON'T WAIT TOO LONG TO DECIDE,  WE ARE LIMITED AT THE YACHT CLUB.

WE HAD TO TURN PEOPLE AWAY THE LAST ONE THERE.

September seems so far away but I have to leave deposits and start doing tee shirts.

We have about 75 so far that are coming

mail...

MONEY ORDER OR CASH TO ME

TERRY SHERMAN

731 CLAWSON STREET

S.I. NY  10306

917 499 1912

IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WE NEED TO SEND THIS TO LET ME KNOW OR JUST PASS IT ON...THANKS

BE T
    HERE OR BE SQUARE
  • Good Morning All.
    Sorry my post got posted 2 x for the reunion. 
    Have a great day and a great weekend  xoxoxo

• Good morning friends
    TGIF. Enjoy your weekend.
  • Good Morning Happy Saturday
    have a great weekend.
  • Good morning, friends
    Off to the dentist today!
    Ugh!! Need some work done.
    Everyone, have a great day!
    Weather is beautiful.
  • Hi everyone...beautiful week and beautiful weekend so far..summer is finally here!  stayed over Jessica & Steve's house to help out with Brandon..someone bought my living room furniture and will pick it up this afternoon...things are really moving along..reality is setting in and as soon as we get a closing date-I'll be down in Florida...thank God for planes...(although I hate flying I'll muddle thru somehow...LOL..anyway, enjoy the rest of the weekend...talk to u soon................
  • Hi Patsy, Anna and All....
    Beautiful day
    Just leaving for  90 minute spin class for Relay For Life
    We are spinning for Cancer.
    So far My son has 2 classes at 20 dollars a person and al that money will go to Relay for Life..
    Have a great day
    Wish me luck that I make it through 90 minutes of biking.  woo hoo
  • good morning, friends :)
    hi cuz..
    you can do it!!!
    i am going to Brooklyn Cyclones game on june 16th. it is a
    fund raiser going to cancer foundation.
    hi anna
    sounds like it is all coming together!!
    good luck & be happy!!!

everyone, have a great day!!!
  • Hello Friends!

I hope all remains well and that you will each have a wonderful  Brooklyn Day 2014  - June 5th

• Hi Richard
    They now call it "all boroughs day"
    Everyone wants to get into the act.
    Lol
    Enjoy your weekend!
  • Guess what? It originally was called "Anniversary" Day. It was the celebration of the Anniversary of the Brooklyn Sunday School Union. There were parades of Sunday Schools all over Brooklyn. The main contingent met in Prospect Park. We had dignitaries greet us including Mayor LaGuardia, President Eisenhower, Governor Dewey , ( I sat on his lap for a photo op) and many others. All public Schools were closed in Brooklyn. Later on Queens joined in. Then even later it became Brooklyn Day. > Ironic, now you say it is called "All Borough's Day". Each Church was assigned a policeman who accompanied us to and from the park. Some Church's had a band to lead them. When we got back to our Church we had Ice Cream from Droges in Bay Ridge and soda was donated by somebody.
  • Hi Warren
    Interesting story!
    I have heard of Droges, but they must have left Bay Ridge a long time ago.
    I have been in Bay Ridge almost 27 yrs now & no Droges.
    We have a couple of ice cream parlors,
    (Cold Stone) being the most popular.
    So many flavors & different toppings.
    You can also make your own ice cream
    Dish or cone.
    It's pretty awesome.
    Hope all is well with you & Carol.
    Enjoy your day!!
  • I will still call it Brooklyn Day.
    They are just changing everything...
    Good Night Sweet dreams
    xoxoxo
  • The reunion is coming along.
    People are sending and dropping off money.
    woo hooooo
  • Patsy the Dritto's and a few of us are going to dinner on the 12th about 6 30 If you can get a ride in let me know..
  • Good Morning All
    Have a Great Day
  • Good morning, friends
    Hi Cuz
    Thank for the invite, but I have an
    Appt that night. I will call u soon!
    Tell the Dtitto clan I was asking g for them!
    Love ya xx
    Everyone, have a great day!!
  • Hi!

"All Boroughs Day"?

OK. I can accept that - but, for me, only Brooklyn can say it is God's Country! :)
  • Patsy, If you go to Google and enter Droge's Ice cream, they have quite a few entries about the place. It was at 66th & 6th Ave. It lasted quite awhile. For the Church we got bricks of Vanilla, Chocolate & Strawberry. I am talking about a l o n g time ago. When I sat on Gov. Dewey's lap for the papers, I was probably about 5 0r 6 years old. I am so damned old I remember the EL on 5th avenue. It ran from downtown Brooklyn to about 39th street where you had to change to the BMT to get anywhere. At one time we had the 5th Avenue Trolley, The 3rd Ave Bus/Trolley, the 7th Ave Trolley and the PPW trolley which ran from Bartel/Pritchard Square down PPW to 9th Street. Down 9th Street to Smith St and then to Fulton street downtown. That is not counting the BMT which ran along 4th Ave, the IND which ran East on 9th street etc:. When I worked in Manhattan I used to take the "F" train at 9th and 4th to Jay street, changed to the A train and took that to 14th Street and 8th Ave in Manhattan. I worked in Nabisco at 14th St and 11th Ave. There is NO transportation system in the world like the NYC transit!!!!

• Hi Warren
    I will google it.
    It was not far from where I live in Bay Ridge
    Now. (Approximately. 8 blocks away)
    I have heard of it. I have 2 books written about Bay Ridge. I might have seen it on the older writings of Bay Ridge. I also bought the Park Slope book. It's always great to look back & reminisce.
    Thanx for the info. & yes NYC transit is pretty awesome.

Hi Richard
    I agree...Brooklyn is "God's country!"
    Everyone, enjoy your night!

• Good Morning All
    Patsy it is the 18th noi the 12th..Sorry..I know it is hard for u to get here but just did not want to leave u out my Cuzzie.
    OMG  did u watch the Bachelorette.   am so sad...
    Everyone have a great day.
    It will always be Brooklyn Day to me and yes it is God's Country Prodigalson.  xoxoxo
  • Good morning friends
    Hi cuz
    I will let u know. Having dental work done & I have some night visits.
    Busy busy busy!!
    Bachelorette sad, yes:(
    What a shame!!
    Talk to u soon
    Love ya, xx
    Everyone, have a great day!!
  • Good Morning All
    Have a great day
  • Good morning friends
    Enjoy your day!!
  • Hi everyone-closing date for the house is tentatively set for July 3rd...so I don't know how often I will be on here between packing & helping Jessica out..moving out of the apt. on June 29/30th..then down to stay with one of the girls..I figure I'll go down to Fla. on July 5th or 6th...cool & rainy today..good day to get in my closet & go thru pictures and get paperwork together...will probably get rid of this old computer by the end of the month & buy a tablet so I may not be on here until I'm settled with everything...talk to everyone soon.........I'll be on here for a couple of weeks I hope...bye
  • Hi Anna
    Good luck!!
    Post back soon.....
  • Good Morning and Happy Thursday
  • Hi Anna and Patsy...
  • Hi Everyone,

Anna...good luck with your move..

Terry...did you get my money for the reunion?

Everyone have a good day
  • Good morning, friends
    Hi cuz
    Hi Judy
    Enjoy the day!!!
  • Good Morning All
    Have a great day
    Patsy, Debbie have fun shopping tomorrow I will miss the fun day.
    Love u all...
    Have a Zucchini stick on me.  lol
  • Hi cuz
    We're not going
    Carol not feeling too well
    Mildred broke her wrist &
    I am having root canal done.
    We're all falling apart
    Lol
    Xx
  • Well, looks like I have plenty of company not feeling well. Went to the Dr. on Wednesday. Looks like a sinus infection. I have gigantic anti-biotic capsules to take three times a day. Hope they do the job. Have already missed Tai-Chi classes, Line Dance Classes and dinner one night. On Sunday I will be taking part in the Non-Denominational Worship Service here and in another Independent/Assisted Living facility. If I have a voice, I will be there. The baseball team here, Tampa Bay Rays just lost 10 consecutive games. They were supposed to be play off material this year. Looks more like they are the league door mats!!! Anna, moving is no fun but just think of the life you are heading into. Do not forget the Sun Tan Lotion!

• Come in on June 6th and help us celebrate National Donut Day! Your favorite donut is waiting for you at your nearest Dunkin' - just purchase any beverage and we'll give you a free donut to go along with it*.
  • Patsy...OMG

We are a bunch of old ladies.  lol  Love it
    Hope everyone gets better soon for a shopping say....
    Teeth, wrist, Carol not feeling well and me too
    Going to the Doctor at 4pm only time he could fit me in.  ????  Maybe Urinary Tract infection Don't know. It is always something...
  • Good Morning Patsy....
    Good Morning All....
    Have a great Saturday.

• Good morning, friends
    Hi Cuz
    Hope you're feeling ok. Xx
    Getting ready to go to dentist we will arrange another shopping day but it will be awhile. I have every Saturday booked from now up until July 4th
    (My great nephew's christening next Saturday, than June 21 & 28 graduation.)
    All good things.
    I hope everyone enjoys their weekend &
    This great weather.
  • Good morning, friends
    Hi Cuz
    Hope you're feeling ok. Xx
    Getting ready to go to dentist we will arrange another shopping day but it will be awhile. I have every Saturday booked from now up until July 4th
    (My great nephew's christening next Saturday, than June 21 & 28 graduation.)
    All good things.
    I hope everyone enjoys their weekend &
    This great weather.
  • Happy Sunday
    BBQ today at home
    Finally, yard is cleaned up
    Next week we open pool if weather permits
    Enjoy your day!!!
  • Sunday Evening and all is well! Took part in two services this afternoon. Voice did not hold up too well but I was able to complete the readings I was asked to do.

Sunday evening reminds me of a time I used to accompany my Uncle (I also worked in the same office as him and we were more like buddies then Uncle & Nephew). We went to the Bay Ridge American Legion Post. I think it was on 75th St (Bay Ridge Pkwy) . They had a piano player and plenty of beer & pretzels. We would all sing the old party songs and had a calm, fun, early to bed Sunday evening. When the American Legion National Convention came to NY back in the 50"s, my uncle and I joined with the groups at different Hotels one night. I ended up doing the Charleston with a women in the lobby of the Hotel Astor at Times Square. Its gone now. The Legion people sure knew how to have a good time. I heard later that the Hotels did not particularly want the Legion back for another convention. Had nothing to do with my dance, back then I could do it pretty well. Especially after a few beers! Enjoy the rest of your evening.
  • Hi Warren
    There's still a legion post there
    Probably the same one?
    What avenue was the post on that you went too??
    Hope your voice is feeling better.
    Take care :)

• Good night Sweet Dreams
  • Good Morning All
    Horrible Rain today...
    Have a great day
  • Good morning friends
    Rainy day!!!
    Stay dry & enjoy
  • Good morning friends
    Happy Tuesday!!
    More rain coming
    Enjoy your day
  • I love my carrots
  • Look into my baby blues
    Xximage
  • Good morning friends
    Hope everyone is good!
    Enjoy your day!!!!
  • Patsy, I am not sure of the exact location of the Legion but it probably is the same place you know of. So much has changed since I was active in Bay Ridge, I would not even recognize a lot of it. I belonged to the Bay Ridge Masonic Club which was on the corner of 4th Ave and I believe 77th st. It was across the street from the K of C. I think the club is long gone. Ovington Alleys is gone? How about the Alpine Theater on Fifth Ave. Back in the 40"s or early 50's I went to the Alpine with my Mother to see Gene Kelly in "The Pirate". We took the 5th Ave Trolley out and back! The Bay ridge Masonic Temple on 69th St below 4th Ave is I do not know what now? My Parents were both laid out in Waldeck's Funeral Parlor on 4th Ave and I think 78th St. I believe it is part of a chain now. Of course, building the Verazzano Bridge took out quite a bit of the Shore Road area. Is Ft Hamolton still there?
  • OMG Patsy Gavin is adorable.......what beautiful eyes....I know how much you must be enjoying him

Hello to everyone
  • Hi everyone-well it's confirmed-closing date is July 3..will be ordering my bedroom furniture at the end of the week for delivery down there..so excited!  watched Brandon yesterday while Jessica went for her 6 week checkup..lost all the baby weight!  we then met Tina & Justin at the mall!!  been raining for the last 2 days..going to the pool with Tina & Justin on Saturday..Tina left her job & decided to spend the summer home with Justin (and help with Jessica and Brandon) when I leave for Fla. the girls will spend the summer together...love your story Warren-remember taking the 5th Ave. bus with my grandfather when I was 12 out to Shore Rd. to watch the Verrazzano Bridge being built..what memories! For some reason, I don't think the kids today will have the same great memories we had when we were younger...so sad...will talk to u soon............................. 
  • Good Morning All...
    Have a great Thursday

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook