enormous building near franklin ave. shuttle stop
  • ok, what the hell is this place! You could fit a plane in there! It looks so big and mysterious. What's it for?
  • Which Franklin Ave shuttle stop?
  • This building is the future home of PHGS (Prospect Heights Gentrification Center). An experienced staff, spearheaded by a former Habitat for Humanity director, will be on hand to assist any new arrival who needs/wants it. There'll be renovation workshops, security tips, & crime victim counselling. Facility is scheduled to open sometime this Fall. Website should be up & running shortly.
  • Sounds great! Where do I send my tax-deductible donation? Also, I'd be happy to run a workshop on creative ways to evict section 8 tenants.
  • Anonymous wrote: This building is the future home of PHGS (Prospect Heights Gentrification Center). An experienced staff, spearheaded by a former Habitat for Humanity director, will be on hand to assist any new arrival who needs/wants it. There'll be renovation workshops, security tips, & crime victim counselling. Facility is scheduled to open sometime this Fall. Website should be up & running shortly.

What address are we talking here?
  • I believe that you are referring to 1046 Dean Street, which is the amazing hulking structure on the west side of Franklin between Bergen Street and Dean.

This site was once home to a successful brewing company. According to http://www.nyfoodmuseum.org/bkbeer.htm, it was founded in 1849 under the name "Liberger and Walter". In 1866, a brewery magnate named Christian Goetz bought the brewery and renamed it the Bedford Brewery. Eighteen years later, in 1884, Goetz sold it to a group of businessmen led by William Brown, who renamed the brewery Budweiser Brewing Company - a reference to the high quality of beer produced in Budweis, Bohemia (which, I must say, is pretty good). Anheuser-Busch, however, sued Brown for copying their name, which Anheuser had trademarked six years earlier, in 1878. Brown ultimately gave in and changed the name to the Nassau Brewing Company, and operated it under this name until 1914, when the company closed down and brewing operations ceased.

From what I can uncover, the property has changed hands several times in the 93 years since the brewery closed down, being used mainly as a warehouse property.

In 2002, a nonprofit community developer named CPC Resources (a subsidiary of the Community Preservation Corporation) bought the site with the intention of rezoning it and building "artists lofts" (hence the gentrification comment). CPC succeeded in getting it rezoned from a manufacturing zoning to a residential one, but CPC Resources has since bought the Domino Sugar Factory in Williamsburg as well, and has presumably found itself with its hands full with all the political problems at that site. As a result, they put 1046 Dean Street on the market at an asking price of $8 million. Last I checked the NYC Department of Finance database, it has not yet been sold.

As a resident of the community and as someone who does community development professionally, I would love to see this site developed into affordable housing for the community with some good street-level retail. I share the concern of many on this board that as the beauty and predominant friendliness of the Crown Heights North neighborhood becomes more widely known, gentrification will pose a threat to the many moderate and low-income families living here. However, at an asking price of $8 million, I fear that it is highly unlikely that the site will turn into anything but market-rate condos.

FYI, I am neither affiliated with CPC nor with the broker for the property, I am just a community member who became obsessed with the hugeness and history of this site. If anyone has other information on this site, I'd love to hear it.
  • Pierpont wrote: I believe that you are referring to 1046 Dean Street, which is the amazing hulking structure on the west side of Franklin between Bergen Street and Dean.

This site was once home to a successful brewing company. According to http://www.nyfoodmuseum.org/bkbeer.htm, it was founded in 1849 under the name "Liberger and Walter". In 1866, a brewery magnate named Christian Goetz bought the brewery and renamed it the Bedford Brewery. Eighteen years later, in 1884, Goetz sold it to a group of businessmen led by William Brown, who renamed the brewery Budweiser Brewing Company - a reference to the high quality of beer produced in Budweis, Bohemia (which, I must say, is pretty good). Anheuser-Busch, however, sued Brown for copying their name, which Anheuser had trademarked six years earlier, in 1878. Brown ultimately gave in and changed the name to the Nassau Brewing Company, and operated it under this name until 1914, when the company closed down and brewing operations ceased.

From what I can uncover, the property has changed hands several times in the 93 years since the brewery closed down, being used mainly as a warehouse property.

In 2002, a nonprofit community developer named CPC Resources (a subsidiary of the Community Preservation Corporation) bought the site with the intention of rezoning it and building "artists lofts" (hence the gentrification comment). CPC succeeded in getting it rezoned from a manufacturing zoning to a residential one, but CPC Resources has since bought the Domino Sugar Factory in Williamsburg as well, and has presumably found itself with its hands full with all the political problems at that site. As a result, they put 1046 Dean Street on the market at an asking price of $8 million. Last I checked the NYC Department of Finance database, it has not yet been sold.

As a resident of the community and as someone who does community development professionally, I would love to see this site developed into affordable housing for the community with some good street-level retail. I share the concern of many on this board that as the beauty and predominant friendliness of the Crown Heights North neighborhood becomes more widely known, gentrification will pose a threat to the many moderate and low-income families living here. However, at an asking price of $8 million, I fear that it is highly unlikely that the site will turn into anything but market-rate condos.

FYI, I am neither affiliated with CPC nor with the broker for the property, I am just a community member who became obsessed with the hugeness and history of this site. If anyone has other information on this site, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for this info. I knew about the plan to develop artists' lofts, which would presumably be affordable for working artists/students, but hadn't heard that the plans fell through. I suspected as such, since the For Sale sign went up. It is an amazing structure, and it would be great to see it become something for the whole community. A week or two ago, I did see a crane in one of the smaller side buildings on Dean at the site, perhaps doing some work there (it was the building right next to the renovated ice house on Dean--the one that looks like a one-storied garage next to the two clapboard gray houses). I have also seen some amount of construction activity on the Bergen Street side (the old Monti Storage part) over the past year or so--maybe they are getting ready for a sale.
  • ....and, four years later, I have heard what I believe to be a reliable rumor:

The not-so-new owner is in the process of getting plans approved that are "as of right", meaning he will not have endure hearings and community input.

What's is he going to build?

Market Rate Rentals.

photo credit: http://blightingvacancy.blogspot.com/2009/12/1042-dean-street-at-franklin-ave.html

• Too small for a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's, too big for a Starbucks. Maybe an Urban Outfitters?

• I always dreamed of owning the building and turning it into a ..... brewery. Well, brewpub. Like a Chelsea brewery or something. Or a Brooklyn Brewery with food.

• ^^^ OT, but I've been soooo disappointed with CB the last few times I've gone there. Sometime, maybe 3 years ago, their food quality took a turn for the worse, and it's been less worth the trip. (On top of that, it seems to be a more popular d-bag hangout, but I can't blame CB for that)

• I fear d-bags could rent some of the new market rate apartments.

Yes, I suspect we could get something corporate in the ground floor.

Is it too much to ask for a reputable bank branch?

• WhyFi said:

^^^ OT, but I've been soooo disappointed with CB the last few times I've gone there. Sometime, maybe 3 years ago, their food quality took a turn for the worse, and it's been less worth the trip. (On top of that, it seems to be a more popular d-bag hangout, but I can't blame CB for that)

I agree. Super DB-y. Last time I went was with my husband and my inlaws and the table next to us had a guitar and were singing loudly to frat-boy songs. I get that we were sitting outside, but this is a restaurant!

I only go if a) I'm already on the west side highway for some reason and want a beer or a snack OR if parents are in town and we do a crawl of breweries (walk/bus to Brooklyn Brewery, take the L to Union Square for Heartland, and then the L to 8th ave to walk up to Chelsea. While my parents and I prefer BK brewery, the inlaws prefer Chelsea since it's more "chain suburban" feeling. But it's not a chain, so I'm good with going.

• Our understanding is that it will be studio/office space on the Bergen end leaving as much as possible of the current facade intact, the remainder of the development above street level will be rentals, there will be retail on the Franklin & Bergen ground floors. At the moment it is being developed as of right, CHCA will be meeting monthly with the developer to keep lines of communication with the community open. We feel this will be a good development for the community. There is a blurb about it on the front page of our site with a link to plans.

• I've got to hand it to the developer, not many people are able to raise the kind of cash he is about to spend.

If you develop condos, you get your investment back after you sell the units.

Rentals take a really long time to pay you back, even market rate ones.

Alma was able to pull it off with the hospital buildings, but they are a big corporation.

I hope he is able to make some money off this plan..... I'd hate to see another half finished building in the hood.

• Noticed some scaffolding go up on the Dean st side of the building (with the vinyl siding). Perhaps preparation for some work?

Links:

http://crowhillcommunity.org/projects/nassau-brewery/

http://crowhillcommunity.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/letterunderstandingfNassauBrewery.pdf

• I suspect that the scaffolding is up as per a DOB requirement that the pedestrians on the sidewalk need protection from any loose bricks.

The building is in a serious state of disrepair.

• Heads up!

Today, 6/12/2013, workers were in the space behind the big opening with 933 above it and made a bunch of piles of the loose debris that was around.

This building has been discussed on prior threads on Brooklynian, but lets lock those and keep this dominant one open.

(deleted threads)

• Wasn't today June 12?

• It was, and I've now fixed the date.

I don't know if any of the work that was being done today involved (or required) a work permit, but man, I would love for someone to come up with some info on this much-watched site.

This site, combined with 1000 Dean, will make a huge impact on that immediate area.

Note, the brewery complex is actually composed of at least 8 addresses:

943 Bergen

947 Bergen

1036 Dean

1038 Dean

1040 Dean

1042 Dean

1044 Dean

1046 Dean

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyBrowseByBBLServlet?requestid=5&allborough=3&allblock=1142&alllot=48

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyProfileOverviewServlet?requestid=2&bin=3331876

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyProfileOverviewServlet?bin=3330773&requestid=4

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyProfileOverviewServlet?bin=3330649&requestid=4

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyProfileOverviewServlet?bin=3330650&requestid=4

• Oct 3, 2013

Heads up Boys and Girls!

Much of the complex just went up for sale!

<small>View Larger Map</small>

You'll need $18M.

If you take the affordable housing incentive, you'll receive over 100,000 BSF!

If you just build market, you get around 75k BSF.

http://www.terracrg.com/setups/Franklin_and_Dean.pdf

Here are the addresses it shares with Franklin Avenue:

606, 608, 610, 612, 614 Franklin

Make sure to look at the pdf above to get a sense of which buildings we are talking about.

Press: http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/10/03/crown-heights-owner-plays-off-rezoning-lists-site-for-18m/

• Brownstoner says the owner did NOT list the Brewery itself - the amazing old brick edifice on Bergen - and plans to convert it himself to residential and retail.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013/10/massive-development-site-up-for-grabs-on-franklin-avenue-in-crown-heights/

If this is true this is excellent news. Presumably the proceeds from the sale of the (architecturally) less-significant parcels on Dean Street can subsidize his costs to stabilize and renovate the brewery.

• yes.

This pdf shows which of the buildings are for sale:

http://www.terracrg.com/setups/Franklin_and_Dean.pdf

The big brick buildings that line Bergen are not for sale.

• If I can be slightly ignorant for a second here (and I know there's a separate "new Crown Heights zoning" thread...but in a sentence or two, what about the new zoning (which actually puts limits on new building heights, right?) - would likely have motivated the seller to list this property post zoning amendment?

• While height restrictions were imposed, this lot was given the ability to build a greater Floor Area Ratio, which impacts buildable sq ft. The FAR can now be further increased if the developer chooses to participate in an affordable housing program.

The definition of "affordable" that must be abided by isn't very strict by my definition. Hence, the developer might go for it....

• Very good question notsayin. The FAR is the story but the big change doesn't depend on the inclusionary housing (affordable). The FAR for this lot went from 2.43 to 3.45 as of right or 4.6 if they add the affordable component.

The trade off is that city planning dictates the building height (80') and the setback (R7A with the A being very important). http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/zone/zh_r7a.shtml

No longer can someone build a similar building to that tower on St. Marks surrounded by a parking lot. The building has to line up with the walls of the others. So the city is basically telling developers to build buildings that are similar in mass, scale, and street experience to the historic buildings. The quid pro quo is that owners can build more on these lots now. Plus if they include affordable units (restricted to families makeing less than 80% of Area Median Income ~ $49k I think) they can build even more. Typically this is incentive enough for them to build the units.

• Also forgot to mention that the new zoning doesn't have the same open space (usually a parking lot or grass) requirements as the old. This makes possible building denser buildings that are ultimately more marketable and attractive to retail.

• I agree with everything vaportrail wrote.

And will add that although it won't be ready until 2-3 years from now, I expect the first floor to provide some Class A commercial space.

• TerraCRG is trying to get bidders to line up...

Hi (real name),

As you may already know, my team is marketing the mixed-use development site located at 608 Franklin Avenue on the corner of Franklin Avenue and Dean Street in Brooklyn. The property is zoned R7A which allows for up to 4.6 FAR with inclusionary housing bonus, giving the project a total of 100,875 buildable SF. The 21,929 SF site has 141 feet of frontage on Franklin Avenue.

The Preliminary Bid deadline for the property is this Friday, November 1st @ 2 PM. If you are planning to bid, please email me for the full Offering Memo and feel free to give me a call to discuss.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ofer

Ofer Cohen | Founder & President | TerraCRG | 592 Pacific Street, Suite B | Brooklyn, NY 11217 |

T: 718-768-6888 | F: 917-591-8206 | ocohen@terracrg.com | www.terracrg.com | @ofercohen

TerraCRG is hiring http://www.terracrg.com/careers/

Sadly, I don't think I have enough in my checking account to handle this.

• See how they feel about $20.

• Readers, this development is one of the Big Developments happening in western Crown Heights in 2014 that we will watching closely. To learn about the others, see this thread:

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/37490/the-big-6-developments-in-western-ch-in-2013-the-big-11-developments-in-2014#Item_29

• Old photo of one of the parts of the brewery complex that is not for sale
  • I had no idea that there were lagering caves beneath the brewery. Too bad this event is sold out; it sounds pretty cool:*Sat., March 1, 2014: Cold Comfort: Lagers in the Historic Nassau Brewery Lagering Caves (Atlantic Ave @ Washington Ave, Brooklyn, $45, SOLD OUT)-Brooklyn was once a borough of blue-collar industry that made ships, Sweet'N Low, and, above all, beer. By the end of the 1970s, though, the brewing industry had vanished. Majestic brick structures fell into disrepair, and though the buildings may have since been renovated, many of the lagering tunnels sat untouched and sealed. Until now!In Crown Heights, the old Nassau Brewery has taken on a new life. At long last, the 1860s-era lagering tunnels have been uncovered, and stairs installed. Join host Joshua M. Bernstein (author of The Complete Beer Course and host of the NYC homebrew tours) as he heads down into the lagering tunnels; the group will be among the first people to venture underground in a century. Learn the history of the brewery and drink lagers by Brooklyn Brewery, KelSo, SingleCut Beersmiths, Bitter & Esters, several homebrewers and Maine's Bunker Brewing.Part of the 6th annual New York City Beer Week: http://news.hamlethub.com/ridgefield/events/41773-6th-annual-new-york-city-beer-week-february-21-march-2-2014-1390829299
  • ^very cool.   Sorry I missed it^

Returning to repurposing, the listing for the site was last updated in early February and there is a large TerraCRG banner on the property, making me suspect that that no contract on the site has yet been signed.

• Heads up!

The link that describes the portion for sale was updated 6 days ago 
    and now reports "In Contract":

Here we go!
  • @nothinlikeabklyngirl-
    Check out how the owners of the adjoining building (not part of the property that is for sale) is going to use the caves:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304810904579505731188853114?mobile=y
  • Wow! Never could have imagined that in Crown Heights. But it's so cool that the tunnels are being used after 100 years.
  • In about 3 months, I expect the real estate press to provide us a rendering of what the "for sale" part of this site will become.

I expect apartments as nice as those about to lease at Franklin and EP.

...but far more of them.
  • A little birdie has told me the property may officially change hands (i.e. "close") prior to the end of May.    
  • According to Brownstoner:
    An eight-story mixed-use building is coming to the corner of Dean and Franklin in Crown Heights, on the site of a former brewery. NY YIMBY first spotted new building applications for the 119-unit development at 1036-1042 Dean Street.The ODA Architecture-designed build will have 100,629 square feet total, including 81,880 square feet of residential space and 18,749 square feet of commercial.

More at http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2014/06/eight-story-building-to-replace-part-of-crown-heights-brewery/
  • For a sense of perspective, this new building will contain about TWICE the amount of retail SF, and residential SF as the new building at 341 Eastern Parkway.
  • I just did a quick search to see if renderings were up on the site of ODA Architecture yet.

www.oda-architecture.com

Nope, not yet. But I suspect they will be soon.

BTW, the building may face Dean, not Franklin: 1037 Dean, as opposed to 608 Franklin.

I expect a predemolition construction fence soon. This site and the garage on St. John's (near the shuttle tracks) look like they will be demolished this Fall.
  • Last week, the site seems to have been sold from one LLC to another for $17.5M

No word on whether the new entity will design a new building, or just use the already developed plans.    

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook