• http://theqatparkside.blogspot.com/2014/06/cb9-votes-in-almost-entirely-new.html

Any opinions about the massive changes at the Community Planning Board?
    FWIW I was a board member several years ago, became disenchanted with its operation, and was greatly relieved when I discovered I had been appointed to a short-term interim position, and chose not to re-apply. Perhaps the changes will help?

I guess most commenters here live north of Eastern Parkway and are in CB8, but there must be some, besides me, who live in Crown Heights South or Prospect Lefferts Gardens.
  • I am in Crown Heights South and I think this change is GREAT!  CB9 seemed to be way off focus and although this is not a silver bullet it is a BIG step in the right direction - of course that is my opinion.  I was at the meeting on Tuesday and what I saw on many levels really underscored how much a change was needed. 
  • I'm very curious about this.
    And, mostly I want to know...

Is the new guy in favor of development or against it?
  • @bobmarvin, I am a poster who lives south of Eastern Parkway. I admit however I don't know much about how any of the CBs work, especially CB9. The amount of turnover is interesting in itself. 
  • I live south of EP.  I've been to one CB9 meeting and found it amusing, to say the least.  I was left wondering how anything gets done; less so as a result of the board itself, and more so as a result of the attendees who seem to use the opportunity to simply rant about everything and anything that bothers them, whether on the agenda/topic or not.

I hope the new leadership is for re-zoning, particularly where existing homes, as originally built in the early 1900s, are overbuilt under current zoning rules.
  • In my view, Community Boards are rarely powerful (or organized...) enough to effectively influence zoning or development.

They are merely advisory bodies, and their influence largely stems from the relationships they have established with the borough president.

But sometimes they are hugely entertaining.

Witnessing the entertainment provides a strong arguement AGAINST giving them actual power.
  • whynot_31 said:

Witnessing the entertainment provides a strong arguement AGAINST giving them actual power.

@whynot_31  Well said.
  • That's what's still confusing to me whynot. Because in my removed understanding, these board DO figure out ways to puppeteer what businesses come to a neighborhood.  It seems to me the SLA listens to community boards when deciding whether to offer a bar or restaurant a liquor license.   And the nightlife that opens up shop has a direct effect on the kinds of people that move to a neighborhood.  Denying a few liquor licenses (or imposing unreasonable conditions on bars to win board approval) has a domino effect that can stymy new development.   
  • Point: The boards are not powerless, and can inflict a degree of discomfort on prospective businesses they don't like. In some instances, this is enough to get prospective businesses to go elsewhere.

Counterpoint: In many cases, developers are merely required to present their buildings to the boards, but are under no obligation to abide by their concerns ...or even pretend as if they are listening.
  • It seems that CB9 is moving their board meetings to Medgar Evers College, Edison O Jackson Auditorium at 1638 Bedford Avenue.  This is where it is scheduled to be on September 23rd, 2014.  In the past, and for as long as I can remember, it was at Middle School 61 at 400 Empire Blvd.
  • That is a good way to send the message "under new management".
  • I'm also hoping it's a good way to change the mix of attendees.
  • @Southeast, it may change the faces, but not the types. No matter what these meetings seem to be frequented by the conspiracy theorists, those who believe that the boards have some sort of power they are choosing not to exercise, folks that hear voices and talk back to them, and a bunch of elderly residents who view it as free theater.
  • southeast said:

It seems that CB9 is moving their board meetings to Medgar Evers College, Edison O Jackson Auditorium at 1638 Bedford Avenue.  This is where it is scheduled to be on September 23rd, 2014.  In the past, and for as long as I can remember, it was at Middle School 61 at 400 Empire Blvd.

I might be more willing to go. It's right up the street from me and closer than MS 61. 

Maybe some of us should sit together as the Brooklynian contingent. :) 
  • Homeowner-
    Don't forget the people who got a $90 Sanitation ticket back in 2007, and are still angry that the Board did not help them fight it.

"I was not guilty the wind blew that trash in front of my house".

They find a way to mention it at most meetings. It was a very traumatic event.
  • homeowner said:@Southeast, it may change the faces, but not the types. No matter what these meetings seem to be frequented by the conspiracy theorists, those who believe that the boards have some sort of power they are choosing not to exercise, folks that hear voices and talk back to them, and a bunch of elderly residents who view it as free theater.

Hmmm...this experience sounds like the tenant meetings in my building, which makes it difficult for me to bear them. However, I
    do get something from the kernels of information that I gleam from such gatherings. There is something to be said about being part of the process as opposed to complaining when things don't go as planned but you never made the effort to participate or show up. 
  • The trick is to not complain about things AND not show up.
  • homeowner said:

@Southeast, it may change the faces, but not the types. No matter what these meetings seem to be frequented by the conspiracy theorists, those who believe that the boards have some sort of power they are choosing not to exercise, folks that hear voices and talk back to them, and a bunch of elderly residents who view it as free theater.

I'm hoping that the new venue will be far enough from those that have attended in the past looking for a soapbox or free theater that they will find the trek not worth their while.  While we may get new attendees of the same caliber, it will at least be different "stories."

Maybe some of us should sit together as the Brooklynian contingent. :) 

...but we all have different opinions ;)
  • If Homeowner is correct, some of the prior attendees may not be able to FIND the new location.
  • whynot_31 said:

If Homeowner is correct, some of the prior attendees may not be able to FIND the new location.

lol... hoping...
  • @Homeowner

You may also be missing another group: Seemingly sane folks who attend the meetings, and/or actually are a voting member of the CB.

I believe that these individuals are there for one of the following reasons:

1. They committed some horrible crime a long time ago, and they believe that by attending the CB mtgs, whatever deity they believe in will forgive them. By enduring lots of pain, they are atoning.

2. They are forced to come before the board and act like it has power, even though it has very little.

3. They enjoyed watching the Jerry Springer Show until it went off the air.
  • Well, the meetings do provide some insightful information from time to time.  For instance, when they present zoning issues or variance requests...  I, for one, don't attend unless I note something interesting in the agenda, and by interesting, I don't mean something relating to a taxi/car service company, etc.
  • I enjoyed the Jerry Springer Show.
  • Are cb9 meetings generally more entertaining than cb8?
  • I hope to hear someone elaborate on the proposal to move the NB B41 bus stop from Flatbush and Empire to Lincoln Road (where the gas station is). The Q mentions it in this post.  I don't think it's a good idea. 
  • FWIW that's the more heavily used end of the Prospect Park subway station (and the side with handicapped access) but, since I almost never use busses I have no horse in that race..
  • Are cb9 meetings generally more entertaining than cb8?

Different people find different things entertaining.   Personally, the type of entertainment I enjoy is very dependent upon my mood on a given day.

I look forward to CB9 offering a different kind of entertainment than it has in the past.  

...so to answer your question:   Time will tell.
  • I never found CB9 to be any more entertaining than it was productive. The absence of both attributes is why my tenure there was so brief.
  • We need a definition of "productive".

Is the purpose of a CB merely to given people something to do?

Or, is it capable of proving once and for all that consensus is only possible when lots of people are missing from a room?
  • bobmarvin said:

FWIW that's the more heavily used end of the Prospect Park subway station (and the side with handicapped access) but, since I almost never use busses I have no horse in that race..

I do have a horse in the race as I have no car. Moving the local stop, yes. Limited stop? No. Now if there were a B41 SBS, I can see why that may work.

I doubt such a move is going to curb the jaywalking on Flatbush (which seems to be driving the proposal).

I just put the CB9 meeting in my calendar, but no time is listed, @southeast. I'm assuming a 6 pm start time?
  • If you go, I request that you assign each attendee one of the motivations we have discussed and report back.

Thanks

• The first meeting of the circus with its new participants and ring master is tomorrow!

Date: September 23rd, 2014
    Time: 7:00pm
    Venue: Medgar Evers College, Edison O Jackson Auditorium
    Address: 1638 Bedford Avenue, corner of Crown Street
    Phone: 1-718-778-9279
    Email: bk09@cb.nyc.gov

• It should be a better show than usual, but, with the new leadership and more community interest something just might eventually be accomplished.

Tim's blog today has a lot about tomorrow's meeting:

• Don't discount entertainment as being an accomplishment.
  • Is Brooklynian going to have a section?
  • I may distribute cards throughout the place, and then leave with a false sense of superiority.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook