• http://theqatparkside.blogspot.com/2014/06/cb9-votes-in-almost-entirely-new.html

Any opinions about the massive changes at the Community Planning Board?
    FWIW I was a board member several years ago, became disenchanted with its operation, and was greatly relieved when I discovered I had been appointed to a short-term interim position, and chose not to re-apply. Perhaps the changes will help?

I guess most commenters here live north of Eastern Parkway and are in CB8, but there must be some, besides me, who live in Crown Heights South or Prospect Lefferts Gardens.
  • I am in Crown Heights South and I think this change is GREAT!  CB9 seemed to be way off focus and although this is not a silver bullet it is a BIG step in the right direction - of course that is my opinion.  I was at the meeting on Tuesday and what I saw on many levels really underscored how much a change was needed. 
  • I'm very curious about this.
    And, mostly I want to know...

Is the new guy in favor of development or against it?
  • @bobmarvin, I am a poster who lives south of Eastern Parkway. I admit however I don't know much about how any of the CBs work, especially CB9. The amount of turnover is interesting in itself. 
  • I live south of EP.  I've been to one CB9 meeting and found it amusing, to say the least.  I was left wondering how anything gets done; less so as a result of the board itself, and more so as a result of the attendees who seem to use the opportunity to simply rant about everything and anything that bothers them, whether on the agenda/topic or not.

I hope the new leadership is for re-zoning, particularly where existing homes, as originally built in the early 1900s, are overbuilt under current zoning rules.
  • In my view, Community Boards are rarely powerful (or organized...) enough to effectively influence zoning or development.

They are merely advisory bodies, and their influence largely stems from the relationships they have established with the borough president.

But sometimes they are hugely entertaining.

Witnessing the entertainment provides a strong arguement AGAINST giving them actual power.
  • whynot_31 said:

Witnessing the entertainment provides a strong arguement AGAINST giving them actual power.

@whynot_31  Well said.
  • That's what's still confusing to me whynot. Because in my removed understanding, these board DO figure out ways to puppeteer what businesses come to a neighborhood.  It seems to me the SLA listens to community boards when deciding whether to offer a bar or restaurant a liquor license.   And the nightlife that opens up shop has a direct effect on the kinds of people that move to a neighborhood.  Denying a few liquor licenses (or imposing unreasonable conditions on bars to win board approval) has a domino effect that can stymy new development.   
  • Point: The boards are not powerless, and can inflict a degree of discomfort on prospective businesses they don't like. In some instances, this is enough to get prospective businesses to go elsewhere.

Counterpoint: In many cases, developers are merely required to present their buildings to the boards, but are under no obligation to abide by their concerns ...or even pretend as if they are listening.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook