Goodbye parking garage by Park Slope food coop, hello condos
  • Given how hard it is to find parking in PS, I'd say there's a lot of gnashing of teeth.
  • I have to imagine that the garage on Union near PPW is next to go.
  • Another reason to avoid Union St.  Between a single lane each way, the double parked vehicles, and the cyclists that are taking up a full lane and going awfully slow as a result of the hill, Union is one of the worst streets in the area to use.  Whenever possible, I use 9th St.  

A little vent - Why can't cyclists stick to Berkeley and Lincoln which have bike lanes and are safer for everyone involved, including pedestrians trying to cross? 
  • I rarely drive or bike Union.

It doesn't take much imagination to see how nice these condos are going to be:

Photo: Real Deal
  • Southeast, I agree that cyclists should use the lanes on Berkeley and Lincoln, especially going uphill. That said, it's entirely within their/our rights to use the entire lane to avoid being squished into parked cars by impatient drivers, as I do when getting from 7th Ave to the Food Coop . ;)
  • @scrollie Agree 100%; cyclists have the right to, and should, use a full lane, particularly in tight spaces.  I cycle in that area as well, but I try to stick to bike lanes as much as possible.

I've seen cyclists going the full length of Union, not just a block or so to get to a destination which is on Union (i.e., the Coop).  If cyclists (me included) want non-cyclists to respect them, cyclists have to respect non-cyclists.  One way to do so is, wherever possible, avoid inconveniencing non-cyclists.   Cyclists don't always need to prove the point that they have the 'right;' it's counterproductive.  

Whenever I am driving through, I feel like I want to roll down my window and mention to cyclists that there is a bike lane one block over; however, I know they won't appreciate it, to say the least.
  • @southeast, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets the urge to tell people to detour a block or two for their own health and safety. Also, bikers stop dressing all in black and riding at night without reflectors AND lights. No one can see you, especially on streets with lots of trees and shadows. That goes for you too skateboarders.
  • In modern parlance, the behaviors described are known as "freedumb".

Meaning: To express ones rights to the degree that it places you (or your cause) in jeopardy.
  • How'd we get from agreeing that cyclists have a right to ride on Union but that they should probably use the nearby bike lanes when possible to just dismissing them as righteously incompetent? :)
  • You forgot the part about the parking garage.
  • homeowner, as a cyclist I rarely take Union because it is indeed unpleasant, but sometimes it's just the most practical route for the trip I'm taking (especially when coming taking the bridge from the other side of the Gowanus to somewhere beyond Grand Army Plaza, where taking a road with a bike lane would require multiple diversions), and I need to control the lane to avoid being doored. If you don't enjoy the speed at which I travel, I'd be glad to sign your petition to remove the uphill parking lane for a bike lane— a more-complete, easily-legible bike network benefits everyone.

But it's not my responsibility to memorize meandering, out-of-the-way side routes everywhere in the city because drivers are too impatient to share the road in a dense urban neighborhood where only the minority of households own cars.

Oh, and I for one am glad that they're building more rich people housing within rich people neigborhoods rather than relying on vacant lots and displacement in our neighborhood to take up all of Brooklyn's population growth. I'm also glad they're replacing auto parking with housing, of which our city is desperately short.
  • Ah, then all the plebeians will march on the rich people neighborhoods with pitchforks. A far better solution than more rich people neighborhoods in mixed-income housing / neighborhoods.
  • Ah, but you perhaps forget... Rich people, and the capitalists who cater to their desires, have greater access to lobbyists and thus greater sway with politicians than do poor people. The rich will almost certainly win out in the end. If they have to tear down affordable housing in order to build parking garages, that is what will happen.
  • Also another valid point the US is now a plutocracy. Who knows, by the next state and federal elections, it could be officially acknowledged.
  • What would The Nation publish every month if it is acknowledged?
  • @ehgee, afraid you're attributing that to the wrong person. I didn't suggest a petition, but was the one agreeing that I'd like to suggest people take a different route, especially when I see people laboring and looking less under control. Perhaps one where they didn't have to worry as much about getting doored? As for memorizing meadering out of the way routes, its usually the next block over or maybe two depending on which direction you're riding in (that grid thing usually makes it pretty easy to figure out).

As for the building of more rich people housing, I don't mind it. I just wish it was accompanied by the building of schools, hospitals, and seniors housing as the neighborhood will probably have more young people and old people in the comming years than it does now.
  • Many of the wealthy buying in NYC may not intend to actually live here. They may leave the property vacant, or rent it out.

The phenomena does not support the development of senior centers, schools and the like.

Related reading: http://nymag.com/news/features/foreigners-hiding-money-new-york-real-estate-2014-6/
  • @homeowner, your theoretical petition was my rhetorical device, not a genuine suggestion. But my point is that Union Street is unpleasant for bicyclists and drivers alike because the city chooses to use around half of its space for the free or lost-cost storage of private autos, not because of bicyclists making poor choices.

And Park Slope does have two new public elementary schools (the new one built on Fourth Ave, and the old Aquinas school), and I see a new high school under construction at Union Square, which will serve Park Slope considering that NYC kids often commute to middle & high schools.
  • Back to the original subject, the parking garage's closure, I think the biggest issue will be the displacement of all of those cars. I don't own a car, but think about how much worse street parking is going to get when they displace a few hundred monthly parkers. Yes, there's the garage at Union near PPW, the one on Flatbush near 8th (next to the Chase) and some others, but I doubt that there are enough garages with sufficient capacity to take them all in. Plus this was a nice, centrally-located Zipcar garage, so we'll potentially lose those Zipcars from the neighborhood.
  • I wonder if a valet parking service would be feasible.

Basically, I'd start a company which had a massive lot in ENY. Every Friday afternoon, my staff would drive cars to their owner's addresses in Park Slope and elsewhere.

Every Sunday, they would pick up the cars from the owners and bring them back to the lot.
  • Some car owners occasionally use their cars during the week. How would your fantasy valet service accommodate them?
  • Variations would be allowed.

You'd have to actually schedule us. I'd try not to hire the parking attendants featured in Farris Buelers Day Off.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XVACbEHkV2Q
  • Do any of those new buildings with 4th Ave. offer monthly public parking? I'd bet those brought a lot of new garage capacity online in Park Slope.

Or maybe some people will just sell their cars. I sold mine when I moved to the city, since it wasn't worth dealing with parking.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook