This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

illegal donation bins popping up everywhere - Page 4 — Brooklynian

illegal donation bins popping up everywhere

Comments

• The bin on Sterling between Bedford and Franklin is finally gone, fence and all! Joy. An eye sore no more. Most mornings someone was pulling the bags out to look for free stuff.
  • Someone tipped the one on Park between Franklin and Classon. image
  • Love this photo. Needs to be tagged repeatedly by a few dogs .
  • There's one at the corner of Park Place and Nostrand that I saw today. It looked kinda out of place so I didn't really trust it. Then I came across this!
  • edited June 2014
    BryceTC
    Yes it is out of place. The fence is an illusion of permanence  THe city does not approve of bolting fences to sidewalk at will without proper permits. Even if the owner believes he/she owns the sidewalk near his house a survey will often show the city owns it and only tolerates fences if requested. This bin should go too. took this picture of a truck unloading from that very bin.  Send in another request to Sanitation here;

p_00512
  • oh my heavens, these are the WORSt.
    I wanted to donate but hubby found so called 'american red cross' and looked on their site saw nothing about bins. At benson ave by 25th ave. There are some by 99shops on bath ave by 18thave. A few sitting at parking lot of khols/ceasar bay.

After more research found about Planet Aid that gives $5cents/lbs to Charity and rest pocket in.

These bins as mentioned above are unsigthtly,  when they are full they make a mess, and when see mess next you see garbage.

INSTEAD of stickers, the DOS should confiscate, melt the scrap metal.  How long will a scam exists if they have to keep making NEW bins?

I also like the other ideas of people placing recycling items and compost, that will make the items unsellable. The transports won't want to touch these things.
  • Part of the trouble is that the nearest legit thrift stores are the Housing Works and Goodwill, both of a bit of a schlep. Maybe we could find a business owner to host a legit thrift store donation bin on Franklin or Washington?
  • You are kidding right? Goodwill is on Fulton near Franklin and is not a schlep.   Donations should be effortless? It is on the way to subway, etc. Make a trip to Outpost of other Bed Sty watering hole for coffee or a beer and drop off along the way.

Goodwill

1104 Fulton St
    Brooklyn, NY 11238

• edited June 2014
    Here is the fun part:

The legit charities in the US (such as Goodwill) receive more clothing than they can sell locally. Many of them sell usuable, excess clothing donations to the exporters to be sold overseas, and receive minuscule profits for them. It is expensive to sort, discard and wash all of the clothing received.

So why are there all these bins everywhere?!

Goodwill and Salvation Army survive as a result of subsized labor. Many of the employees are in job training programs, and thus the entities are more dependent upon such contracts and $ donations than the sale of clothing.

On the otherhand, companies like Viltex survive as a result of their massive quantities of scale, and international supply chain linkages.

As a result, many of the reputable non profits are not interested in having addition bins, and find it hard to get upset over companies like Viltex.

To the outsider, it appears as if Viltex directly competes with Goodwill, but in actuality the Venn Diagrams overlap only to a degree.
  • I did not know that, Whynot.  Still, the bins should be marked honestly for what they are.  NOT dumped on our sidewalks as they please, perhaps placed at a gas station or lot.  I like the idea of a real storefront collection where by the companies participate in the communities rather than trash it. 
  • I believe the rent would be prohibitive.

I believe these stores are able to make money in high cost areas, mostly from the sale and donation of NON clothing items: Housewares, small appliances, etc.

"Cool retro clothing" also is a money maker.

...but such clothing is a tiny % of what is going in the local faux charity bins.
  • Well, if anyone has any large cotton sweaters they're thinking of giving away I would happily take them.  I unravel these sweaters then warp up the cotton yarns onto my loom and make handwoven items like dishcloths, tea towels, and scarves.  Denim or cotton bed sheets or curtains would also happily be of use in weaving rugs.  I'm a little leery of thrift stores for the bug factor.  And, Fulton and Franklin is nowhere near convenient for me and not near any trains I take.  
  • yup, tateinkbk i agree, there are other sections of brooklyn below prospect park..... intresting LOL

franklin and fulton are no way near me.   Besides it would be difficult to carry a huge load on train, try carring up the stairs.

For now I only go to salvation army thrift shop by nostrand when I rent a car, which is at least once a year.
  • edited June 2014
    hmmm, last week there was a bin overflowing on Washington avenue across from botanic garden,  right near the overpass of the Q train. i know someone that used to work for USAgain. he said that their business is so profitable that the bins are kind of a calculated casualty. They sell the clothes by the trailer. sometimes here sometimes down in Mexico, etc. and so by purchasing the trailer, you get a mixed bag if reselling to the public for profit. There might be gucci bags in one lot, but ragged clothes in another. The other side of their business is textile based. You know how upholstery and car seats have multi colored stuffing sometimes? That too is sold from what goes into the bins. So, if anyone here wants to donate items that they no longer want, please make sure you go to a reputable place that can give you a RECEIPT for your donation.

edited to add, some of the bins are on the corner near a bodega or a parking lot of a bigger company, the bins pay monthly rent to those guys.
  • i know someone that used to work for USAgain. he said that their business is so profitable that the bins are kind of a calculated casualty. They sell the clothes by the trailer. sometimes here sometimes down in Mexico, etc. and so by purchasing the trailer, you get a mixed bag if reselling to the public for profit. There might be gucci bags in one lot, but ragged clothes in another.
    I smell a reality show!
  • I want to play the successful guy in black.

• edited July 2014
    Here is the fun part:

The legit charities in the US (such as Goodwill) receive more clothing than they can sell locally. 
    Once I tried to drop off a bunch of items left over from my (now) deceased parents to Goodwill (on Livingston) around the winter holiday season. The staff told me up front that they didn't really have room for donations that that moment in time.

Both Goodwill locations are a little bit of a schelp for me. The journey to the one on Franklin is easier if you are carrying the items in a cart because it is 1) steps from the train station and 2) there is an elevator there. Can't say the same regarding the location on Livingston Street.

ETA: The one by the new TD Bank on Bedford Avenue was moved onto the sidewalk on Sullivan Place during construction. I want to send in a notice to DSNY but I wonder whether it will do any good.

Also, the unit on Sullivan Place behind that building that will be a new Walgreens is still there. The area has been fenced off, but people are still apparently dumping clothes there. Some of it is even getting caught on the top of the fence. I wonder how to proceed.

I find it outrageous that the only way of reporting it in this day and age is via U.S. mail. Really? 

• wish i had my camera. Saw a sanitation truck picking up 3 clothing bins along Washington AveTand Atlantic this morning. Would like to be able to share this moment. They did it the hard way though with a hydraulic cable and dragged it onto truck. they need a fork lift.
  • I can't be the only one who has concluded this thread has made it really obvious why these bins are proliferating.

• Is there no online submission form? Is .gov that archaic? Anyways, saw one in North PS, so whomever this company is they have long tentacles.
    There is now:

DSNY's Collection Bin Removal Request Form:
    (online form, not a pdf to be printed and mailed)

• Someone wasn't happy about the pink bin on Park between Classon and Washington, since I saw it knocked over this morning.  How light are these things that someone tipped it over? 
  • Newguy posted a photo of that bin on the prior page.

The bins are quite heavy, and without the use of equipment, very difficult to move as far as the street.

A pallet jack (discussed above) is problematic in terms of availability and discreetness.

However, one could flip the bin onto a really well made furniture dolly, move it, and then dump it in a nearby space on the street.

• And thusly was the legend born of El Carneviento, mad tipper of outlaw donation bins.
  • edited July 2014
    El Carnevientos.

I believe three people would be needed to tip a bin onto a well made furniture dolly.

If the tippers were intoxicated, it might take between two and sixteen people.

• Say...for example...after a certain gathering on the 17th...
  • I am only responsible for my own behavior on July 17th, and every other day.