Street cleaning once a week instead of twice, what do you think?
  • I am wondering when we will see a change in the schedule whereby side streets are cleaned only once on each side per week. They have done this in other hoods. When will it come here? Does anyone know how to request this consideration or do you have a good reason we should keep it as it is?
  • The reason why we do not have once a week street cleaning is because our neighborhood is filled with litterbugs. There is some metric that the Dept. of Sanitation comes up with, based on how much debris they collect during the street cleanings. We have to get under a certain tonnage of debris for 24 consecutive months in order to qualify for once a week street cleaning. CHN/CB8 has not been able to get under that number. Until our residents start to restrict their littering, we cannot have the once a week cleanings that lead to only moving our cars once a week. :(
  • There is a silver lining to having street cleaning often - 'park and ride' commuters stay out of the area leaving spots for residents throughout the day.
  • This issue has come up frequently at the CB 8 Sanitation Committee.  The chair investigated the situation and made two discoveries.  1. our score on the monthly cleanliness rating was below the level required to switch to once a week cleaning. however 2. there seemed to be push back from sanitation about dong only once a week cleaning as the union felt it might decrease the number of jobs for its workers.
    My personal preference: get rid of mechanical brooms (the City's euphemism for those big machines they use to clean the streets) and replace them with guys or gals with push carts.  This approach has worked well for business districts where the "we can" workers are a regular presence.  Why not for the Sanitation Dept?
    Switching to push cards means: 1. more jobs for sanitation workers  2. less pollution for our air  3. less wear and tear on our streets.
    Wouldn't you rather have our tax money spent to hire workers instead of maintaining heavy, smelly, diesel guzzling "mechanical brooms"?  I'm just saying..........
  • Being for twice a week street cleaning is consistent with making the city a more difficult and expensive place to own a car.

In a few years, I think we will see organized push back from the areas that are not served well by public transportation.
  • I dunno - those areas not served by public transportation are likely those areas where people need to park a car in the evening, and use it again in the morning.  In my experience, areas with more frequent street cleaning favors those kind of daily users - at the expense of those of us who'd love to leave a car out in the street all week, saving it for more indulgent purposes on the weekends. 

Once-a-week was a boon to all the volvos and subarus of Park Slope, allowing them to sleep all week before a hard weekend's antique-hunting in dutchess county...   :)
  • It wasn't always once a week in Park Slope. They once had twice a week like us.  i thought the twice a week thing was to get the old cars off the road. It it didn't run it would be towed. I remember a time before street cleaning in PS when cars with flats filled my block.
  • The once-a-week cleaning works in neighborhoods that are less dense than ours, with less trash (twice weekly pickups rather than three times a week on my block, for example) and with more homeowners regularly sweeping up their curbs. Even with twice-a-week street cleanings, I see lots of trash on my street.  
  • I agree, notinlikeabklyngirl. I am conflicted because I would LOVE to not have to worry about our car, but I also think that reducing our street cleaning schedule would result in huge wads of trash everywhere.

It makes me really mad to see litterbugs in action.
  • Where I grew up (Australia) we didn't have street cleaners in the residential neighborhoods because people didn't litter. I would object to reducing the frequency here because there is already too much litter on the streets, including carelessly discarded food scraps which attracts rats and raccoons, including the omnipresent chicken bones waiting to kill some poor dog.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook