965 Washington Avenue's Land Triangle
  • Has anyone heard what will be built on the little triangle of land near this building? I know if was for sale (via auction) and then it sold. I passed by the other day and the land was cleared. This land hugs the train tracks. An odd little piece of land.
  • Looking North on Washington, the garden is on the left and this lot is the vegetation covered lot on the right:

Screen shot 2014-06-02 at 3.43.23 PM

It strikes me as being too small to build on.    

Does anyone known if it could be purchased for its development rights?   

Could I then build a penthouse that overlooked the gardens on one of the nearby buildings?  
  • Believe it or not, approved plans have existed for this lot for some time.... I can't say if this development is happening or belongs to the current owner.

ready
  • Thanks! Looks like this building is going to be super tight, unless they plan on tearing down the building next door. I couldn't zoom into this to tell. The lot simply looks so small for this building.
  • These plans remind me of that tiny lot at Underhill and St. John's.

The plans were drawn up just before the 2008 bubble burst, and involved a building that would have been really expensive on a PSF basis to construct and maintain. Today, the lot still sits vacant.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/33863/314-st-johns-place/p1
  • Long time lurker... I never thought my first post would be about that odd little triangle on Washington. 

Anyway, I remember seeing the auction sign come and go and I now see that plywood boards have gone up in place of the fence that was there. 

Do we think someone is actually building something there?
  • Welcome MasTacos.

It does appear as if something is being built. The nearby shuttle tracks will make this a complicated excavation and project.

It is unclear to me whether this little lot has its own street address. Do the work permits on the fence list 965?
  • I have answered my own question: 995 Washington Avenue is the lot's address. Here are photos of how small it is:

• When the site was available for auction, this rendering was provided as being approved:

2827af5fb03a4aaa97089c916283c67c

• The author/urban planner Jeff Speck bought a similar piece of land and built a pretty cool house on it in DC:
  • The top two floors should get views of some tree tops in the garden.

Good light.
  • Thanks for the photos. I agree it looks like it will be hard to build there, there really isn't much space on either side of the lot.
  • That lot looks so tiny. And I wonder if there will be a lot of noise from the shuttle train.
  • Waterbeds there will get a good wave every time the train passes.
  • The palm trees look nice in the picture.  Do they guarantee a tropical atmosphere year round?  That could be worth the price tag..
  • I like the window riiiight in the corner of the triangle.
  • Hopefully they will have a cat.      A cat would love napping in that window.
  • That would be a small and triangle-shaped cat.
  • they have noses designed to fit in triangles

cat
  • This is true!

...finding an appropriate furniture might be harder...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook