We are getting a new bake shop on Bergen near Washington: It's being opened by BCake!
  • On Washington Ave (near Bergen) there is a storefront you have probably never been in, despite it being brightly lit and having lots of activity inside.   It's a bakery that makes custom cakes for retirements, weddings, and other events:   www.bkcakeny.com

Just around the corner, (at 740 Bergen) they will soon be opening a shop for cravings that are more spontaneous and immediate in nature.     

"We are looking forward to seeing you all & instantly satisfying your sweet cravings. We will offer cupcakes, pastries, small cakes, cake pops, paletas & much more e.g. cake classes & cake decorating birthday parties - STAY TUNED!"

The new shop will be at the site of Just Deserts, a coffee shop type place that went under a few years ago.

Screen shot 2014-06-22 at 12.21.48 PM
  • Yayyyyy!!!! Please keep us updated. ;-)
  • I know the ladies opening this place up. They all do fabulous food and deserts and I'm sure the place will be great.
  • Their existing business is quite successful.
  • BCakeNY had a storefront further up Washington, 702, between Prospect and St Marks. I never had the chance to sample them, because they were custom and by appointment only, but I heard good things about them. 

D's Just Desserts was open as recently as September -- at least the smaller takeout storefront on Bergen itself -- when I got an assortment of their boozy cupcakes for a going away party. I believe they were known for a Hennessy cupcake but also had flavors like blueberry schnapps. Based on its Twitter feed, looks like it closed in March: https://twitter.com/dsjust_desserts. Glad we'll still have yummy things on that corner.
  • Hmm. I may have thought Just Desserts had been closed a while because they were not open during the evening.
  • A little-known fact about BCake's existing storefront is that while they do focus on their decorative/commercial business, they do keep a stash of freshly baked cupcakes in the back that they'll sell to walk-in customers. My wife & I have had them, and they're pretty damned good. We're happy to see that they're expanding to a full retail storefront.
  • They hope to make it happen, in part, thru a kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/478513642/bcakeshop
  • This is exciting!  BCake is great and the owners are very supportive of the community - regularly donating cupcakes and other treats to many of the local public schools for celebrations and fundraising.  Hopefully the community will return that support as they expand!

• I expect their business to go head to head with the fancy cupcake shop coming to the former Pena location on Vanderbilt.

Here's a rendering from their Facebook page:
    1025384_10152566766759617_8240523935145480182_o
  • Spoke to one of the owners and she indicated that in addition to the retail business they are going to be offering classes and demonstrations. Should be a great addition to the neighborhood.
  • Kick starter is working well for them:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/478513642/bcakeshop?ref=email

Looks like they are going to reach their goal.
  • Oh boy. Two new bakeries that sell booze-infused cakes in the neighborhood? Butter and Scotch better not do the same thing or I'll be at risk for not only diabetes but also alcoholism...
  • Spirited and B&S seem as if they will be places to get desert after dinner, whereas BCake seems like it will be an upscale shop.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook