Here comes 1519 Bedford between Eastern Parkway and Lincoln (formerly a gas station and a car wash)
  • 1525 Bedford
    1519 Bedford
    1521 Bedford
    1535 Bedford
    Crown Heights

"The site, which includes 500 feet of wrap-around frontage, is a block-through space on the eastern side of Bedford Avenue between Lincoln Place and Eastern Parkway.

The zoning designation offers a combined as-of-right buildable square footage of 110,203 s/f. There is an opportunity for a developer to increase total buildable square footage by 34,201 s/f taking part in NYC’s Inclusionary Housing Program.

An asking price isn’t listed for the property, but industry sources say the site could fetch $30 to $35 million. Prices in Brooklyn have risen significantly in recent months, a trend Knakal sees continuing."

Source: http://www.rew-online.com/2014/07/08/development-site-hits-market-in-new-brooklyn-tech-hub/

This brings the number of large developments I am watching up to 16:   http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44634/links-to-the-big-16-developments-in-western-crown-heights/p1
  • OMG! where will all the people who need to wash there car every other minute go?  This is so unfair.
  • To ease the transition, should the management of the car wash start playing this song by the Brady Bunch?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MKEQm10-n84

• Is this zoned commercial (so hotel, storage, etc.) or is can this be residential?
  • Residential is allowed.

The lot was upzoned as part of the most recent rezone. It was discussed here:

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/37919/crown-heights-west-zoning-and-naming-fun/p1

And, frankly, just a matter of time before the owner of the site decided to cash in.
  • So, in the end, the City Council has the final say, not City Planning, the Board of Standards and Appeals, the Community Board, the Mayor or the Boro President.
    The Trojan Horse for me that came as a surprise in all this was the upzoning of Franklin Avenue, which went from R6B to R7A.  That means that, according to the Zoning Handbook issued by the Dept of City Planning, that the FAR goes from 2.0 to 4.0 and the maximum height goes to 80 feet from 50 feet.  Fro example under the old R6B zoning, the owner of the vacant lot on 730 Franklin Avenue that used to be  a community garden, could have built a 5,4000 sf building.  Under the new 7A zoning, a 10,800 sf building can be built.  Just to make that real, at the going rate of $800 per sf, the old zoning would have allowed a building worth $4.32 million. Under that new zoning, a building on that lot would be worth $8.64 million, an increase in value of $4.32 million.  
    If you think the owners, 730 Franklin LLC in Woodmere NY aren't pleased, think again, especially when you consider they bought the vacant lot from Vithal Dande on 8-21-12 for just $800,000.
  • In 2016, this immediate area may be one of the busiest construction areas in Brooklyn:

1. A large building will be under construction at the site of the former theater (Lincoln and Bedford).

2. The armory will be repurposed.

3. The car wash gas station site.

4. The gas station that used to be on the SW corner of EP and Bedford that is rumored to become a hotel.

Four members of the Big 16 are in the immediate area: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44634/links-to-the-big-16-developments-in-western-crown-heights/p1
  • I am pleased it will be gone as I stopped running on that sidewalk due to the soap on it. i have slipped. I also hate that I have to cross the street with my stroller or risk getting hit by opening door from hand drying clerks.  I was pleased when they finally got thier business out of the bike lane but then the sidewalk became unwalkable by the block.    Once they changed the bussiness from automated drying inside the building to hand drying outside their bussiness outgrew their property line.  I heard last year that this was in the works from Letitia James office so I have been waiting.  And this move will make north bound traffic crossing EP on Bedford smoother.
  • Now if they can just get the cars off the illegal parking lot on the sidewalk in front of Chase and the Pharmacy, this will not be a dreaded pedestrian zone. Oh, also a pedestrian crossing signal on the North side of EP would be helpful so pedestrians are not at risk of being run over by cars with the green left turning arrow. 
  • Oh Yes. We have to preserve the pedestrian safety crossing Bedford. 4 crosswalks and no regard for walkers. A couple signs ; 'yield to Pedestrians' should be minimal.
  • Details about the site, some cool photos, and a form to sign if you are a real estate agent who would like the commission from selling a property for around $30M:

http://www.masseyknakal.com/listingimages/setup/pdf/1525_Bedford_Avenue_-_Setup__Broker_CA.pdf

The car vacuums alone must be worth $50!
  • If this effort was successful, the realtors received a few bids by their July 30th deadline:

http://www.masseyknakal.com/listingimages/setup/pdf/1525_Bedford_Avenue_-_Setup__Principal_CA.pdf

...and any day now, we will see either media about the sale taking place, or some new ads for a buyer.
  • Apparently, it sold for $50m.  The garage will be closed in two weeks and the gas station and car wash by the end of December.

I just went to get my oil changed, and it comes with a free car wash.  I asked the cashier how long I have to use it, and he said that I have 2 weeks as they are closing.  I asked if the property sold, and he said yes.  When I went back to my car, I pried a little more - The man working on the car told me that the property sold for $50m a couple months back, and that it will all be closed by the end of December with the garage going first in two weeks.
  • Thanks @southeast!

I'll forward this on to DNA, Curbed and Brownstoner. Hopefully they can figure out who the architect is and score some renderings.
  • @whynot_31 - Is there a chance the buyer will sit on this until the armory is decided (similar to the southwest corner)?
  • I believe this will become high end residential , with possibly some below market units as a result of being in the "voluntary inclusive zoning" zone.

So, I don't think the developer will wait to see what shape the armory will take.

I suspect the developer is lining up additional investors, talking with an architect, and meeting with the city re: whether the FAR bonus is worth the expenses.

• I wasn't able to find anything on ACRIS.
  • It will likely be in Brownstoner, Curbed, and YIMBY before it appears on the Finance site or the DOB's site.
  • @whynot_31 - Any preliminary feedback from your contacts at Curbed and Brownstoner?
  • Hopefully they will run an article on it soon. They make phone calls, and have things like editors that try to ensure facts are involved.

• Great. And by great I mean this sucks. 
  • clayfilms said:

Great. And by great I mean this sucks. 

Curious... Why?

• southeast said:

clayfilms said:

Great. And by great I mean this sucks. 

Curious... Why?

Because people with cars appreciate gas stations. Gas, air for your tires, oil changes etc... Very useful for people with cars. 
  • I wasn't sure if you were lamenting on new development or the loss of a gas station.  I will miss the gas station as well, but I look forward to the development.
  • Considering I walk by here (and have to dodge all the cars, constantly fearing for my life) far more often than I get gas, I will not miss this place. There's always the 5 gas stations on Atlantic Ave close by. 
  • good bye car wash. I won't miss your slippery soapy sidewalks I will finally be able to use them
  • @Dawndew,

The soapy sidewalks are just the surface (literally).

I bet when the developers eventually demolish the car wash and start excavating to lay the foundation for whatever they build there, the soil underneath will be full of many alphabets worth of chemicals. I wouldn't want to be living downwind of there when they are digging it up.
  • grwd said:

@Dawndew,

The soapy sidewalks are just the surface (literally).

I bet when the developers eventually demolish the car wash and start excavating to lay the foundation for whatever they build there, the soil underneath will be full of many alphabets worth of chemicals. I wouldn't want to be living downwind of there when they are digging it up.

I believe that any buyer would demand a Environmental Report which would require that all tanks be tested for leaks. Also, NYState DEP and NYC OEC has strict requirements for the land under residential property. It is up to the owners of the property to prove that to the authorities before any permits would be approved. 

This one may not be quick. . . . 
  • Pedestrians also often lose the use of the sidewalk during construction.

The earliest we can probably look forward to a new, obstruction-free, soap-free sidewalk is 2017.
  • I talked with some of the car wash guys on Thursday. They confirmed it is closing in a few weeks. When asked where they would find work, one of them stated "I'll find something. I always do. I haven't been here that long."
  • I assume just the car wash is now closed.

Then, the convenience store and the actual gas pumps close.
  • Everything is closed.  Kaput..
  • Got it. RIP massive car wash and gas station.

...next up, plywood fencing and environmental cleanup crews. Let's see if they can start pouring a foundation by June 1.
  • whynot_31 said:

Hopefully they will run an article on it soon. They make phone calls, and have things like editors that try to ensure facts are involved.

I haven't come across any articles yet.  Curious as to the ultimate sale price and what their plans are.  I guess it is remaining a secret, for now.
  • Hopefully the closure of the gas station will create some press, which will then create some leaks and/or research.
  • Funny how only one person here mentioned the loss of jobs for all the people who worked there. But hey, it won't be slippery when you run on that block anymore!
  • Plywood is going up.  It seems like it will all be up by the end of the day.
  • Funny how only one person here mentioned the loss of jobs for all the people who worked there. But hey, it won't be slippery when you run on that block anymore!

I'll take this opportunity to mention how many jobs this building will create (future retail, maintenance, etc.) and how development does wonders for the economy as a whole. However, it is truly unfortunate to be on the short end of the stick.  I hope the individuals affected find new jobs quickly, if they so choose (the guy I spoke to said that he was retiring and that 20+ years working on cars was enough for him). 
  • Dec 25th is a perfect day for a green painted, plywood fence festival:

Looking east from Bedford, along EP:

At EP and Bedford, looking North:

• From Lincoln:
  • whynot_31 said:

It will likely be in Brownstoner, Curbed, and YIMBY before it appears on the Finance site or the DOB's site.

The winner is The Real Deal.

We now know how large the building that is coming will be.

quote:
    Adam America Real Estate is planning to erect a 133-unit mixed-use building in Crown Heights, according to a permit application filed with the city today [January 27th].

The site at 1535 Bedford Avenue is currently home to a gas station and car wash.

The new building will rise eight stories and include 14,669 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor and 91,337 square feet of residential space. Issac & Stern Architects is designing the project.

The second and third floors will each have 28 apartments, while the fourth and fifth floors will hold 17 each. The seventh and eighth floors will have 13 apartments apiece. The permit application designates the rooftop as tenant recreation space.

Representatives from Adam America did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Adam America and Slate Property Group recently launched sales at Dumbo’s 51 Jay Street, as The Real Deal reported. The developer is also building a $65 million, 75,000-square-foot mixed-use property at 120 Union Avenue.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/01/27/adam-america-developing-130-unit-crown-heights-building/

• Thanks @whynot_31.  

Seems to be missing a 6th floor.
  • Any word to price paid for the land?  ACRIS still doesn't have anything.
  • Hopefully some other website with paid staff will do a follow-up story.

Until then, I am going to state that I would use the mysterious 6th floor to store the ingredients for the commercial space, and that I would lease the commercial space a brew pub.

...that should get people talking.
  • @southeast

southeast said:

Any word to price paid for the land?  ACRIS still doesn't have anything.

$32.5M.

Also:
    "In order to take advantage of zoning bonuses that will bring the residential component up to about 144,000 square feet, Mr. Sachs said 20% of the project will be affordable housing."

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20150127/REAL_ESTATE/150129856/bklyn-gas-station-to-pump-new-rez-building

As we have discussed, "affordable housing" is a loaded term. Let's use the term "below market rate housing" instead.

Readers, this site is one of approximately 16 large developments west of Nostrand in Crown Heights that I track: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44634/links-to-the-big-16-developments-in-western-crown-heights/p1

• I've said this before... Bedford between St. Johns and President is going to be a really nice place in the near future. 
  • 14,669 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor should help; that is the size of decent drug store.

Also the building being built where the theater was should provide a lot of change: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44893/here-comes-1515-bedford-at-lincoln/p1
  • So, just confirming my understanding...This will be a rental building, not condos, right?
  • whynot_31 said:

14,669 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor should help; that is the size of decent drug store.

Also the building being built where the theater was should provide a lot of change: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44893/here-comes-1515-bedford-at-lincoln/p1

And the future of thee empty lot on the southwest corner of EP; and the armory for which we should know what the plans are in a couple days...
  • So, just confirming my understanding...This will be a rental building, not condos, right?

@naturegirl -
    Yes, it will be rental.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20150127/REAL_ESTATE/150129856/bklyn-gas-station-to-pump-new-rez-building

• Edc....I need to know what the armory plans are!!!!
  • As I recall, part of this deal included space for the chuch in the new building. 6th floor?
  • @dmiami
    We are talking about the former car wash and gas station.

The building that is believed to have a deal with the church is the former theater:  http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44893/here-comes-1515-bedford-at-lincoln/p1
  • A puff piece that is seemingly written by TerraCRG, stating how great they are, and implying that they can have similar success with a property that you own that needs to be sold:

http://www.globest.com/news/12_1034/newyork/acquisitions_dispositions/Development-Site-Sold-in-Crown-Heights-354737.html
  • I don't know if people understand the size of a 144,404 sq ft building.
  • It's as big as 100 houses (at least 1950s-sized houses).
  • This site will provide 133 units of housing.  But unlike the 1950s, no one will have to wear a suit everywhere, like they did in Leave It To Beaver or Happy Days.
  • The Seacrest site on Franklin will be 168,000 sq ft, with 209 units spread across 4 individual towers that share a first floor.  Each 7 stories tall.     
  • Yes, that will be bigger. However, it is not built yet, so I am not sure that local readers have a perspective of how large it will be.

Maybe the building that is mostly complete on St. Marks will give them an idea?

It is presently 113,000 sq ft and 8 stories high. Pictures of it can be seen here, and by going to Compare:
    http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/34884/compare-supermarket-brings-in-the-builders&nbsp#Item_69

...whereas the buiding we are discussing on this thread will be 8 stories and 144,000 sq ft.

In comparison, this building will have approximately the same height, better views because it is on a hill, and bigger units.
  • And this is what Adam America is planning for Williamsburg - http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/02/yimby-today-adam-america-acquires-781-metropolitan-for-williamsburg-residential-building-more.html

781-Metropolitan-3-e1416827781614

781 Metropolitan Avenue [The Real Deal]: Adam America has paid $23 million for 781 Metropolitan Avenue, in eastern Williamsburg, pushing their plans for an eight-story, 81-unit mixed-use building closer to reality. A single-story structure must first be demolished, and completion is expected in late 2016.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/01/29/adam-america-buys-east-williamsburg-white-castle-for-23m/

Should we expect something similar looking?

• Mods: Can we split the recent comments to a "Here comes 1535 Bedford, between Eastern Parkway and Lincoln" thread? Or rename?
  • As the creator of the thread, I have such powers. :)
  • RE: Should we expect something similar looking?

Maybe?

"Our" new building will have commercial space on the first floor. EP is only allowed to have professional spaces face it (healthcare, schools, houses of worship, banks).

The Starbucks at EP and Franklin opens to Franklin as a result of this rule.

So, we should keep that in mind.

• So the Dunkin Donuts and T-Mobile that open up to Eastern Parkway and Nostrand are considered 'professional'? (scratches head)
  • Nope.

Dunkin Donuts may have gotten around said rule by being grandfathered. It's door also actually opens at an angle (perhaps angled slightly more on Nostrand than EP).

T-Mobile only has an emergency exit that opens on EP. Its actual entry door opens to Nostrand.

Here's streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/dBOrX
  • is this a recent rule?  That Dunkin Donuts is a newer establishment.  

That being said - in other words you can muck up Eastern Parkway just as long as you put the door on the side street.  One of those trick things where an ordinance is written to make people happy but irrelevant because of all the ways around - Kinda like the Trader Joes in the city getting around the liquor store requirement by having separate entrances.  

Gotta love bureaucracy and government!  
  • In addition to the angle door trick, Dunkin Donuts is in an old building. The building (not the business) would have rec'd the grandfathering.

While you may think that EP is kinda vague and weird in what types of businesses are allowed by the zoning code, the M1 zone is far more messed up. http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44390/eyes-are-again-on-the-m-1-zone-in-crown-heights/p1

Now, let's return to discussing 1535 Bedford so we don't drive the mods nuts.
  • My bad!  tee hee
  • Today, a plumbing contractor is working inside the convenience store that was on this site.

I assume he is doing some work to prep it for demolition:   Cut off natural gas supply, shut off water inflow and sewage outflow.

The hydraulic lifts and other equipment are still in the garage, and I expect someone to want them before demolition occurs.  ...surely someone needs a hydraulic lift.
  • The final demo permit was secured a few weeks ago, but heavy equipment has yet to arrive:

By the way, we received some more details:

"eight-story building with 172 units, 32 of which will be affordable housing, and 25,000 square feet of retail space.  Among the amenities: underground parking, a gym, a roof deck and a basketball court."

http://www.amny.com/real-estate/crown-heights-real-estate-continues-to-boom-1.10033129

That is more retail than previously discussed.

• The full details from YIMBY:

"In late January, an application was submitted by Issac & Stern Architects for a new eight-story residential building at 1535 Bedford Avenue, developed by Adam America Real Estate.

Now, YIMBY has obtained a rendering of the building set to rise on the northeastern corner of Bedford Avenue and Eastern Parkway, in the heart of Crown Heights. With a 1519 Bedford Avenue street address, the main structure is rectangular, rising atop a retail base that meets the intersection at the same acute angle as its somewhat irregular lot.

According to the building permit application, the project will have 133 apartments – clearly rentals – spread over a bit more than 91,000 square feet of residential space, for an average unit size of just under 690 square feet – about as small as the zoning code will allow for new buildings. The second and third floors will have 28 apartments each, with larger units up top (floors four through six have 17 units each, with 13 on the top two floors)."

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/03/revealed-1535-bedford-avenue-crown-heights.html

The renderings:
  • YIMBY: Revealed: 1535 Bedford Avenue, Crown Heights - http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/03/revealed-1535-bedford-avenue-crown-heights.html

It is going to use the 1519 Bedford Avenue street address.

1519bedford1
    1519bedford2
    1519bedford3
  • In this photo, Eastern Parkway runs along the right side of the building

1519bedford1

Whereas here is a recent aerial shot with EP directly in front of the site:

If the building going in at the former theater is depicted accurately, the top three floors of this "BP" building should have nice views of Manhattan.

• Crown Heights gets a building with a penthouse. Moving on up...
  • I think it is really nice looking. Much better than the BP...
  • I believe there are a couple of buildings on Classon that have penthouses.  565 Prospect in the Jewish Hospital definitely has one.  I'm always curious what it's like up there. 
  • I took these photos from the roof of the new 8 story building at Franklin and EP, when I posed as a potential renter:

I imagine the view from the penthouse of 1519 Bedford will be similar.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook