893 Dean St to become arts performance space ...located btwn Grand and Classon
  • I am pleased to spread the rumor that an application for a Beer/Wine lic has reportedly been requested for 893 Dean St.

It was applied for under the name of Global Square.

893 Dean Street is located between Grand and Classon, and is quite a large site, that is presently functioning as an indoor parking garage and -um- outdoor junk/parking lot.

East side of site:

http://bed-stuy.patch.com/listings/dean-street-parking#photo-2026780

West side of site:

http://www.propertyshark.com/mason/Property/148119/893-Dean-St-Brooklyn-NY-11238/

This site makes me believe that all of the lots were listed for sale in 2012, by Corcoran for $3.5M

6 contiguous lots available for development in Prospect Heights Lot size is 194x110, approximately 21340 sq. ft. Zoned M1-1

http://www.blocksy.com/nyc/townhouse/83666-893-dean-street

The validity of this rumor will be confirmed on Monday, April 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM at CNR-Center Light Health Care Center, which is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places). ...when the CB8 Liquor Lic subcommittee meets.

• Hmm a Liquor subcommittee meeting on April Fools Day, on a Monday no less,seems like a bad omen. But I really hope we get a new beer garden.

• The mtg seems to always occur on the first Monday of the month. It just so happens that the first Monday of April is the 1st.

SLA & SIDEWALK CAFE REVIEW COMMITTEE

Chairperson: Mr. Alton Pierce

Meeting Day: 1st Monday of the Month

Time: 7:00 p.m.

Place: CNR-Centerlight Healthcare Center in the ATRIUM

727 Classon Avenue (bet.Park Place and Prospect Place)

Responsibilities include the following:

Review and discuss both new and renewal applications for establishments seeking liquor licenses from New York State Liquor Authority for clubs, bars, restaurants, local grocery stores, and other establishments in the District

Review and discuss applications for Dept. of Consumer Affairs Sidewalk Cafe permits and Dept. of City Planning Enclosed Sidewalk Cafe permits.

http://www.brooklyncb8.org/meetings.php

If anyone is actually planning to attend, they should note that it is unclear whether this mtg begins at 6 or 7 PM.

• Can we talk about the scariest house in Brooklyn - 883 Dean Street? The middle of the three row houses in the second picture above?

The one whose entire front yard is surrounded by a 16 ft tall corrugated steel fence -- topped with barbed wire?!

I've always wondered what the hell they're hiding/protecting behind that wall...

• whynot_31 said:

The mtg seems to always occur on the first Monday of the month. It just so happens that the first Monday of April is the 1st.

I figured as much but still struck me as kinda funny.

• Anything to bring street life to those blocks is great, they're sketchy as all hell. One of my first times visiting Crown Heights was biking over one night to a friend's place near Bedford via the Dean/Bergen bike lanes-- the blocks around Classon made me feel like I'd get tackled off my bike or something.

• A big part of the problem is that the area is not zoned for residential, and manufacturing isn't something that NYC still excels at.

Many of the car repair and storage businesses are holdovers from the 1960s, when Bedford Ave and the surrounding area used to be one of THE PLACES in Brooklyn to buy a new car, or get work done on your broken car.

As a result, no one is supposed to be living in the zone. So, if it makes you feel any better, 883 Dean is hopefully the home of some guy's construction or welding business ...not his actual home.

This link states this it is the home of Laredo Construction. http://www.superpages.com/bp/Brooklyn-NY/Laredo-Construction-L0002594876.htm

As the surronding area become wealthier, the definition of "manufacturing use" is likely to become fluid.

For example, the new owner of 893 Dean is reportedly proposing that s/he be allowed to manufacture jobs, taxes, profit and mildly intoxicated people ...and is confident enough that s/he will be able to do it that they paid a lot of money for the lots.

• It seems we are going to have to wait a bit longer re: confirmation of this rumor.

Basically, as I understand the process, an entity must notify the local Community Board of its intention to request a liq permit of the SLA .

Then, the entity presents in front of the CB, which decides whether to support the application. The Liq Authority doesn't have to listen to the CB.

In this case, the entity is not yet ready to go before the CB. So, we will learn more about this in May.

• Update: The folks who have filed this application also have two other establishments with liquor licenses:

The General Green, located at 299 Waverly Ave, Brooklyn

http://www.thegeneralgreene.com/

Heritage Wines, 237 Dekalb, Brooklyn

...a wine store

• Folks interested in learning more about their ideas for 893 Dean can attend:

The SLA & Sidewalk Café Review Committee.

Monday, May 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM.

CNR-Center Light Health Care Center, which is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places).

• After several delays, the folks who are planning this project will described it on June 3rd, at the CB8 SLA committee mtg.

...this project continues to be in the works!

• The owners didn't present at the June 3rd mtg EITHER.

April- No show.

May - No Show

June - No Show

So, it would not surprise me if this dream does not take place.

• Update: They showed up on Monday!

Wow, it took them an entire year to move forward.

Press:
    http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140305/crown-heights/artists-plan-convert-crown-heights-auto-body-shop-into-concert-venue

However, even though they finally showed up, CB8 wanted more info ...and Global Square's owners have to come back before the committee before it decides whether to advise the SLA to support it.

This place sounds like it will replace that large venue that 3rd Ward was going to operate, before it went bust.
  • They have started communicating with folks about the progress they are making:

And have given us a photo of their cast of characters:
  • As a result of the process described above, they received a beer and wine lic.

They are now beginning the process of requesting a full liquor lic.

The SLA & Sidewalk Café Review Committee will meet on Monday, June 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM at CNR-Center Light Health Care Centerwhich is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places). 
  • They didn't show up on June 2nd.

However, work on the space continues.

They recently installed a Pizza Oven: http://gsquare.org/post/88501979171/what-weighs-3-tons-6-000-lbs-took-10-men-and-2
  • I went on a tour of the space today. It will have several performance spaces, as well as a bar and a restaurant. They are looking to open part if it in Dec 2014, and then the rest of it in Spring 2015.

They said the outdoor space could be used to eat pizza and drink alcohol, but seemed to wince at the term "beer garden".

Construction zone currently:

• Branding

• Want to see the space yourself? They will let you in even if you do not complusively post on a local message board:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140711/crown-heights/arts-venue-opening-crown-heights-offers-saturday-preview-tours
  • Global Square attended tonights CB8 SLA mtg.

CB8 has several concerns (noise, outdoor space, security, etc) that have not previously been responded to. However, last year, Global Square submitted an application to SLA without waiting for the CBs support.

In June CB8, sent a letter to SLA stating their concerns and their "non-support".

It is now up to the SLA whether to grant the lic without the CB's support. The Subcommittee feels the SLA will have the same concerns they do.

The applicants appear to have no experience running a similar venue. They have proposed using a security firm which is not presently registered with SLA and other entities.

They appeared in front of the CB8 committee tonight, and were provided with a list of reasons why the CB is not in support of their application.

The applicants were encouraged to scale back their application. ...perhaps nix the outdoor space or limit how late it is open, serve fewer patrons, hire lots of security, yada yada.
  • Assembly member Laurie Cumbo attended the meeting and stated she hopes resolution of the outstanding issues with this application are resolved.
  • It was agreed the CB subcommittee would support:

200 people max
    Outdoor space closes at 10.
    One bar, one lic.

The matter now goes before the full CB on Thursday.
  • Their location is not that far away from Berg'n. So if this goes through, I think they will need to compete with Berg'n for customers.
  • They are going for a crowd who will drink and eat before and after performances. Most of the performances will require advance ticket sales.

Different market.
  • This is pretty infuriating. 

The suggestion that the outdoor space close at 10 is just completely uninformed.  Patrons of music venues rarely arrive before 10pm.  I wouldn't expect anyone on the CB to know this fact, unless they were to consult their offspring.   

If I were them, I would take my chances going without the support of the board, so that they can possibly open up something thats financially sustainable.   

• Don't forget that this is in an M1 zone. There are few nearby residents to disturb.

If they were going for a young nightclub or sports crowd, they would have been annoyed than they were.

However, they are not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook