Brooklyn Back When - Open Thread
  • Good morning friends
    Hi Warren
    Alpine theatre still there.
    Waldecks funeral became bay ridge funeral which is now torn down & becoming condos. Ft. Hamilton still in tact. Toniann went to their HS & did very well there.
    As a matter of fact my 3 children went to
    Fort.
    Hi Anna
    How exciting!! Good luck with everything.
    Going to the dentist now.
    Everyone, have a great day!!!
    :)
  • Hi Judy
    Yes I totally enjoy him.
    & spoil him.
    How is baby Sal. Post some pix.
    I'm sure he's gotten so big!
  • Good morning friends
    Rainy day.
    Have errands to run.
    Enjoy your day & weekend.
  • Good Morning and Happy Saint Anthony to all you Anthonys
    Especially Umbria up in heaven think of you always..xoxoxo
  • Yes Happy St. Anthony's Day.
    Thank cuz for the reminder.
    Xx
  • Congrats to Donna & Kenny on their new grand daughter Emma.!!!
    Xx
  • Good morning friends
    Happy flag day.
    Raise your flag proudly!!!!
    Have a great day!!!
  • Anna ....glad everything is coming along with your move

Donna & Kenny...congratulations on your new grandchild

Hi Patsy, Warren, Debbie and Terry

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads out there!!!! Have a wonderful day tomorrow.

• Happy Fathers Day to all
    Went to see Annie Schralli yesterday upstate.  doing much better.  Was not doing good two weeks ago but now good..
    Going to Trace today for Fathers Day//
    Have a Get Day
  • Good morning friends
    Happy Fathers Day to all the dads
    Out there.
    Enjoy your day!!
    Staying home & BBQing.
  • Happy Father's Day one & all!
  • Happy Father's Day from my husband Gino
    & our grandson Gavin.
    Hope you all had a wonderful day!!!
    Xx
  • Oops upside down & twice
    Lol
  • Good Morning All.
    Gavin is getting sooooo big
    Have a great day all
  • Today's Inspirational Quote (Mon, 16 Jun 2014)
    May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home. May good and faithful friends be yours wherever you may roam...
    — Irish Proverb
  • Good Monday morning to all.
    Had a nice Fathers day. Heard from all three of my children. Of course two of them are Fathers also so I had to wish them right back. We had our usual Sunday Champagne brunch with a carnation presented to all the Fathers and later had our Church Service. I was asked yesterday to take part in two services next week. One here where we live and one at a neighboring Independent/Assisted Living facility.

Saturday we had a very good show in the afternoon. The fellow who performed is an excellent impressionist and a good singer. At night we had a movie. "Saving Mr. Banks". It was pretty good. I thought the acting was superb and NO CUSS WORDS.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) night I am going to see the Rays play the Orioles in Tropicana field. It is a bus trip so I do not have to worry about driving or parking. To those who think older people just sit around in an Independent Living Facility, you are very wrong!
  • Hi-hope everyone enjoyed their special day yesterday..been so busy-spent 4 hours on the phone today just with change of address for S.S., credit cards etc. getting my plane ticket for July 6th..i had so much fun ordering furniture-closing is July 3rd so I had to order 2 mattress sets, 2 bedroom sets, and a living room set..like a kid in a candy store!!! swimming pool is in and the interior is being finished already!  landscaping is also put in!!  my niece & family will be coming down the week after I arrive so I think I'll be quite busy this summer.  Tina & Scott & Justin may come the end of July (Justin wants to see Minnie & Mickey)..still have a long "to do" list but taking it one day at a time.  Have to be out of my apt. by June 30th. will try to get on here by the end of the week.. bye
  • Good morning friends
    Anna you're almost there!!!
    Hi Warren
    You're awesome!!
    I always say the older the wiser.
    Everyone, have a great day ;)
  • Patsy. ...love the picture of Gino and Gavin!!!!

Hello to all...
  • Hi Judy
    Thanx
  • Good afternoon friends
    Hot hot hot
    Going up to 93 degrees today!!
    Ugh!! I hate the heat.
    Enjoy your day & stay cool!!!
  • Hi,

I just want to let everyone know that Jeanette DeSena's sister Rosie Marsella passed away last night.

Sending my condolences to Jeanette and her family.

Judy
  • Yes Judy Robert Lagrecga send me a message late last night. Did not want to post anything until the family did.
    My condolences to Our Dear Jerry Largecga, Jeanette Lagrecga, Marie Lagrecga and Rosie's family. ( Her children and grandchildren)  She will be missed at our next reunion.  She always looked forward to coming every time we had one.  Will be missed much.
  • Good afternoon friends,
    So sorry to hear about Rosie Marsella.
    She will be going straight to heaven.
    My condolences to her family.
    Xx
  • Good morning friends
    Weather great!!!
    Going for a pedicure.
    C u all later.
  • Good morning friends
    Warren where are you??
    Happy Saturday.
    Have a great day!!
  • Here I am Patsy, It's a beautiful sunny warm day here in Sun City Center Florida. Played Bunco last night after dinner. Carol managed to win a few "Bunco Bucks". They can be used at the bar or hairdressers. Think we will skip tonight's movie. Does not look all that interesting. Called "Bernie". Tomorrow I will be taking part in two Church Services. Here and at a neighboring Independent Living place.

Talked to my Cardiologists yesterday. They answered some of my questions about the drug they want me to try. I will have to go into the Hospital for three days while they check the good and bad effects of the drug. It is called Tikosyn. It would replace the Sotolal I am on now. I would be on continuous EKG tests as well as Kidney function tests. Evidently a very strong drug. I need it to stop the A-Flutter I am in almost all the time. Not looking forward to being Hospitalized but it is the only way you can be put on Tikosyn. Not sure when I will do this but it would be shortly. Being in A-Flutter 99.7& of the time is not too good!
  • Hi Warren
    I will say a prayer for you. You're a trouper.
    The movie tonite. is it "weekend at Bernie's?"
    If so, go see it. It is very funny.
    Feel good Warren.

• Good morning friends
    Went to my nieces grad party yesterday
    Here in Brooklyn
    Great backyard party
    Lots of fun!!
    Hope everyone has a great day!
  • Hi everyone;

I had a hard time getting back on. I hope I'm back to stay on. Thank you all for the congrats on my granddaughter. She is so good and going 5hrs at night .
  • Good Morning All,
    You would not believe how busy a retired person can get. Unfortunately most of the time it is for Medical reasons. Waiting for a call back from one Doctors Office to confirm me going into the Hospital for tests on a different heart medication. I have to squeeze it in between the regular appointments Carol and I have with Doctors and Labs. Meanwhile, I got an e-mail from the fellow who runs the Church services I am involved with. He wants me to write and present the Sermon on a Sunday in August when he will be away. All I will get is a Bible reference and I will have to write the sermon based on that reference. Quite a challenge but I think I can handle it.

One grandson graduated from College a few weeks ago and one graduates from H.S. this week. Guess they are not in diapers anymore!!!! Time sure flies.
    Weather here has been pretty pleasant. Sunny in the high 80's every day. Some thunderstorms in the evening. So long.
  • FYI-computer & TV will be unplugged tomorrow..got my plane ticket for the 6th..staying with Jessica after Sunday before I leave..will try to get back on (i'm going to buy a tablet & my SIL will help me)if I can I'll ask my daughter to show me how to post some pics of the grandkids!  otherwise, I'll get back on as soon as I can...Warren-hope you're better, bye to Terri, Patsy, Debbie & Judy for now...bye
  • Anna...wishing you all the best with your move.

Warren ...feel better

Hi to Patsy, Debbie, Terry and Donna
  • Good morning friends
    Hi Donna glad to see you back on
    Send my love to all xx
    Anna...enjoy your new journey in life!
    Warren you are the best!! God Bless.
    I am starting a new job today.
    I will be an administrative assistant in the school right across the street from where I live. I used to work there. From 2001 to 2005 & my spvsr back than who I am still good friends with, asked me to come back & work for her again. So I decided I

Need to make $$$ & I feel great about being back in the working world.
    Everyone, have a great day!!
  • Hi guys
    Had a nice day!
    Went to Debbie's daughters Kati & Samantha's grad party at Debbie's house.
    Kati graduated from college & Samantha from H.S. Good food & lots of laughs & I got to see the Bonavita clan.
    We talked about memories of Park Slope &
    Our parents & grandparents, etc
    Awesome time.
    I hope everyone has a nice weekend.
    Tomorrow home in backyard
    Grilling & maybe in the pool if hot enough.
    Have a great night!

• Hi guys
    Where is everyone?
    BBQ today in the yard with the family,
    Beautiful weather but a little too cool to
    Go in pool. Maybe tomorrow.
    Ok going to read & relax.
    Need my rest, back in the working world,
    Enjoy the rest of your night.
  • Gavin says hello to all!!
  • Good Morning all, you too Gavin,

Unless one of my Grandchildren gets married, we are out of the baby business. A great Grandchild would be a novelty!!!!

My Hospital arrangements are just about finalized. It will be a 3-3&1/2 day stay.
    The main purpose is to see if my system will accept the new heart pill the Doctors are proposing I take to clear up my hearts A-Flutter. It will be in a couple of weeks.

Been quite warm here. Temps in the 90's every day. Patsy, You would not find it hard to pick a day to swim here. Either in the Ocean (Gulf) or in a pool. Anna, pack your bathing suit at the top of the suitcase. You will need it right away when you get down here.
  • Hi guys
    Warren.. Good luck with your stay in the hospital. I pray the new heart pill will work.
    Keep us posted.
    My new job is going well, so far.
    Hectic, but the day flies.
    Everyone, have a great night.
  • hi everyone hope all are ok.anna good luck on your move.my sisterinlaw eve is coming up here from west palm beach for a couple weeks.old goat good luck with your new heart pills.if I missed anyone forgive me.i,m retired and don,t know what day or time it is.and I don,t want to know what day or time it is{ha ha}everyone have a happy and safe 4th of july to you and your families.ok take one day at a time,and do the best you can. bobby c

• Howdy everyone!

Glad to see everyone is OK.

It was so depressing to see the USA lose in World Cup soccer.  But luckily for me, I went to a neighborhood youth baseball game and our team won - that sure made me feel good.  Just to show you my old age, years ago I coached the team's coaches when they were kids! Funny thing is, it was so cold last night - everybody was wrapped in blankets because of the very chilly & humid air and gusty winds.    Thankfully, I had on a long sleeve shirt & thick hoody - but was still cold! Brrrrrrr !

Hope everyone continues to have a wonderful Summer.
  • Hi Everyone,

Warren...good luck with your hospital stay

Patsy...glad you like your new job.....Gavin is getting so big and is adorable

Hi to bobby, prodigalson glad to hear from both of you

Everyone have a great day and a wonderful 4th of July weekend
  • Hi All:

Patsy, I'm glad the job is well. I have not heard from Yazzo yet. I guess I won't.
    Hi Judy: It took a while to get back on. I could only read. Hope all is well with you. Your grandson has gotten so big.

I guess we will talk son. Everyone enjoy the 4th and be SAFE................
  • Hi guys
    Glad to see people posting on here!
    Donna, Yaz may still get in touch.
    Give it time. My fingers are crossed.
    I will talk to you soon. Send my love xx
    Hi Judy
    Job is good & right across the street.
    Until I hit the lottery. Lol
    Hi to Bobby & Richard.
    Glad all is well.
    Everyone enjoy your holiday weekend & stay safe.
  • Cuz
    Where are you?
    Will call you over weekend.
    Xx
  • A Joyous Fourth of July to everyone!
  • Yes enjoy your 4th of July, everyone
    Stay safe!!!
  • "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICAimage
  • Good morning and a Happy 4th of July to all!

Sorry that I can not sympathize with the few Soccer fans in the U.S. It is to me the most boring PROFESSIONAL sport there is. School Soccer at any level okay. But to pay and watch nothing happen for a couple of hours is not for me. The NFL and MLB are what I enjoy. That does not mean I find anything wrong with someone else enjoying it.
  • Happy and Safe 4th of July to all. Enjoy the weekend.
  • "HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
    To all July friends
  • Have a great weekend, my friends
    Had a blast at the BBQ yesterday.
    Spent time with family members &
    Friends. :)
  • Good Morning All and a Happy sunday
    Will come back later and read.
    Have not been here for awhile with this crazy computer...
    Love and miss you all..
  • I read a few things quickly..

So happy you got your old job back Patsy
    Warren  I will keep you in my prayers and Angels all around you  xoxoxo

Anna
      good luck to you. New beginnings

Debbie  Congratulations to your kids on their graduations...Nick is having a few meatballs u there celebrating with Margie and she is having a bingo hot dog.  lol

• Good Morning All

• Hey you guys, a new member posted this recently and maybe some of the park slope natives here may be able to remember the location he is talking about:
    http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/comment/550038#Comment_550038

• Good morning friends
    Have a great day!!
  • Good Morning All

Mamacita I don't remember but maybe when Warren comes on he will remember..

• Hi all. June was a crazy busy month!! Kati graduated from the college of Staten Island and will be attending Hunter college to earn her Masters in Mental Health Counseling. Samantha graduated Ft Hamilton H.S. and will be going to College of Staten Island in September. On top on all that Kati got engaged!! They decided to wait at least 4 yrs so she can finish college. All happy news!!

Patsy so glad you were able to come and celebrate the graduations with us.

Terry I laugh every time I think about my dad and the meatballs lol

Anna guess you're all moved in by now, best of luck.

Judy hope all is well.

Warren I'm saying a prayer for you.

Hi to everyone I missed!!
  • I read a few things quickly..

So happy you got your old job back Patsy
    Warren  I will keep you in my prayers and Angels all around you  xoxoxo

Anna
      good luck to you. New beginnings

Debbie
  • What the hell the above post???   I wrote that the other day????? Did it ever post???
    Anyway.... Debbie  congratulations on all your family's great news..
    Smart to wait four years but it ios so dam expensive these days to get married...
  • Oh now I see it did post...OMG  this is crazy.  It was in my comment box like I never posted it.  lol
  • Good night Sweet Dreams.  Warren hope u r doing fine...in my prayers
  • Good morning friends
    Hi cuz
    Miss you, will call u soon.xx
    Love to my Cuzzies
    Hi Deb
    Will call u soon too
    Just so busy since I'm working
    But it's not a bad gig. Lol
    Warren. Hope all is well.
    Anna how do you like Florida?
    I'm sure everything is going well for you.
    Hi Judy & everyone else.
    Have a great day!!
  • Good Morning All  Have a great day!!!!
  • Good Morning My Cuz i miss you too....Always call my cell I never pick up my messages from my house phone.  Can't remember the code..lol
  • Lol cuz xx
    Talk to you soon.
    Goodnight & sweet dreams to all!!
  • Hello All,
    1st of all I want to thank all of you for the well wishes. I will be entering the Hospital shortly for the minimum 3 day evaluation with the heart drug called Tikosyn. I would rather not put on line the exact dates since I have become very security conscious. Saw my Cardiologist for a fleeting moment today and he assured me that I will come through this what ever you want to call it, just fine. He thinks this drug is just what I need to correct some of my remaining heart problems. There was a character on either Jack Benny or Fred Allen's radio program who's last name was Pierce. He used to say to everything "I hope, I hope
    I hope I hope it all works out okay". Without repeating all those hopes I feel the same way.

The only things I remember at Bartel-Pritchard Square (really a circle) were The Sanders Movie theater, Lewnies Ice Cream Parlor and attached, Lewnies Bar & Grill. Across the street (PPW) was an entrance to Prospect Park. ( there was another Lewnies Ice Cream Parlor on 9th St and PPW. They had a big fresh roasted peanut stand in the store. My Father on occasion would walk me up 9th St and stop at Lewnies. buy a bag of Peanuts and we would sit on a park bench inside the 9th St entrance and feed the Squirrels!) In the middle of BP Square was the big Trolley stop for the McDonald Ave. (Coney Island Trolley) Smith Street Trolley and there was another but I am not sure if it was the 7th Ave Trolley or the Ft Hamilton Pkwy Trolley. The other two corners I am drawing a blank for. There very well could have been a Socony-Mobile gas station with the Pegasus sign. They were all over the place. Remember, Socony stood for Standard Oil Co of NY. I believe they had to spin off Mobil during the Monopoly hearings. How many of you remember "Dino" the Dinosaur on the Sinclair Stations.
  • Hi Warren
    Good luck with the evaluation.
    I'm sure it will all work out fine!!
    I remember the dinosaur b/c I associated it with Dino from the Flintstones. Lol

Hi all,
    Have a great night!!
  • http://youtu.be/T116yHKoUTs

Hi everyone...  Youtube on the Trolley  ENJOY
  • Just read Warren's post
    Will be praying for you everyday
    Warren  the above post has the trolley on Prospect Park West.
  • Good Morning All
    Have a great day
  • Good morning All.....

Good luck Warren I'll be praying for you.

Stay cool everyone.....looking forward to the fall lol
  • Hi Everyone,

Warren.....good luck with your evaluation...let us know how it goes.

Debbie....Congratulations to Katie on her Engagement!!!!!!

Hi Patsy, Terry, Donna, Bobby, Prodigalson, Mamacita and Anna

Have a great weekend....getting ready to have a party in my yard tomorrow for my grandson's 2nd birthday!!!
  • Hi guys
    Judy enjoy!! 2 already!!
    Give him kisses from me.
    Xxox
    Hi to all
    Enjoy your weekend!!
  • good night sweet dreams
    Thinking  and praying for you Warren and hope u r doing good..
  • Good morning, friends
    Beautiful day!! Getting ready to go
    To the dentist. A couple more appointments & I should be done.
    Everyone, enjoy your day!!
  • Warren is not doing too well! While walking to Walgreens this A.M.to pick up a prescription, I tripped on a raised slab of sidewalk and fell on my face. I have scrapes & bruises on my hands, knees and chin. My lip is swollen, my teeth punctured my lower lip inside and is oozing blood slowly. I just ate lunch and it hurt like hell. They will get one look at me at the hospital and they will think I was in a fistfight! Oh well, I am still in one piece (I think!)
  • Omg! Warren
    I'm glad you're in 1 piece.
    Please take it easy.
    Hope you heal quickly!!
    Feel better soon :)
  • Hope you like the card!!
  • Happy Sunday, friends

• Patsy

Your grandson to me looks just like your son did when he was little. Love to all.
  • If the picture works, you will see what I looked like this morning as a result of the fall I had on Saturday!DSCN1004
  • Hi Donna
    Yes, Gavin does resemble Jason
    As a baby.
    Hope all is well. Kiss your grandchildren for me & send my love xx
    Will talk to you soon.
  • I made quite a mess of myself!
  • Warren I feel so bad for you!!
    That was some fall.
    Please heal quickly.
    (You're still handsome)
  • Goodnight friends
    Pleasant dreams.
  • Oh Warren, hope you heal soon....take care of yourself

Patsy....Gavin is getting so big...so cute!!!!!!

Hi everyone....my grandson's party went great...lots of friends and family
  • Hi all. In for some rainy weather these next few days.

Warren...that don't look so good. But thank God you're ok!

Judy....glad you had a good party!!

Patsy.... I need to return your coffee urn lol

Hi Terry Donna and all ❤️
  • OH Dear God Warren

They are going to think you are a prize fighter.  lol
    Feel Better soon..
    You sure Carol did not beat you up?? lol
  • Hi guys
    Judy, so happy the party went great.
    The weather was nice too.
    Hi to all.
    Going to eat & relax now.
    Warren hope you feel a little better today
    Have a great night
    More rain on the way..
  • Hi friends
    Hope you all have a great day!!
  • Hi all stay dry
  • Good Afternoon All
  • Wow what rain we had for the last two days....finally the sun is out today and it's nice and dry out.

Warren.....hope your feeling better

Hi to all....enjoy this beautiful day