The Summer 2014 Brooklynian Gathering: Thursday, July 24th
  • The last Brooklynian gathering was in May, when Ms Whynot and I gave a walking tour of the neighborhood as part of a "citywide day of walking tours" sponsored by the Municipal Arts Society.

The tour was advertised via Curbed, Brownstoner, the MAS site, DNAinfo, etc.

It was good to meet you. We counted more than 70 of you, plus at least 4 people in strollers.

I am pleased to announce the next gathering will occur at 7 PM on Thursday, July 24th (date updated!).

Said gathering will be held at either Z Bar (on Nostrand Avenue), or Berg'n (on Bergen St).

Neither venue has opened YET.

Readers are welcome to try to have us meet at one location vs the other.
      Covenhoven on Classon.
  • Does this mean that Z bar may be open by then? Just in time for the END of the world cup?
  • I hope both are able to open soon, so we have the luxury of choosing between them.

I suppose we could go to one first, then the other. 
     ...not sure about how our "new mom" readers would feel though. 

• This is great!  I can celebrate my 25th birthday with all you guys and gals xoxo
  • Stacey, if you're gonna do that, then I'll celebrate my 15th birthday!
  • Cool we will throw you a quinceanera(o)!  LOL
  • We'll need a pinata!
  • YES!!! I would LOVE to meet some of the brilliant, witty, sarcastic, funny as hell, knowledgeable frequent posters I've been following for years. Brooklynian has truly made a huge impact on me and the way I feel about my community. I struggled when I moved to Crown Heights about 14 years ago during the time when crime was frequent and frightening, but today I really love my neighborhood, and much of that appreciation comes from connecting with others here, learning about the history of my hood, and the people who have been residents forever. I've gotten information on who to call for what, I was given a computer when I was a desperate (broke) student, I've given away things like a brand new, never used couch, etc, and I've met friends, found apartments for friends, furniture and jobs. I found out about some incredible events like film festivals, documentaries about the neighborhood, and cool new businesses, LONG before they opened. LOVE Brooklynian.com, and I tell every single person I meet about it. Looking forward to meeting you guys!
  • ps...came close to meeting someone the other night at the free film about Crown Heights at 1000 Dean Street when suddenly Brooklynian business cards were being given out, but no one seemed to know WHO was passing them out! I would love to get a stack ( a huge stack) of cards when we meet, whoever this mystery person is, so I can give them out to people since I'm constantly writing down the info for every person I meet. Please bring a bunch for us.
  • Argh, I forgot I have a meeting at 8pm 7/17. I hope I can meet up with you guys at 7 then get to my other meeting at 8pm.
  • A batch of 1000 cards were recently ordered, and will be available.

• I picked up a card about a week ago in Meme's on Nostrand. I've been enjoying reading everything on here so far.
  • Welcome to the community Bryce!
  • Thanks!
  • I have recently emerged from carbonite freeze and plan to attend, once my eyes start working again.
  • Ms. Whynot will make an appearance as well.

• --->The new venue has no opening date yet, but those who are hired can expect to start work “towards the end of this month,” Butler said. <---<br />
    http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140703/crown-heights/bartenders-servers-wanted-at-massive-new-brooklyn-beer-hall

Both Z Bar and Berg'n seem as if they won't be open by July 17th. A alternate location will be chosen next week.
  • I'll be there but will not be drinking that refreshing looking beer whynot posted a picture of.  My husband will simply have to drink for 2.  Summer pregnancy stinks.
  • @Xlizellx -
    I don't know if you have been seeing the news, but the public has no sympathy for women who have sex.

Your husband and I will act accordingly.
  • whynot_31 said:

@Xlizellx -
    I don't know if you have been seeing the news, but the public has no sympathy for women who have sex.

Your husband and I will act accordingly.

ha!  Sadly, too true.
  • xlizellx said:

I'll be there but will not be drinking that refreshing looking beer whynot posted a picture of.  My husband will simply have to drink for 2.  Summer pregnancy stinks.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  So happy for you and your hubby!
  • stacey said:

xlizellx said:

I'll be there but will not be drinking that refreshing looking beer whynot posted a picture of.  My husband will simply have to drink for 2.  Summer pregnancy stinks.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  So happy for you and your hubby!

Thank you!!
  • There is a possibility that Berg'n will not yet be open on July 17th. This would cause us to either meet at a different bar, or postpone the event until July 24th.

Do you have a preference?
  • Postpone.
  • That seems to be the consensus on The Facebook version of this thread as well. Over 25 people have rsvp'd there.

I'm actually partial to going out on the 17th and the 24th. The 17th, a few of us could do Covenhoven. The 24th, we'd try to get everyone to go to Berg'n.
  • Sounds good to me.  Increases the chances of me actually coming ;)
  • July 24th is now the new date for the official event at Berg'n.
  • Keep me posted on the 17th. Can't make it on the 24th :(
  • @Stacey -
    Does 7 PM at Covenhoven on Thursday, July 17 work for you?

• Perfect for me
  • See you, and any other readers that want to come to the "small pre-gathering", then.
  • Will Mrs whynot be in attendance?
  • Yes, I believe she will attend both events.
  • As long as you allow folks from other neighborhoods to join in, I might be able to make one or both gatherings.

whynot_31:  we met several weeks ago at Reclaimed Home - sorry I've been too busy to post since then but looking forward to being more involved in Brooklynian.
  • All are welcome.
  • I think I will be able to make both. Have a meeting on the 24th in Manhattan, but hopefully will still be able to meet @ Berg'n...looking forward to checking the new place out as well as meeting you all.
  • I don't know how many people will show up for the mini event on July 17 at 7 PM at Covenhoven, but we will spread a bunch of the Brooklynian business cards on our table so interested people will know who we are.

Based on our appearance, they can then decide whether to join us.
  • I stopped by Covenhoven on a whim around 8:45 this evening. I had just walked over from the farm stand at the Brooklyn Museum. I guess everyone had left, but I found the cards at the bar. The bartender didn't know anything about them when I asked. 
  • 4 of us had two beers each between 7:00 and 8:15 PM.

...we weren't memorable.
  • Hey - speak for yourself mister lol
  • Stacey is memorable, I would never deny that.

The rest of us must have cancelled her out.
  • What an incredibly wonderful method of getting to know the people that make our communities what they are today.

See all you Brooklynians there!

Cheers!

Because Berg'n has yet to open, the July 24th gathering will also be held at Covenhoven.

730 Classon Avenue, 7 - 10.   Thursday.
  • I'm sad I'll miss this, but I have another event all the way up in greenpoint that night. Booklaw is also booked up. Hope ya'll report back on how it went!
  • You'll be missed. Hopefully we will get some newbies and lurkers to reveal themselves.

...you don't need to reveal your real names.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook