Quad (green space) planned for Medgar Evers campus. Designs released.
  • The planned green space for Medgar Evers college continues to move forward. Plans were presented to Community Board 9 where there was some concerns expressed about the closure of Crown st. between Bedford and Franklin.

There was a subsequent public meeting where residents could express there concerns to public officials. Loss of parking and additional traffic on Crown seem to be the major concerns.

Thoughts anyone?? You can see the design here. Looks pretty nice IMO.

http://www.tbany.com/projects_page.php?projectid=298&categoryid=5

Green Space Design

• Looks great. Hope it passes

• Additional pics.

• There was also a piece on the project on News12 Brooklyn yesterday that can be found here..

• Well, a version of this project is again supposed to be moving forward.  From the article it sounds like the folks with real opposition have been satisfied.   

Votes for the original plan versus the new proposal?   Curious to know what people think of the two.
  • This is the first time I'm seeing this.  Pretty cool.  I hope it comes to fruition.
  • I would have preferred that they got a real quad, with no traffic.

However, this a big positive step.

Perhaps they will be able to make it all ped by 2020.
  • How many parking spots would really be lost to this quad? When I used to have a car, I understood how challenging to find a spot in the vicinity (especially when street cleaning day approached) but I wonder whether the potential loss of spaces would be like a drop in the bucket?

Maybe the city can do what I've seen done in parts of Philly and DC: issue street parking permits that give priority to area residents. Everyone else would be limited to parking for a max of 2 hours on weekdays during peak hours. 

I'd also like to see Seeds in the Middle do a farmer's market on that new "quad" #dreamingbig
  • The college would be wise to constantly get street closure permits for that little street:

Music festivals, job and health fairs, green markets, etc. Over time, this will build support for getting rid of traffic entirely.

I suspect the quad will also help make the college more competitive with other BA granting institutions.

...College students like areas where they can sit and admire potential mates.
  • It's not as nice as the initial plan, but it's better than nothing.

• The Seacrest factory is at the end of Crown street there....Wonder which project gets done first.
  • Sea Crest involves a private entity making money for a few powerful investors, while ME's Quad involves CUNY spending money it barely possesses for a diverse array of not powerful constituents.

My money is on Sea Crest.
  • whynot_31 said:

The college would be wise to constantly get street closure permits for that little street:

Music festivals, job and health fairs, green markets, etc. Over time, this will build support for getting rid of traffic entirely.

I suspect the quad will also help make the college more competitive with other BA granting institutions.

...College students like areas where they can sit and admire potential mates.

I think Medgar Evers seems to be coming into its own.

From an article: “We need more of a cohesive, student-friendly campus,” said Jerry Posman, the CUNY school’s vice president.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/medgar-evers-college-finally-moves-15m-plan-transform-crown-heights-st-green-campus-article-1.1863723#ixzz37Xs25okJ

I agree! A more student-friendly campus would help promote student engagement!:)
  • This quad will certainly help its effort to become an institution that is geared toward graduating students with BAs, as opposed to preparing them to transfer elsewhere or grants them certificates.

• Medgar Evers is technically a senior college within the CUNY system. Are you saying that not too many students finish there?
  • For a longtime, I believe it was most attractive to adult students who take classes part time, often during the evening.

Over the past decade or so, it seems to be targeting younger students, who are there all the time.

Currently, I'm not sure what the ratios are between my two crude categories.
  • What is the actual graduation rate at Medgar Evers compared to other BA-granting schools in the CUNY system?
  • "Of the four comprehensive colleges in the CUNY system, Medgar Evers has the lowest four-year graduation rate: 10.1 percent."

Source: http://bkbureau.org/2013/06/14/critics-cuny-rushing-medgar-evers-search/
  • The Q at Parkside's blog mentioned a tidbit that made me understand better local opposition to the plan:

"Folks on Montgomery and Crown between Bedford and Rogers, gorgeous blocks for sure, have felt kicked around and disrespected by Medgar for years, ever since it took root in 1970. Longtime commercial buildings were razed to make way for the college. The college wasn't always friendly and accommodating to community needs, and communication was non-existent. The college even renamed a block after itself. Then, when an unpopular college president announced the $15 million project, tempers exploded."
  • Yes, the last President was so unpopular that even his good ideas were dismissed. It was basically a civil war.
  • Medgar attracts a lot of older students, many of whom come to the school, do two years, then transfer to one of the flagship schools (CUNY, Brooklyn, Hunter, etc) to finish up which is one of the reasons the graduation rates are so low. For many others, they are working students which result in them taking a minimal number of credits for full-time status or matriculating as part-time students. They have a higher graduation rate at 5+ years which is reflective of this fact. It's never really been a straight out of high school, four years of kids growing up kind of school, and if this effort is geared towards attracting those kinds of students its going to need a complete re-branding and re-focusing by the administration
  • The rebranding seems to have started under the prior president.

He was criticized for getting rid of many of the college's remedial programs, including one that helped people who are formerly incarcerated.

While a new president has been appointed, the direction does not seem to have changed; The college seems to be effectively positioning itself to attract a younger demographic that will improve its statistics.

....in exchange for what many believe to be its founding mission and the reason they work there.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&ei=_L_8U826D4qN8gGSoYCICA&q=nu+leadership+medgar+evers&oq=nu+leadership+medgar+evers&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3...4526.18662.0.19434.27.27.0.5.5.4.1471.13462.2-3j13j6j0j2j3.27.0....0...1c.1.52.mobile-gws-hp..12.15.3870.3.20mjrT-N_KU#q=nuleadership+medgar+evers
  • whynot_31 said:

The rebranding seems to have started under the prior president.

He was criticized for getting rid of many of the college's remedial programs, including one that helped people who are formerly incarcerated.

While a new president has been appointed, the direction does not seem to have changed; The college seems to be effectively positioning itself to attract a younger demographic that will improve its statistics.

....in exchange for what many believe to be its founding mission and the reason they work there.  

It was my understanding that the senior CUNY schools (of which Medgar Evers is one) distanced themselves from remedial programs years ago. 

Medgar Evers does have this.
  • This thread http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/32111/battles-raging-at-cuny39s-medgar-evers-college-anyone-involved/p1 has a lot of the background on the 2011 fight for the school and the internal battle around a new direction. It will give you some of the background on the remediation issues and concerns of various factions back then.
  • To my knowledge, the civil war is over and the winner seems to be those for "full time, matriculated students who graduate with BA from THIS institution within 6 years".

I hope the winners like the renewed library and quasi quad.

• Despite the refocusing on 4 year students, Medger Evers remains the armpit of CUNY's senior colleges. I doubt that it is really the first choice of most of the students who are accepted there. Given the lack of preparation of M.E's incoming freshmen, it's unlikely that, in practice, they are able to really do away with remedial coursework. The two year mark exit from M.E. is probably due to the fact that these students have reasonably good GPA's (good enough to be admitted as transfer students to one of the better senior colleges) and also feel that they will have better instructors there. Also, a degree from City College will be more sale-able later in the job market.
  • Yes, making the school attractive to the younger, more prepared students that currently choose places like Hunter or Brooklyn College is going to take more than just some investment in the physical infrastructure.

For decades, the school has had a reputation of being just above a community college; a place where a student CAN obtain a BA but is better off transferring to a different CUNY after 2 years.
  • I've never been to Medger Evers for any actual academic function, but I have taken a few courses at NYC Tech and one held at Kingsborough --- and also having taught high school --- I can say that I was really appalled at the behavior of the average student I saw there. The behavior was not much better than I saw encountered in my inner-city Brooklyn high school. I saw fist fights, a guy entering a classroom and wanting to take on another male student he felt had insulted his girlfriend, and assorted other behaviors that really should have no place in a college of any level. When I was at City Tech, the only students I saw who seemed qualified to attend college were the older ones going for technical courses, trying to advance in their careers. I cannot begin to tell you how poorly prepared some of the students were. I had seen better writing from my sixth grade students years before. Some teachers I had encountered who had graduated from M.E. did not seem much above that level.
  • Photo, news12:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook