The 71st Pct is picked as a training ground for new NYPD grads [aka: "baby cops"]
  • As reported in other media sources (ie I am too lazy to link at the moment), the 71st Pct recently got an influx of officers fresh out of the police academy.

Under the supervision of more senior officers, they are being used to do lots of ticketing and other work.    Today, they were active on Franklin Ave near Union, checking the insurance and registration of every vehicle that passed.   

BsOI7-oCMAAGIcP
  • And here I thought all the DDs in our area were just incredibly popular!
  • During my walk around Nostrand/Rogers/Eastern tonight the increased number of cops was striking. Gotta say, it was a little nerve-wracking to see so many young guys with guns hanging out on the corners.
  • crownheights.info states there are 78 of them.   

• I often see the cops stopping vehicles on that particular corner. Usually Thursdays for some reason. Is this how they put the rookies to work?
  • The 71st just received these rookies.

The police have been very active at Franklin and Union for several months, focusing on the drug trade and hanging out.

It should be interesting to see how 71st uses the rookies and how long they have them.

In the past, they assigned them to Impact Zones. However, I believe that term is no longer in fashion due to the change in leadership: New pct commander, commissioner and mayor.

• Yeah, that's right in front of my building.  They're out there all the time.  Sometimes they set up closer to Union, other times closer to President.  For a long time there was an officer posted in a car close to 24 hours a day at the corner of Franklin and President.  Lately the police presence is decidedly heavier on the south side of the Parkway than the north side.
  • I am seeing so many police out. Feeling a bit like a police state. Not complaining, it's a bit surreal.
  • @mcpoet, I remember that 24/7 police car. I still see cars there but it is a bit more random and not all the time.

Once it left I wasn't sure if i should feel more safe, or less.
  • All depends.  Relative to the gunshots, stabbings, and violence of the early 2000s, I'll take it.  I've seen multiple people shot and killed right at that intersection, or within a couple blocks.  The worst was probably when an elderly woman in a wheelchair (that she was in as a result of getting shot in an armed robbery in the 80s) got hit by a stray bullet and killed.  Heard the whole thing, from the initial shots, the cops on scene, the family members wailing in unimaginable grief upon learning the news.  While I'm ambivalent about living in what sometimes looks like a police state, I'm even more ambivalent about living in the wild west, where you have to be constantly fearful of getting shot.  Lesser of two evils, I suppose...
  • In Impact Zones, the rookie officers enforced every law on the books.

So far, I have not yet heard of the new cops being used to enforce laws like littering.

...but they are reportedly still arresting folks for dealing weed, and keeping people from loitering in lobbies.
  • selling untaxed cigarettes seems a pretty minor crime.

The 71st pct is likely using the rookies for this as well.

• In addition to checking lic and registration, they are also checking the window tinting of cars:

http://brooklynbrief.com/tinted-window-checkpoints-profiling-smart-policing/

By law, window tinting can only be so dark.

• Despite the influx of police there was a shooting today at 1:15 in the afternoon:

7/23/2014 1:15 p.m.|-73.9616396,40.6666762|Shooting |POLICE| Washington Ave & Montgomery St <br> Brooklyn, NY|BROOKLYN: *SHOOTING* WASHINGTON AVE & MONTGOMERY ST. LVL-1 MOB CALLED IN REGARDS. (c) [MNS183]|1406135702|MNS
  • Franklin Avenue between EP and Union today: 

73rd

The basics of how to make a stop, what angle to stand at....    How to interact with angry drivers.

photo:  obi1noly
  • Today, Union between Franklin and Bedford appeared to be closed to through traffic.

I suspect it is an attempt to prevent people from hanging out outside the buildings they live in....

• They always block off Union there to prevent people from turning left and skirting the checkpoint they have set up at President/Franklin. Once you cross EP on Franklin headed south (or turn from EP onto Franklin headed south), you're in the line for the checkpoint, and turning onto Union would be a way around it.  They have this thing set up almost every single day. They move pretty quickly, don't ask for ID or insurance, it seems like they just check the window registration sticker and the darkness of the window tint. And there's always a white shirt or two, and a herd (gaggle? flock? parliament?) of baby cops learning the ropes.

The baby cops have been everywhere for a year or two, with the latest influx coming from the graduation you mentioned. They seem to have to write a LOT if information in their big flip-notebooks; we always see them gathered together comparing notes. We've even caught them chilling in our building lobby before, hiding either from the cold weather or from their supervisors.

They would also climb our interior stairwells to the (alarmed) roof door, set off the alarm, and then run, giggling, downstairs to the lobby. We imagined (the only scenario we could invent that made sense) that the more experienced cops sent them there to open the door as a practical joke (like the famous swimming-pool-on-the-second-floor joke high-school seniors would play on incoming HS freshmen). You would hear a group of 4-5 baby cops tramping up the stairs, then WEEOO-WEEOO-WEEOO the door alarm goes, then CLUMPCLUMPCLUMPCLUMP they come running down the stairs, almost knocking each other over, in a fit of giggles.

My other favorite baby-cop experience was when a small co-ed gaggle tried to get in our lobby. The male baby cops got inside and then slammed the door so the female baby cops couldn't get in, and then laughed at them through the door windows for a while. It was like watching high school kids flirt, but in spotless new cop uniforms.
  • As result of growing on various military bases, I have come to expect hijinks from bored people in uniform.

I've been hearing complaints from people who live in the area that the police are always in their lobby, and that they feel like it is a police state.

It seems to be a case of the police having long standing permission to enter the buildings (under programs like TAP), but only doing so now that they have the manpower and/or are bored out of their minds.

The basics of TAP: http://manhattanda.org/trespass-affidavit-program

Some landlords don't formally participate in TAP, but allow the NYPD in anyway to use the bathroom and whatnot.
  • Cops seem fond of hanging out in my lobby as well, and it definitely isn't part of the TAP program. They're just looking for a way to come in from the cold, usually, or sometimes the heat and to still be able to watch the block. They slide in when people are entering or leaving. And they apparently tell each other about the good lobbies to hang out in. 

It hasn't happened lately but there was a point during one of the recent winters when it did seem too much. It's a little unnerving. 
  • Wait - shouldn't they be out fighting the bad guys and not hiding inside giggeling? Where is our protection. :-/
  • I just wanted to say that "Baby Cops" totally needs to be turned into a new TV show.
  • Agree on baby cops tv show. The real baby cops of Crown Heights?

Btw, they were out there again today.
  • Yeah, they're out there at least a few days a week.  I would totally watch The Real Baby Cops of Crown Heights.
  • As a result of starting this thread, I had the ability to amend its title to include "baby cops".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook