Tinted Window Checkpoint on Franklin Avenue
  • I thought you would enjoy this article I just wrote

Tinted Window Checkpoints in Crown Heights: Profiling or Smart Policing?

I may put up a poll on the article so people can vote.
  • I think it's fair for three reasons:

1) I remember as a kid when my parents had a car, they took it to the shop to get the windows slightly tinted to help keep the car cooler. The shop knew that they couldn't be too dark.

2) Whether you're walking, biking, or driving, it's hard to make eye contact with other drivers and be aware of each other's presence on the road if someone's windows are too dark. It's the same reason while texting while driving or walking across the street is frowned upon.

3) If you can afford to get custom work done on your car, then you're doing alright. This crackdown should therefore not be made out to be a "tax on the middle class".
  • not only crown heights, my friend. i got a ticket on first street in park slope

i bought this car this way, had no idea it was illegal. went immediately to have tints removed, and am bringing to court to fight--the next available court date is june 22, 2015.

(i'd like to note that the guy who removed my tints had tints himself, says he doesn't get ticketed because he has lots of PBA cards. how'd he get them? from the plethora of cops who come to him for window tinting on their own personal cars. why can cops drive around with tinted windows? you tell me...)
  • Huh, I had no idea that professional bowlers have such sway with the NYPD..
  • That certainly would be more fun than donating to a police charity.
  • grwd said:

This crackdown should therefore not be made out to be a "tax on the middle class".

I don't think that's the kind of profiling the article was implying. 

I have a friend who's been pulled over at least five times -- for factory tints. It always amazes me when I read comments from anti-car folks about how many laws you have to be obviously breaking to even get pulled over by the cops, because that has not been the experience of the majority of people I know.
  • In NYC (and probably the US as a whole) there's lots of correlations between things like income, race, education, neighborhood and crime.

NYC's neighborhoods are broken up into precincts, and they seem to assign rookies only in large numbers. As a result, the "winning" pcts have the "luxury" of being able to enforce laws that they usually can not.

Using this logic, no matter which precincts "win", the surge in law enforcement will disparately affect some races and classes more than others.

With me?

Here's where it gets complicated.

In order to not be accused of racial/class favoritism, the pct that serves Battery Park City (largely inhabited by wealthy white folks) would have to receive influxes of rookies at the same rate as other precincts.

Then, those rookies would have to ticket everyone in said pct proportionately.

However, we don't seem to assign rookies that way. We seem to predominantly assign them in areas that are between "cushy" Battery Park City and "violent" ENY.

Areas like the 71st Pct.

In these areas, the competition between classes (and yes, often races) are highest.

In these areas, their presence can have the most impact not just in terms of "reducing crime", but also things like tax revenue and political support.

It shouldn't surprise us.
  • Well it's a traffic law so it's a start. And yes tinted windows are a risk facto for pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers. But not the largest one.

What the NYPD is hopping to catch at these check points are DUIs, guns, drugs, people with warrants i.e. violations bigger then tinted windows.

Of course as we all know any attempt to enfocre any law in Crown Heights is racist. But yes there probably was a some degree of profiling going on.
  • They seem to be stopping everyone on Franklin (near Union) and checking registrations and insurance, as well as window tint.

...so everyone that is driving a car in the neighborhood is being profiled.
  • I walked past this as it was happening around the evening rush. There were many many officers and traffic was seriously backed up. At the time I suspected they were looking for someone who committed a crime. Personally, I don't think this was an effective use of NYPD time.

As far as profiling... I think that is a bit of a stretch but similarly to what whynot said, it would be nice to think new policing tactics are tested equally on a range of neighborhoods that span socioeconomic levels. Sadly, I doubt that is the case.
  • @MasTacos I kind of agree with you. However, the license, registration and insurance check can't possibly hurt. A surprising amount of people let those lapse.
  • I'm all for police learning how to interact with the public in situations that the public is only mildly annoyed at them, and mostly runs the risk of a fine.

The training might help the public as well.
  • Stopping cars for tinted glass discourages users of tinted glass from frequenting that area in the future so the results ars positive anyway.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook