A tower for East Flatbush, 1580 Nostrand
  • Just wow:   23 Stories coming to Nostrand and Tilden

Story and details:
  • Only one block to the subway so maybe they'll get the people who commute to downtown Brooklyn as well as Manhattan.
  • I predict the big Sears lot (between Tilden and Beverly) will go shortly after the Kings Theater opens.
  • I don't think they'll have any problem finding buyers. When I first started looking, I had missed the boat on new condos just around the block from there called The Berkshire on East 28th http://streeteasy.com/building/75-east-28-street-brooklyn#tab_building_detail=1. And I couldn't figure out why developers didn't realize there was a demand for more like them. But 23 stories is WAY out of context.
  • The way Sears is closing stores and losing money they might even consider selling the whole deal especially since they have a store at Kings Plaza. But, who are we to speculate.
  •  But 23 stories is WAY out of context.

I agree. Where are the types of protests like the ones for 626 Flatbush?
  • In this instance, they are unable to invoke "this will destroy Prospect Park"
  • I wonder how all the construction will affect the bus lanes even though they're across the street. I have a feeling it will tie up traffic even worse than it is already.
  • I wonder how many buyers will see SBS as an assett.

For example, do they believe that when it is complete, it will provide them with speedy access to the Nostrand LIRR station on Atlantic?
  • It won't. This is at least ten minutes by SBS then a LONG walk down Atlantic to Nostrand. It's easier to take the local B44 if you are trying to make that transfer as there are at least stairs to the platform near the corner of New York.

I don't understand 23 stories with no interior corridors. What happens if the elevator goes out? I wouldn't be looking forward to a hike up or down that many stairs in an emergency, or in bad weather.
  • Exterior stairs seems to be a hallmark of Hello Living developments. I have been told they don't count toward a building's FAR, whereas interior ones' would.

Hello Living seems to be betting that most buyers are not like @homeowner, and instead will just see the low price per sq ft. relative to buildings with interior stairs.
  • Why would they take the bus to Atlantic when the 3 train is a block away. For the SBS you'd have to walk to Rogers and then that cuts into Bedford. Better just to take the train to Atlantic.
  • I keep looking for some group who will benefit from SBS.

....don't mind me.
  • The group you are looking for is the DOT traffic engineers. It pretty much screws everyone else in some way.
  • Once everyone else is really screwed, the SBS riders may benefit.

Returning to the tower, it will get great views in all directions. ...not sure whether they will have kids or where they will go to school.

E Flatbush is often on the "needs improvement" list.
  • The way Sears is closing stores and losing money they might even consider selling the whole deal especially since they have a store at Kings Plaza. But, who are we to speculate.

This store is always empty too. Lots around the Kings Theater are already starting to change...3 buildings across Flatbush (all 1-story commercial) have been torn down already. Personally, while Kings Plaza is just due south, it's a good 25 minute b41 ride down there. I'd love to see some strong shopping there - beyond a Staples that closes at like 4pm or some nonsense, an Old Navy outlet, and a Stop&Shop with 4 carts total. A renewal in shopping like the Fulton Street Mall would be nice.

But all of this said, how are there no nice restaurants or bars looking at Flatbush near the Kings Theater?? New things coming in near the B/Q/S on Flatbush, but Kings Theater is going to open and there will be nowhere nearby for a coffee, beer, or bite to eat for visitors.
  • SBS makes for an easy trip to Fashionable Bedford Avenue in Trendy, Happening Williamsburg from these condos.
  • Maybe the Kings will have some kind of cafe in the theater sort of like the Pavilion did when it first opened. I don't know if the eatery is still there because I had heard that it wasn't the best but I haven't been down that way in quite a while.
  • whynot_31 said:

I keep looking for some group who will benefit from SBS.

....don't mind me.

I benefit when I go to Target at the Junction. It's faster than any iteration of the B41 on Flatbush. 

If prospective residents find that the immediate area doesn't have the amenities they would like, they can always go outside the neighborhood to find what they like. If they have a car, they can drive to Whole Foods or Fairway. Some limited grocery shopping can be done at the Target at the Junction in a pinch. That Stop and Shop on Tilden sucks. 
  • I suspect that this new building will offer parking.

...Does Fresh Direct presently deliver out that far?
  • It's not no-man's land, lol. Yes, Fresh Direct delivers to 11226. And there's a C-Town on Nostrand, an Associated on Church, and a Met on Brooklyn all within walking distance, though I've never shopped at any of them so I can't speak to their quality. But even if they don't drive, they're a block from the 2/5 which takes them to both the Junction and Atlantic Center.
  • I wonder if they will attract a demographic that wants and has the means to select different choices.
  • Maybe the complex will offer accepting Fresh Direct deliveries as an amentity. That's what The Plex does. 
  • Some buildings not only accept the deliveries while tenants are work, but have a fridge just off the lobby where they store the food until tenants pick it up.

• Maybe the complex will offer accepting Fresh Direct deliveries as an amentity. That's what The Plex does. 

That's the dumbest amenity ever! I LOATHE getting all deliveries except for Fresh Direct. Fresh Direct comes during a very small window of time that you get to schedule. Ie: I wanted groceries between 10pm and 11:30pm last Tuesday and that is when they came because I chose the date and time. It is ALL OTHER deliveries that suck since they come whenever during the day and on whatever day they feel like.

Yes they deliver to 11226 where I live.

And the Stop&Shop on Tilden is great and suburban - but they never have any shopping carts. I think they're the only store in Brooklyn that doesn't either have poles blocking carts from leaving the store or sensors on the carts that lock the wheels when they get too far.
  • Also, Church and Flatbush is apparently getting an IHOP now? Next to the Retro Fitness going in which is next to the Planet Fitness.
  • Yup!

The question is, Will "the change" go more toward Brooklyn College, or Prospect Park?

My money is on Prospect Park.
  • Can't it go both?  The BID near Flatbush Junction is strong and all we need is a few blocks to connect that BID and the area around the Kings Theater
  • It can (and will) certainly go both directions.

Before Kings, "it" was already emanating from:
    Flatbush Junction toward Kings, and from
    Empire toward Kings.

Now, it is emanating from Kings in both directions.

Will the stretch between Kings and Flatbush Junction be "unified" first?    (option 1)

Or, will the stretch between Kings and Empire?  (option 2)

My money is on option 2.

• For which goes first, I agree. I was just reading about the store fronts near Kings and it wasn't that long ago that a large Macy's and a Loehmanns were within 2 blocks of the theater. We still have the Sears. I am hopeful that the area of Kings to the Junction goes the way of Fulton downtown and we get decent stores and aom
  • ...some good food options. Shake Shack?!
  • The Macys on Flatbush closed many years ago. It wasn't a full size store like the one at Kings Plaza and had about half the departments. I used to shop there but the neighborhood got tough at night and people stopped going there. My car was broken into when I shopped there just before the holidays in December and that was in 1983 I think. Pity too, was actually quite a pretty store.
  • That Macy's on Flatbush and Tilden closed when I was in high school (back in the 1990s). 

I don't have high hope for that Sears. Years ago that location used to sell some Lands End items, but that was discontinued. Now the Kings Plaza location is only location in Brooklyn that carries Lands End items. This person believes Sears will ultimately go out of business. 
  • That Sears location is likely earning far more on yearly appreciation of its land than it is on the sale of Kenmore appliances and Craftsman tools.

It could easily be replaced with a large mall and/or housing.
  • the sears building has some sort of landmarked designation, doesn't it? if the business closes down it could very well become housing. which would be sort of cool. plenty of space in the flat parking lot to accommodate some adjacent structures. around the corner from kings. honestly the houses across the street from the sears roebuck are quite pretty little limestone 2 stories and brick townhouses. i think this part of flatbush is overdue for some love!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook