Starlight Lounge on Nostrand
  • Anyone ever go there? I went last summer for the $3 gin and grapefruit but I think it is a gay bar.
  • Yes, the Starlight is a gay bar, and bills itself as "the oldest black-owned non-discriminating bar" in HX magazine.
  • Good to know. What magazine is that?
  • Subject: are you sure?

Jack Krohn wrote: Yes, the Starlight is a gay bar, and bills itself as "the oldest black-owned non-discriminating bar" in HX magazine.

now granted i am somewhat new to the NY gay scene, but there are 2 places called Starlight. Starlight in the east village is a gay bar. I can't imagine Starlight in CH/Bed Stuy being a gay bar too.

and if it is, well hallelujiah, my people, here i come!
  • Subject: i stand corrected

hot damn.
  • There is a good bar on Bedford near St Marks called Brooklyn Exposure. Last time I went there was a live band. Anybody ever go there?

*Not a gay bar
  • jayce,

It's true. Starlight Lounge, on Nostrand Avenue, is a gay bar. I've never been there, but it is definitely listed in HX. I also have a friend who has lived in Crown Heights since 1970 and he, too, said that the Starlight is a gay bar.
  • Subject: yeah, i saw

Jack Krohn wrote: jayce,

It's true. Starlight Lounge, on Nostrand Avenue, is a gay bar. I've never been there, but it is definitely listed in HX. I also have a friend who has lived in Crown Heights since 1970 and he, too, said that the Starlight is a gay bar.

it didnt come up at first because its actually spelled "Starlite" but you guys are right... its a gay bar. how exciting.
  • Is the Starlight ever open? Every time I walk by there, it seems to be closed. I have been allured by the old-school sign, though. Anyone ever been to Larry's Liquid Love? It's on Bedford and Putnam. Looks so scandalous.
  • I have seen that place, it looks more happening than the starlite lounge. I have never been in though. There is another bar right around the corner from me on Nostrand and Lincoln Place called Q's Tavern. That place is not bad if on a friday night but only if you are already shitfaced and on your way home.
  • I passed by Larry's Liquid Love last night. That name is great. I picture entering the place and seeing a gigantic waterbed filled with naked, oily, pulsating bodies.
  • Has anybody been to the new(ish) bar on Washington across from Shane (on the CH side of the street :wink: )? I forget what it's called at the moment...it looks pretty nice, but there never seems to be anyone in there. Maybe I'm just not going by at the right times...
  • bluedove wrote: Has anybody been to the new(ish) bar on Washington across from Shane (on the CH side of the street :wink: )? I forget what it's called at the moment...it looks pretty nice, but there never seems to be anyone in there. Maybe I'm just not going by at the right times...

Maybe you're talking about Ripple? It has been there for years but it used be known as the Butterfly Lounge. I used to go there all the time and it's still a nice place. I liked it better before they renovated though. Does anyone remember when the bar was on the other side?
  • Yep, Ripple, that's it. It was there before? Wow, I must just be super unobservant, because I only noticed it a few months ago, while eating at Shane (which I am a fan of, by the way, except for the fact that they have an anti-Tom's campaign going on. Come on! There's room for you both! When I want kitsch and history and the best pancakes on earth: Tom's. When I want live music with my deliciously fresh garden omelet: Shane's. No need to get nasty.)
  • i always wondered about the starlite! WOW i had no idea it was a gay bar. i've gone to q's on nostrand more than a few times. though not in a while. they had a really good soul dj there. he was just a kid, but he was fantastic.
  • I have lived around the corner (Park Pl) from Starlight Lounge for about 5 years now. And yes it is definately a gay bar. I have been there a few times and enjoyed myself. Be forewarned--the drinks are pretty strong.
  • Subject: Starlite Lounge

To all the questions that have been asked, first, starlite lounge is a gay bar. It's located on the corner of Nostrand Ave and Bergen St , address is 1086 Bergen St Tel# 718-771-3340. It's the oldest GAY BAR in Bklyn, Starlite Lounge has been GAY since 1960 and still is. We are open from tues thru sun tues-fri Hours are 3 pm-1 am, Sat from 3 pm to 5 Am Dancing Every Saturday Nite Resident DJ is Master J, Visting DJ every Saturday nite. Sat lite had been briefly closed due to the death of the previous owner. It is now owned and operated by the previous owner's nephew aka DJ Master J. I hope this clears up any question you guys have about the starlite lounge and if not come see for your self what you have been missing, no need to go to manhattan Bklyn has it all

Im Master J/Resident DJ and Owner and im NYAB
  • is starlite girl-friendly?
  • bluedove wrote: eating at Shane (which I am a fan of, by the way, except for the fact that they have an anti-Tom's campaign going on. Come on! There's room for you both! When I want kitsch and history and the best pancakes on earth: Tom's. When I want live music with my deliciously fresh garden omelet: Shane's. No need to get nasty.)

I have eaten at Shane several times and haven't seen or heard any anti-Tom campaing going on. If it is happening, certainly it is not helping. How is the anti-Tom campaign manifesting.

• Thanks

A good business person would never speak ill of its competion. You out smart your competion by offering better products and outstanding service.
  • Alex wrote: There is a good bar on Bedford near St Marks called Brooklyn Exposure. Last time I went there was a live band. Anybody ever go there?
    Yes, I've been to Exposure and it's a nice place for a drink or a meal. It's got a big bar with a large TV for you sport hounds, and a mixed Caribbean and American menu.

Another place you might want to check out is a great wine bar on Underhill near Lincoln Place. The owner is delightful and they have some great wines. I forget the name.

*Not a gay bar
  • Alex wrote: There is a good bar on Bedford near St Marks called Brooklyn Exposure. Last time I went there was a live band. Anybody ever go there?

Yep, I've been to Exposure and it's fine. Nice bar, with open mezzanine and large TV, all recently renovated.

Also try the wine bar on Underhill at Lincoln Place. Ask for Delissa. She owns the place and she's real cool.

*Not a gay bar

i live around the corner... its pretty packed and loud on friday and saturdays... lots of caddys, mercedes and suv's...

Yep, I've been to Exposure and it's fine. Nice bar, with open mezzanine and large TV, all recently renovated.

Also try the wine bar on Underhill at Lincoln Place. Ask for Delissa. She owns the place and she's real cool.

The wine bar is named "Bar Sepia". They have nice prix fix dinners as well.
  • Haven't been to Starlight in at least 7 years, but back in the early 90s I used to stop there after work on Fridays for the cheap drinks and because it was one of the few places where they would let you smoke a cigar. The general idea was to toss back scotch with beer chasers until the friendly but older and ruff-tuff women who were regulars at the bar started to look good, at which point it was definitely time to stagger on home. The place wasn't noticeably gay to my besotted eyes, but I later saw it listed online as some kind of rare inner-city gay outpost. Who knew?
  • Subject: Fabulous in the '70's

The Starlite Lounge was the creme de la creme of gay establishments during the 70's and the fact that it was Black owned and frequented was a feat unto itself (especially back then). I remember as a teenager seeing Lincolns, Limos, fabulous mink and fur laden gents going into the place.
    Everyone knew it was a gay bar, but back then no one messed with the Starlite. It was too fabulous as was a lot of the bar scene along Nostrand Avenue during the early 70's - there was the Baby Grand, Berry Brothers, The Cave, etc., etc.

Yes... I'm an "old head" from the "hood" :D Catch me on the Landmark post as well.
  • The Baby Grand? Niecie, you're breaking my heart. I remember loving the pink neon piano sign when I was a kid, and wondering what it was like inside. When driving, it was also the landmark to let us kids know we were almost home. Ah, good times!!
  • Subject: who's old?

Niecie wrote: The Starlite Lounge was the creme de la creme of gay establishments during the 70's and the fact that it was Black owned and frequented was a feat unto itself (especially back then). I remember as a teenager seeing Lincolns, Limos, fabulous mink and fur laden gents going into the place.
    Everyone knew it was a gay bar, but back then no one messed with the Starlite. It was too fabulous as was a lot of the bar scene along Nostrand Avenue during the early 70's - there was the Baby Grand, Berry Brothers, The Cave, etc., etc.

Yes... I'm an "old head" from the "hood" :D Catch me on the Landmark post as well.

Anybody talking to the nice folks at Starlite? Brooklyn Papers owes them an apology!

http://www.brooklynpapers.com/html/issues/_vol29/29_38/29_38lesbians.html

Brooklyn Papers wrote: The fall of “Dyke Slope” is particularly evident at Ginger’s, Brooklyn’s oldest existing gay bar.

It's a stupid article to begin with, but Ginger's has limped along in Park Slope for only about 10 years. The Starlite Lounge on the other hand . . .
  • Subject: Re: who's old?

pitu wrote: [quote=Niecie]The Starlite Lounge was the creme de la creme of gay establishments during the 70's and the fact that it was Black owned and frequented was a feat unto itself (especially back then). I remember as a teenager seeing Lincolns, Limos, fabulous mink and fur laden gents going into the place.

Anybody talking to the nice folks at Starlite? Brooklyn Papers owes them an apology!

http://www.brooklynpapers.com/html/issues/_vol29/29_38/29_38lesbians.html

Brooklyn Papers wrote: The fall of “Dyke Slope” is particularly evident at Ginger’s, Brooklyn’s oldest existing gay bar.

It's a stupid article to begin with, but Ginger's has limped along in Park Slope for only about 10 years. The Starlite Lounge on the other hand . . .

lame! I guess Brooklyn Papers has trouble with research.
  • Subject: Re: Starlight Lounge on Nostrand

i went over once to check it out... its cool, i even tried to get local lbgt musicians to gather for a night but the response was blah.

-mike

Alex wrote: Anyone ever go there?
  • I awakened this long dormant thread, on this closed bar to let folks know that it will soon be the subject of a documentary.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crown-heights-shuttered-starlite-lounge-star-documentary-article-1.994577

• Did anyone go to this party? How was it? I missed it, had to work.

http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/starlite-reunion-party-123#post-747537

• I had no idea about its history. By that time it closed its signage was just a rusty tin an it looked forlorn. Shame it could not have looked more viable for a new generation. It has been replaced with an unspectacular convenience shop. Sad.
  • I don't know that we have gay bar in Crown Heights at the moment.

Prospect Heights used to have gay friendly bars in Beast and Cornelius, but now they are gone. Branded flys a rainbow flag, but the scene seems pretty small.

Readers, do any of the bars on Washington and Franklin have a significant gay scene?
  • Friends and Lovers on Classon has a queer dance party on Thursday nights. Looked quite popular when I walked by a few weeks ago.
  • Both Friends and Lovers and One Last Shag have a couple of monthly parties/shows that cater to the queer community. Branded is gay owned and constantly has queer events from drag queen trivia to gay bands playing in the back room. 
  • Franklin Ave in CH has a large enough bar scene that I am kind of surprised there isn't gay bar (or gay nights) there yet.

...or, I could just be unaware.
  • As a gay citizen I can confirm there is no gay bar on Franklin Avenue or in Crown Heights for that matter (r.i.p. Starlite Lounge).  That being said the community is really growing and I wonder if someone will actually take the plunge and open one.   
  • When I toured Global Square, it seemed like it would be gay friendly.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/37947/893-dean-st-to-become-a-beer-garden-located-btwn-grand-and-classon/p1

Contrary to the title of the thread, it is going to be an arts/theater venue with outdoor area, not a "beer garden"
  • I was just looking at Friends & Lovers' Facebook, and they apparently have a queer night.
  • Well, maybe not too soon if the LGBT folks don't get to funding that Kickstarter campaign.
  • It wouldn't surprise me if CH already has a hair salon that was lesbian friendly.

...we have a lot of hair salons.
  • I finally stopped by Friends and Lovers tonight for a friend's event.

Yup. Gay friendly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook