Former laundry at 671 Franklin (near St Marks) returns to market
  • According to management, it was last a functioning laundry 13 years ago.

Today, the orange machines were hauled away as scrap.

The space should be listed soon. There is a back garden.

671 Franklin Avenue

• Those hand-painted laundromat signs are pretty classic— there's a couple in Park Slope, too.

I hope they realize that tearing out those tin ceilings would be a mistake.
  • I hope they keep the ceiling as well.

I wonder what they'll do with the sign...Dutch Boy kept the old sign and put it inside their restaurant.  Maybe whatever is going in will use it similarly?
  • I don't know that there is a plan for the space yet.

I agree, the sign would look pretty good in my workroom - man cave. If they are working on the space tomorrow, I'll ask them if I can have the small hanging sign.
  • I could see a bar/restaurant rocking the laundromat theme! 
  • Or how about a fun laundromat?? When I used to live in Burlington VT we had a place called "Suds and Duds" where you could drink and do your laundry.
  • I always dreamed about a nice library/cafe/laundromat. Wouldn't object to alcohol being served, either.
  • Hopefully the tenant living above the laundry left after filing all of these complaints:

http://apartable.com/buildings/671-franklin-avenue-brooklyn

I suspect the property has recently changed hands, and was delivered vacant. I wonder if the recent upzoning of Franklin Ave provides enough incentive to tear the building down and build something new, and relatively tall.

Good bye tin ceilings?

• hahaha that list of complaints is spectacular. I could see it making for great spoken word poetry. 
  • The second floor apartment appears vacant from the street:   no curtains, no lights at night, etc.

It would be lousy to be the sole tenant of a building which is effectively abandoned.  

I wonder if the tenant's complaints to HPD/DOB effectively forced the sale to a new entity.

As a result of not being in a rent stabilized situation, the tenant's lease was probably simply not renewed.  ...the tenant was merely able to instill some pain on the landlord.

• Why leave the washing machines there for 13 years but not  operate the laundromat?
  • Incompetence?

Death of operator/owner?

Two water and electric meters: The ones for the first floor shut off due to arrears/nonpayment?

Note: My definition of "management" above consists of me asking the guy who was directing the scrapers "how long was it closed?" and him responding.
  • Many of these violations could be fixed with paint and plaster and the heat and hot water violations seemed to have been taken care of. One open violation was that the water temp was TOO hot so apparently the landlord was trying to take care of some of this. For all we know, the oil company didn't get paid or missed a delivery. Otherwise it appears that all these could be taken care of for less than $2500.
  • I agree, the complaints weren't that serious.

These strike me as the types of complaints unhappy tenants file, when they are leaving and want to get back at a LL.
  • whynot_31 said:

I wonder if the recent upzoning of Franklin Ave provides enough incentive to tear the building down and build something new, and relatively tall.

Good bye tin ceilings?

They might just build a 'building hat' a/k/a vertical extension rather than a whole new building.
  • That could work.      The building that has The Classon (located at St.Johns and Classon) did a similar thing:  

2007-807-classon-ave_0
  • Same on the building next to Tooker Alley. Though very, very slowly.
  • I thought that building on Classon, despite appearances, was a completely new construction?

I could be wrong.
  • By the way, I know tin ceilings are seen as fancy throwbacks, but at the time these buildings were constructed they were a very inexpensive way of finishing a space as an alternative to plaster.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of tin.   I preserved it everywhere I could in my house, and even installed new tin in a few rooms, but from a conservation perspective, it's ubiquitous and not particularly valuable.
  • eastbloc said:

I thought that building on Classon, despite appearances, was a completely new construction?

I could be wrong.

The old building remains:

"the corner lot had a three-story brick building, which remained and was incorporated into the new design"

http://www.dunneandmarkis.com/projects/cm/cm807.html

We will have to wait and see if 671 Franklin does something similar.

• Based on the type of work I saw being done today:

A. The building isn't being torn down.

B. The storefront might become a laundry again.
  • Thank god. I really hate BNI. I hope they don't suck.
  • wish they kept the old signage, it was really cool.

3-01224-0008.tCbIV0mp
  • whynot_31 said:

B.

I'm glad my photo was helpful here, lol. Very hard work to stop pushing a sleeping baby in a stroller to snap it, ha!
  • For the record, this photo was taken by montREALlady. I forgot to cite.
  • wish they kept the old signage, it was really cool.

3-01224-0008.tCbIV0mp

There are a couple laundromats on 5th Ave in Park Slope that have the same sign— there must have been a factory painting them somewhere back in the day.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook