Another beauty supply store for nostrand
  • I was utterly dismayed to see yet another beauty supply store on nostrand. Ooh la la beauty is on the corner of nostrand and St. John's. It takes the place of a bodega.

• Don't worry, If the local salons don't patronize it, the storefront will be vacant again.

I can't say I don't like any of existing legal businesses.

...if they can pay rent, enough people like them.
  • A beauty supply place was supposed to open two doors from my office. Landlord gave her three months free rent because the store needed work. Was supposed to open before Mothers' Day. Still not, and no work being done. I suspect the gal who rented it just walked away after paying the rental agent and landlord around $8000.
  • The SBA and the city offer free classes to help aspiring small business owners think about what they are about to do.
  • I kind of feel the same way when I see a new coffee shop, lol. 
  • I'd be dismayed if I saw another coffee shop, for sure. But I was so hoping for something...else. Like the Tarzian Housewares store of my dreams or a classic American diner or a nice wine store or any number of things. Oh well. I guess we'll see if it is successful or not.
  • About 15 years ago somehow I got on the list of insurance brokers the city recommended when they'd lease out a store in a building they'd taken over because the people needed a certificate of liability before they could get the lease.  I got numerous calls from people trying to go into business. No one ever paid more than the deposit so I got smart and started asking them if they knew where they'd get supplies or what it would take to open a store. No one did and a few of them actually asked me what kind of store I think they should open. I told them it wasn't my decision but they needed to do research because I wasn't going to waste my time taking out a policy for them when it wasn't going to be paid. Luckily somehow I got taken off the list after about two years.
  • I know folks who work for BIDs and the Chamber of Commerce. As a result of their jobs, they work with lots of aspiring small business owners.

They tell me lots of stories about unprepared they are:
    -how little capital they have to invest
    -how they don't know the laws that apply to them

A lot of them have something good in their life happen (ie inherit $60k), and then quit their jobs, thinking that they can open a small business.

um, you CAN. ....but you probably should put a lot more thought into this.

...like know the field.
  • I'd be dismayed if I saw another coffee shop, for sure. But I was so hoping for something...else. Like the Tarzian Housewares store of my dreams or a classic American diner or a nice wine store or any number of things. Oh well. I guess we'll see if it is successful or not.

Then the Starbucks under that new building on Franklin and Eastern Parkway. Is that really happening? Right next to The Pulp & The Bean? I can't. And I know a lot of people like the pizza place on Prospect and Franklin, but we need a better place, like Lenny's & John's high up on Flatbush near Kings Plaza. My husband drives all the way there when we want pizza. I agree re the diner, because the one on my block is lackluster, what the heck is it called again? That's how much it didn't leave an impression on me and I live practically across the street. It's on Classon & St. Marks. I remember being so excited to hear a diner was opening there.
  • a. Yes, Starbucks will open a location at EP and Franklin this fall.

b. The pizza place at Prospect and Franklin is Roscoe's.

c. The diner at Classon and St. Marks is Neptune II.

...while none of these western Crown Heights places are "huge destinations", the area around Nostrand will also get similar places over the next few years.

Afterall, I don't think any of these 3 places were around 5 years ago.
  • whynot_31 said:

a. Yes, Starbucks will open a location at EP and Franklin this fall.

b. The pizza place at Prospect and Franklin is Roscoe's.

c. The diner at Classon and St. Marks is Neptune II.

...while none of these western Crown Heights places are "huge destinations", the area around Nostrand will also get similar places over the next few years.

Afterall, I don't think any of these 3 places were around 5 years ago.

Thanks! I just don't remember names of places I don't care for (guess that's normal). Ha. No they weren't around. We've been here for about 7 years, everything is new. The nabe was nothing like it is now, it was still sketchy. Now we have shops where all they sell is cheese, whaaat?! We need a 3br and are bummed that we probably have to leave our nice rent-stabilized 2br with balcony across from Compare Foods. I literally want to cry. The cost of a 3br around here is astronomical and with 2 young kids we're kind of leery about a lot of other neighborhoods. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook