Dog Owners: Use Caution around 454 Prospect Place
  • Out walking my dog just now, I witnessed a man spreading a whole can of Ajax across the sidewalk in front of 454 Prospect Place (south side, mid-block between Classon and Grand).

At first I thought he was preparing to scrub the sidewalk or something, but as we crossed to the other side to avoid it, he gestured to me while explaining to a passerby that "dogs should be walked in the street" or at least near the curb, not directly in front of the property line. I stopped for a second while he ranted on to this girl who'd perhaps had confronted him about it. 

He seemed super agitated - maybe mentally unstable - so I decided to continue on without getting involved. In retrospect I'm wishing I'd snapped a photo. Anyway, don't let your dog lick the cleanser that's all over the place. 

Anyone else witness this? Is it a regular thing?
  • Sounds like another entitled psycho who thinks they own the neighborhood.
  • Sounds like he has some OCD, and is blaming dogs for making his sidewalk unsterile.

http://www.ocdtypes.com/washing-ocd.php
  • OCD is a tendency that some people indulge and others work to control.
  • If he is working to control OCD, he appears to be losing.
  • Crazy knows no age, race, creed, color, sex, neighborhood, or religion. The great unifier!
  • notsayin said:

Out walking my dog just now, I witnessed a man spreading a whole can of Ajax across the sidewalk in front of 454 Prospect Place (south side, mid-block between Classon and Grand).

At first I thought he was preparing to scrub the sidewalk or something, but as we crossed to the other side to avoid it, he gestured to me while explaining to a passerby that "dogs should be walked in the street" or at least near the curb, not directly in front of the property line. I stopped for a second while he ranted on to this girl who'd perhaps had confronted him about it. 

Does he have a problem with dog walkers who don't pick up after their pooches on his property? Just curious. 
  • I can't think of anyone who does not have a problem with people who don't pick up after their dogs.

He seems different than the 99.9%.
  • Thanks so much for letting us dog owners/lovers know.
    Drives me CRAZY when other dog owners don't pick up after their dogs...but maybe he can figure out how to make the guilty owners suffer rather than the animal.
  • Seems to me, that with all his "crazy", he's making a point, whether you think he thinks it's his neighborhood or OUR neighborhood.

As the incidence of dog walkers policing their other dog walkers approaches infinity, then the chance of irrational acts like this occurring would approach zero.

Dog poop carries diseases; I have witnessed small children step in dog mess, and then inadvertently transfer it to their hands (before their parent can intervene). If half as much care was taken for humans as is taken for trees and dogs (they are all living things) then this thread wouldn't have been started.
  • I have met a few people in Crown Heights who have yelled at me for walking my dog on the sidewalk.  From what has been said to me, I've gathered that some of my neighbors have a serious misinterpretation of what "curb your dog" means.  I understand not wanting a dog to do his/her business on your property or in the middle of the sidewalk - it's disgusting and rude - but this does not mean that the only place that you can walk your dog is in the street.  Anyway, from what I've observed in my immediate area, it's typically the people who let their dogs walk around off-leash who are not picking up after them.   
  • I agree that most persons who walk their dogs "off-leash" are least likely to pickup behind their dog. But what is particularly annoying are the dog walkers who walk their dogs along the property line - especially annoying when they are walking against the flow of foot traffic (traffic to the right).
  • I find people who let their much stronger than them dog pull them along on an extenda-leash the most annoying.  Or basically, anyone who can't control their dog.  Somewhere buried in the NY Mental Health and Hygiene laws I believe there is something about it being against NYC code for a dog to eliminate on a building or other privately owned building or fence.  

When I see a well cared for tree well I will walk my dog past it.  I do get annoyed by people who yell at me for letting my dog pee on a tree that is surrounded by weeds and bits of cement and trash.  My dog's pee will not make or break your crappy tree well, and I always always pick up his poo.  
  • @M_Pond if the dog does it's business in the sidewalk that's fine as long as you clean up the solid waste. How is it rude or disgusting? It's a dog on public property. If dogs can't go on the sidewalk where should they go? If people really hate dogs going in front of their property they should move upstate so they can get a fence around their property. Of course they will probably have a public sidewalk running in front of their property. 

@bklyn50 In my experience crazy people will always find something to be crazy for. To try and kill or harm all dogs because a few owners don't clean up is simply insane. I see no reason for responsible people to change their behavior to try and placate a person who seems to need serious professional  help.
  • @newguy88 I personally just think that it's more polite to train your dog to do their business closer to the curb and not in the middle of the sidewalk.  Not to be gross, but the consistency of dog poop is not always a predictable thing, and it's easy enough to avoid an unnecessary mess by veering to the side.  Same goes for letting your dog pee on people's fences, gates, or - as I've seen on my block - motorized scooter. I think that most responsible dog owners (myself included) try to do this, just as a normal courtesy.  I'm not suggesting anything above and beyond this (except for picking it up, which should go without saying).
  • People usually yell when they have had to go out and clean up someone else's dog shit. For every dog owner that cleans up there are one or two who don't. Even if its only a couple of times a month, that's a lot for someone who has chosen not to have a dog.

It sucks that you guys that own dogs get yelled at when you are doing the right thing, but it sucks just as much to come home from work and be greeted by a huge pile of poop in front of your gate. That is both rude and disgusting. I try not to take it out on owners that I see walking their dogs with bags and paper for cleaning, but sometimes its hard to keep from seeing red...
  • @newguy88 The "crazy_person" isn't trying to kill or harm all dogs. He is seeking revenge against dog owners who haven't cleaned up behind their dogs. Dog poop can carry diseases; the proliferation of dogs in the community has caused some folks to act out irrationally when confronted with selfish and thoughtless behavior of others. When I see a dog walker pickup after their pet, I usually take the time to thank them. And more than not, they say they wouldn't have it any other way. The conscientious dog walker wouldn't be placating the "crazy_person"; they would be acting in a way that marked them as a community member in good standing.
    As far as the sidewalk being public property, the property owner can be cited for not cleaning up the dog poop. Although this seldom happens, NYC is always looking for ways to increase its revenue stream.
  • Human litter is a far worse problem in this area than dog waste. This neighborhood's inhabitants are not clean freaks in general, and I bet there's a connection between the people who litter and the people who don't pick up after their dogs.
  • @Bendrix Please come out to the community board meetings and voice your concerns about litter. When you come across very bad litter, call 311 and report it; when you have an incident #, email that to CB8 (or CB9). Ask your neighbors to do the same. Request more public garbage cans for intersections where litter may be dropped (i.e. near fast food shops, bodegas, bus stops, etc.). Litter has become a sad statement in our community. One way to curb this problem is to praise young people who you see properly disposing of litterer. Positive reinforcement can go a long way, and with a young person, can last a lifetime.
  • For this thread to be interesting, I think we need someone to post who defends not picking after ones' dog and is pro-littering.
  • The folks over in Ft Greene are filming people who don't pick up after their dogs.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140811/fort-greene/video-of-dog-poop-scofflaw-sparks-ft-greene-shame-campaign

Seems more sane than the guy described in the OP, but sanity is very subjective.
  • Our litter problem makes me so angry. My ancient, poor as rocks great grandmother used to pride herself on her perfectly swept front porch and immaculate apartment. In a meaningful tone, she would tell me "Soap and water are cheap." No excuses for littering! None! It is just basic courtesy to your community to not litter, it doesn't cost any money or time, and you need no special talents or advantages to refrain from dumping your refuse on the sidewalk or in the middle of the road.
  • In this thread, I argue that we may need to stop arguing about who is to blame, and just hire an org like The Doe Fund or Project Regeneration:

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/36811/trash-on-franklin-ave-is-it-a-mess-or-a-mess#Item_51

https://www.facebook.com/bedstuysprg

It may be far quicker than trying to change the habits of individuals, and be a good use of $.

• While I was out on my lunch break, I noticed that dog poop is AM New York's front page story today: http://www.amny.com/news/nyc-dog-poop-where-are-the-dirtiest-streets-1.8909995

• I live on Bergen street at Classon and there is dog poop all up and down the street on my block, and it gets replaced as fast as the wind or rain or brave souls can clean it up.  I have chastised a couple of people I saw walk away from their dog waste only to get yelled at excessively and now I am just scared to say anything.  I think Litter is a big problem too but I dont mind picking up some littered plastic bags but Ill be damned if I m picking up someone else's dog waste.  What can we do?? I've lived in many neighborhoods in NYC and Brooklyn in my time here and this is the worst litter problem I've seen.
  • Anyone had any experience with fines for not cleaning up after dogs? Signs are posted all over the place (with a very wide range of fines listed), but I don't know if it is ever enforced. I never saw it happening, and I never heard of it happening. 
  • Given that most dog owners pick up after their dogs, I imagine the police would have to stake out the local person who doesn't. They'd have be there at the moment the crap takes place.

On the other hand, dogs are off lease for a comparatively long period of time.

To put it another way, the chances of the police (or Parks Enforcement) driving by and seeing an off lease situation is much greater than a SHITuation.

• Is it true that it is not a cops' responsibility, but that of the Sanitation Dept.? It is not that difficult to cruise the streets during high dog-walking hours and spot the offenders. What good is a law if it cannot be enforced?
  • We may have different estimates the Sanitation Department's resources and interest.

As alluded to above, this seems to be a situation in which people are waiting for help that isn't going to arrive.

Government isn't coming.

• pick up the dog poop, follow the offender home and deposit it on their doorstop.  Use camera phone to catch offender on camera for dept. of sanitation and  post fliers for neighbors to be Aware of people who do not pick up. similar to shoplifter photos.  YES. I am a crank.  the person spreading ajax is nuts because that stuff is blow off and be inhaled by everyone.  That should be reported to the police./.

• Most dog owners pick up poop but there are the majority of dog walkers who let their dog piss on everything, flower beds( killing them) and trash bags (THAT someone has to pick up with hands ! duh!) never thinking about their impact on the community.
  • The only things that gets people more exicted than a dog poop thread is a bike thread, or a babies in bars thread.
  • Maybe we should have the babies on bikes in bars being pulled by dogs who are currently pooping super thread? We might just break Brooklynian if not the internet. 
  • Because I predate the internet, I know that I would be fine without it.

However, I wonder if it could survive without me.

• buddhabop said:

Anyone had any experience with fines for not cleaning up after dogs? Signs are posted all over the place (with a very wide range of fines listed), but I don't know if it is ever enforced. I never saw it happening, and I never heard of it happening. 

I grew up seeing these signs:

I have never heard of anyone getting fined.

When I was a kid in the 80s, the section of Carroll Street where the store Reclaimed Home is now used to be  booby trapped with dog poop. I used to have to dodge it when I was on my way to school. That street is much cleaner now. 

The dog poop is an issue in my complex too; some use grass patches as a de facto doggy run and they don't pooper scoop.

Maybe the "broken windows" approach should be directed towards failure to clean up after one's dog too.
  • I have no doubt that not picking up after your dog in an Impact Zone, in the view if a police officer would result in a ticket.

For better or worse, those zones are not everywhere.
  • Some people do get fined.

Here is a list of how many tickets have been issued for not picking up dog poop, by neighborhood:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140819/fort-greene/map-new-york-citys-most-dog-poop-filled-neighborhoods