Brower Park has friends, and would like more of them
  • The Friends of Brower Park have been busy constructing a Monarch Butterfly Garden, and would like you to join them.

They meet this Sunday, July 27th at 10:30 AM.

• Photo of a recent gathering:

• Apparently they have ordered catapillars, and everything....
  • Realistically, how many milkweeds do they have to plant before a migration will recognize a feeding ground? Not to mention milkweed are invasive in a native way so will sprout up every where in soccer field.
  • Well that would be great if the milkweed sprouted in the "soccer field"  (grass oval)  since the soccer guys have worn the grass down to the dirt, and refuse to use the actual soccer field over on Atlantic.  
    The habitat is meant to help the butterflies AND the bring awareness of preserving habitat for other species aside from soccer players, dog owners and marauding children.
  • I don't think it is nice to describe children who use a public park as "marauding".
    My three children are adults now and I never thought of them or their peers that way.
    My 20 month old grandson now uses the park; he is not marauding either.
  • I would sooner describe the soccer players as mauraders than the children. Though it is just the grass they are destroying. I prefer grass for my daughter to run on. Where is the soccer field on atlantic?
  • @Tsarina, are you talking about the field behind the high school at Utica? Because if you are, its only open to the public for like two hours a day from 5:30 to 7:30 am or something crazy like that. And even then, I think you can only use the track and not the field.
  • I suspect that the organizers of this event are as interested in meeting their neighbors, as they are in creating additional habitat for Monarch butterflies.

• @homeowner, the field is St. Andrews playground and is at Atlantic and Kingston.
  • Ah, I think of that as a softball field, but I can see why folks would suggest it for soccer.
  • tsarina said:

Well that would be great if the milkweed sprouted in the "soccer field"  (grass oval)  since the soccer guys have worn the grass down to the dirt, and refuse to use the actual soccer field over on Atlantic.  

The habitat is meant to help the butterflies AND the bring awareness of preserving habitat for other species aside from soccer players, dog owners and marauding children.

The soccer players have nothing to do with that. That field has been like that for the last 40 years that I can remember. There is a drainage issue. That rehabilitation they tried to do recently (and I told the cats doing it) was a complete waste of time unless the drain on the far side was fixed. All the times they did work in that park, they never addressed that issue.
  • How is the Farmers' Market going?

• "How Can I Improve My Park?" Guide book. I distrust most of this.

improvement is good So long as the park doesn't get renovated into a stroller dominated jungle gym or water theme park like the trend is else where. I love that it currently feels like a little piece of prospect park as it is with lots of grass and trees.
  • An individual has little control over what a park becomes; Such evolution results from the work (or lack of work) of many people.

The park is rapidly changing to reflect the new means and preferences of the surrounding residents.

Photo of the farm market:

• Looks like a nice spread of fruits and veggies!

• whynot_31 said:

An individual has little control over what a park becomes; Such evolution results from the work (or lack of work) of many people.

The park is rapidly changing to reflect the new means and preferences of the surrounding residents.

Photo of the farm market: 

Well, individual input does matter because it is not an evolution as the Parks Dept lives in a vacuum and makes decisions to "upgrade" a park out of habit making them into theme parks for the ease of maintenance over grass and gardens.
  • I'd be tickled if Browe Park became a theme park...as it is, I am thrilled that the grass is getting cut every week this summer!
  • The parks dept seems to match the efforts of the locals.

...if the users don't seem to care for the park, neither does the parks dept.