Has anyone put any thought into the corner store at 98 Montgomery, aka 941 Washington Ave?
  • @mugofmead especially.

Street view: http://goo.gl/maps/nu5wR

This corner store recently closed, and is in close proximity to not only the BBG and Tivoli Towers, but also the soon-to-be construction site that was Sea Crest Laundry.

Lots of foot traffic. No houses of worship nearby, so it could become a bar/restaurant if the landlord was ok with that.

There is a banner annoucing it is for rent, but I can't find a link at the moment. The adjacent storefronts might be part of the deal.

98 Montgomery, 941 Washington

• This place has been on and off the market for the last 5 years.  There is really no other commercial store fronts in a two block radius, which I guess has only been viewed as a negative from anyone looking to setup shop.   The other store front (on the left in the pic) was rented to an artist a few years ago.   
  • It's potential is certainly far larger in the future than it is now.

I expect the folks who "refill" Tivoli, and those who move into the former Sea Crest site to be fans of BBG.

Not sure what I would do with it until then, but bodegas don't appear to be surviving there.
  • I can imagine a nice cafe that appealed to visitors to the garden and the Lefrak Center in Prospect Park, which isn't far. There aren't many other nice places in the immediate area to get something to eat before or after a visit to either park. 
  • I was wondering about that deli that is now closed. It seems to me that in theory, it must be a good place for a bodega since there is not much around in that area, and there must be tons of tenants in those buildings.

I agree that a cafe would be great. Imagine a sweet little Parisian cafe with outdoor seating (Little Zelda, I'm looking at you). There is the cafe inside the BBG but then of course you'll have to enter the garden, and it's a little pricey. Other than that, no, I don't think there is much around.
  • I think a somewhat upscale pizza place could do really well. Something along the lines of Roscoe's (on Franklin) or Amorina (on Vanderbilt) would be affordable enough to attract some of the area's multitude of high school students, while simultaneously not competing with the BBG cafe or the fast food strip that Empire represents.

It would be at the level that it served beer and wine. Kid friendly, like Amorina. Table service for dinner. No Formica. The area lacks casual dining. 

For dinner, one could get spaghetti or lasagna.
  • That bodega finally closed?! 

That would be the only commercial space realistically on Washington Avenue for blocks (either south towards Empire or north towards Eastern Parkway). Is there enough of a market to support whatever ends up there?

If it were some sort of casual dining spot, would it stay open later in the evening (say past 7 or 8 pm)? If it had extended hours on First Saturdays, they may be able to capture some of the First Saturday crowd from the Brooklyn Museum. 
  • Alternatively, I could picture a "nice" grocery store where you could buy everyday basics (replacing the bodega for the locals) as well as more gourmet items like cheeses, nice crackers, meats, etc., for picnics at the BBG and Prospect Park. Come to think of it, there would probably be a market for pre-packed picnic baskets with a selection of snacks and drinks with paper goods. 
  • Speaking of Brooklyn Botanic Garden and picnics, last night was the member's picnic and movie night.  They showed Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  If you live nearby the membership is totally worth it.  For $50 for an individual, $85 for family dual (two adults plus kids), you get free admission, some free guest passes, reciprocal admission at other botanic gardens, parking passes, discounts at their store, an annual gardening handbook, plus admission for all member's events including extended members hours (on Wednesdays) during the summer, members picnic/movie/cocktail nights, etc.  And if you go up to Family Dual Plus you get to bring someone for free every time you go.  Basically, if you go a few times a year you get your money's worth out of a membership.  Plus, kind of like buying a monthly metrocard instead of paying per ride, a membership incentivizes you to go there more frequently.  It really is an amazing place.  Walking the block from Franklin to the garden, it's like being transported to a completely different world.  I like it think of it as my backyard.  It's a beautiful place, and one of the more peaceful respites you can find in the city.  And I swear no one is paying me to say all this (they're always free to though ;-) ). 
  • dl said:

Alternatively, I could picture a "nice" grocery store where you could buy everyday basics (replacing the bodega for the locals) as well as more gourmet items like cheeses, nice crackers, meats, etc., for picnics at the BBG and Prospect Park. Come to think of it, there would probably be a market for pre-packed picnic baskets with a selection of snacks and drinks with paper goods. 

Yes the main grocery stores that serve the area seem to be the Associated at Franklin and Crown, and Western Beef on Empire.

My sense is that many of the buildings that exist in the triangle formed by Carroll St, the shuttle tracks and Washington are now market.

If it sold nice sandwiches, such a place could not only serve the residents of this triangle, but also the employees of the Museum and the BBG. They would no longer have to cross EP for lunch at Lincoln Station, where I regularly see them.

http://goo.gl/maps/x20gD

• mcpoet said:

Speaking of Brooklyn Botanic Garden and picnics, last night was the member's picnic and movie night.  They showed Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  If you live nearby the membership is totally worth it.  For $50 for an individual, $85 for family dual (two adults plus kids), you get free admission, some free guest passes, reciprocal admission at other botanic gardens, parking passes, discounts at their store, an annual gardening handbook, plus admission for all member's events including extended members hours (on Wednesdays) during the summer, members picnic/movie/cocktail nights, etc.  And if you go up to Family Dual Plus you get to bring someone for free every time you go.  Basically, if you go a few times a year you get your money's worth out of a membership.  Plus, kind of like buying a monthly metrocard instead of paying per ride, a membership incentivizes you to go there more frequently.  It really is an amazing place.  Walking the block from Franklin to the garden, it's like being transported to a completely different world.  I like it think of it as my backyard.  It's a beautiful place, and one of the more peaceful respites you can find in the city.  And I swear no one is paying me to say all this (they're always free to though ;-) ). 

Sale items are excluded from the membership discount.

Having membership allows you to get into the plant sale a day before it opens to the public. By the time the public is able to get in, much of the selection has been depleted. 

I like take a walk through the Garden on GP; it's like the scenic way of going up the hill. I used to do that all the time when I was kid before BBG started to charge an admissions fee

Maybe something like Wholesome Gourmet can move in. 
  • What if something complimentary to the garden moved in?

....like a flower or plant shop.

Would an upscale outpost of Natty Garden survive there?

http://www.nattygarden.com/
  • A plant shop would be in direct competition with BBG's gift shop. Unless the price points are lower (which they probably wouldn't be), I don't see how it would make sense.
  • It would be different than the gift shop; More of a focus on flowers and upscale plant gadgets.

Self watering gadgets, fancy pots, seeds, etc.

People who read things like this magazine could make impulse buys after visiting the garden: http://www.hortmag.com/

The purchases would be for themselves, not gifts.
  • The BBG gift shop does sell seeds and some fancy plant gadgets (although selection of the latter changes).

I would like if a potential plant/flower shop were to focus on the urban gardener who wants to grow something fabulous but is limited to growing something compact by space constraints. :) 
  • Not sure why it would be another grocery store. The Associated on Franklin has great products, plus organic. If you want it, talk to the owner, and he'll work to get it. It's better than Bob and Betty's. Cheaper too.
  • I think @dl and I are imagining something like Lincoln Station or Brooklyn Larder.

...of the above ideas, I still like my upscale pizza idea the best. If done right, it might be out of reach of the nearby high schools students but not their teachers and adminstrators.

A little oasis for them.
  • whynot_31 said:

I think @dl and I are imagining something like Lincoln Station or Brooklyn Larder.

...of the above ideas, I still like my upscale pizza idea the best. If done right, it might be out of reach of the nearby high schools students but not their teachers and adminstrators.

A little oasis for them.

Sure...if they 1. sell by the slice and 2. deliver. 
  • I'm thinking the school employees would go there right after school gets out.

...the museum, Medgar Evers and BBG employees would go there during the more traditional lunch hours. Long term, salaried admin and facilities workers, I am looking at you.
  • I would also like to see a nice deli there. It wouldn't need to be Brooklyn Larder, but a small place with good selections that could complement Associated. I always liked Associated, but when you are at that block on Washington, somehow other options feel like they are too far away. It would be great to have the possibility of picking up items on the way to Prospect Park.

• The place closed because after decades of being there, the owner wanted three times the rent. The tennants agreed to almost double, but that still wasn't enough. Despite its lackluster apperance, It was a fantastic and friendly bodega that will be missed. 

Despite the for rent sign still being up, they had a renter mid August. I don't remember what the guys said would be there. But the owner also owns the abandoned space next door. I believe he rented the whole thing out. 
  • That is good news.   I hope he has a great plan for the spaces.
  • The place is dingy but I agree the guys who work there are very nice. Personally, I'd want another bodega/deli. Just needs a bit of a remodel or clean out.
  • Hopefully the folks that @femiredwood mentions have lots capital to invest.    I can't imagine that a similar use will be able to pay the increased rent described.
  • The guys that were there offered to make it prettier and make a few food changes to fit the changing neighborhood but alas....

I wish I could remember how much they said they rented it for...two very different numbers stick out in my head...either $3,000/month or $10,000, lol. I don't know much about business leases so I'm not sure if either of those are likely numbers. 
  •  organic market