What's with the yellow barge, aka Bklyn Childrens Museum
  • Subject: What's with the yellow barge, aka Bklyn Childrens Museum

That thing they are building for the new expanded Childrens Museum is hideous looking. I hope the inside is better

For those that don't know, it's at Brooklyn Ave & St Marks Ave
  • Well, consider what was there before. Looked a lot like a 1950's bomb shelter left over from the cold war.

The new building is mad mod, bright yellow, above ground, and the first LEED's rated children's museum in the country. It will feature geo thermal heating and cooling, solar panels and lots of other cool green stuff, like CO2, occupancy and light sensors. Read more at:

http://www.brooklynkids.org/press/cap_expansion.asp?cap_ex=50
  • Can't wait until they reopen next spring.
  • Capt Planet, you're right that the old one looked like a bomb shelter but the yellow tub thing just seems out of character with the older neighborhood buildings.

I'm more of a limestone guy, not a MAD-MODern guy.

Neighborhood types are always complaining (not just on brooklynaian)about private developers building monsterours buildings that are out of character with the neighborhood. But when the government sponsors the buildings, its OK?

However, I glad to hear that it incorporates LEED systems.

I guess another plus is that the children will be able to see the YELLOW from the subway stations
  • An architect that lives in the neighborhood said that the architect that designed it crafted it as a bird in flight (taking flight??) over the building. Ever since I've heard that I've been trying to identify the bird, but the best I can come up with is it looks like Big Bird got run over on Brooklyn Avenue.
  • Subject: Re: What's with the yellow barge, aka Bklyn Childrens Museum

wirenut wrote: That thing they are building for the new expanded Childrens Museum is hideous looking. I hope the inside is better

For those that don't know, it's at Brooklyn Ave & St Marks Ave

that museum is off the chain! i used to go there all the time as a kid. who cares what it looks like on the outside?? surely not the little kiddies that it is being renovated to educate and entertain.

now..the abandoned buildings and trash along kingston avenue between st. marks & fulton street..now that's something to complain about.
  • Please explain to us older people what "Off the chain" means

Yes, I agree the inside is more important than the outside, and that children will find it entertaining and exciting.

Just don't let them see Big Bird run over.
  • Approximately 7 years later....

The museum is in the process of getting a new roof, with a roof deck that will help it hold onsite fund raisers: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-children-museum-raises-high-tech-roof-article-1.1914067
  • Yeah, the new roof may end up looking nice, but the building is still hideous.  It's that old "lipstick on a pig" thing.
  • wirenut said:

Please explain to us older people what "Off the chain" means

Yes, I agree the inside is more important than the outside, and that children will find it entertaining and exciting.

Just don't let them see Big Bird run over.

Off the chain=fabulous!!
    And fast forward to me now being the parent of a toddler...I can attest that the parents of the thousands of toddlers in Brooklyn couldn't care less about the outward aesthetic of the museum. That yearly membership fee is SO affordable...and just such an amazing place for kids. 
  • While I agree that the inside of the Museum is great, why shouldn't the new construction have been pleasing and not an eyesore?
  • beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I always thought it was supposed to be some weird Big Bird/Noah's Ark mashup.  Also, looking back on the comments, it's amazing how much things have changed in that area as well.  The abandoned buildings and trash strewn everywhere is actually starting to improve in that area.  I lived on Kingston between St. Mark's and Bergen from 2007 through 2011 and looked forward to that area improving.  At that point in time things were decent up until you hit Bergen and then the next block looked like a warzone.  Abandoned buildings, filthy, trash strewn sidewalks--it felt like you were suddenly transported back into the 1970s-90s.  Now restaurants are moving in, buildings are being bought up and redeveloped, and even the Kingston Lounge might be resurrected, which would be pretty cool.
  • The building is colorful, fun, whimsical, and eye-catching. All characteristics appreciated by children. Go figure!
  • It's still butt-ugly, as is that horror perpetrated upon the facade of the once beautiful Brooklyn Museum ... at a cost of approximately $63 million.
  • morralkan said:

It's still butt-ugly, as is that horror perpetrated upon the facade of the once beautiful Brooklyn Museum ... at a cost of approximately $63 million.

That is only your opinion.  As for the Brooklyn Museum, the new facade has opened up the museum to the public and made it much more inviting.  It draws people in.  What was once a formal, sterile building that looked forbidding is now playful.  You can see what is going on in the ground floor entry way and people perform there. You could never tell if anything was going on in that building before.  I bet attendance has gone way up.  And I love that fabulous fountain.  Worth every penny.!
  • I wonder when the apartment building across the street will be done ... Scaffolding has been up for ages.
  • @Crownheightster, I've heard that the building is moving quickly towards completion. I peeped out the sheetrock and electrical installers a while ago. Heard through the grapevine the developer is already talking to interested parties about the units.
  • Exciting! That buildings has been vacant for YEARS...and it will be so great to have it house people again.
  • I think there is a thread on it somewhere. If you get me the street address, I'll see.
  • Tsarina, that may be your opinion --- I'm sorry that you have such poor taste.

As to the museum being much more inviting, the Met Museum in Manhattan is certainly not more inviting looking than the Brooklyn Museum was before this monstrous addition. I don't think the Met is hurting for visitors. In any case, how many dollars have you contributed to the Brooklyn Museum?
    Unfortunately for the B.M.'s finances, most of their big attendance is only on their free first Mondays. 

Those fountains that you love so much, which I agree are lovely, didn't cost $63 million and could have been built without the huge waste of money.
  • I suspect that without the BM renovation, few events would be held in the new first floor space.

It regularly hosts weddings, and other money making affairs.
  • morralkan said:

Tsarina, that may be your opinion --- I'm sorry that you have such poor taste.

morralkan said:

Again that is a matter of opinion.  It is not fact only your opinion. I have an opinion about your negative comments and personal attacks, but I don't really need to share them. Nobody really cares. I feel sorry for you just the same.
  • You are correct about the BM hosting such events and bringing in some much-needed money ... but is that really the purpose of having a museum? If this is really its purpose, they should have simply sold off the exhibits and turned the entire building into a giant catering hall, à la Leonard's of Great Neck.
    The BM simply does not get much traffic unless it is on a free-admission day.

As for you, Tsarina, you seem to delight in answering and opposing any post I make, even one which agrees with something you've said. By the way, you have somehow managed to post as MY comment something which I did not say and which is clearly your own opinion. Please don't play the "poor little injured" girl around here so you are simply a nasty individual. Funny that you say that you don't really need to express your opinion and then proceed to do exactly that. Then again, why expect intelligence from someone whose picture demonstrates that she thinks she looks like a dog.
    Go back to Podunk, from whence you came. You'll be far happier there and at least you'll be among your intellectual equals.
  • She clearly just messed up the quote function and included her post as part of the quote.  I guarantee that she wasn't trying to pass her opinion off as yours..

People like having events in a place where they are surrounded by history, science and art.  A museum making money by hosting events is no reason to sell off the exhibits. 

Also, only one person is being nasty in this thread.....
  • Time to cool it... Before we mods are forced to intervene. Read the Rules: "Be nice!"
  • Whats with all the internet thugging? lol
  • My 1.5 year old loves the Children's Museum.  Every time we pass by he recognizes it and wants to visit.  It's a great building.
  • Apparently you are a mind reader, dac -- and ignore the nastiness of a person with whose opinion you agree.