Drive-by on Union tonight...
  • Just west of Franklin. 3 shots into 2 cars parked on the street. Fortunately no one hit despite a crowd standing outside.
  • Yep. This has been an extraordinary week for Union.
  • Scary. Do you know if anyone was actually inside those cars, or were they empty?
  • They were empty, but a crowd of around a dozen people was on the sidewalk and building steps right behind the cars. It looked to me like they were trying to send a message; they certainly could have hit the crowd if they wanted.
  • You could be overestimating their accuracy, and underestimating their intent.

In general:
    -Pistols are not very accurate.

-Pistols fired from moving vehicles are less accurate.

-Pistols fired by people without any training, and outside of a range are even less accurate.

-Night time also impacts accuracy.
  • Maybe, but the car had stopped and the shots were all fired very low, 30 feet from the crowd.

There is a mobile basketball stand some dudes set up outside the building for games in the street. Looks fun, but it draws a crowd and leaves a mess of empty food containers; plus the games go till 3am many nights; so the building super and landlord always move the hoop farther up the block, where Union crosses over the shuttle tracks. But then the guys wheel it back down the street in front of the building. I asked the super why they aren't content to just play the games 100 yards up the street so as not to keep people up late. He said they don't like it up there b/c it is darker w/ no buildings and thus they are more vulnerable should the Ebbets Field dudes roll up.

Apparently the Ebbets Field dudes are OK with the better lit end of the block as well.

Welcome to Union @ Franklin, Butter and Scotch.
  • Perhaps they could do more checks for outstanding warrants and hotheads under the guise of checking the darkness of window tints?

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44383/tinted-window-checkpoint-on-franklin-avenue/p1

• Why not- they actually were running licenses and arresting people with warrants that night. Daver was moving the car and he got checked. 

What time did this drive-by happen? I didn't hear a thing. 
  • Saddest part of Mike's narrative is the fact that grown men are afraid to literally move from in front of their building to go to the park and play ball because of some perceived "beef" with other young men over territory that none of them actually own.
  • Yes, for those not aware, the courts at Ebbetts Field are only four blocks away. Montgomery and Franklin.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=union+and+franklin,+brooklyn&hl=en&ll=40.667423,-73.95759&spn=0.005477,0.011319&sll=36.714007,-76.936118&sspn=0.185221,0.362206&t=h&hnear=Franklin+Ave+&+Union+St,+Brooklyn,+New+York+11225&z=17

Many of the guys may leave this small area so rarely that it composes their entire world.

....perspective is not present.
  • What "Ebbets Field dudes", @mikedunlap?

There are full-sized basketball courts off adjacent to the Jackie Robinson School, across the street from Ebbets Field. Those courts I believe are under the jurisdiction of the Parks Department.

The Jackie Robinson School also has smaller hoops in its school yard on McKeever Place.
  • @mugofmead111, you're confusing legal jurisdiction with street jurisdiction. The Parks Department may be responsible for them, but who they BELONG to is a completely different question.
  • homeowner said:

@mugofmead111, you're confusing legal jurisdiction with street jurisdiction. The Parks Department may be responsible for them, but who they BELONG to is a completely different question.

That's why I was asking who the "Ebbets Field dudes" are.
  • That's why I was asking who the "Ebbets Field dudes" are.

I don't know who they are other than that they live in the EF towers. That said, I have no idea if the guys shooting last night were from EF.

I'm not sure what the issues are but the basketball I'm referring to isn't happening at the EF courts. It's just a mobile hoop on our block that the people using it don't want to move a short way up our block.
  • Just think, if cars were illegal, then drive-by shooters would have to shoot from their bicycles or skateboards...
  • Booklaw-
    You can't rule out that the shooters were not part of the movement to quickly rid the city of cars.   This mere act could have caused three cars to be off the road:

-   The NYPD confiscates cars involved in shootings.
    -   The two cars shot at could have been more seriously damaged.   
  • booklaw said:

Just think, if cars were illegal, then drive-by shooters would have to shoot from their bicycles or skateboards...

No problem in Crown Heights:

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/bullets-bravery-crown-heights-street-article-1.1330854
  • More fun around here tonight:

New York City Alerts (@NYCityAlerts) tweeted at 1:27 AM on Sun, Aug 31, 2014:
    Brooklyn: 990 President St & Franklin Ave. NYPD reporting male stabbed at location. Aided in critical condition. Crime scene established.
    (https://twitter.com/NYCityAlerts/status/505949946399690752)
  • Thought I heard shots near Crown and Nostrand at around 7.45 pm. People were running away. I wasn't able to find any confirmation if it was shots or firecrackers.
  • The area formed by the shuttle tracks, Union, Rogers and President has more violent incidents than a lot of people realize.

I can't help but wonder if that is where some of the drug dealers displaced from other areas now compete for the remaining trade. This is a mere tweak to their business plan.

When an industry is shrinking, radical changes are needed, not tweaks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook