• What would it take to have a board dedicated to East New York ?
  • Usually we add a new board when we see a measurable percentage of members posting about that area or from that area. Traffic wise it needs to make sense.
  • I understand, thank you.

• I have tried to get ideas exchanged here about East New York but none have panned out.  The only talk we've had of my old neighborhood is with regard to crime and police shakedowns of innocents.  Luckily for me I'm old enough to remember when it was a vibrant area.  So sad to see it fall apart.  Hopefully it will rise up like the Phoenix but I sure won't be around to see it.
  • They might create their own board.

....that's allowed.
  • Thanks for all the links. East New York needs gentrification !
  • I don't know that gentrification is the exclusive solution though some change is definitely better than what it has at present.

Will we ever again see the days when ENY was the cricket capitol of the USA? Will it ever have a new Eastern Park which was the Mecca of American sports in the 1890s?   Not  likely.  But some change - any change for the better - sure would be appreciated. 
  • I don't think will see a resurgence in Cricket in ENY during this Mayor's administration, but we are certanly going to see a lot of new housing replace the unregulated 3/4 Houses.

If all goes as per plan, the new folks are going to be much different than the old.

What is a 3/4 house?
    http://johnjayresearch.org/pri/files/2013/10/PRI-TQH-Report.pdf

How big are the changes planned? http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/06/15/big-changes-coming-to-east-new-york/

• you are correct, any change is welcome. Thanks whynot_31, I never knew that.

• http://gothamist.com/2014/07/30/see_east_new_york_apartments_gentri.php

"Check out the NEW FRONTIER!" this East New York rental listing screams. "Come claim your LOT." Sure, it may be lonely for settlers braving this empty new frontier, but the Gentrification Homestead Act of 2014 promises every plucky pioneer a fresh new start.
  • It is kind of weird to walk around NYU and Columbia in Manhattan.

There used to be college bars and whatnot in the surrounding areas, but now much of the run down "student housing" has been upgraded and is therefore out of students' reach.

Now, you see throngs of young undergrad and graduate students gathering in places like Bushwick, and -soon- ENY.

Should I take a "before photo" of Broadway Junction now?
  • $1500 per month as rent in the worst ghetto in Brooklyn history?

Yikes!

----------

As for fotos of Broadway Junction, yes please put some on the board.  Hopefully it will change for the better though it likely will not match the days when it as the Mecca of sports:

• Prodigalson, do you remember the stores along Belmont Avenue selling dry goods, eggs, and pickles? (maybe not all in the same store)
  • Fortunoff's started on Livonia. They had six or seven store fronts before they went upscale and built their own store in Westbury. Belmont was great to go to up to around the mid 60s. I remember going there with my parents.
  • Prodigalson, do you remember the stores along Belmont Avenue selling dry goods, eggs, and pickles? (maybe not all in the same store)

Do I ever!!!!!!

I remember some old timer selling knishes,  a Puerto Rican from my hometown of Mayaguez selling piraguas,  the many fruit & veggies stands, the knitting shops, the candy stores, etc. In fact, I have often dreamed of these things.  Ad how about those shops where you could buy live fish?  I cannot forget the fresh of all that good, fresh stuff.

As for pickles, I still love my kosher pickles and buy Mt Olive brand which is sold here in St Paul. My favorite shop back then  was Sussman's on Blake near Sheffield Avenue where I grew up.  

Ah, the memories!
  • Fortunoff's started on Livonia.

My dad operated the parking lot on Sheffield & Livonia Avenue.  My first job in life was helping him out when I wasn't in school -  PS 174. 

Max Fortunoff gave jobs to lots of neighborhood folks.  Losing the stores cost ENY a lot of vitality and led to its downfall.

• Sounds like they are proposing to dismantle the subway depot.  I'd hate to see it go.  But if they are going to create new housing, I hope it may include a new ballpark of some kind. That would GREATLY revitalize the area. 

• I doubt the subway and bus depot are going anywhere. DeBlasio and the real estate industry don't control them.

Instead, imagine lots of moderately sized and priced apartments, equipped with triple pane glass to keep out the noise.
  • The subway and bus depot should definitely stay. There are a number of shelters over there and crime, how would that affect the new housing ????
  • - moderately priced -

That's the key.  Hopefully, if ENY/Brownsville/New Lots are to be "gentrified", let's hope it will be done with moderately priced housing.  And let's hope all the parks will be cleaned up so that they can be made for safe, enjoyable family fun.
    moderately sized
    moderately sized
  • The thing about affordable housing is that everyone wants it to be for them.

However, those who actually FUND and BUILD affordable housing have different incentives.

The city FUNDS affordable housing: It primarily wants to reduce the cost of shelters and jails, and to comply with court mandates.

The developers BUILD affordable housing: They primarily want to make money, and don't care who lives in it after it is constructed.

.....while there a lot of people who want moderately priced and sized housing, they usually aren't more powerful than the above incentives.
  • Affordable housing plans hit snag over East New York prices

Even I saw this coming...
  • You mean the government is not exempt from market forces either?

(fake gasp)
  • What would it take to have a board dedicated to East New York ?

Gothamist is on it!

If having a hipster news blog cover you isn't enough, then what is? :) 

• At the bottom of the housing market, single people on public assistance receive $215 a month for housing.

The amount is often paid directly to a landlord, who puts you in a bunk bed filled house in ENY.

If gov was to announce this rate was being increased, the landlords merely increase the amount they charge.

I can't fault landlords for trying to maximize their return on their property.

...at an individual or macro level.
  • I'm sure the good people of East New York were just fine with not having any hipster news coverage. 
  • Me too.

But sadly, media is something none of us get to choose.
  • In response to soaring prices for land and construction, gov doesn't have the money it needs to meet its goals.

It is now looking for ways to make construction of affordable housing be cheaper, and thus more attractive to developers. Allow them to self certify.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall/2014/10/8553747/hpd-plans-major-changes-jump-start-affordable-housing-development
  • Self certify... This can get messy.  
  • Yup. ...my hope is that they get only experienced architects to develop the affordable housing.

Otherwise, they will be able to build the housing but not occupy them because DOB won't issue a cert of occupancy when it is "ready".
  • Does anyone remember the old boxing club on Georgia Ave & Livonia?  Anybody have pics of the old place?  How about action photos of sports played at Jefferson Sand Field?

• Open Lottery:
  • Here comes the plan by the city to improve (or, depending on who you ask, "eliminate") East New York:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/01/east-new-york-gentrification.html
  • The government issues taxpayer financed agricultural subsidies which enhance incomes and assist farmers in  managing the cost/supply of commodities.   Depending on which website you wish to believe, handouts of this kind are anywhere from $10-30 billion per year. This process has taken place for decades. Perhaps the government can  do the same for those who wish to invest in building up their own houses in the urban areas.  This enables people to invest more of their resources and of themselves in their neighborhoods.  I suggest this would improve an area better than by just increasing public housing. 

Such a program could well lead to more gentrification.  But it would not necessarily displace people who already live in places like ENY and who wish to invest in private housing.
  • In the future, we may need such programs in order to allow persons who work for the city in very moderate paying positions (DSNY, DOE, HRA, etc) to afford to live here.

...but at present, we have hundreds of applicants for such positions.

They seem to being commuting long distances and/or crowding into apartments.
  • When I first moved to brooklyn a decade ago to start teaching I was making like 38k. I would have loved an apartment building for other teachers/city workers who make enough to survive but not a lot. other cities have such programs to get people with such jobs to live in less-desirable areas.
  • Very little of Brooklyn qualifies as less-desirable today. I think you need to go to the South Bronx for that.

Which seems like it'd be pretty decent! With the big beautiful buildings on the Grand Concourse, and good train service to Manhattan, and some solid Mexican food around. The schools probably aren't great, but the area doesn't seem that dangerous— the 6 train wasn't running when I was coming home late from a party at a friend's art studio, so I needed to walk over to the 3 train or something with a couple other friends, and it seemed perfectly fine. Not 'wear earbuds and stare at your brand new iPhone' fine, but there seemed to be enough legitimate business & pedestrian traffic along with police patrol that things felt OK.

I'd guess today's South Bronx is far safer than 1995 (or maybe even 2000) Brooklyn.
  • xlizellx said:

When I first moved to brooklyn a decade ago to start teaching I was making like 38k. I would have loved an apartment building for other teachers/city workers who make enough to survive but not a lot. other cities have such programs to get people with such jobs to live in less-desirable areas.

Teachers are unique in that they are younger and more educated than the other groups of city workers I mention.

As a result, I expect them to move far more often than the residents of developments that were built in the past for that mix.

...Ebbbetts Field, Stuyvesant Town, and the Mitchell Lamas come to mind.

• Returning to East NY, this old bank building is about to be torndown and become a 7 story medical building.

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/02/seven-story-medical-office-building-coming-to-101-pennsylvania-avenue-east-new-york.html

For those familiar with the area, it is across the street from what may be the most depressing post office in NYC:

http://goo.gl/maps/XcENP
  • It is also hard to hate change when it comes in the form of yummy chicken wings.

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/super-wings-restaurant-opening-new-branch-article-1.2141459
  • I'm not sure I agree with you about that post office. When I worked in the district office for the schools in that area, I often mailed letters from that office on my way work, generally about 8AM. The service was quick and polite. Mid-morninng was fine also. It was only in the late afternoon that the post officer there was crowded as hell. Was the service as good as the PO on 34th and Park? No, but it was often better than my regular PO on St Johns and Troy.
  • The building on Penn has been vacant since the M & T bank built a new branch at the corner of Atlantic and New Jersey though the owners were trying to rent it for over a year. As for the picture of the post office....that must have been taken a few years back because now ribbon barbed wire runs around the whole roof. I pass by it every morning on my way in.
  • I never thought I would see a mainstream realtor advertise a property on Cleveland Street

http://www.terracrg.com/setups/374-376_Cleveland_Street.pdf
  • $675K is not bad considering you get the building and the extra lot. Figure the owner will take 650. So if the building needs about 300K worth of work and you can get two more apartments in the first floor you have nine units for less than $1 mil. Problem is with all the stairs on the side the building looks like a jail. If the parking lot can be rented there might be some money to be made here.
  • I think you are better off tearing it all down and rebuilding from scratch after the upzone.
  • These income limits are pretty low.

"Thousands will enter, 223 will win"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook