PLG/Crown Heights Food Coop
  • There will be a planning meeting for a proposed PLG/Crown Heights Food Coop on Thursday, 10/15 at 7pm, at the Maple Street School, on Lincoln Road between Flatbush and Ocean. If anyone is concerned about food issues in our area and wants more and better access to fresh, healthy, sustainable food options, please join us.

Our group has been working for a few months now on bringing a food coop to the eastern side of Prospect Park. The Park Slope Food Coop is advising us in our efforts, as is Senator Eric Adams, and we are part of an intercoop league of new and established coops based around the city, all sharing information and resources.

What is a Food Coop?

From Local Harvest:
    "Food cooperatives are worker or customer owned businesses that provide grocery items of the highest quality and best value to their members. Coops can take the shape of retail stores or buying clubs. All food coops are committed to consumer education, product quality, and member control, and usually support their local communities by selling produce grown locally by family farms."

Our goal in opening a coop here is to provide fresh, quality, safe foods at affordable prices, and to hopefully create good jobs for local residents.

Food Coop Planning Meeting
    Thursday, October 15th, 7pm - 8:30pm
    The Maple Street School
    On Lincoln Road between Flatbush and Ocean,
    next to the Prospect Park Subway entrance

Hope to see some of you there!
  • I hope to make it there - is a lease signed for a place already? What stage are you on this project?
  • Thanks for the info. What is your group's name?
  • I'm going to try to make this- we need this SO bad.
  • We are still in the very early stages, but we have applied for some grant money and are making slow and steady progress reaching out to the neighborhood. Originally, we were calling ourselves simply the PLG Food Coop, but we have since realized that we have a better chance of making it if this is a collaboration among at least two neighborhoods, so we are now opening up the floor to find a more inclusive name. At the meeting on Thursday, 10/15, we will be brainstorming ideas, so if you have any suggestions, please come and share them.
  • Any news from the meeting?
  • my boss decided to shit on me all evening, so i didn't get to go...i was just going to post that too. what was discussed?
  • Prospect-Lefferts Gardens Food Co-Op Looking for Health-Minded Members

Anyone joined?  Would like to hear some thoughts on this one vs. Park Slope.
  • I was thinking of holding off until the space actually opened before joining. I think they were hoping to open sometime this year.

Until then I can hit up the Flatbush Food Coop-when I feel like making a special trip. It's right off of the Q and you don't have to be a member to shop.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook