Crown Heights Landmarking Meeting on Weds. 5/24 — Brooklynian

Crown Heights Landmarking Meeting on Weds. 5/24

The Crown Heights North Association and Al Vann are hosting a meeting
about landmarking in Crown Heights on Wednesday, May 24 from 7-8:45 pm. The meeting will be held at St. Gregory's auditorium, 991 St. John's
Place between Brooklyn and New York. This meeting will provide background information about the process of historic designation.

Comments

• I missed this one. Can somebody give a rundown on what happened?
  • Okay, kids, so it was a very cool meeting last night. CHNA hosted the Landmarks Preservation Commission to discuss the progress of landmarking in Crown Heights. Guess what, it is gonna happen!

On June 20 the LPC will 'Calendar' the new Crown Heights North Historical District. This signifies their intent to create this new district and tells the buildings department that they must consider the buildings within the district as landmarked.

On September 12 there will be an open meeting with the commission to allow for debate (for and against) the future district.

By June 30 of 2007 (the end of that fiscal year) the district will be formed.

There are 472 buildings contained within the proposed boundary. The boundary is very difficult to detail but it basically covers all of Dean St. from Bedford to Kingston then down to Brower Park and the half-blocks of Prospect and St. Marks next to the park then back to Dean by New York ave.

The exciting thing about the meeting was that they not only gave out maps for the district they allowed us to take a peek at 'sketches' of possible future phases of landmarking.
  • Laudanum, can you post the sketches/map somewhere for all to see?
    Sounds like they are not covering my block. I wonder how flexible they are in expanding the boundaries?
  • Sorry, guess I didn't make it clear but I do not have a copy of the 'sketch' they showed us about the proposed future phases of landmarking. They allowed to take a peek but then grabbed up all the copies. They said the boundaries are not set so they did not want that info to get out.

Now the maps for Part 1 (the part that will be landmarked this year) I have and I can email someone a image of it if they will publish it somewhere we can link to.

Can someone do this or tell me how I can?
  • Laudanum wrote: Sorry, guess I didn't make it clear but I do not have a copy of the 'sketch' they showed us about the proposed future phases of landmarking. They allowed to take a peek but then grabbed up all the copies. They said the boundaries are not set so they did not want that info to get out.

Now the maps for Part 1 (the part that will be landmarked this year) I have and I can email someone a image of it if they will publish it somewhere we can link to.

Can someone do this or tell me how I can?
    I don't believe the map is on the Landmark website.

I'll try to get a copy of the map and scan it to a PDA. I'll keep you posted.
  • Okay, so I posted a photo of the Historic District Map to Flickr:

http://static.flickr.com/45/154170718_65b656d4b9_b.jpg

It is slightly distorted but the streets and borders are clear enough.

The map probably won't be published on the LPC website until the June 20 meeting (just guessing.) That is also when all press will happen too I imagine.
  • I also want to say that the LPC gave a name for people in CH to contact about questions a concerns about the Landmark District.

Her name is Kate Daly and she gave out her card at the meeting and her title is Director of Special Projects. I guess CH North has special project status, at least until June 20.

Kate Daly
    Director of Special Projects
    Landmarks Preservation Commission
    One Center Street - 9th Floor North
    New York, NY 10007

Tel: (212) 699-7926
    Fax: (212) 699-7797
    Email: kdaly@lpc.nyc.gov
  • Subject: Landmark Meeting on 6/20

Where & at what time will it take place?
  • Subject: CHNA & Phase I Landmark Designation

It's great to see the positive feedback and concern regarding our efforts to obtain Landmark Status for Crown Heights North. We have been working for the past 4 years to acheive this initial goal. Due to the fact that the overall area contains over 1200 buildings, LPC broke the process into 4 phases .. with Phase I beginning its process as discussed on this blog.

The initial boundaries from the 1978 LPC survey has been widely expanded, hence the need for 4 Phases. Since LPC's research staff is nothing like it was some 30 years ago, we enlisted volunteers to help with the photo survey for the majority of the area which was then submitted to LPC to help "fast track" the process along.

Most likely there will be a need for another photosurvey and we appreciate any volunteer help provided.

Our next meeting is as follows:

Wednesday, June 21, 2006
    991 St. Johns Place
    St. Gregory's School Cafeteria (downstairs from the Auditorium)
    7:00 pm
    Orientation for new attendees - 6:30 pm

Visit our website @ www.crownheightsnorth.org or contact Denise Brown @ 718-756-1920 for additional meeting information.

We look forward to seeing you there.[/url]
  • Subject: The cost of landmarking?

My husband and I are closing on a house on St. Mark's Ave, which falls in the boundaries of the proposed landmarked area. While landmarking sounds like a good thing, I'm actually worried about it placing a lot of restrictions on our necessary renovations. To those of you at the meeting, was anything mentioned about this? I've heard of buildings being landmarked and then the owners being forced to comply with all sorts of costly rules. Thanks.
  • Subject: Re: The cost of landmarking?

meeshka wrote: My husband and I are closing on a house on St. Mark's Ave, which falls in the boundaries of the proposed landmarked area. While landmarking sounds like a good thing, I'm actually worried about it placing a lot of restrictions on our necessary renovations. To those of you at the meeting, was anything mentioned about this? I've heard of buildings being landmarked and then the owners being forced to comply with all sorts of costly rules. Thanks.
    If you are buying on the block between Brooklyn and Kingston, you can see the effect of no landmarking: the stubby brick building with parking in the front yard thrown up in the middle of an otherwise pristine row of limestone houses.

The Landmarking Commission is typically concerned with changes that effect the facade of the building. Interior renovations are not a concern. Putting a curb cut for parking in your front yard would be. As would changing the windows in the front of the house or painting the stone facade.

You can get more details at:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/html/faqs/faq_meaning.shtml
  • The LPC spent a lot of time at the meeting discussing the landmark rules and soothing fears. One thing they stressed is that everything on landmarked houses right now will be grandfathered (meaning you do not have to change anything to LPC standards if it is already there.)

Renovations must conform to the standards. So when it is time to change something significant on the house you follow the rules.

The other thing they emphasized is that these rules only govern exteriors and they are primarily focused on elements visible from the street. So if your house is in the middle of the street they pay extra attention to work you might want to do to the facade, stoop, windows or visible roof facing the street. They won't be so demanding to exterior work in the back (not seen from the street.)

Those lucky enough to have corner houses or detached houses have more than one exposed side and have to conform to the rules on any area that can be seen from the street.

Over time, as houses are renovated, the housing stock in landmark districts become more uniform and charming. The LPC really pays attention to make sure changes fit well into the community.
  • Subject: Re: The cost of landmarking?

meeshka wrote: My husband and I are closing on a house on St. Mark's Ave, which falls in the boundaries of the proposed landmarked area. While landmarking sounds like a good thing, I'm actually worried about it placing a lot of restrictions on our necessary renovations. To those of you at the meeting, was anything mentioned about this? I've heard of buildings being landmarked and then the owners being forced to comply with all sorts of costly rules. Thanks.
    Even though it is much more strict - there is a way to receive a grant to repair your home. Check out this website - particularly the "Strip tease in lefferts" entry.

http://renovatingonthecheap.blogspot.com/
  • 4 years later.....

And after much hard work by the folks at CHNA, the expanded area will be considered for landmarking by LPC on June 28th.

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2011/04/lpc_voting_on_c.php

"Commissioner Robert Tierney announced that Phase 2 of the Crown Heights North Historic District, comprised of 610 buildings, will go to an LPC vote on June 28, 2011. The area was calendared in 2009. The LPC will also vote to calendar Phase 3, which is made up of 630 buildings. This announcement was met with much applause by the audience. There is also a Phase 4 in the future. When all phases are done, Crown Heights North will be the largest historic district in Brooklyn."

• what happened to phase 3? Was it ever approved? Does anyone know the schedule? thanks
This discussion has been closed.