Noisy kites in prospect park near grand army plaza — Brooklynian

Noisy kites in prospect park near grand army plaza

edited 4:36PM in Park Slope

Has anyone else noticed this lately?

One person or a small group of people are flying these home made kites that make a loud buzzing sound. It is very annoying. I don't think im alone in not wanting to listen to the equivalent of a running lawn mower hover over my head as I try and relax in the park.

Does anyone know how you would go about filing some kind of complaint about this?

Do you think the police would do anything about it?

Is it technically against park rules to fly a kite that makes amplified noise like that?

Comments

• Woah. I'd call 911 immediately. I mean, it's not like you could go somewhere else in the park. And who knows, they could be terrorist Afghani style Kite runner style, with razor blades on the strings. Think of the children!

• Is that what that is? I knew it was in the sky. I kept looking for RC airplanes.Have you tried walking over to the person and asking nicely if you can help them alter their kite to get rid of the noise? In my experience kite flyers are a friendly accommodating lot. Unless you end up with someone into Rokkaku in which case, yeah, look out for razor blades on the strings.

• If it's the one's I've seen/heard, they've been doing that for years, mostly when it's warmer out. It's hard to imagine anyone that's going to stop it. They aren't that pleasant but the car traffic and helicopters are far more annoying, imo.

I don't think I've seen them anywhere but the northern end of Long Meadow, so you could go down near the ballfields, around the lake, or Nethermead to get away from it. The traffic noise is also less noticeable in some of those areas.

• I think that is the sound of people enjoy a park. It creates a melody with the sounds of children laughing, dogs barking and other heavy breathing activity.

• I respectfully disagree. Of course I don't have a problem with someone flying a kite.But when someone ads a noise maker to it just for express purpose of making noise I kind of have a problem with that. Hell I wouldn't even be bothered by it if the sound was intermittent but it just hovers up there for hours blaring an annoying noise that serves absolutely no purpose.

ringrunner said:I think that is the sound of people enjoy a park. It creates a melody with the sounds of children laughing, dogs barking and other heavy breathing activity.

• I think this is a cultural kite thing, so to speak.They're the same kind of kite- small, specific, non-decorative. I think the ones that are in the park are used in competition.

I found this comment on a website looking for the type of kite it could be.

Quite by chance today I was doing some Kap at a local folly which has been the subject of some controversial graffiti, namely the addition of the cross of St George in support of our lads in South Africa. In the picture a chap, sitting with red shirt, came up to me and explained to me that in his country, Bangladesh, kites were fitted with strips of rubber stretched across the bamboo frame to make a humming noise, which could be heard from some distance away. He then resumed his sitting position facing the setting sun!!
  • what a curmudgeon.

• jgregorie said:I respectfully disagree. Of course I don't have a problem with someone flying a kite.But when someone ads a noise maker to it just for express purpose of making noise I kind of have a problem with that. Hell I wouldn't even be bothered by it if the sound was intermittent but it just hovers up there for hours blaring an annoying noise that serves absolutely no purpose.

Point taken. I missed the point that the kites were set up to make extra noise

• ah, the kite people. i can't stand the kite buzzing and hate that they take over that whole area so it sounds like those miniature airplanes are about to land. this isn't just a little noise. i'm with jgregorie, it's awful

• I was actually in the park this afternoon. If if were not for the fact that I had read this blog I would not have know what the noise was.

I was not the end of the world.

• Kites are actually illegal in the park. I have no idea why, but I have seen people get tickets. Although I do hate the noise, I do really like to watch kites fly...

• Actually got a response from the parks dept

cut and paste is below.

If this issue concerns you as well please send them an email.

INFO@prospectpark.org

Thank you for your correspondence. I have contacted our Chief of

Operations, Josephine Pittari along with our PEP (Park Enforcement

Patrol) officers. Though we would hope that all park users are

considerate of others, this issue does not fall under a prohibited

activity. PEP reports that this area is not a quiet zone and this would

not be considered amplified sound. Furthermore, the kite is not gas

powered and there are no prohibitions on flying kites in this area.

However, we have forwarded your complaint to Charlie Gili, Deputy Chief

of Operations for the Borough of Brooklyn, for his consideration.

Thank you for your interest in Prospect Park.

• I frequently hear these kites at night, often late into the night. I think they must be tied to something and left to annoy us. Tonight I heard them on my way home from the Black Keys concert, and my ears were still ringing. I think I'll look for them in the early evening and see if they've been abandoned.
This discussion has been closed.